I need some suggestions on my modern deck.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently played in my first DCI sanctioned Modern Tournament in which I got decimated by the lack of speed in my Angels deck.  I went home and put together a couple of goblin decks specifically for Modern Play, and need some opinions on which one would be better for tournament play, and any suggestions on how to improve them.

Deck 1: Zergling Rush

Krenko, Mob Boss x3
Kuldotha Rebirth x3
Krenko's Command x4
Goblin Chieftain x4
Ichor Wellspring x3 (Simply for the casting cost of Kuldortha)
Fervor x2
Siege-Gang Commander x2 (although I would like to add more as soon as I find them)
Voracious Dragon x4 (More for the devour goblin ability than anything else)
Goblin Wardriver x3
Goblin Fireslinger x2
Curse of Bloodletting x2
Warren Instigator x3 (I was thinking of taking these out, as I have no high cost goblins in the deck)
Shared Animosity x3
Mountain x20 (although with the low mana cost of these cards I was thinking of running 16-17?) 

This leaves me at 58 cards, so I was thinking of adding some Goblin Grenade or some Dragon Fodder

This deck runs pretty fast and gets pretty nasty. It's more about quantity than quality.  There have been times I've had 10-15 goblin tokens by round 4.   I feel like I could ditch the fireslingers for something else, I just haven't found what yet. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Deck 2: All for One!

Blackcleave Cliffs x1
Sulfurous Springs x4
Prickly Boggart x3
Goblin Grenade x4
Goblin Chieftain x3
Mad Auntie x4
Dragon Fodder x3
Warren Instigator x3
Blightning x3
Auntie's Hovel x4
Goblin Bushwhacker x4
Lightning Bolt x4
Shared Animosity x3
Knucklebone Witch x2
Facevaulter x4
Mountain x5
Swamp x6

This deck isn't as fast, but the creatures grow and get out of control quickly.  And with the direct damage spells, I can pump out the damage fairly effeciently.

Anyway, choosing from the two which would you play?  I personally think I'm leaning more towards the token themed deck, but any input at all would be immensely appreciated!

The first deck is better, but needs a lot of changes to make it tournament viable.

First, Wellspring, Rebirth, Krenko's Command, Fervor, Dragon, Curse, and Animosity are unplayable.  Cut them all out.  I'd probably also cut Fireslinger.  Under no circumstances should Instigator be cut.  He lets you puke out Goblins faster, which is what the deck is supposed to be doing.

Second, add in Cavern of Souls and Aether Vial.  Vial is a ramp spell, Cavern can let you play some non-mono-red Goblins easily (like Wort, Boggart Auntie.

Thrid, go to 4-ofs on the good Goblins.  Everything except Krenko (legendary) and Seige-Gang (too expensive) should be 4-ofs.

Fourth, add in the other good Goblins you're missing.  Goblin Guide, Goblin King and Spikeshot Elder (better than Fireslinger) would all be good inclusions.

Finally, add in a few utility Goblins if needed.  Ones like Tuktuk Scrapper and Stingscourger would be good.

I'd go with mad, but i'd go with tin-street over tuktuk and do 3 siege-gang at the very least with 4 instigators. SGC should never be hard cast ever instigator should handle that. I usually play around 16 land in goblin decks and if you aren't on a budget i'd get some fetch lands to help dig out unwanted lands. It's ultimately up to you and i'm basing this off legacy vial goblins.

also what's your sb looking like?
I haven't put together a side board yet but I was thinking mostly utility cards: lightning bolts, destroy enchantments, that kind of thing in case I run into some stubborn creatures/enchantments that I can't get out from under.
good good, i'd go with 4 shattering spree for affinity matchups and the like...you'll have to splash for enchantment destruction and personally i'd splash green since you can use the vials/caverns for the gobbos you can use stomping grounds/fetch for ancient grudge/naturalize/possibly even fog if you so choose 
I'd play more than 16 lands.  The Legacy version gets away with that because they can use Goblin Lackey.  I wouldn't want to go below 20-21 in Modern.  Fetch lands are fine, but not really necessary.  Thinning on such a small scale is pointless, and without the need for shuffle effects, the benefit just isn't there.

What enchantments would you possibly be worried about?  There really aren't many that are played in Modern, and none in good decks (B/W Tokens isn't good).

Here's what hate I'd pack in the board:

Graveyard:  Tormod's Crypt, Relic of Progenitus, Grafdigger's Cage (Snapcaster, Loam, some odd combo decks)
Artifact:  Shattering Spree, Smelt, etc. (Affinity, Pod)
Land:  Sowing Salt (Tron, Valakut
Creature:  Combust, and only Combust.  It's for the Pod/Splinter Twin combo decks.

I would either splash black for some speciality Goblins or white for Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (and some hate in the board).  Another color isn't going to be as good.
One of the decks I play pretty regularly at my shop is built around painful quandry. That's the main chant that worries me, as its lost me games time and time again.
If you make the changes that have been suggested, the opponent should be dead before they can resolve Quandry.  And if not, they will be very shortly.  Quandry does nothing to Vial.

Plus, it's not really a card...
I'd play more than 16 lands.  The Legacy version gets away with that because they can use Goblin Lackey.  I wouldn't want to go below 20-21 in Modern.  Fetch lands are fine, but not really necessary.  Thinning on such a small scale is pointless, and without the need for shuffle effects, the benefit just isn't there.

What enchantments would you possibly be worried about?  There really aren't many that are played in Modern, and none in good decks (B/W Tokens isn't good).

Here's what hate I'd pack in the board:

Graveyard:  Tormod's Crypt, Relic of Progenitus, Grafdigger's Cage (Snapcaster, Loam, some odd combo decks)
Artifact:  Shattering Spree, Smelt, etc. (Affinity, Pod)
Land:  Sowing Salt (Tron, Valakut
Creature:  Combust, and only Combust.  It's for the Pod/Splinter Twin combo decks.

I would either splash black for some speciality Goblins or white for Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (and some hate in the board).  Another color isn't going to be as good.

Well, I realize lackey is a 1 drop but even 2 drops are easy with 16 mana, I just personally wouldn't go overboard since most of the spells are cheap and as far as splashing goes I'd pick G over W any day unless I could use my STPs even just for TSH but these are just personal prefs and yeah I was even going to mention bloodmoon over salt but again BM would be a more risky choice. I was always partial to cards like boil & flashfire too since it really hurts MUC/WC and Weenie   

Sign In to post comments