Exile and Return??

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just recently returned to the game. When I originally left, the term "Exile" had only recently been added, replacing the old "Remove from game"... Now I find that Exile has taken on some new dynamics in the game. The Exile and Return mechanic seemed basic to me, exile a creature, which would thereby cause anything attatched to it to fizzle. But someone said it was also used to dodge spells, (kill, exile, enchantment, ect...). How can you dodge a spell by Exiling something, then immediately returning it to play? When it returns, wouldn't it still be a legal target as though it never left, since the exile-return would resolve before the spell that targeted it in the first place?
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20798.jpg)
When it enters the battlefield it is a completely new copy of it.
The original spell can't target it as it passes through zones, therefor it doesn't recognize it when it resolves. 
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
When an object changes zones it becomes a completely new object with no memory of the previous (exiled) one. If your opponent casts Doom Blade on your Arbor Elf and you Cloudshift it, then the returning elf will be a completely new creature, thus making the Doom Blade fizzle because its only target (the original Arbor Elf) is gone
When it returns, wouldn't it still be a legal target as though it never left, since the exile-return would resolve before the spell that targeted it in the first place?

nope
400.7. An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence. There are seven exceptions to this rule: [none of which are relevant here]

so when it goes to exile it's a new game object and then when it comes back to the field it's a new game object.

Anything targeting the original object will be countered or fail to affect the non-existent object.
There is a suspiciously similar object on the field (probably even represented by the same card), but it isn't the same object.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Now I find that Exile has taken on some new dynamics in the game.

Actually, it's the other way around. So much stuff came back from leaving the game that they decided to stop calling it leaving the game. No new dynamics were created as a result of or after the name change. It was purely a word change.

How can you dodge a spell by Exiling something, then immediately returning it to play?

It breaks target locks because what comes back to play is a brand new object with no relation to the object previously created by the same card.

Ok. that makes sense. That being said, what if the kill spell was something like Planar Cleansing? Since it destroys ALL non-land permanents, it would still get the new creature the same as it would everything else, right?

Just trying to make sure I understand all how it works... 
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20798.jpg)
Please autocard
[C]Planar Cleansing[/C]  ⇒ [C]Planar Cleansing[/C]

Right. [C]Planar Cleansing[/C] destroys what exists on resolution. It doesn't matter that something that existed when it was cast no longer exists when it resolves. It doesn't matter that something that exists when it resovles didn't exist when it was cast..
Yes. Planar Cleansing will destroy any nonland permanents on the battlefield when it resolves. It doesn't matter how many times they changed zones beforehand. You would need something like Flickerwisp's ability in order to avoid a Planar Cleansing or any other board wipe.
Analogy, you can teleport to evade the smartbomb, but not the citywide nuke.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I can? I discover I have new superpowers every day! Teleportation is my favorite too! ;)
Sign In to post comments