Dragon/Dungeon News

40 posts / 0 new
Last post

D&D News
Dragon/Dungeon News
By D&D Team 

The submission window for our online magazines, Dragon and Dungeon, are now open! Before you send us pitches for articles and adventures, please review our updated writer’s guidelines. They contain new information about what we’re looking for. The submission window closes on November 30th, so you have a couple months to send us your ideas.

In other news, we’re trying an experiment in October by releasing all of our subscription content in two collected issues, rather than posting individual articles throughout the month. Subscribers can download the entire issues of Dragon 416 andDungeon 207 once they’re posted.

Talk about this news here.

Article Header Image

Very happy to see the compilation of Dragon/Dungeon coming back again !

Hope the experiment works well
I greatly approve the collected issue.
Good people, we bitched and complained for a long time and we have finally been rewarded with complete PDFs.  Cigars and brandy all around.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Awesome! Great to hear that Dragon and Dungeon magazines are becoming whole again Smile.  
... And when will they be posted?
better late than never; i am glad they came to their senses and looked at what they were doing to the mags. these are iconic titles, and the least you can do is compile them. so thanks.
Thank you for this. Very happy to see that we're getting the compilations back.
Hold on, let me get this straight....

We're going back to Compilations — but only Compilations.  No individual articles posted throughout the month.  Once they decide they're done with every article, then and only then do we get all the articles, at once?

You know, I missed the Compilations.  But I don't think that going from one extreme to the other is the solution.
Sweet! Next, I'd love to see the ability to easily download these onto popular eReaders like the Nook, Kindle, or iPad. Yeah, you can side-load them, but that's a hassle. One-click to download (or even buy separately) would be sweet.
Hold on, let me get this straight....

We're going back to Compilations — but only Compilations.  No individual articles posted throughout the month.  Once they decide they're done with every article, then and only then do we get all the articles, at once?

You know, I missed the Compilations.  But I don't think that going from one extreme to the other is the solution.

This. I vociferously criticised the decision to abandon the compilations but this does not seem to be the answer. Does that mean we have to wait until the end of the month to get any articles at all ie. when they are compiled into complete issues.

Also, would be good to know what the intended timetable is for publishing these. Based on recent form where most of Dungeon comes out right at the end of the month, we will have no content most weeks.

While i would prefer getting individual articles on a daily basis, personally i can wait a little longer every month and get the entire collection of articles all at once if its to have a compiled magazine again.  

Dragon/Dungeon magazine used to be like that. You'd wait til it gets in your mail box before cracking it open. Not really that different isn't it ? Wink
Finally collected issues!!   
Now i have no reason to visit the Dungeon & Dragons website until the end of each month... as all news, expcerps and previews are completly irrelevant to me as of now (wish are now reprint old books for an edition i don't care. A edition that isn't here yet and every time they put news from, it get farther and farther from something i want to play)
I am glad the compilations are coming back but disappointed to see individual articles go away. Why not both? 

Thank you for the compilations.
It's something I asked for when they went away.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
Oh wow. I'm so excited. 

Finally getting the compilations. 

My subscription is again almost equal in value to what I was paying for five years ago.  
Quite frankly, this is the best news that I've had, as a DDI subscriber, in a long while.

I think it also bodes well for the future, in that it shows a willingness to listen to us & provide what we ask for, as far as service/products are concerned.

Kudos WotC! 
why people are happy for this news now that i think about it....is not like having the magazine coopilated at the end of the month means they won't have 1/5 of the content they used to had 2 years ago?

The reason why dragon/dungeon magazine has been downhill is the quantity of content, 2 years ago we used to had like 20+ articles per month on dragon, most of them with crunch....now we have like 6....and we are lucky if there is more than 1 article with crunch. 
I, for one, am not happy with this experiment.  I always thought the purpose of the DDI system was to provide the subscribers with daily magazine  stuff.  Now we're supposed to wait for the compiled version "when they get posted." - when they're done.  Seems everyone's busy with DnDNext...

Now does this mean that the daily articles would be mostly focused on DnD Next?  It is a nice tactic of removing the daily interests of the current players from 4e and divert all that attention to the new game... but wait, there is still no new game and that 4e is still here.

Oh, maybe this is also a means of lowering down the bandwith usage of the site.  With players not visiting and downloading stuff as often as before, that would probably make the server work a bit faster for those accessing the pages of the company's other games.

Sure, this was how it was when the magazines were in paper form...but this wasn't what the idea was when DDI was created.  Does this mean we're also going retro with the magazines?  DragonMagNext?  DungeonMagNext? Undecided

well, everything has been bunched up and released the last week of the month anyways, at least for the last 9 months or so. the only article that usually came out early was eye on the realms. personally a compiled magazine is more attractive to me that getting a couple of pages of realms fluff a couple of weeks early
I actually prefer the individual articles, though having both individual and compiled was handy.

With the individual articles, I could file them where they belonged.  FR stuff in my FR folder.  Eberron stuff in my Eberron folder.  DS stuff in my DS folder.  POL stuff in my POL files.  Themes, deities, classes, adventures, and so on.   If I need to look up something Realms related, I could go to that folder, look at the titles quickly, and find what I needed.

When cross-referencing the Online Compendium, on the other hand, they reference issue and page numbers.  Which meant having to look up the actual issue, and figuring out which page is which.  With the compiled issues, that's a whole lot easier than having to figure out the individual article to which they're referring.

Thus, I've hated not having compiled issues.

But I am hating not having individual articles even more.  Compiled issues are a whole lot less useful to me, as a DM.
I actually prefer the individual articles, though having both individual and compiled was handy.

With the individual articles, I could file them where they belonged.  FR stuff in my FR folder.  Eberron stuff in my Eberron folder.  DS stuff in my DS folder.  POL stuff in my POL files.  Themes, deities, classes, adventures, and so on.   If I need to look up something Realms related, I could go to that folder, look at the titles quickly, and find what I needed.

When cross-referencing the Online Compendium, on the other hand, they reference issue and page numbers.  Which meant having to look up the actual issue, and figuring out which page is which.  With the compiled issues, that's a whole lot easier than having to figure out the individual article to which they're referring.

But I am hating not having individual articles even more.  Compiled issues are a whole lot less useful to me, as a DM.

This matches my experience exactly.

It has occurred to me that Wizards would have gotten a lot less grief about cutting back Dragon and Dungeon if they had taken the same sort or approach with that that they have with D&D Next -- they would tell us, "Hey guys -- We can't keep putting out the articles one at a time as well as compiling the issue at the end of the month.  Which do you prefer?"  It would have sparked a lively debate, but our anger would not be directed at Wizards.

Compiled issues are a major advantage for people who just became DDI subscribers, as they can download a month's worth of content at a time instead of having to acquire each article individually, thereby making it easier for them to catch up.  For people with current subscriptions throughout the month, the individual articles are marginally more convenient, but either form works as long as they are searchable PDFs -- Adobe Acrobat Reader does permit you to search an entire directory full of PDFs, after all.

i dont think anyone advocating for compiled issues to come back wanted an either/or situation. people wanted things to go back to the way they were. articles thru the month, then an errata'd compilation. given an either/or choice, which again isnt what anyone asked for, i still prefer the compiled issue. but ideally it would just be done the same way they did it for years.
I am with frothy. I prefer daily articles compiled at the end of the month but if i cant have both, i prioritize compiled magazine.
Funny.  The Wotc page for the D&D Insider still states:  "Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine bring you about 120 pages of all-new content, with updates posted several times a week—and a PDF compilation of every issue at the end of the month."  Basically WotC's only fulfilling half of what is advertised.  Was there a reason given why the compilation is their preferred means now?
really? 120 pages? there are like 6 articles per month....with like 3-4 pages each, that's 18-24 pages...where are the other 96 pages?
We're actually getting around 80 pages a month, and last month it was really close to 120 pages.
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg

With the individual articles, I could file them where they belonged.  [. . .]

When cross-referencing the Online Compendium, on the other hand, they reference issue and page numbers.  [. . .]

I solved this problem by housing my articles on Google Drive, where they can be simultaneously be associated with a topic folder and an issue folder.  You could also solve the problem with a normal folder structure by putting shortcuts to articles in the issue folder (or in the topic folder).

Of course, this seems moot if the present experiment pans out; and it is an easier system to set up as you add individual articles, rather than going back through years of back issues.
We're actually getting around 80 pages a month, and last month it was really close to 120 pages.

34 pages on october....and half of those pages don't belong on dragon magazine...it belong on dungeon magazine...
Yeah!  Joy!  That's also not considering that most of the articles are fluff and very few reference to 4e.  Good strategy of WotC! That way, the article becomes useful when 5e comes up.  Eventually, the players would be pissed off with the lack of 4e support and just wait for DnD Next to come out.  Win-win scenario for WotC... just don't know about the current players who paid for DDI to support their own 4e games...
Yeah!  Joy!  That's also not considering that most of the articles are fluff and very few reference to 4e.  Good strategy of WotC! That way, the article becomes useful when 5e comes up.  Eventually, the players would be pissed off with the lack of 4e support and just wait for DnD Next to come out.  Win-win scenario for WotC... just don't know about the current players who paid for DDI to support their own 4e games...

Don't encourage them. Its only a win win for WotC until those of us who don't care about next become fed up with the situation and let our subscriptions drop. Right now, the only thing keeping me hanging on is the vague promise of some of the material I have been waiting for coming to Dragon by the end of the year.

If they make me wait too long, I'll just drop my sub and get Hero Labs so I can make the material myself.

Don't encourage them. Its only a win win for WotC until those of us who don't care about next become fed up with the situation and let our subscriptions drop. Right now, the only thing keeping me hanging on is the vague promise of some of the material I have been waiting for coming to Dragon by the end of the year.

If they make me wait too long, I'll just drop my sub and get Hero Labs so I can make the material myself.

I was trying to be a bit sarcastic.  Lol!  Anyways, beat you to it.  I jsut dropped by sub.  I'm waiting off until something really substantial comes up... if  it does that is...

Has there been any explanation for why they are switching from one to the other?

First it was individual articles and a collected copy at the end of the month. Then it was only individual pdfs. Now it's only compilation.

Why not Zoidberg both?

FYI Christ Perkins said that that they are planning to continue compiling magazines since enough people seem to like the compiled subscriber content!

Enough people seem to like the compiled subscriber content that we're planning to continue with compilations for the forseeable future. We also have enough daily free content to keep our more casual website visitors entertained, if mildly.Chris 

thats great news!!! everyone that agrees should be vocally supportive so we never go back to those dark days again!
Good news about the continued compilations. I'm very happy about this. Now please go back and compile all of the old issues, thanks.
This would make a very cool christmas gift. 

WUT ? Last year all of Chris Perkin's DM Experience articles were compiled as a christmas gift afterall :P. 
November Dragon/Dungeon magazine table of contents is up...and it's very underwhelming...why history checks and ecology articles are on Dragon, those are not player oriented articles!
Sign In to post comments