Running a one-shot for my 12 year old sister tomorrow.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, so as the title says, I'mma run a game for my sister tomorrow. This will be her first time playing, and she's actually pretty excited. I asked her to describe her character, and she said, "She's a pretty adventerous girl, and she's an archer like I would be.". I also asked her how she fought, and her response was, "She can be pretty tricksy, but also very deadly when she has to be."

That being said, I statted up the following character. My sister's an incredibly smart girl, but I also don't want to overload her with new information so I tried to pick the simplest to understand powers, whilest still being fun. I opted out of a theme and backround just because there'll be plenty for her to learn as it is. Magic items were picked arbitrarily and probably won't even come into play. And the reason I built it for her instead of letting her do so is because I only have a couple of hours with her tomorrow and want to make the most of the time. Unfortunately the only other player will be my girlfriend, most likely playing some sort of tanky leader or something. Cleric, Paladin, Artificer, etc. So it'll just be two people, maybe 3 if I decide to run a DMPC so I can keep things from dogpiling the archer. Anyway, I digress. The character:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 3
Human, Ranger
Archery Mastery: Clever Shot Mastery
Fighting Style: Archer Fighting Style
Ranger: Prime Shot
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 14 Reflex: 18 Will: 15
HP: 33 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +8, Nature +8, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, Stealth +9, Acrobatics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Endurance, History +1, Insight +3, Intimidate +1, Religion +1, Streetwise +1, Thievery +4, Athletics

FEATS
Human: Archery Mastery
Level 1: Disrupting Shot
Level 2: Bow Expertise

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Hunter's Teamwork
Ranger at-will 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike (retrained to Disruptive Shot at Level 2)
Ranger daily 1: Split the Tree
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger encounter 3: Stalking Strike

ITEMS
Runic Hide Armor +1, Vistani Eye Amulet +1, Adventurer's Kit, Longbow of Accuracy +1 (Ranged)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

As I said before, do you think this will be too complicated for her, or do you think she'll be able to grasp it with a little handholding? 

it might be easier for her to play a hunter. ive had it go both ways.

Nothing is every too complicated to play.  In my opinion the complication in the game is too many choice of power and feats for some classes.  This makes it really hard for new players to create character.  And it makes Essentials characters easier for beginners because there are fewer options and choices to make.

As far as the character she plays, do you think striker is the rolls for her?  Is archer the combat style she wants?  

If not ask her how she envisions her character.  Maybe its emulating a character in a movie or video game or book.  Maybe she has something original.  Ask some simple questions that will lead toward roll, some that will lead toward power source or combat style.  Some that will lead toward skill selection, background benefits, theme etc.  Talk to her about races and fluff about them.  Let her pick one she like regardless of the race class sinergy.

My oldest daughter started at 12yo.  She played an eladrin warpriest.  Written up by hand, no character builder.  Eladrins remain her favorite race, and warpriest her favorite class.  Although she has played some awesome characters like elf hunter, warforged warlord, and revenant sorcerer.  She like the leader roll best.

My son is all about melee strikers or wizards.  

Don't worry about the character complexity.  Make a character that she would like to play.  One she feels comfortable roleplaying and well as mechanically playing.

TjD

My 9-year-old daughter has been playing 4e D&D with us since she was 7. Playing, sometimes with a little guidance, is easy. Character creation is the hard part for kids (and some adults).

I found it took one session for her to find her way around the mechanics. After that initial encounter, we never looked back.

Just make sure that your story is engaging, or you will likely lose her interest.

Good luck!
She wants to be that girl from that book/movie.  Just make her a Human Shoot to Thrill build.  Greatbow Prof (cause d12s are fun), Bow Expertise (cause missing sucks), Twin Strike and Two-Fanged Strike (cause rolling lots of d20s is fun), Disruptive Strike (cause off turn attacks are awesome).  She can learn to use all her actions, but she'll get by if she forgets Prime Shot or HQ a couple times.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Unless you've got a really good reason not to, I would start at level one.  Starting at level 3 is just more stuff to learn for no tangible benefit (even if you've got a specific module in mind, you can always level it down).  By starting with magic items you take away some of the impact of the first item she ever finds.

Make sure that you're girlfriend wants to play a tanky leader and that she's not just filling a perceived gap in party roles ;)

Good luck! 
How did it go?
Blah. Sadly, it didn't. It turns out my roommate reformatted his computer and so his printer no longer worked because he didn't have the drivers. I did not know this until she had arrived, and I spent nearly 45 minutes trying to get the printer to work. We finally gave up on it and played video games. We couldn't do pen and paper due to lack of said pens, not to mention how long it would have taken to get things down. Oh well. I'll keep you guys posted next time she's over.

I used D&D Basic to introduce my son (5th grade at the time) to the game.  I stole a Zelda dungeon for a map.  The power-up item was a +1 mace and a pair of Ogre Gauntlets (magic items are cool because the wearer couldn't miss and did lots of extra damage).  My BBEG at the end was a dragon skeleton that spit a stream of knuckle bones at him - and happened to be vulnerable to the smashing mace, as opposed to the pointy arrows the elf (DMPC) was shooting at him.  He had a blast and we got a memorable image in the Boss Room.

He now plays an eladrin warlord and keeps saving my warlock's hide.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign