10/3/2012 UR: "In Praise of the Worldsoul, Part 2"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Well now we found out  who massacre girl is. Tongue Out
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
I do not believe Massacre Girl is long for this world.  She just killed Ruzi's little sister and from what we've seen of Ruzi, not only is he not going to take this laying down, he's got the skills to put MG down for good, horde of ogres or not.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

GAH! My growing fury has finally boiled over. I am so sick and tired of reading stories like this in wizards background bits. It's not that it's poorly written. Honestly, I didn't actually read it or part 1, so I have no opinion of the style, competence, etc.
It's gotten to the point that whenever wizards posts a story, I scroll to the bottom first and speed read the last paragraph or two. I didn't read the first part because I knew already that Cecilee, or whatever character was the focus wasn't going to make it. Sure, just because the next part is called "Thrill Kill Assassin" does not mean that Cecilee is guaranteed to die, but wizards track history made it obvious. Look at recent stories. I was hesitant to read the second part of the Vraska thing cause I feared that the stalwart good hearted character mentioned at the end of part 1 wasn't going to make it. She might have lived, but she was no longer the good person she once was, twisted into little more than a brainwashed servant of a vengeful gorgon. Same difference, my opinion. Khalia, a fairly popular EDH general finally gets a story and it's filled with loss and despair.

I know that for there to be able to be a conflict, the history can't be all roses and rainbows. I understand that strife filled stories give the readers something to relate to, something to attach to, something to hope for. A story where nothing bad happens is uninteresting to say the best. But the vast majority of the stories I see posted on the wizards site are like that. A story about a character's demise in relation to how a plot point came about, a story of revenge, an unintentional journey to an unfamiliar land where a girl meets new friends and loses them all in short order, scaring her deeply, . Again, I know that there has to be something bad happening to motivate a plot, often times more so in stories involving war or war-like conflicts but it can ben done without death(at least of the characters for which the story centers), without mind debilitating anguish. I don't understand why it is that writers these days seem to think you have to kill a character in order to instill emotion. In fantasy, and even in the real world, there are people who will act without that kind of motivation.

The thing about this that has finally moved me to say something is the predictability of these stories I see. I was so pleasantly surprised to see Thalia make it out alright, and that made me happy. The short story where Odric ran into Garruk was amusing because it gave some aftermath of Iinnistrad and gave us an inkling as to what happened to Garruk, though again an obvious outcome. I don't see wizards killing off any of the iconic 5 walkers any time soon. And I am genuinely interested to see what has become of Feather. I must admit if she also doesn't live I might just move on for good. I attach fairly easily to characters and so I like to see success instead of nonstop failure.

Thanks to anyone who actually read through all that and didn't blow my soap box over. That is one point I am quite fervent about, especially because I haven't seen a really good story in some time. I suppose I should mention something specific to this story so I'm not 100% off topic. It is disappointing that I was right, and also at least a little bit uninteresting because that death just removes all possibility of more interesting interactions. She just saw all her followers killed and everything she worked peacefully for destroyed. Would it not be more interesting for her to survive somehow, either saved or spared, and to see how she deals, how she copes, and how she reacts? Instead, all of those possibilities are gone. I will comment though that not all hope is gone, I suppose. Since it is a 3 part, and it's all about the world soul, perhaps her soul will go back to the world soul and come back in some form, or at least her brother Ruzi that the poster above me mentioned can still communicate with or something not so depressing as her being dead and gone. I guess we will see what the future holds.

I can see what you mean, but the story isn't about her.
Its about ruzi. and the gruul. and Massacre Girl.
However, what bugs me is this: WHY ARE THE GRUUL ALWAYS PORTRAYED AS LEAVING CHILDREN TO DIE WITH THE SELESNYANS, OR SOMEONE ELSE BEING THEIR HERO AND SAVING THEM?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
honestly, there is a reason more people like the rakdos then them-you portray them as awful people >:<
However, what bugs me is this: WHY ARE THE GRUUL ALWAYS PORTRAYED AS LEAVING CHILDREN TO DIE WITH THE SELESNYANS, OR SOMEONE ELSE BEING THEIR HERO AND SAVING THEM?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
honestly, there is a reason more people like the rakdos then them-you portray them as awful people >:<

Rakdos aren't portrayed as awful people? 

Rakdos aren't portrayed as awful people? 

okay, true, but the rakdos "are just people who want to have fun taking it to far" while the gruul "want to destroy stuff and kill people"

The quite awesome backstory of the gruul is ignored.

It's not ignored. It's coming in Gatecrash. 

It's not ignored. It's coming in Gatecrash. 

its ignored by most of the players. hopefully uncharted realms will play it up.
really, read this article:
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...