Post RtR W/u

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im workin on a detain/ exile deck and was wondering what are some good standard draw cards?
 currently all im rinning is Inaction Injunction and a righteous authority.

another question is how this deck would compare to other standard deck ideas bein made right now and if this deck has any viability.
this is the deck i played at the prerelease saturday plus some cards to make it 60 instead of 40.

creatures
3x Archon of the Triumvirate
4x Fiend Hunter
4x Lyev Skyknight
1x New Prahv Guildmage
2x Skymark Roc

spells
3x Arrest
1x Bonds of Faith
3x Ethereal Armor
4x Martial Law
4x Oblivion Ring
1x Righteous Authority
2x Sphere of Safety
4x Inaction Injunction
3x Azorius Keyrune

land
4x Azorius Guildgate
1x Glacial Fortress
5x Island
11x Plains

I really like the whole idea of detain but since most of the detain creatures say when it enters the battlefield i decided to swap some of them out for Oblivion Ring and Fiend Hunter. The reason there are so many enchantments is Sphere of Safety and Ethereal Armor. both of which saved my butt on numeral occasions and got me to 4th place (not bad since it was my first tournament besides a booster draft and a standerd).
thanks for all the advice :D
i think blue/white will be good. everyone that test seems to think delver is dead but i like the idea of White Weenie with a splash coming back in. this is what ive been testing and its been uber fast. also you want to make sure your deck curves. 

Lands:21
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Glacial Fortress
3 Moorland Haunt
8 Plains
2 Island(gates are too slow for this deck)

Creatures:28
4 Champion of the Parish
4 War Falcon
4 Precinct Captain
4 Knight of Glory
2 Loyal Cather
4 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Silverblade Paladin
3 Lyev Skyknight(could cut one for a loyal cathar but these have been great)

Spells:11
4 Azorius Charm
4 Inaction Injuction
3 Spectral Flight

SB:15
this is currently a work in progress.

That seems like a great deck, especially with all the cards costing over $10 each but there are only 7 cards in there that have anything to do with detain >.<
well in that list you really dont want detain every turn. and you eventually have to be able to take advantage of the detain. if you were to go that route. cards like detention sphere, azorius runekey, sepreme verdict, restoration angel, snapcaster mage possibly.

Aura enchantments are not very viable if they are going on your own creatures in standard right now outside of spectral flight and rancor and they barely make the cut. Compared to other decks, chances are you could get trolled a lot by black/green zombies or bgr zombies. martial law seems like a decent card there seeing as you could lock down troll and messengers. if i were you i would change the deck 1 to 4 cards at the most at a time since you"re just starting out.

Might not be the place for it but if you are also just starting out i would suggest you and 1 to 2 other people you know play and combine your collection. you're coming in at a great and bad time. the last time ravnica was in standard it was great. the problem was decks are typically more expensive because of the shocklands and now some planeswalkers, abrupt decays, etc.  

also in my list i cut -2 loyal cathar for +2 serra avenger. i completely forget she was reprinted in the last core set. 
Why aren't auras very viable in standard atm? if i put in some invisible stalker and some curiosity mixed in with my other auras would do really well. I understand that most people run a sideboard with 3-4 enchant removal but if i have 25 enchantments, 3-4 removal aren't gonna do much help. sphere of safety is basically anti zombie/token. this is what ive come up with that i hope is more viable.

creatures
2x Archon of the Triumvirate 
3x Elgaud Shieldmate
4x Invisible Stalker
1x Lyev Skyknight
4x Skymark Roc

enchantments
4x Curiosity
4x Ethereal Armor
4x Ghostly Touch
3x Martial Law
3x Oblivion Ring
1x Righteous Authority
3x Sphere of Safety
3x Arrest

land
9x Plains
7x Island
4x Azorius Guildgate
1x Glacial Fortress

lots of enchants to disrupt them and help me. a few big dudes just in case its a long game. and invisible stalker for a main play.

is there any way in standard (post RtR) that i can make all those 3/3 tokens into 3/2 or less? that way my roc can bounce them into oblivion
The trouble with most enchantments is they go away when the creature does and you usually lose two cards for one.

There are spells that reduce toughness, but I can't think of anything in or . There are certainly numerous ways to bounce tokens into oblivion in or .
with half my creatures being hexproof (or able to be made hexproof with elgaud shieldmate) the spot removal cards wont work. only sac and work cards will kill my creatures. (thats the plan anywho)

oh i found a card, Izzet Staticaster, that would make the 3/3s into 3/2s for a bit. but i cant figure a way to keep the whole hexproof/enchant deck strategy and splashe red for her.  
Staticaster doesn't reduce toughness. It just does damage. No synergy with Roc.
oh... i feel like a noob atm but anywho. so the only spells that give /-1 in standard are black... any way to splash black and still have my strategy or should i just move on and deal with it?
oh... i feel like a noob atm but anywho. so the only spells that give /-1 in standard are black... any way to splash black and still have my strategy or should i just move on and deal with it?

Sure, use a bunch of expensive, dual-color lands. It's probably best to move on and deal with it.
alrighty then moving on and dealing with it :D thanks
Sign In to post comments