Clone Wars Season 5

Well, it's that time. The first episode was very video gamey if you ask me, though I did like the trader guy whose ship got stolen.

mild spoiler
Apparently Maul can casually move a shuttle telekinetically while running and dodging blaster fire, compared with Yoda needing total concentration to move a starfighter, but that's just part of the video game aspect of this show
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
The dark side is quicker, easier.
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
I was biting my nails wondering if Obi Wan was going to live through the fight! 
I'm sorry, but a blackhole ate my Death Star. Check out my Eve of Destruction campaign page Check out my Eve of Destruction campaign wiki Check out pukunui's Absolute Dawn (DoD) campaign log

If he was killed, they would have to clone him...

20801.jpg

If he was killed, they would have to clone him...

Not yet another clone story.  You'd think with all of the cloning that goes on in Star Wars, there would have been a war about it or something.  Sheesh.
I'm sorry, but a blackhole ate my Death Star. Check out my Eve of Destruction campaign page Check out my Eve of Destruction campaign wiki Check out pukunui's Absolute Dawn (DoD) campaign log
I did get worried when...

Show
...somebody lost an arm in the three-way duel among Savage, Maul and Obi-Wan (can you call it a "duel" if it's three people?  Triel?).  For a second, I thought it may have been Obi-Wan's arm.  
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
It looks like we're going to get a lot of lightsaber powerups in this season.  One of the previews shows the emperor wielding two lightsabers, obi wan wielded two lightsabers ... taking it to 11 are we?
Yeah, and how many of us sit there and think "okay, he does'nt have have Dual Weapon Mastery, so that's a penalty of -10", or, "move object vs colossal, wow, he beat a DC 35" for everything that happens.... :p

Guilty!

Dart Maul is pretty powerful, not only did he beat the DC of 35, he also moved the shuttle from pretty far away. He may have used a FP to beat the DC, the distance be handeled by Meta Magic, sorry a Force Secret and a FP or DP.

20801.jpg

I haven't even seen Season 4 yet...

I live in the UK and don't have Sky TV, so I have to wait until they are released on DVD and when I have money (or Christmas/Birthday) in order to watch them...
Yeah, and how many of us sit there and think "okay, he does'nt have have Dual Weapon Mastery

That scene played like a wrong note for me because of that! I think it would have been cooler if he fought using his traditional single-lightsaber style.

SPOILER!

RIP Adi Gallia. But I didn't like the way she died. I prefer my jedi masters to die a in a little more heroic fashion.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Yah, almost all the Jedi in Clone Wars dual wield at one point or another, and they're all really good at it. I think the Jedi must all have at least DWMI. And poor Maul spent probably spent quite a few feats and talents becoming good with doublesaber, and now he's down to using only a single bladed. 
Show
Another thing that drew my attention was when Obi-wan cut off Opress's arm, he must have used Severing Strike which means he could have killed him.
Roleplaying definitely changes the way you look at things.
Roleplaying definitely changes the way you look at things.

Definitely.  I try not to let it...I keep telling myself that no matter what the genre, the game mechanics can never be a perfect representation of what happens in the actual stories of a given mythos. The fault lies with the gaming system, not the stories it tries to emulate.  It's kinda like saying there's something wrong with the dollar bills the Treasury Department prints for the fact that counterfeiters can't always make exact duplicates.
One thing I really dug about this week's episode was...

Show

...how Obi-Wan and Yoda were of the firm opinion that there is too fine a line between rebellion and terrorism to have the Jedi get involved in the resistance on Onderon.  It sheds some light on why Yoda remained in exile and Obi-Wan kept virtually uninterrupted vigil over Luke rather than either of them getting involved directly in the Rebellion against the Empire.
An okay episode, I guess.

good and bad

Good: the classic probe droid noise

Bad: sep tank hatches can't be secured from the inside? Republic military advisors can't even teach the rebels to post a perimeter guard? Onderon gets used as a setting, but no mention of its Sith history? (Maybe that will factor into future episodes, but given this show's spotty track record, I won't hold my breath)
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
Still pretty pedestrian this week. Why put this story on Onderon specifically if you're not going to use any of the unique attributes of Onderon? This could be set anywhere. And Ahsoka's attachment issues would be more convincing if they'd expanded the Lux episode last season. But as usual, they cut a good story down to a single episode and expanded the crap stories into multiple episodes, and as a result the Lux subplot this season falls flat.
Still pretty pedestrian this week. Why put this story on Onderon specifically if you're not going to use any of the unique attributes of Onderon? This could be set anywhere. And Ahsoka's attachment issues would be more convincing if they'd expanded the Lux episode last season. But as usual, they cut a good story down to a single episode and expanded the crap stories into multiple episodes, and as a result the Lux subplot this season falls flat.

I thought the episode was ok. I agree with you that the character development was lacking. I also find it a little different to see the jedi working in the shadows and promoting the overthrow of the government. It's not the jedi I'm used to watching in Clone Wars. But it does remind me a little of the Rebellion Era.

On a side note, as a result of playing so much Saga, whenever I watch Clone Wars, I’m always trying to match the rules of the RPG with what I see. There’s no way one ion grenade will take out a Droideka, even if you get it past it’s shields. The ion grenades in the book need to be severely amped up to take out a Droideka. It would have to be changed to something like:

“If you exceed the droid’s DT with an ion grenade, the droid moves -5 steps down the CT.”

Also, did the B1 battle droids on Onderon get refitted? They mentioned that these droids are no longer controlled by a remote processor. I’m wondering if these are upgrades or something.

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

meh.  Apparently, Republic troops just need to arm themselves with a plethora of ion grenades, rather than waste their time with silly, useless blasters.  After all, the droids fight and march in such close proximity to one another that a shot gun burst of ion grenades would eliminate entire squads and platoons in the blink of an eye.  Also, the pavement in the city is slick and non-abrasive, since no one has a problem sliding around on its surface.

It would seem that in addition to taking out the energy plant, the rebels also removed every portable or backup generator.  I find it odd that a city would have access to only one plant.

Oh, and Separatist droids apparently don't have night vision capabilities.  And why would Trade Federation tanks require a driver and a gunner?  After all, the fighters are autonomous, why not the tanks?  Seems like a waste of resources to me.  And droids seemingly have no clue how to fight in urban surroundings.

The Jedi stuck out like sore thumbs, what with their cloaks and cowls.  I don't see how running around open rooftops provides much in the way of cover.

Did anyone else notice how the king's advisor was dressed up like a Nazi?
Yah, almost all the Jedi in Clone Wars dual wield at one point or another, and they're all really good at it. I think the Jedi must all have at least DWMI.

Maybe it's a benefit, per saga's organization rules.  Something like, x number of times per encounter you can treat your character as though s/he has DWMI.  That comes in addition to the benefits to use Surge, mind trick, force push, pull, and so forth.  That is one issue I have with the talent system in saga, particularly regarding Force users, is that they are uberspecialized.  You either have to sink a whole lot of feats and talents into mastering one very particular skill set or overly generalize.

meh.  Apparently, Republic troops just need to arm themselves with a plethora of ion grenades, rather than waste their time with silly, useless blasters.  After all, the droids fight and march in such close proximity to one another that a shot gun burst of ion grenades would eliminate entire squads and platoons in the blink of an eye.  Also, the pavement in the city is slick and non-abrasive, since no one has a problem sliding around on its surface.

That’s true. Also, it seems this technique works on Droidekas. In the movies and Clone Wars, a Droideka is never taken out in a normal fashion, such as with a lightsaber or blaster. It always required some special attack. Ex: Episode 1, the droidekas were taken out by little Anakin who was in the starfighter and fired the ship’s weapons at them. In Clone Wars, Anakin and Ahsoka had to redirect the sniper droideka’s shot to a specific weakness on the droid’s side. Now, apparently you can only take them out with a gentle roll of an ion grenade.

In my RPG, my jedi PC’s are lightsabering the droidekas to death. Oh well.

It would seem that in addition to taking out the energy plant, the rebels also removed every portable or backup generator.  I find it odd that a city would have access to only one plant.

It’s Onderon. A backwater planet. Always has been.

Oh, and Separatist droids apparently don't have night vision capabilities. 

Not all droids have darkvision, especially not cheap B1 and B2. In the books, B1 and B2 don’t have darkvision. That requires a special sensor system to be installed.

And why would Trade Federation tanks require a driver and a gunner?  After all, the fighters are autonomous, why not the tanks? 

No idea. Bad design?

Seems like a waste of resources to me.  And droids seemingly have no clue how to fight in urban surroundings.

Droids have no clue how to fight period. That’s nothing new.

The Jedi stuck out like sore thumbs, what with their cloaks and cowls.  I don't see how running around open rooftops provides much in the way of cover.

I thought the cloaks worked pretty well. It’s when they pull out their lightsabers that they stick out like sore thumbs.

About the darkvision, one of the B1's says: "Switch to Infra Red", or something similar in the last episode. Not that they get a chance to do that before they are turned into scrap metal... So maybe later models have that upgrade?

As for the tanks, maybe they were designed for organics and none bothered to design a dedicated droid tank? It is likely that they didn't have time for development when they had to focus on production. Possible or not, what do you think?

20801.jpg

The STAPs have separate droid pilots too. The tanks aren't an isolated case.
About the darkvision, one of the B1's says: "Switch to Infra Red", or something similar in the last episode. Not that they get a chance to do that before they are turned into scrap metal... So maybe later models have that upgrade?

That's very possible. These B1's seem to be upgrades from the standard B1's we are used to seeing. For instance, these ones on Onderon don't need a remote processor.

As for the tanks, maybe they were designed for organics and none bothered to design a dedicated droid tank? It is likely that they didn't have time for development when they had to focus on production. Possible or not, what do you think?

Very possible. Also, if organic beings are also being used in the droid army, they would be able to fill in for the droid and operate the tank.

Did anyone else see something strange with the blasters used on Enderon? First I observed the blue bolts of plasma, and as they where fighting droids, I though it was ion-weapons. But then I saw the little flame of blue coming out of the droids after every hit. So my next thought was that these weapons where related to the "blue bolt" blasters that came later. I don't like over interpreting an artistic effect as a new SW technology, but this was a bit unusual. Any other ideas?

20801.jpg

Did anyone else see something strange with the blasters used on Enderon? First I observed the blue bolts of plasma, and as they where fighting droids, I though it was ion-weapons. But then I saw the little flame of blue coming out of the droids after every hit. So my next thought was that these weapons where related to the "blue bolt" blasters that came later. I don't like over interpreting an artistic effect as a new SW technology, but this was a bit unusual. Any other ideas?

20801.jpg

I noticed the same thing, but I have no idea what significance it's supposed to have.
I just thought the blue flames were a weird effect to make the ion blasters seem more dramatic.

While the biological components of the Separatist army is a reasonable cause for not droidifying the tanks, it doesn't account for the fact that these tanks were being used by the Trade Federation prior to the Clone Wars.  Prior to the Separatist confederacy, I don't think there were many if any biological components that would warrant having the tanks not droidified.

In my opinion the Jedi cloaks were too obvious to make for a decent disguise, as I don't recall seeing any of the locals walking around in cloaks or with cowls covering their faces.  Thus, their attire should have drawn unwanted attention and scrutiny.  Then again, the Separatists are misfits, with the droid army the GFFA's equivalent to keystone cops.

Finally, I think it implausible that an organization that relies so heavily upon droids for its military might wouldn't have taken steps to strengthen and insulate said droids from ion weapons.  Just as modern military assets (e.g. tanks, ships, airplanes, etc) have been hardened against EMPs, the droids would have been hardened against ion energy.  Just saying.
Finally, I think it implausible that an organization that relies so heavily upon droids for its military might wouldn't have taken steps to strengthen and insulate said droids from ion weapons.  Just as modern military assets (e.g. tanks, ships, airplanes, etc) have been hardened against EMPs, the droids would have been hardened against ion energy.  Just saying.

Too expensive. It's cheaper to just make more droids.

Same could probably be said for the tanks and why they still need drivers and gunners.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Pretty uninteresting episode this week. I want to see some Quilan Vos!

Too expensive. It's cheaper to just make more droids.

As I mentioned in the other thread, financial constraints have never really been a serious consideration in the GFFA.
This season has been pretty meh thus far.  The Onderon arc has been flat, thus far.  Not sure why they didn't just take the usurper-king with them as a prisoner when they had him.  Interestingly enough, the weapons used by the rebels in this last episode didn't appear to be ion weapons but full-fledged blasters.  The Separatists are idiots--the rebels move about on the roof tops without any effort at hiding, so that a simple air recon or patrol by the droids would spot them easily enough.  Not sure why the rebels thought they could save the king and Saw (I think that's his name) with less than a dozen soldiers.  Ashoka powered up, almost over 9,000.  The animators are still struggling to give the characters a sense of life-like motion, even in the most mundane actions.  I would like to see some serious character development on the part of Anakin--as we get 0 development in the movies--especially as the show moves closer and closer to Episode III.

Is this the last season?

Ahsoka really should have spent a DP to negate that blaster hit. ;)
I doubt they'll end the Clone Wars this season. Someone mentioned in another thread that last seasons try to pull in a big audience, so if this was last season, LucasFilms would have made sure everyone knew. Also, LucasFilms is still making money off the Clone Wars, so it's doubtful they'll stop now.

I live in the UK and don't have Sky TV, so I have to wait until they are released on DVD and when I have money (or Christmas/Birthday) in order to watch them...

I'm in the same boat down here in NZ. Frown
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

I'm in the same boat down here in NZ. Frown

I am truly sorry to hear that you two.

Will the Disney aquisition of Lucasarts have an impact on the series? 
RIP Kit Fisto When your using CL 18 Stormtroopers, it might be time to roll up a new campaign. I think I may be the last person on the planet who doesn't think zombies are the coolest things ever... [spoiler]I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
[\spoiler]
I doubt it, Disney owns the company now, but someone from Lucasfilms is still in charge of the division.  And if it does, it probably won't take effect til after Season 6 or so.
Ok good, I wasn't sure. I like the show, and am in now hurry to see it go.
RIP Kit Fisto When your using CL 18 Stormtroopers, it might be time to roll up a new campaign. I think I may be the last person on the planet who doesn't think zombies are the coolest things ever... [spoiler]I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
[\spoiler]
Very kid-friendly episode today. 

And it teaches us one thing:  Wookiee padawans are a loophole to the "no more Wookiee Jedi" rule.

...well, okay...two things:  The Gathering makes a great skill challenge for a party of 1st level Jedi.