GW Blink Deck

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any thoughts on this deck? I would like to take out the Evolving Wilds and Guild Gates for 4 x Temple Garden when I pull them or get the cash to buy them.

LAND x 24
Sunpetal Grove x4
Evolving Wilds x2
Selesnya Guildgate x2
Forest x8
Plains x8

CREATURES x 22
Avacyn's Pilgrim x4
Arbor Elf x4
Elvish Visionary x4
Restoration Angel x4
Thragtusk x4
Armada Wurm x2

SPELLS x 14
Giant Growth x3
Cloudshift x4
Rancor x4
Titanic Growth x3
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
Possible Sideboard......

Oblivion Ring x4
Prey Upon x4
Stingerfling Spider x3
Tormod's Crypt x 4

I'm thinking I ought to put some of those Oblivion Rings in the maindeck.
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
3 things. the growths are waay to cute for an otherwise solid-looking build.
guildgates =/= Shocklands. Get on that, your games will improve.
Stingerfling spider will not be standard legal come 10/5 
Believe me, I know about the shock lands. I'm working on it ;). I feel like there is a hole in the mana curve at the three drop spot. Seeing as how I have 8 ramp cards I feel like there should be a nasty three drop to get out on the second turn. Loxodon Smiter possibly but he does not have an enter the battlefield ability for synergy with the blink effects. Attended knight may be a good option. Thoughts?
I'll pull the Giant Growths for Oblivion Rings then. I wanted removal in the main deck anyway. I'll have to think on the spider comment. This deck needs a way to deal with fliers. The Prey Upons could work....
Regarding  anti-air, plummet  is still in the format. There are also fiend hunter (with cloudshift trickery you can exile a creature permanently too).

borderland ranger?

I would personally  add couple Trostani, selesnya's voice to the deck, and grove of the guardian too.

ps. WEEE! We have RtR in autocards 
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
I like the Fiend Hunter option. With the blink effects he becomes much more versitile too as I can blink him to address a bigger threat down the road after he has exiled an earlier threat. I'll have to research this trick you speak of. I don't know how that would work.

I pulled a grove at the pre-release. I'll find a place for it. That Trostani is nice too.   
I'll have to research this trick you speak of. I don't know how that would work. 

The trick is simply to cause the leaves the battlefield trigger to resolve before the 'enters the battlefield' trigger.  

1. Fiend hunter enters battlefield, and its ability is put onto stack targeting some opponents creature.
2. In response to the ability, you blink the hunter with cloudshift or resto angel even. This will cause hunters leaves the battlefield-ability to trigger. If you used cloudshift or resto angel, Hunter comes back and targets something else. 'Leaves the battlefield' trigger will resolve next, doing nothing, since hunter hasnt exiled anything yet.
3. The original enters the battlefield trigger will resolve  and exile opponents creature permanently, since the ability that would return that creature back to play has already happened. The blinked hunter is a 'new hunter' and has nothing to do with the first exiling ability.

You just have to take care that hunter targets something else on its second coming if you  use cloudshift or resto  angel, otherwise you will "save" the opponents creature from being permanently exiled. 

You can do this trick with anything that will cause the fiend hunter to leave the battlefield at instant speed.  Bounce would work etc. 

I'm going to have to print that out and hand out copies at my next casual game night with friends. No one will believe me that this works. I still don't believe it myself. Cool

Next trip to the game store I'm buying a playset of Hunters.  
I'll have to research this trick you speak of. I don't know how that would work. 

The trick is simply to cause the leaves the battlefield trigger to resolve before the 'enters the battlefield' trigger.  

1. Fiend hunter enters battlefield, and its ability is put onto stack targeting some opponents creature.
2. In response to the ability, you blink the hunter with cloudshift or resto angel even. This will cause hunters leaves the battlefield-ability to trigger. If you used cloudshift or resto angel, Hunter comes back and targets something else. 'Leaves the battlefield' trigger will resolve next, doing nothing, since hunter hasnt exiled anything yet.
3. The original enters the battlefield trigger will resolve  and exile opponents creature permanently, since the ability that would return that creature back to play has already happened. The blinked hunter is a 'new hunter' and has nothing to do with the first exiling ability.

You just have to take care that hunter targets something else on its second coming if you  use cloudshift or resto  angel, otherwise you will "save" the opponents creature from being permanently exiled. 

You can do this trick with anything that will cause the fiend hunter to leave the battlefield at instant speed.  Bounce would work etc. 

trick works with O'ring and Detention Sphere if you Ghostly Flicker them as well.
@z3ro

Unfortunately, Ghostly Flicker cannot target enchantments.

Revised decklist. I like this one much better! I still of course want to get the shock lands inplace of the gates/wilds. Any recomendations on the revised list? Thanks!

LAND x 25
Sunpetal Grove x4
Evolving Wilds x2
Selesnya Guildgate x2
Forest x8
Plains x8   
Grove of the Guardian x1 

CREATURES x 25
Avacyn's Pilgrim x4
Arbor Elf x4
Loxodon Smiter x4
x3
Restoration Angel x4
Thragtusk x 4
Armada Wurm x2

SPELLS x 10 
Oblivion Ring x2 
Cloudshift x4
Rancor x4
@z3ro

Unfortunately, Ghostly Flicker cannot target enchantments.

not gonna lie, i was completely tired when i typed that and didn't even notice it couldnt do enchantments.

LAND x 25
Sunpetal Grove x4
Evolving Wilds x2
Selesnya Guildgate x2
Forest x8
Plains x8   
Grove of the Guardian x1 

CREATURES x 25
Avacyn's Pilgrim x4
Arbor Elf x4
Loxodon Smiter x4
x3
Restoration Angel x4
Thragtusk x 4
Armada Wurm x2

SPELLS x 10 
Oblivion Ring x2 
Cloudshift x4
Rancor x4

Looks pretty good. You might wanna consider acidic slime for your sideboard. 

ps. Btw you are aware how deathtouch works with trample, right? Deathtouch says that any nonzero amount of damage is lethal, and trample requires you to assign lethal damage to blockers first before assigning the rest to defending player. If you would give rancor to acidic slime, and its blocked by one creature, you only need to assign 1 damage to the blocker (because 1 damage is lethal) and rest to the defending player. Saying this as  you  seemed a bit new.  

ps. Btw you are aware how deathtouch works with trample, right? Deathtouch says that any nonzero amount of damage is lethal, and trample requires you to assign lethal damage to blockers first before assigning the rest to defending player. If you would give rancor to acidic slime, and its blocked by one creature, you only need to assign 1 damage to the blocker (because 1 damage is lethal) and rest to the defending player. Saying this as  you  seemed a bit new.  

I didn't know this either, great tip! I have a similar deck and I will definitely remember that, could be important!

@OP Do you find yourself with too many Mana guys? I've always played 4 Arbor Elf alongside 4Elvish visionary, do you get any problems with having buckets of mana and nothing to buy?

Also, since you were concerned about 3 drop issues, I'd recommend trying out Centaur healer in the side to switch the smiters out for when you aren't playing control. The extra life you can get from these is no joke, and is often much more relevant than the extra 1/1 on smiter, especially since 3/3 is enough to wall most aggro critters these days...

I want to be Cultured.
Thanks for the tip, didn;t know that. I'm actually an old school player from the days of Ice Age just getting back into the game. With all the new cards and mechanics I might as well be new though

I didn't know this either, great tip! I have a similar deck and I will definitely remember that, could be important!

@OP Do you find yourself with too many Mana guys? I've always played 4 Arbor Elf alongside 4Elvish visionary, do you get any problems with having buckets of mana and nothing to buy?

Also, since you were concerned about 3 drop issues, I'd recommend trying out Centaur healer in the side to switch the smiters out for when you aren't playing control. The extra life you can get from these is no joke, and is often much more relevant than the extra 1/1 on smiter, especially since 3/3 is enough to wall most aggro critters these days...

I usually don't ever have too much mana. Since I'm usually holding a blink effect back I need at least one mana extra per turn and four if things are gonig well and I have a Resto Angel. Plus I really like the idea of Loxodon Smiter on turn two. When I had the growth spells in the deck there was that much more reason to have extra mana.

I agree on the healers and slimes in the sideboard. Good suggestions. 

I just found this thread and am finding it very useful. I've been wanting to put together a blink deck like this, and so I've been gathering cards that I might want to use in the deck. I have been considering splashing blue in there as well for things like Mist Raven, Deadeye Navigator, Ghostly Flicker, and Detention Sphere. I figure that between the shocklands and the new Chromatic Lantern, 3 colors shouldn't be too much of a stretch. 

I was planning on focusing on the blink effects and not even bother with any populate effects. Staying aggro, I was going to try running Champion of Lambholt, and I also might consider running one or two Collective Blessing for late game finishes. 

Thoughts? 
Also, maybe Conjurer's Closet? or is that gonna be too slow?

Byfar best card for flicker decks

Restoration Angel is the best card for flicker decks. A flying flashed in 3/4 body that triggers an ETB for another creature, all for four mana, is so much better. Thragtusk owns the 5-drop slot in flicker decks.

@tetsuo: you can't splash blue if cards have UU in their casting cost. It screws up your mana base.

If you want to splash blue and have a 5-drop in your deck, put in Venser, thr Sojourner. The closet is just a colorless crappier version of him anyway.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Restoration Angel is the best card for flicker decks. A flying flashed in 3/4 body that triggers an ETB for another creature, all for four mana, is so much better. Thragtusk owns the 5-drop slot in flicker decks.

@tetsuo: you can't splash blue if cards have UU in their casting cost. It screws up your mana base. 

Sure it competes for the 5cmc slot but if u have both in your hand play whats needed most, if u need some board dominance play thrag.

If you can take whatever hits are coming your way play closet, pass turn, play thrag gain 5, pass turn, gain another 5 and drop a 3/3.
Now you have both on the field, keep gaining 5 and dropping a 3/3 each turn on top of whatever else your doing.

Above all, its synergy with the enitre deck is impecable.

Heres a good senario with closet.

You have a Blade splicer and Resto on the field and your opponent has some creatures on the field that dont pose a threat unless your tapped out.

swing with your creatures, he takes it, end turn flicker resto and resto flickers splicer. Now you not only increase board dominance but can still defend if needed.

Or, another likelier scenario:

T5 you play the closet. Your opponent swings in and kills one or two of your creatures and maybe pings you for a few.

T6 you play tusk and gain 5 life. Then your opponent kills it with removal. You now have 5 more life and a 3/3 creature that you can't attack with. Opponent attacks, killing your 3/3 and damaging you.

T7 you. um. er. uh.

Or you can be aggressive, cast the tusk, gain life, keep resto in reserve and potentially save it from the removal that any realistic deck is playing.

Your call. I'm only saying this bc my first deck back in magic was a conjurer's closet/venser deck, and when it worked it was great, and when it played against any decent deck it was slow and clumsy and what looked amazing on paper hardly ever panned out.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Or, another likelier scenario:

T5 you play the closet. Your opponent swings in and kills one or two of your creatures and maybe pings you for a few.

T6 you play tusk and gain 5 life. Then your opponent kills it with removal. You now have 5 more life and a 3/3 creature that you can't attack with. Opponent attacks, killing your 3/3 and damaging you.

T7 you. um. er. uh.

Or you can be aggressive, cast the tusk, gain life, keep resto in reserve and potentially save it from the removal that any realistic deck is playing.

Your call. I'm only saying this bc my first deck back in magic was a conjurer's closet/venser deck, and when it worked it was great, and when it played against any decent deck it was slow and clumsy and what looked amazing on paper hardly ever panned out.

It wasnt only paper that made it look good, but in gameplay too. Sure thrag gets removed, you always have more to cast among other things that work in unison with closet.

Ofc any realistic flicker deck would also run a playset of angels aside from, in my opinion atleast 2 closets.

Anywho, anything u say couldnt convince me to not running closet in a flicker deck simple because its extremely complimentary to many cards not just thrag which happens to compete for the 5 cmc.

Btw, grats on your sucessful flicker deck.
 I considered the Closet quite a bit but came to the conclusion that I want to be doing somethign more proactive and agro 9 times out of 10 at the 5 drop. I think the scenario Moe laid out is of course more powerful but far less likely than the one RST described.

Sign In to post comments