Creating a half and half deck

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need someone's opinion on this idea: Would a half white/half blue deck be good? Recently, I got back into playing Magic and I'm trying to create a new deck. I've never done something like this before but do decks like these usually work? Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Yes. Any two colors in Magic combine very well. Certain color pairs do certain things well. is almost always control. control decks use to draw cards, counter spells, and bounce things. They use for removal, board sweepers, and lockdown effects.

The most important thing to remember when building a mutlicolored deck is that you have to be able to draw lands that produce the correct color of mana to cast your spells. Dual lands like Glacial Fortress help you by having the option to produce different types of mana.

Yes. Any two colors in Magic combine very well. Certain color pairs do certain things well. is almost always control. control decks use to draw cards, counter spells, and bounce things. They use for removal, board sweepers, and lockdown effects.

The most important thing to remember when building a mutlicolored deck is that you have to be able to draw lands that produce the correct color of mana to cast your spells. Dual lands like Glacial Fortress help you by having the option to produce different types of mana.

Even better, Hallowed Fountain. And you should run both.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Even better, Tundra. And you should run all three.

I think a card that costs $85 each (for a mangled copy) or $106 (for one that is in good condition) and isn't even usable in standard, extended or modern is really quite silly advice for a new player.

A full playset of BOTH Glacial Fortress and Hallowed Fountain costs less than a single heavily played Tundra. And those are both legal in standard atm.

But yeah, Glacial Fortress is probably your best bet if you're on a budget (and you might also want to pick up some Azorius Guildgates; they're not as good, but they're not exactly terrible, and they cost next to nothing), but if you're reasonably well off Hallowed Fountain is a great card.

You're missing the point. I was just annoyed at falconer for thinking I had to showcase the best possible land when just providing an example of what a dual land is which a new player might not be familiar with, and just used Glacial Fortress because it is a core set staple. I hope you don't actually think I was suggesting that a new player go out and buy a playset of Tundra.

Hell, even Hallowed Fountain are expensive. You expect a new player to want to shell out $55 on a set of lands? Really the best option for a new player would probably be Sejiri Refuge or Azorius Chancery (though Celestial Colonnade, Adarkar Wastes, Skycloud Expanse, and Glacial Fortress aren't that bad), since they're at most a dollar for a full set. You can acquire better fixing over time.

Yeah, but I'm pretty surewe're not talking about Legacy here.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.

Glacial Fortress is not a dual land for starters, dual lands got it's name from counting as either "plains or swamp" or what have you. The Ravnica lands I'll just stick to shock lands and duals will be saved for the real duals. Anywho calling G.F a dual is the same as calling shivan oasis a dual   

You're missing the point. I was just annoyed at falconer for thinking I had to showcase the best possible land when just providing an example of what a dual land is which a new player might not be familiar with, and just used Glacial Fortress because it is a core set staple. I hope you don't actually think I was suggesting that a new player go out and buy a playset of Tundra.

Hell, even Hallowed Fountain are expensive. You expect a new player to want to shell out $55 on a set of lands? Really the best option for a new player would probably be Sejiri Refuge or Azorius Chancery (though Celestial Colonnade, Adarkar Wastes, Skycloud Expanse, and Glacial Fortress aren't that bad), since they're at most a dollar for a full set. You can acquire better fixing over time.

Why wouldn't you suggest Tundras to a new player? Might as well break them in 1 staple at a time and show them how much of a money sink magic is right.

Yeah because we all know $55 is a TON of $$ for lands that shock you when you play them untapped and $30 is expensive for 1 card when you could save that money up to buy an even better card like black lotus, recall, or timewalk 

A dual land is a land that produces two colors. The original duals got that name because they were the first lands to do that. If Magic had started with Boreal Shelf and friends it's likely those cards would have gotten the name dual lands as well. You could call Evolving Wilds a fetch land to. That's what it does, fetches a land.
A dual land is a land that produces two colors. The original duals got that name because they were the first lands to do that. If Magic had started with Boreal Shelf and friends it's likely those cards would have gotten the name dual lands as well. You could call Evolving Wilds a fetch land to. That's what it does, fetches a land.

Umm nope shivan oasis and others are not considered dual lands. Just because they have similar effects as duals does not mean it's a dual land otherwise they'd be having higher price tags. Also you cannot search for those types of lands through fetch or other means such as farseek. Not being a jerk or anything just letting you know that just because they tap for 1 of 2 colors does not make them a dual land. I'm not sure about how most people feel about that but i'm pretty certain you'd get your butt handed to you if you went to a tourney or played with older players going in with a "insert land name" and called it a dual

As far as the new fetches go, yes they are fetches because they do the same exact thing as the originals just different names and pictures. If shocklands had no drawback then yes I would call them dual lands. The shock effect given to them though for whatever reason makes it difficult to say dual land because i'd rather let it come into play tapped than pay 2 life. I sure as hell would not play shocklands in legacy at all, Modern yes, Extended yes, 1.5/vintage hecks no. As i've said you can argue with me if you want about the dual lands but if it doesn't count as the 2 basic land types (searching perposes) and has no drawback (pay 2 life or not coming into play tapped) then it's not a dual.  

Dual has a double meaning: Either the original 10-card cycle from Beta (Volcanic Island wasn't in Alpha.) or any similar land. Depends heavily on context.
139359831 wrote: