KOR - theScion's Kingdoms of Rabiah - Mechanics 3: (RWU) Revolution!

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kingdoms of Rabiah (KOR)
One ambitious planeswalker's desire to rule over the thousand Rabian nights goes head-to-head with an aging planeswalker's last chance at redemption, all under the shadow of a looming apocalypse. Can Vima Szet wrest control of the Rabian worlds before Uru Bhey shepherds the plane to its inevitable apocalypse, or will Gundeh lead the people of Rabiah towards revolution?

Mechanics 3: (RWU) Revolution!


Gundeh has his work cut out for him.

In Rabiah, people are not strangers to powerful forces with their own agendas. Djinn from a number of clans and families all work their own plans at their own pace. For decades, Gundeh was happy to leave well enough alone. After all, he is the holder of a great power himself: the planeswalker's spark. Still, he'd rather just stay home.

But home is plagued with new forces. A demon has made his 'home' in Rabiah and seeks to bring about the end of the world, and his dogma of nihilism has taken root among the leper colonies and the destitute with nothing to lose. Many citizens, fearful of the power of the Doombringers, have turned to the ancient Dakarim, old kings and queens of Rabiah, to come and deliver them from harm. The Coven of Dakarim rules with an iron fist, granting power to sycophant Rasnans who are free to implement an 'only the strong survive' form of government. With the cities beset by riots and Dakarim rule, many take to the wild; seeking desert oases to create their own communities. But the desert is full of mirages: one is as likely to get eaten by one of Bagora's minions as find a lifesaving spring. Then add to this an upstart planeswalking soothsayer whose ambitions have taken her to befriend the greatest evil of Rabiah...yes, Gundeh has his work cut out for him.

But Gundeh, labeled a Revolutionary by the Coven, is not without friends:

  

Saboteurs


This mechanic is possibly the most fun in the set for people who love to turn cards sideways and attack. The RWU wedge has the Saboteur pseudo keyword which basically stands for "whenever an ally you control deals combat damage to a player, do X". The allies in this set can play the role of aggressive drops, gaining value each time they connect (sometimes aided by cards like Aspect of Air to get across), or can play a combo role, keeping your Allies back and building a critical mass of Saboteurs until you sneak one in and profit greatly.

Folks with fond memories of Zendikar's allies will remember that there was a pseudo mill deck in the format. As a small homage to that, we've supported it here:

[spoiler I feel like chicken tonight]
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2176590/KOR/Siren%20Raptor.jpg)
[/spoiler] 

Don't underestimate this guy: plopping a couple of these out means, by themselves, they mill for 4 each. Add some support cards and other non-saboteur allies and suddenly you've successfully combined your attack step and winning via mill. So satisfying!

Finally, though I'm not sure how prereleases are going to work in the post RtR world, I did pick a promo card from the set to showcase a lot of what's going on. Say hello to the Emancipated Djinn:

[spoiler get yoself sum wishes]
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2176590/KOR/Emancipated%20Djinn.jpg)
[/spoiler] 

LMK your thoughts! 


About KOR


This is the first custom set I post here but far from the first I've made. All the art comes from some obscenely talented people on DeviantArt, many of whose names I do not recall because I use the illustration field to make notes like a goof. 

As more cards are revealed, I'll update the Card Image Gallery & Post Index.

I'd love your feedback, especially for these two topics:



  1. Design: How excited are you about the card? What does it make you feel?

  2. Development: How's the power level? Where do you see the limited environment for the set going? What holes are missing?


While the set is more or less done with its first pass, I'll be taking feedback into account, and even opening up holes where you guys can jump in and make some sweet cards.


 

My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I like the mechanic, but I think you really need to push the desert flavor harder. Right now, all I see is 'gimmick wedge plane.' 
Embrace imagination. Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block
More
Each of its nine tails is imbued with supernatural power, and it can live for a thousand years. My Standard deck: Setting Sun
108516289 wrote:
Think of how Neo couldn't beat the robots, but they kept him around anyways to defeat Agent Smith. Sure, the robots might not like having a Neo running rampant because instead of playing their favorite 4 drop fatty robot, they have to play a bunch of one mana Matrixs to contain him, but at least Neo keeps Agent Smith from reanimating an Iona on turn two.
139359831 wrote:
Are you saying I'm trying to blame my loss on something? I don't care that I lost, I care that he's a sore loser, and a cheater, and a liar.
144902215 wrote:
CKY, are you bad at anything?
144902215 wrote:
I really enjoy imagining this from Kevin's perspective. Because in Kevin's world, Rosewater actually reads everything he types. Mark is sitting there right now, reading this, and thinking "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled. . ." Or some such. He chuckles low, then clicks on "The Best Of KEVINSET" and says "Yes, this'll do just fine. A busty lady with banding who deals direct damage to Zones!? Why this will be the star of my next set, and no one will ever believe you Kevin." Then he closes his Macbook, so his servant may move it out of the way, while another servant puts a Fetal Richard Garfield Clone lathered in Steak Sauce in front of him. Then Mark Feasts. I mean, In KevinWorld, Mark is reading the very words I'm typing as well. Heck, in KevinWorld maybe I am Mark.
99964981 wrote:
I'm beginning to think CKY may be anime in real life...
57150868 wrote:
Don't go anywhere CKY, I need to crash dramatically through your window and propose marriage and I don't want you throwing off my paradrop.
63588923 wrote:
[In response to a thread about how hard grading is] Upon reading this, I've found myself completely unable to operate in the world. I tried to decide what to eat for breakfast, and pondered the vast consequences of my choice. How do I balance my dietary needs against my desire to eat good-tasting food? Should I factor in how long it takes to prepare? Cereal is ready in moments, but bacon takes longer to cook. Then there is the impact on other industries. Do people in the cereal industry deserve to be employed more than people in the bacon industry? Which industry should I support? I don't even have the data regarding HOW MUCH the cereal industry benefits from me eating a bowl of cereal, or how much the bacon industry benefits from me eating a side of bacon. How can I compare two qualities I can't even quantify? And let's not forget the milk on the cereal. In addition to determining whether or not milk is healthy for me, how much that benefits the milk industry, and how much the people in the milk industry deserve my support, we have to factor in the fact that cows are put under brutal conditions in order to collect thier milk. Of course, the same goes for the pigs, and then they get killed. Of course, I really like bacon. So I need to come up with a scale that compares the value of cow happiness to pig happiness to my happiness. What trade-offs am I willing to make here? Does the fact that the pig gets put out of its misery count as a plus or a minus? Isn't bacon bad for me anyway? Deciding what to eat for breakfast (or any meal) is impossible. Help me!
104339228 wrote:
I must admit chinkeeyong, you have the most interesting character ideas; and you play them well.
144902215 wrote:
Anyway, you'd be surprised about Time Stop. When I first saw that card as a relatively new player I didn't see its full potential until I read the reminder text. Is it that unintuitive, though? Mine I mean. What is possibility? Is it possible for me to type these words with my tusks? No, because I don't have tusks. Although I am now tempted to go buy some - obviously not from poachers or whatever - and use them as typing apparatus. I could be the best secretary ever. "What's your words per minute sir?" "Well, only six, but I use these tusks to type them." "You're hired!" That was the interview. And is anyone else disappointed that "apparati" is not the plural form of apparatus? I just could strangle a dictionary, because "apparatuses" is a real word. I guess it sounds pretty cool. I'll call them my Apparatusks.
I like the mechanic, but I think you really need to push the desert flavor harder. Right now, all I see is 'gimmick wedge plane.' 

You are probably right. I tried to fit the world & story around the core of the set. The core of the set is 'wedge plane' full stop. The fact that it's on Rabiah is to open a door to nostalgia and to allow me to revisit a challenging setting. Given that, I probably haven't succeeded.

I know the cards are good and the set is nearing a great balance, but I'd love some help.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
This doesn't sound like a white mechanic, profiting from hurting opponents was often treated as black mechanic in Magic's history, it's definitely something that belongs into colors instead.. And your djinn's ability belongs into colors, now I'm curious for what reason you shifted them into other colors!
This doesn't sound like a white mechanic, profiting from hurting opponents was often treated as black mechanic in Magic's history, it's definitely something that belongs into colors instead.. And your djinn's ability belongs into colors, now I'm curious for what reason you shifted them into other colors!



Actually the Saboteur mechanic fits this wedge very well. White is the core color of people working together. That's the thrust of the Saboteur mechanic and why it fits white. White is also the prime color for Allies for the same reason. Red gets this ability because of it's combative nature and the havoc it can cause, and blue has this ability because it's the king of 'saboteur mechanics' (i.e. getting effects by dealing combat damage) 

Emancipated Djinn is honestly a mono blue djinn (reference Djinn of Wishes). He is flavorfully a prime ally of Gundeh. Can you imagine how much better a revolution would be if you had a djinn granting you whatever wishes he could?

I will grant that the RUG wedge in the set does have a sort of "grant wishes" feel so it could be confusing, but I don't think it's too bad. The mythics which do this sort of thing (Wildfire Djinn and Wishing for Wishes) are also in-color for both wedges, which is not an accident.

Seems good.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Emancipated Djinn's a dangerous bleed. Not sure if I want to have access to deathtouch or recursion on the level of . Remember, your audience isn't just playing your game with Alara rules.

@cats: Lifelink profits from hurting an opponent. To me, it seems like it's more than white, though I can see the flavor. You're hurting outsiders.

I'd like to see some artifacts that benefit more than other colors, or have an artifact subtheme.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Emancipated Djinn's a dangerous bleed. Not sure if I want to have access to deathtouch or recursion on the level of . Remember, your audience isn't just playing your game with Alara rules.

@cats: Lifelink profits from hurting an opponent. To me, it seems like it's more than white, though I can see the flavor. You're hurting outsiders.

I'd like to see some artifacts that benefit more than other colors, or have an artifact subtheme.



I'm not sure that argument works when Djinn of Wishes exists. What's to stop monoblue from running said recursion / deathtouch? I believe Emancipated Djinn is at once more powerful and more conditional than DoW, so seems a fair balance. 

The artifact idea is neat; hadn't thought about it. I'm happy to entertain some designs to let me know what you're thinking.  
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I do wonder how these play with the Zendikar allies. I'm sure it's a lot of fun.

Any other thoughts? Am I the only one that thinks these are super fun?
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Any other thoughts? Am I the only one that thinks these are super fun?

No.
Embrace imagination. Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block
More
Each of its nine tails is imbued with supernatural power, and it can live for a thousand years. My Standard deck: Setting Sun
108516289 wrote:
Think of how Neo couldn't beat the robots, but they kept him around anyways to defeat Agent Smith. Sure, the robots might not like having a Neo running rampant because instead of playing their favorite 4 drop fatty robot, they have to play a bunch of one mana Matrixs to contain him, but at least Neo keeps Agent Smith from reanimating an Iona on turn two.
139359831 wrote:
Are you saying I'm trying to blame my loss on something? I don't care that I lost, I care that he's a sore loser, and a cheater, and a liar.
144902215 wrote:
CKY, are you bad at anything?
144902215 wrote:
I really enjoy imagining this from Kevin's perspective. Because in Kevin's world, Rosewater actually reads everything he types. Mark is sitting there right now, reading this, and thinking "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled. . ." Or some such. He chuckles low, then clicks on "The Best Of KEVINSET" and says "Yes, this'll do just fine. A busty lady with banding who deals direct damage to Zones!? Why this will be the star of my next set, and no one will ever believe you Kevin." Then he closes his Macbook, so his servant may move it out of the way, while another servant puts a Fetal Richard Garfield Clone lathered in Steak Sauce in front of him. Then Mark Feasts. I mean, In KevinWorld, Mark is reading the very words I'm typing as well. Heck, in KevinWorld maybe I am Mark.
99964981 wrote:
I'm beginning to think CKY may be anime in real life...
57150868 wrote:
Don't go anywhere CKY, I need to crash dramatically through your window and propose marriage and I don't want you throwing off my paradrop.
63588923 wrote:
[In response to a thread about how hard grading is] Upon reading this, I've found myself completely unable to operate in the world. I tried to decide what to eat for breakfast, and pondered the vast consequences of my choice. How do I balance my dietary needs against my desire to eat good-tasting food? Should I factor in how long it takes to prepare? Cereal is ready in moments, but bacon takes longer to cook. Then there is the impact on other industries. Do people in the cereal industry deserve to be employed more than people in the bacon industry? Which industry should I support? I don't even have the data regarding HOW MUCH the cereal industry benefits from me eating a bowl of cereal, or how much the bacon industry benefits from me eating a side of bacon. How can I compare two qualities I can't even quantify? And let's not forget the milk on the cereal. In addition to determining whether or not milk is healthy for me, how much that benefits the milk industry, and how much the people in the milk industry deserve my support, we have to factor in the fact that cows are put under brutal conditions in order to collect thier milk. Of course, the same goes for the pigs, and then they get killed. Of course, I really like bacon. So I need to come up with a scale that compares the value of cow happiness to pig happiness to my happiness. What trade-offs am I willing to make here? Does the fact that the pig gets put out of its misery count as a plus or a minus? Isn't bacon bad for me anyway? Deciding what to eat for breakfast (or any meal) is impossible. Help me!
104339228 wrote:
I must admit chinkeeyong, you have the most interesting character ideas; and you play them well.
144902215 wrote:
Anyway, you'd be surprised about Time Stop. When I first saw that card as a relatively new player I didn't see its full potential until I read the reminder text. Is it that unintuitive, though? Mine I mean. What is possibility? Is it possible for me to type these words with my tusks? No, because I don't have tusks. Although I am now tempted to go buy some - obviously not from poachers or whatever - and use them as typing apparatus. I could be the best secretary ever. "What's your words per minute sir?" "Well, only six, but I use these tusks to type them." "You're hired!" That was the interview. And is anyone else disappointed that "apparati" is not the plural form of apparatus? I just could strangle a dictionary, because "apparatuses" is a real word. I guess it sounds pretty cool. I'll call them my Apparatusks.
Dude, this is not Rabiah.

In Rabiah, you'll see artwork like this



and



Definitely not white-bread English knights.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Dude, this is not Rabiah.

In Rabiah, you'll see artwork like this



and



Definitely not white-bread English knights.

Your ability to find art for any setting approaches legend, GM. I am but a humble student. I have yoinked those pieces and I'd be happy to use more. 

As CKY pointed out, the set could use more flavor. I would love to inject more flavor into it. It's an injustice to not do Rabiah right. It's not a bad fit for the set mechanics though if you imagine something closer to menageries and oases and less endless desert.

After all, Kird Apes did live in the woods. 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I don't have enough to construct a set. That's why I haven't. I've just got the foundationstation to construct a story of the Pharaohs plane. This is the plane that birthed the ancient entities Ra, Set, and the whole collective group of Egyptian aliens which invaded and ruled over that area (or fought to set the primitive enslaved people free) many eons ago. They were born on a planed dubbed, "the Pharaohs plane" and it literally means, the plane of kings. This is symbolic of every entities from this plane being highly evolved and very powerful (like that of a King).

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Granting abilities for everyone doesn't have to be mono-white, and you just need one creature that's unblocked to activate saboteur abilities.. For me, it's more a matter of hurting opponents and then being rewarded, while lifelink triggers upon damaging creatures.. Casting something without paying its mana cost was often treated as mechanic (remember Intet, The Dreamer?) and would have been great for that shard, but I'll have to see what you decided for instead!
Getting what you wish for is a bit of a theme for the block. The RUG shard and its mechanic has already been spoiled, but not this little number: 

EDIT
Apparently my posting is limited so I'll have to keep you guessing. :-)  
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
As promised, here's another spoiler:

 

Feels odd spoiling a RUG card in the RWU thread but cats_and_me made me do it.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I like this card, but don't remember your official mechanic, probably just because it didn't catch my interest.. I'm extremely sceptical when it comes to wedge mechanics, because they should belong into every color without being too random or narrow! Oh, you should make one card that redirects something that's targeting your creatures..
I like this card, but don't remember your official mechanic, probably just because it didn't catch my interest.. I'm extremely sceptical when it comes to wedge mechanics, because they should belong into every color without being too random or narrow! Oh, you should make one card that redirects something that's targeting your creatures..

You're able to quickly find this stuff if you follow the link in my sig. The link to the index is also in the 1st post of each KOR thread.  

It's funny you mention a spell. There's a cycle of common cards that all cost wedge colors to cast, and the one has been giving me the most problems.

The mana cost is a bit prohibitive to keep up as a purely reactionary spell, which is part of the problem with the one I have so far:

 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Yeah, that's overcosted as heck.
And not very red.

Probably not a good idea for a common:
Any number of target creatures can't attack or block this turn. Remove them from combat.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Yeah, that's overcosted as heck.
And not very red.

Probably not a good idea for a common:
Any number of target creatures can't attack or block this turn. Remove them from combat.

Originally it would make a blocked creature unblocked; a sort of falter effect after the fact but couldn't template it well enough. Its a challenge to make a wedge common card thats helpful to the wedge it's in.

Im open to suggestions. :-)  
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Yeah, that's overcosted as heck.
And not very red.

Probably not a good idea for a common:
Any number of target creatures can't attack or block this turn. Remove them from combat.

Originally it would make a blocked creature unblocked; a sort of falter effect after the fact but couldn't template it well enough. Its a challenge to make a wedge common card thats helpful to the wedge it's in.

Im open to suggestions. :-)  



I'm not sure wedges are a good idea for common. In general, three-color cards can be a problem in limited.

Oh, the mechanical identities of the wedges:

: Weenies, sweepers, sacrificing, paying life, creature removal
: Ramp (blue ramps colorless, red exchanges cards for mana, and green ramps however it feels), copying (red copies spells, green copies creatures, blue copies anything), possibly flash (I can't think of a red creature with flash, but I can see it as red.)
: Recursion, lifegain, tokens, +1/+1 counters (Yeah, they have a lot in common. I like to call the weirdo pair for this reason.)
: Artifact love ( gets "equipment matters" and the ability to sacrifice artifacts, just love artifacts), combat tricks ( gets a lot of these too, and gets a couple, but it's mostly ).
: Engines, card draw ( has to exchange something for cards, green has to use creatures in some way)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Yeah, that's overcosted as heck.
And not very red.

Probably not a good idea for a common:
Any number of target creatures can't attack or block this turn. Remove them from combat.

Originally it would make a blocked creature unblocked; a sort of falter effect after the fact but couldn't template it well enough. Its a challenge to make a wedge common card thats helpful to the wedge it's in.

Im open to suggestions. :-)  



I'm not sure wedges are a good idea for common. In general, three-color cards can be a problem in limited.

Oh, the mechanical identities of the wedges:

: Weenies, sweepers, sacrificing, paying life, creature removal
: Ramp (blue ramps colorless, red exchanges cards for mana, and green ramps however it feels), copying (red copies spells, green copies creatures, blue copies anything), possibly flash (I can't think of a red creature with flash, but I can see it as red.)
: Recursion, lifegain, tokens, +1/+1 counters (Yeah, they have a lot in common. I like to call the weirdo pair for this reason.)
: Artifact love ( gets "equipment matters" and the ability to sacrifice artifacts, just love artifacts), combat tricks ( gets a lot of these too, and gets a couple, but it's mostly ).
: Engines, card draw ( has to exchange something for cards, green has to use creatures in some way)



There is sense to what you say about the wedge cards at common. I'm not totally convinced it's bad though; this is a 3-color set. Alara had 3-color commons, though they were all creatures. Mine are a mix.

That's a cool breakdown. I wouldn't say I followed it word-for-word, but it's pretty close.

- Weenies (high power/low toughness), sacrifice (Doombringer), removal & sweepers
- Ramp (to power up your splice), Instants & sorceries (splice)
- (not released yet)
- Combat (saboteur), falter effects (to get your guys through), 
-  (not released yet)
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
CKY successfully made card design & hole filling look easy. Here's his design, which is now currently in the set:

 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
CKY successfully made card design & hole filling look easy.

Embrace imagination. Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block
More
Each of its nine tails is imbued with supernatural power, and it can live for a thousand years. My Standard deck: Setting Sun
108516289 wrote:
Think of how Neo couldn't beat the robots, but they kept him around anyways to defeat Agent Smith. Sure, the robots might not like having a Neo running rampant because instead of playing their favorite 4 drop fatty robot, they have to play a bunch of one mana Matrixs to contain him, but at least Neo keeps Agent Smith from reanimating an Iona on turn two.
139359831 wrote:
Are you saying I'm trying to blame my loss on something? I don't care that I lost, I care that he's a sore loser, and a cheater, and a liar.
144902215 wrote:
CKY, are you bad at anything?
144902215 wrote:
I really enjoy imagining this from Kevin's perspective. Because in Kevin's world, Rosewater actually reads everything he types. Mark is sitting there right now, reading this, and thinking "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled. . ." Or some such. He chuckles low, then clicks on "The Best Of KEVINSET" and says "Yes, this'll do just fine. A busty lady with banding who deals direct damage to Zones!? Why this will be the star of my next set, and no one will ever believe you Kevin." Then he closes his Macbook, so his servant may move it out of the way, while another servant puts a Fetal Richard Garfield Clone lathered in Steak Sauce in front of him. Then Mark Feasts. I mean, In KevinWorld, Mark is reading the very words I'm typing as well. Heck, in KevinWorld maybe I am Mark.
99964981 wrote:
I'm beginning to think CKY may be anime in real life...
57150868 wrote:
Don't go anywhere CKY, I need to crash dramatically through your window and propose marriage and I don't want you throwing off my paradrop.
63588923 wrote:
[In response to a thread about how hard grading is] Upon reading this, I've found myself completely unable to operate in the world. I tried to decide what to eat for breakfast, and pondered the vast consequences of my choice. How do I balance my dietary needs against my desire to eat good-tasting food? Should I factor in how long it takes to prepare? Cereal is ready in moments, but bacon takes longer to cook. Then there is the impact on other industries. Do people in the cereal industry deserve to be employed more than people in the bacon industry? Which industry should I support? I don't even have the data regarding HOW MUCH the cereal industry benefits from me eating a bowl of cereal, or how much the bacon industry benefits from me eating a side of bacon. How can I compare two qualities I can't even quantify? And let's not forget the milk on the cereal. In addition to determining whether or not milk is healthy for me, how much that benefits the milk industry, and how much the people in the milk industry deserve my support, we have to factor in the fact that cows are put under brutal conditions in order to collect thier milk. Of course, the same goes for the pigs, and then they get killed. Of course, I really like bacon. So I need to come up with a scale that compares the value of cow happiness to pig happiness to my happiness. What trade-offs am I willing to make here? Does the fact that the pig gets put out of its misery count as a plus or a minus? Isn't bacon bad for me anyway? Deciding what to eat for breakfast (or any meal) is impossible. Help me!
104339228 wrote:
I must admit chinkeeyong, you have the most interesting character ideas; and you play them well.
144902215 wrote:
Anyway, you'd be surprised about Time Stop. When I first saw that card as a relatively new player I didn't see its full potential until I read the reminder text. Is it that unintuitive, though? Mine I mean. What is possibility? Is it possible for me to type these words with my tusks? No, because I don't have tusks. Although I am now tempted to go buy some - obviously not from poachers or whatever - and use them as typing apparatus. I could be the best secretary ever. "What's your words per minute sir?" "Well, only six, but I use these tusks to type them." "You're hired!" That was the interview. And is anyone else disappointed that "apparati" is not the plural form of apparatus? I just could strangle a dictionary, because "apparatuses" is a real word. I guess it sounds pretty cool. I'll call them my Apparatusks.
WUR is a hard wedge to design- I should know. I like how the ally mechanics encourage a defensive buildup at first but then get aggresive. That's something I tried to achieve by having cards gain new abilities once a certain threshold was reached but your solution seems much less forced.

Interesting to note- I followed a similar theme for each of my shards as the one outlined earlier in the thread.
WUR is a hard wedge to design- I should know. I like how the ally mechanics encourage a defensive buildup at first but then get aggresive. That's something I tried to achieve by having cards gain new abilities once a certain threshold was reached but your solution seems much less forced.

Interesting to note- I followed a similar theme for each of my shards as the one outlined earlier in the thread.

Whoa, I thought you died. In Alaska. Wrestling a kodiak bear. With dental floss.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
someone broke this page

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
WUR is a hard wedge to design- I should know. I like how the ally mechanics encourage a defensive buildup at first but then get aggresive. That's something I tried to achieve by having cards gain new abilities once a certain threshold was reached but your solution seems much less forced.

Interesting to note- I followed a similar theme for each of my shards as the one outlined earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the feedback btw! Yea, it was a hard one; part of the reason I'm very excited as to the mechanic. It plays so well. Quite a gem. The rares are splashy but not necessary to the power of the shard. Just jam some Siren Raptors and Amphin Operatives in your deck and generate crazy card advantage while winning via mill, or go aggro route and see how explosive an opening hand of two Hazard Squads are followed by this li'l number (you know I had to do it!): 

My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Why are your cards so huge?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Why are your cards so huge?

lol. this.
I have to struggle everytime i see a spoiler in your post. On one hand they are almost always brilliant. On the other hand, they hurt my eyes by their sheer size.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Why are your cards so huge?

lol. this.
I have to struggle everytime i see a spoiler in your post. On one hand they are almost always brilliant. On the other hand, they hurt my eyes by their sheer size.

Sorry about that guys! I didn't know if it was a big deal or not.

I got a hi-res template for MSE so I can print them at decent quality for when I do prereleases of my set. I was originally switching back every time I exported the images, but it got tedious so I said to myself "self, I'm sure people will be fine. They like the big pictures. Also, this must mean my ideas are great, what with them being so huge and all." 

Not sure what I can do about it going in...how about standing back from the computer/laptop and viewing it from afar? Preferably with popcorn? [/positivespin]

 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
actually, i just realize the real problem. I have a small monitor and it makes me scroll. since monitors are wider than it is tall, the width will fully fit (even if your browser auto resize it) but the bottom will guarantee cut to the second screen

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I was just wondering. It isn't a big deal.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I was just wondering. It isn't a big deal.

 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I said stuff

Whoa, I thought you died. In Alaska. Wrestling a kodiak bear. With dental floss.


Actually I live in Canada and the only time I ever fought a bear was in Germany. I used a knife.

I said stuff

Whoa, I thought you died. In Alaska. Wrestling a kodiak bear. With dental floss.


Actually I live in Canada and the only time I ever fought a bear was in Germany. I used a knife.



Next time, I recommend using your bear hands.








 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?