[24 Hour Contest] - Bonding

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Been a really long time since I hosted one of these.

Criteria: Design a card with soulbond.

Ends in 24 hours (shocking, I know). I'll have grades up shortly after.
Harmonist of Union
Creature - Spirit Priest
SoulbondImprint- If the creature ~ is paired with would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
~ and the creature it's paired with have all abilities of creatures exiled by it.
She sings a chord joining lives and souls, waiting only as each new member of the collective wanders in one by one.
2/2
Mimeomancer
Creature -- Human Wizard
Soulbond
As long as Mimeomancer is paired with another creature, it is a copy of that creature.
I could never be myself. You see, there is no me. I do not exist. There used to be a me, but I had it surgically removed.
1/1

Hooray for fun Clone variants.
Devoted Shaman

Creature - Human Shaman

Soulbond

As long as Devoted Shaman is paired
with another creature, each of those
creatures has ":  Creatures paired with this
get +0/+3 until end of turn" and ":  Creatures
paired with this get +3/+0 until end of turn"

2/2
Blood Mistress -
Creature - Vampire
Soulbond, Lifelink, Flying
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, ~ gets +2/+2 and has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice the creature paired with ~ and put a +1/+1 counter on ~."
3/3
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
I want to Soulbond two Mimeomancers together.

So, there are no colourless/artifact soulbond creatures. I can understand why but, in a way, skimming through the Soulbond creatures that they did print, this is kinda sad.

Dusty Puppet
Artifact
: This artifact becomes a 1/1 colourless creature with Soulbond, and "As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have : Draw a card" until end of turn.

"To feel life - even if only for a moment - the warmth, the fear, the sadness, and the beauty that come with it are worth more than any mortal can know."

"What does man know of dreams? The truest dreams come from those that yearn for cognizance."

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Peaceful Harmony -

Tribal Enchantment - Spirit

Soulbond

~ can Soulbond as though it were a creature.

The creature paired with ~ is indestructible, has protection from everything, and cannot attack.
Elvish Chieftain
Creature - Elf Druid Warrior
Soulbond
As long as you control 4 or more paired creatures, paired creatures you control get +3/+3 and have trample.
2/2

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Unity

Enchantment

All creatures you control have Soulbond. As long as a creature you control is paired with another creature, they each get +1/+1.
Ragesoul Ignitor |
Creature - Elemental
Soulbond
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, each of those creatures gets +3/+0 and has trample and haste.
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice ~ and the creature it's paired with.
0/1
Chainbreaker Demon
Creature - Demon
Trample
Soulbond
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice ~ or a creature paired with it.
You rarely see the servant of a demon. At least not alive.

7/7

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Spirit of the Tarm

Soulbond
Creatures paired with Spirit of the Tarm have "This creature's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1."
2/1

In a cycle alongside Spirit of the Forge, Spirit of the Confidant, Spirit of the Piledriver and Spirit of the Snap.
If you don't mind, I'll use an old card of mine I like. It would require a rewording of the ability from "pair this creature" to "pair this permanent", which is fairly minor.

Possessed Blade

Artifact - Equipment
Soulbond
CARDNAME can only be attached to the creature it is paired with.
Equipped creature gets +5/-3 and has first strike and trample.
Equip
It begins with the blade claiming: "You're my master. I exist to serve you."
It ends with the wielder repeating the same thing to the blade.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Seraph of Judgement

Creature - Angel Warrior
Flying, Soulbond
When Seraph of Judgement enters the battlefield, destroy all non-paired creatures.
Stand beside her, or fall before her.
4/4
Cautious Blinkwielder
Creature - Human Wizard

Soulbound
When Cautious Blinkwielder is paired with another creature, both creatures gain the ability: " , return this creature to it's owner's hand."

2/2
object width="300" height="100" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">
Soul of Souls
Creature - Spirit Avatar
When you play Soul of Souls, you may unpair any number of creatures you control.
Soulbond.
When Soul of Souls enters the battlefield, it may pair with any number of creatures you control.
1/1

Design Space

Do you think it should also have "All creatures paired with Soul of Souls have all Pair abilities of creatures paired with it."?
I thought of that, but it seems like too much for CMC 5.
I believe this creature is viable as-is.
I wasn't really buying a lot in that set, I do have a few Soulbond creatures. I'm going to "Gather" some info to see how scary it can be.

Soul of Souls maxbonding

Assuming you control exactly one of each printed Soulbond creature, here is your Soul of Souls.

Soul of Souls  
Creature - Spirit Avatar
When you play Soul of Souls, you may unpair any number of creatures you control.
Soulbond.
When Soul of Souls enters the battlefield, it may pair with any number of creatures you control.
Flying, Vigilance, Doublestrike, Trample, Deathtouch, Lifelink, Haste, First Strike, Reach, Hexproof, Protection from Zombies
Whenever this creature deals damage to an opponent, draw a card.
: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
: Target player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
: Untap this creature.
: Exile this creature, then return it to the battlefield under your control.

8/8

Perfectly reasonable as a CMC 5, right?!?
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Lost Revenant
Creature - Spirit Shade
Swampwalk, soulbond
As long as Lost Revenant is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has ": This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn."
Wandering the marsh, a lost soul ever in need of companionship.
1/1
edit: They were not so good so I removed them, from here at least.
Serviceable Centaur 
Creature - Centaur
Soulbond
As long as Serviceable Centaur is paired with another creature, both creatures have horsemanship.
"Give me your courage and I'll give you my legs"
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Infective Pyromaniac
Creature-Human Shaman
Soulbond
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has ", Unpair this creature: This creature deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player."
3/1

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Demon of Bondage 3BB
Creature - Demon
Soulbond
Flying, trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, tap the paired creature or tap ~.
/HARDER/
6/6
Burnforce Mage

Creature -- Human shaman

Soulbond

As long as ~ is paired, both creatures have "Whenever this creature attacks, deal 3 damage divided as you choose among any number of one, two or three target creatures and/or players."

1/1 
Gavony Housewife 
Creature -- Human

Soulbond, lifelink
When the creature paired with ~ dies, transform ~.

1/3

//

Avenging Widow
[] Creature -- Human Berserker

First strike
~ attacks each turn if able.

3/1

these should definitely get flavor text but i used up all my limited flavor-sense on the concept, even these mediocre names took like ten minutes to think of.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Demon of Bondage 3BB
Creature - Demon
Soulbond
Flying, trample
/HARDER/
6/6

this makes me don't want to enter anymore

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Necromancy Maniac
Creature - Human Wizard
Soulbound
Whenever ~ becomes paired, you may pay . If you do, sacrifice the paired creature and return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/2

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
scratch that.

Frenzied Jackal
Creature - Hound
Soulbound, haste
At the beginning of your end step, if ~ is not paired, sacrifice it.
3/1

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Fastbond Arrester 
Creature - Human Soldier
Soulbond
When ~ etb, you may gain control of target creature. If you do, pair it with ~. You control that creature as long as it is paired with ~.
as long as ~ is paired with another creature, those creatures can't attack or block, and their activated abilities can't be activated.
2/2
Halogen 
Artifact Creature - Atom
As long as ~ is paired, it gets -1/-1 and the creature it's paired with gets +1/+1.
1/3 

Also, bumpity-bump.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

As I graded these, I began to remember why I don't host more contests.

FiveMinuteCatNap
Harmonist of Union
Creature - Spirit Priest
SoulbondImprint- If the creature ~ is paired with would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
~ and the creature it's paired with have all abilities of creatures exiled by it.
She sings a chord joining lives and souls, waiting only as each new member of the collective wanders in one by one.
2/2

I like the combination of soulbond and imprint. It's interesting, but then I like cards that combine mechanics from different sets in interesting ways. The main problem I see with this card is the issue it has with multiple "power and toughness are each equal to" creatures. So, you imprinted a Nightmare and an Overbeing of Myth: what happens? I don't know, but if my suspicions are correct, you'd rip a hole in the fabric of the universe and destroy everything. Still, I like the concept.

Mimeomancer
Mimeomancer
Creature -- Human Wizard
Soulbond
As long as Mimeomancer is paired with another creature, it is a copy of that creature.
I could never be myself. You see, there is no me. I do not exist. There used to be a me, but I had it surgically removed.
1/1

Hooray for fun Clone variants.

A slight issue, given that it creates an infinite loop when it loses "As long as ~ is paired..." upon bocoming a copy because its still paired (see rule 702.92e and the notes following it, specifically the last one). So, it needs an "and gains this ability clause" to fix that issue. Other than that, it's an interesting, reusable Clone. I like the flavor text, and overall its fine.

Taramoor
Devoted Shaman

Creature - Human Shaman

Soulbond

As long as Devoted Shaman is paired
with another creature, each of those
creatures has ":  Creatures paired with this
get +0/+3 until end of turn" and ":  Creatures
paired with this get +3/+0 until end of turn"

2/2

I like this. It's a cute interaction. You can tap one of the pair to give an offensive or defensive boost for attacking or blocking with one of them, or give a +0/+3-6 buff so that one, or two of them can survive burn or for other shenanigans, or perhaps a +6/+0 offensive combat trick if one of the pair has vigilance. A surprising number of interactions for a cheap price. This is the sort of card I'd love to see printed specifically for limited play, where it can create all sorts of interesting situations. Nice card.

ConfusedAsUsual
Blood Mistress -
Creature - Vampire
Soulbond, Lifelink, Flying
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, ~ gets +2/+2 and has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice the creature paired with ~ and put a +1/+1 counter on ~."
3/3

Nice flavor. A vampire that benefits from her partner right up until she gets hungry and makes a meal out of them. As for the creature, it's essentially a 5/5 with flying and lifelink for five that keeps eating things you pair with it. A decent card, good flavor, and fairly balanced. Not bad, though there's really not much to comment on.

magicpablo666
I want to Soulbond two Mimeomancers together.

So, there are no colourless/artifact soulbond creatures. I can understand why but, in a way, skimming through the Soulbond creatures that they did print, this is kinda sad.

Dusty Puppet
Artifact
: This artifact becomes a 1/1 colourless creature with Soulbond, and "As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have : Draw a card" until end of turn.

"To feel life - even if only for a moment - the warmth, the fear, the sadness, and the beauty that come with it are worth more than any mortal can know."

"What does man know of dreams? The truest dreams come from those that yearn for cognizance."

Well, it's not the most efficient draw engine. After you cast it, you have to pay to turn it into a creature, then cast another creature to pair with it, and you have to pay ever turn after that to draw two cards. Actually, for the initial + investment, a turn to draw two cards is pretty efficient. But, you still have to jump through a lot of hoops to make this work and it might just not be worth it. Still, I like the flavor (Dusty Puppet makes me think of Stuffy Doll all alone in the corner of some attic) and the idea is cute if nothing else.

Jahikoi
Peaceful Harmony -

Tribal Enchantment - Spirit

Soulbond

~ can Soulbond as though it were a creature.

The creature paired with ~ is indestructible, has protection from everything, and cannot attack.

That's, different. So, the creature paired with this is pretty much impossible to kill, but can't do anything for you either than block and use whatever abilities it has. I suppose it could be used in some sort of control or stall deck, or you could use it to protect some important creature that belongs in some crazy combo. Maybe a Phelddagrif EDH group hug deck? I honestly don't know what to make of it really.

Fenix
Elvish Chieftain
Creature - Elf Druid Warrior
Soulbond
As long as you control 4 or more paired creatures, paired creatures you control get +3/+3 and have trample.
2/2

Ooh, something different. So, this and three other creature with soulbond (two pairs), and everybody gets an Overrun sized boost. It's interesting. I like that it encourages running a lot of soulbond creatures, sort of a soulbond lord. It's fine, since it's really not hard to disrupt at all, balanced, and fairly flavorful, so yeah, good job.

zeratulcraft
Unity

Enchantment

All creatures you control have Soulbond. As long as a creature you control is paired with another creature, they each get +1/+1.

Well, it doesn't really have soulbond itself, but I'll let that slide since it is, mostly, in the spirit of the criteria. As for the card, it's fine. Basically an Honor of the Pure for paired creatures. The fact that it affects any creature as long as its paired with something makes it a little more versatile at the same time as it makes it more narrow. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with it, and in multiples it can even become fairly powerful, but for the most part there are better options available.

Echo_Robin
Ragesoul Ignitor |
Creature - Elemental
Soulbond
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, each of those creatures gets +3/+0 and has trample and haste.
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice ~ and the creature it's paired with.
0/1

Nice. So, it's a Spark Elemental as long as its paired, and it gives a fairly decent boost to whatever it's paired with but costs you that creature unless you manage to unpair them before you end step. That's, really interesting. Really benefits from some sort of sac outlet, and makes your opponent think twice about blocking since, if it dies, you could keep the other creature. The mana cost might be a bit low, not too sure, but overall I really like this.

Mown
Chainbreaker Demon
Creature - Demon
Trample
Soulbond

7/7

Kind of wish it had flying. Regardless, I love the flavor behind this and the mechanic is fitting as well. As long as you can continue to sacrifice creatures to it, you get a 7/7 with trample for just four mana (I understand why it can't have flying). Of course, it comes with some risk, since if you lose your paired creature to some random burn spell you likely lose the demon when your turn rolls around again. Still, it's oozing with flavor and looks like it'd be fairly fun to play. Nice card.

turnip_song
Spirit of the Tarm

Soulbond
Creatures paired with Spirit of the Tarm have "This creature's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1."
2/1

In a cycle alongside Spirit of the Forge, Spirit of the Confidant, Spirit of the Piledriver and Spirit of the Snap.

...I'm scared. So, it turns anything it's paired with into Tarmogoyf, with the added benefit of leaving its own abilities alone. Just to get it out of the way: what if it's paired with something like Mortivore? Okay, moving on. This, frightens me. For the same price as a Tarmogoyf you could turn your Birds of Paradise or Ornithopter into something extremely dangerous. Now, obviously it needs another creature to function and is fairly easy to kill, essentially eliminating the threat of the other creature, but still, it's a bit crazy. I really don't know that to make of it. My Spike side loves it and I like the concept, but it worries me. Also, could use a creature type.

pietro_aronica
If you don't mind, I'll use an old card of mine I like. It would require a rewording of the ability from "pair this creature" to "pair this permanent", which is fairly minor.

Possessed Blade

Artifact - Equipment
Soulbond
CARDNAME can only be attached to the creature it is paired with.
Equipped creature gets +5/-3 and has first strike and trample.
Equip
It begins with the blade claiming: "You're my master. I exist to serve you."
It ends with the wielder repeating the same thing to the blade.

Interesting. A bit hard to use, given that you need a creature with a minimum of four toughness, though the first strike helps to mitigate the toughness loss. Really low casting and equipping cost, but then, you can't really take advantage of that until you've gotten something relatively large out to equip it to. Overall, it's an interesting concept, with fairly good mechanical flavor. Not bad.

catowner
Halogen 
Artifact Creature - Atom
As long as ~ is paired, it gets -1/-1 and the creature it's paired with gets +1/+1.
1/3 

I feel like there is some clever top-down design/flavor going on here. All I remember about Halogens is that they're extremely reactive and desperately want to balance themselves by reacting with other elements. Go chemistry. Anyway, it's cute. I like the overall flavor and, well it's just cute. Not really that useful, but whatever.

McKinzie
Seraph of Judgement

Creature - Angel Warrior
Flying, Soulbond
When Seraph of Judgement enters the battlefield, destroy all non-paired creatures.
Stand beside her, or fall before her.
4/4

You must have a battle buddy to survive the apocalypse. So, everybody who doesn't have a friend dies. I like it. A wrath attached to a 4/4 flying body that can potentially be very one-sided if you build around it. I won't say no to that. It's a fairly simple card that does something I've seen before but in an interesting way that supports the soulbond mechanic. Not much to say really, it's a solid card.

Kenku
Cautious Blinkwielder
Creature - Human Wizard

Soulbound
When Cautious Blinkwielder is paired with another creature, both creatures gain the ability: " , return this creature to it's owner's hand."

2/2

for a way to bounce your own creatures. A simple way to recast things and get the most out of blink targets, save yourself from wrath effects or similar things, etc. It's not bad, sort of a cheaper, less efficient version of Deadeye Navigator, though I can already think of several interesting Johnny things to do with it. Not bad, though not the most exciting card ever. Good mechanical flavor though.

BiggBaddBill
Soul of Souls
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Soulbond.
1/1

Design Space

Do you think it should also have "All creatures paired with Soul of Souls have all Pair abilities of creatures paired with it."?
I thought of that, but it seems like too much for CMC 5.
I believe this creature is viable as-is.
I wasn't really buying a lot in that set, I do have a few Soulbond creatures. I'm going to "Gather" some info to see how scary it can be.

Soul of Souls maxbonding

Assuming you control exactly one of each printed Soulbond creature, here is your Soul of Souls.

Soul of Souls  
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Soulbond.
Flying, Vigilance, Doublestrike, Trample, Deathtouch, Lifelink, Haste, First Strike, Reach, Hexproof, Protection from Zombies
Whenever this creature deals damage to an opponent, draw a card.
: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
: Target player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
: Untap this creature.
: Exile this creature, then return it to the battlefield under your control.

8/8

Perfectly reasonable as a CMC 5, right?!?

Well, that does what I think most people wanted soulbond to do from the beginning: allows you to 'bond' as many creatures together as you could. So, the more soulbond creatures you have the more powerful this becomes. Despite its apparent complexity, it's really a very simple card so there isn't much to comment on. For five different colored mana you can potentially end up with something fairly large with a decent number of abilities. Obviously it really only works in casual, but plenty of great cards are like that, so there you go. Interesting and fun, if a bit difficult to use effectively.

Koridian
Lost Revenant
Creature - Spirit Shade
Swampwalk, soulbond
As long as Lost Revenant is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has ": This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn."
Wandering the marsh, a lost soul ever in need of companionship.
1/1

So it's the shade version of Stonewright. The toughness boost helps it perform a little better, though this really probably wouldn't be much use outside of limited. Still, it's balanced, has good flavor, and is functional (which is more of an accomplishment than most people realize. This is the sort of thing I could see being printed as a common or uncommon right alongside any of the other soulbond creatures already in print. Not really exciting, but solid.

Sebanovich
Serviceable Centaur 
Creature - Centaur
Soulbond
As long as Serviceable Centaur is paired with another creature, both creatures have horsemanship.
"Give me your courage and I'll give you my legs"

Is it a dead horse, cause otherwise it could use some power and toughness. Ignoring that, it's not bad. Horsemanship is obviously riding entirely on flavor (riding, heh, bad pun). The card is basically a nice top-down/flavor-driven design. A fine card, though little else.

Edacade
Infective Pyromaniac
Creature-Human Shaman
Soulbond
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has ", Unpair this creature: This creature deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player."
3/1

Interesting. So, in order to reuse it's burn ability you have to cast another creature spell. I could actually see this being used fairly effectively next to some cheap creatures with decent power. Maybe some Spark Elemental or Ball Lightning. They have haste, so you'd get to activate it the turn they enter play, plus they would be sacrificed anyway, so the unpair factor matter little. Very neat.

ChaosLight
Demon of Bondage 3BB
Creature - Demon
Soulbond
Flying, trample
/HARDER/
6/6

That flavor text gave me a good laugh. I commented on a card similar to this already and they function in very similar manners. Basically you have to give the demon something to punish or else it taps itself (for some reason that sounds wrong). It follows in the proud tradition of many demons by being efficient so long as you can pay its price. Really, not much to say, it's hysterical. A fairly strong card with great mechanical flavor and an interesting sort of top-down design.

an_endless_epidemic
Burnforce Mage

Creature -- Human shaman

Soulbond

As long as ~ is paired, both creatures have "Whenever this creature attacks, deal 3 damage divided as you choose among any number of one, two or three target creatures and/or players."

1/1 

The moderate cost along with the low power and toughness help to balance out what is probably an extremely powerful card. Not necessarily in constructed (though it could be, who knows) but in limited it is an absolute monster. Since both creatures gain the ability, you swing and can eliminate pretty much any resistance. Six 1/1s, three 2/2s, two 3/3s, a 6/6, some weird combination of those. Divided burn is always dangerous and this is no exception. However, as I stated, it does have low power and toughness, and it costs a fair bit though I wouldn't say no to another or . I'd love to drop this with a Lightning Mauler and go to town. Anyway, very powerful but interesting.

Glasir
Gavony Housewife 
Creature -- Human

Soulbond, lifelink
When the creature paired with ~ dies, transform ~.

1/3

//

Avenging Widow
[] Creature -- Human Berserker

First strike
~ attacks each turn if able.

3/1

these should definitely get flavor text but i used up all my limited flavor-sense on the concept, even these mediocre names took like ten minutes to think of.

Oh no, he killed Mrs. Rutabaga's cat! Everybody, run for your lives, she's gonna kill us all!

Anyway, that's what went through my head when I read your card. Dripping with top-down flavor. The wife loses something precious and goes out on a quest of vengeance to rain blood upon those that killed her precious whatever. Overall, it's not bad. A 1/3 with lifelink for is okay, not anything to really leap out of bed for, but whatever. On the other hand a 3/1 with first strike at is actually pretty decent, even if it did cost you a creature to get there. Overall, I really like the flavor and the card itself is decent.

theatog
scratch that.

Frenzied Jackal
Creature - Hound
Soulbound, haste
3/1

If there was ever a card I loved, it was Dakmor Sorceress. If there was a second card, it was Elves of Deep Shadow. However, somewhere on that list about ten or twelve cards down, is Jackal Pup and Jackal Familiar. This is right up there. I love the mechanic, the flavor, and the elegance. You get a 3/1 that dies if there isn't somewhere around to keep it from killing itself. Not really that much to say, I like it. It's a good card and that's all there is to it.

VRdragoon
Fastbond Arrester 
Creature - Human Soldier
Soulbond
When ~ etb, you may gain control of target creature. If you do, pair it with ~. You control that creature as long as it is paired with ~.
as long as ~ is paired with another creature, those creatures can't attack or block, and their activated abilities can't be activated.
2/2

This is kind of neat. It's a sort of an Arrest in creature form. The lower cost makes it fairly strong, but it is also pretty easy to kill, which would mean they get their creature back. All around, really a decent card and an interesting use of soulbond, though its not breaking any new ground. Still, not every card has to completely revolutionize the game.

Done...and no more of these for a while, or perhaps ever.

Third
Third place goes to Edacade.

Infective Pyromaniac
Creature-Human Shaman
Soulbond
3/1

Second
Second place is a tie. So congrats to Echo_Robin and theatog.
Ragesoul Ignitor |

Creature - Elemental
Soulbond
0/1

Frenzied Jackal
Creature - Hound
Soulbound, haste
3/1

First
First place goes to Mown.

Chainbreaker Demon
Creature - Demon
Trample
Soulbond

7/7

Super Special Awesome
And, the Super Special Awesome place goes to ChaosLight.

Demon of Bondage 3BB
Creature - Demon
Soulbond
Flying, trample
/HARDER/
6/6

Thank you to all the participants and I hope you'll compete again next time.

Hooray bdsm demon!
Note to me for future 13th_Horseman contests:

Include the word "sacrifice" on your card if you want to place.

Fun contest, 13th H. I'm glad you thought my card was cute - though I was going for melancholy/dismal/gloomy. I'll look forward to the next one.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
A slight issue, given that it creates an infinite loop when it loses "As long as ~ is paired..." upon bocoming a copy because its still paired (see rule 702.92e and the notes following it, specifically the last one).

Where are you getting this?  There's no infinite loop.
A slight issue, given that it creates an infinite loop when it loses "As long as ~ is paired..." upon bocoming a copy because its still paired (see rule 702.92e and the notes following it, specifically the last one).

Where are you getting this?  There's no infinite loop.

The way I figured the card worked is like this:

Mimeomancer enters battlefield and you pair it with a Llanowar Elves. It becomes a copy of Llanowar Elves. The second ability (not soulbond) states, "As long as ~ is paired with another creature, it is a copy of that creature." Unlike other clone effects, this has a "As long as" attached to it. So, it becomes a copy of Llanowar Elves and loses the "As long as..." ability. So, it stops being a copy of Llanowar Elves and regains the "As long as..." ability. Since it's still paired with the Elves, it becomes a copy and the process repeats.

Now, I'm not sure that's actually how it works. So, someone who understands the way the rules work better than I do can tell me if I'm wrong. That is, it becomes a copy and, because it's still paired (it will remain paired even though it loses soulbond) it remains a copy (so, the second ability has no relelvance upon it remaining a copy, only on it becoming a copy: in other words, losing the ability does not make the creature revert back to its original form).

As I said, I don't know, this is one of those weird interactions that I don't get. I tried looking at other clone variants to try to find an answer, but none of them have a "As long as [specific thing]...~ becomes (or is) a copy of [object]." None of them have an ability that is reliant upon something else.

Did any of that make sense?
Damn I thought my avatar would at least cheat me into top 3. Though I guess I could work on my cards flavor, I tried really hard to come up with a cooler name and some flavor text, but for the life of me, I couldn't.

Cool contest anyway.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Read the section on layers.  The copy effect applies at layer 1.  True, it goes away after that, but it's already been applied, and none of the later layers deal with copy effects.
Read the section on layers.  The copy effect applies at layer 1.  True, it goes away after that, but it's already been applied, and none of the later layers deal with copy effects.

Okay, that makes all sorts of sense now. Also, layers have got to be one of the most obscure and difficult to understand set of rules ever. Luckily there was a lovely article explaining them in detail. So, yes, it becomes a copy loses the ability and doesn't change back. No infinite loop. You can merely ignore that segment of the comments I left you. I apologize for my confusion.
How come no one told me about me forgetting the p/t? 
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Was going to be upset about not being in the top 3, but then I looked over the cards that were. Excellent work, guys. 
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Hooray bdsm demon!

I like CL's card better. why sacrifice when you can tap. And moreover, if you sacrifice, it makes bonding much less relevant.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]