Falcon's Five Colour Pre-Release Deck

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, Saturday morning arrives and I sit there with a pretty Azorius box.  There are about 100 people at the prerelease although we are split into two groups so that there will be 5 rounds in the morning and another 5-round tournament in the afternoon (which I didn't enter due to husband duties at home).  I open my first 3 packs and open only 1 azorious card and 3 unplayable rares (2 Mana Bloom and something else).  After opening my 6 boosters I sort my cards and realise immediately that 2 colours just isn't playable in my pool and that 3 would mean playing some very sub-optimal cards.  The one thing I do notice is that in my boosters I pulled 5 guildgates and, not only that, each guildgate was different (I don't know what the odds on that are but they are very, very small).  I think to myself, I have a fairly weak pool, it's a pre-release let's have some fun.  So I went five colours (as in I had a least one spell with each mana symbol and some artifacts as well for the full set)!  The deck was not only a blast to play but everyone complimented it on being the most fun deck out there.  I ended up going 4-1 (2-0,2-1,2-0,0-2,2-0 for a total of 8-3) and was the most fun I had in ages.

The deck was as follows

Land (17)
Izzet Guildgate
Selesnya Guildgate
Azorius Guildgate
Golgari Guildgate
1 Island
7 Plains
5 Forests
(Note I didn't play the Rakdos Guildgate as I thought it might hurt the mana base too much)!

Creatures (14)
Keening Apparition
Azorius Arrester
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage - probably my MVP.  A 3/3 for 4 mana every turn (often 2 per turn late game) was huge
Centaur Healer
Loxodon Smiter
2xStonefare Crocodile - the amount of crocodile carnage would have made Dundee happy!
Seller of Songbirds
Vassal Soul
Towering Indrik
2xArmory Guard - in my deck these always had vigilence
Archon of the Triumvirate (Promo)
Angel of Serenity - of course an absolute bomb.  In my last game I was 1-0 up and had this in hand and said to my opponent, if I cast this I will win, which is no fun so I will discard it, draw another card and see if I can win anyway, which I did

Spells (9)
Azorius Charm
Dramatic Rescue
Azorius Keyrune
Rakdos Keyrune
Arrest
Stab Wound
Eyes in the Skies
Explosive Impact
Coursers' Accord
So you only had two sources for both Stab Wound and Explosive Impact?
Angel of Serenity - of course an absolute bomb.  In my last game I was 1-0 up and had this in hand and said to my opponent, if I cast this I will win, which is no fun so I will discard it, draw another card and see if I can win anyway, which I did.

Like a boss. 
So you only had two sources for both Stab Wound and Explosive Impact?

Yes, I felt two sources for one mana was fine, especially given that I wouldn't want to cast these early anyway.
I know. It's just that 50% of the time they will just be dead cards. Which is probably fine if you took out something a lot less powerful for them or just really needed the removal. How were Seller of Songbirds and Eyes in the Skies, Seller doesn't strike me as good and Eyes doesn't seem good at all in your deck. And also how did the Armory Guards fare? They seem to have nice bodies, but they don't seem like they make that great of attackers and can't block flying. I love Hussar Patrol, but losing flash seems pretty relevant.
I'm running Seller because I am low on flying/reach.  The bird token is very useful in a deck with populate and no other ways to make make flyers.  This is the exact same reason I am running Eyes in the Skies.  It's another token producer and allows me to populate so if I have a centaur in play its another centaur otherwise it is 2 flyers that I can hopefully reproduce later.
Along the lines of Angel: I discarded a Hellstead to pump Lotleth Troll to 3/2 to save him from an EOT ping (was out of black mana) with a grip of 3 more cards, which made my opponent sit back on his seat for a while. 

Pleasures of having 2x Chaos Imps in your hand. 8) 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Yeah, but you have exactly two ways to produce a Centaur token and they both cost .
Along the lines of Angel: I discarded a Hellstead to pump Lotleth Troll to 3/2 to save him from an EOT ping (was out of black mana) with a grip of 3 more cards, which made my opponent sit back on his seat for a while. 

Pleasures of having 2x Chaos Imps in your hand. 8) 

Not quite the same.  I just ditched in from my hand with nothing amazing in my hand because it would have been too easy to win otherwise.
For what it's worth I think playing the Seller here is a great way to stall a bit; two small bodies keep away all those small dudes and chump bigger ones, giving you time to set up your mana and get to the good cards.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Sign In to post comments