2 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Devil's Play
1 Increasing Vengeance

Lands:
3 Mountain
9 Forest
11 Island
1 Steam Vents[/deck]

This is a UGr combo deck based on accelerating into a large Epic Experiment, with the intent of searching up all the lands in your library, taking several extra turns and casting Devil's Play with X=20+, or casting several bonfires with X=9 or 10.

Other epic experiment decks I saw on various forums generally had several problems. First off, they didn't play green, so they weren't experimenting for more than 4 or 5. Second off, they played immense amounts of terrible cards, generally because Epic Experiment is a card that appeals to more casual players (rightfully so). I attempted to remedy both these problems with tons of mana acceleration, card draw, and powerful miracle effects. 

This deck runs a little bit differently than a typical combo deck like Heartbeat of Spring, Dredge, or Dragonstorm. Rather than win in one turn by creating an engine that gets more and more powerful, the combo operates over the span of several turns. Epic Experiment into Devastation tide and some mana acceleration won't win you the game, but it will stall for time as your engine continues to get more powerful. It is also incredibly random, you could hit anything off of Epic Experiment, and you have to work with what you get. Maybe you'll get 2 extra turns, maybe you'll get none, a Mystic retrieval and a boundless realms. Maybe you will randomly hit a miracle on turn 5, maybe no. Despite this randomness, the deck is very consistently powerful, winning turn 5-7, depending on the amount of disruption you draw. Also, it is immensely fun, quite possibly the most fun combo deck I've ever played.

Oh, and I don't refrain from playing nonbasics for budget reasons, I used to have them in but they were incredibly bad, since not much of your mana ramp can search for nonbasics. 

The deck is still rather early in testing, so it is certainly subject to revision. Let me know what you think. 
57023148 wrote:
People really think WotC is reprinting Lightning Bolt? Really? Are people that gullible?
This looks like a really good Epic Experiment deck. I tried building one and it turned out awful, and I quickly moved on. The only thing I dpn't see is how you are supposed to do damage. If you end up using epic experiment on your devil's play or bonfire, then you can't do anything. This can be especially bad if your mystic retrievals end up on the bottom of your deck. The only thing I reccomend is raising the burn a little. Otherwise it's the best deck I've seen for EE.
This looks like a really good Epic Experiment deck. I tried building one and it turned out awful, and I quickly moved on. The only thing I dpn't see is how you are supposed to do damage. If you end up using epic experiment on your devil's play or bonfire, then you can't do anything. This can be especially bad if your mystic retrievals end up on the bottom of your deck. The only thing I recommend is raising the burn a little. Otherwise it's the best deck I've seen for EE.

If he pulls his burn with Epic Experiment then he's hoping to flashback Devil's Play and/or return the Bonfires to his hand via Mystic Retrievals using flashback. If he manages to not pull out the burn or retrievals... well his deck will end up being like 4-5 cards after a successful EE (Boundless Realms, such a good idea here ), so he should draw into them.

@OP:  Nice Deck, good luck with your playtesting. Do you plan on taking this anywhere? or was it made for casual play?

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

This looks like a really good Epic Experiment deck. I tried building one and it turned out awful, and I quickly moved on. The only thing I dpn't see is how you are supposed to do damage. If you end up using epic experiment on your devil's play or bonfire, then you can't do anything. This can be especially bad if your mystic retrievals end up on the bottom of your deck. The only thing I recommend is raising the burn a little. Otherwise it's the best deck I've seen for EE.

If he pulls his burn with Epic Experiment then he's hoping to flashback Devil's Play and/or return the Bonfires to his hand via Mystic Retrievals using flashback. If he manages to not pull out the burn or retrievals... well his deck will end up being like 4-5 cards after a successful EE (Boundless Realms, such a good idea here ), so he should draw into them.

@OP:  Nice Deck, good luck with your playtesting. Do you plan on taking this anywhere? or was it made for casual play?

While I too see how he plans on doing that, I feel like it's not as reliable.  Hoping to drop the bonfire of the damned and devil's play into the grave to be picked up with mystic retrieval while tormod's crypt, rest in peace, and grafdigger's cage etc are running around in sideboards... not so fun.  Game 1 would take them by surprise, then 2 and 3 they're ready to make your gaveyard, and thus, the bonfires and devil's play you "cast for 0", worthless. I feel like I would rather see some "normal" burn too: thunderous wrath being a good one I think.

All that being said, this deck looks ridiculously cool, and I'd love to tinker around with the idea and see where I find myself 

There are a couple big tournaments coming up in my area, including an SCG open that I might play this in, depending on how the format develops. It all depends how competitive this deck ends up being, and whether anyone else comes up with a version of it that is competitive.
57023148 wrote:
People really think WotC is reprinting Lightning Bolt? Really? Are people that gullible?
Big RUG fan here so I am building a deck similar to this one. Due to price limits I've replaced the bonfires with Thunderous Wraths... hope to see some good results... wondering a few things tho..

First what do you think about Desolate Lighthouse to have a chance at a miracle on your opponents turn?

And second what kind of a sideboard are you looking at?
Bonfire is not what you want here, its just not efficient at burning the opponent or their creatures out unless you're running your own creatures.
Bonfire is not what you want here, its just not efficient at burning the opponent or their creatures out unless you're running your own creatures.

This is a fair point, would you suggest Rolling Tremblor, Blasphemous Act or something else?

Edit: Updated list

Sideboard is very tentative and subject to change as the metagame shifts. 

57023148 wrote:
Curious about what prompted you to take out the thought scours?
Curious about what prompted you to take out the thought scours?

Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy are both significantly better.
57023148 wrote:
Played this at Missouri State Championships, ended up going 5-0-2 (2 intentional draws) but then lost in the top 8 to a guy I beat in the swiss. Regardless, it was an incredibly surprising and successful performance for me, debatably the best tournament success I have ever had. This is the list I ended up running (though I think it should be posted online on SCG or TCGplayer):

4 Farseek
4 Ranger's Path
3 Boundless Realms

4 Think Twice
4 Epic Experiment
1 Mystic Retrieval
4 Devastation Tide
4 Temporal Mastery
2 Steam Vents
4 Mountain
7 Forest
1 Hinterland Harbor
9 Island

4 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Devil's Play
2 Increasing Vengeance
2 Overgrown Tomb
SB: 4 Dispel
SB: 4 Rolling Temblor
SB: 4 Fog
SB: 1 Rakdos's Return
SB: 2 Druid's Deliverance
57023148 wrote:
Nice job doing well with a unique decklists. Im curious what matchups you faced in the swiss. How does this deck beat a dedicated rdw/rakdos aggro full of haste creatures and burn? 
Nice job doing well with a unique decklists. Im curious what matchups you faced in the swiss. How does this deck beat a dedicated rdw/rakdos aggro full of haste creatures and burn? 

It doesn't.

My matchups were GW midrange, GWB token midrange, Esper Tokens, UWR control and BGR Midrange, in that order.
57023148 wrote:
lol c42 still playin bad decks lulz epic #diss ujustgottr0lled 0gm
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet

2epic4u
57023148 wrote:

2epic4u

3epic5me (its more than 2epic)
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
My testing shows that this has fairly good game against non aggro decks. I play -2 alchemy +2 temblor main. so far increasing vengeance has been quite good, maybe a third copy? The deck might only need 3 copies of epic experiment, because I rarely feel like casting it for x less than 7. 
Congrats.  I just saw this on reddit.

Good work.

What would you change after the fact?

Also, how did you sideboard?

Cool deck.  This seems like something where round 1 and 2 are crucial.  If you can dodge the aggro menace, you'll be paired with lots of midrange or control in this format.

Proud to see someone from this forum design a new build.

EDIT:  No SB JAT?  Consider JAT at all?
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Its amazing how much people tilt losing to this deck. I think I'm roughly 10-0 in matches so far (testing on cockatrice), but havent had the chance to test against a real aggro deck yet, where I think I would probably lose. In my last match I combo'd turn 5 against 4 open mana. After going through basically my entire deck and taking ~5 extra turns my opponent asks if i have a win con, to which i respond that i have 1x devil's play. He then claims to have dissipate and thanks me for wasting his time, quitting before I can say anything . Of course, its fairly easy to win through dissipate using increasing vengeance once you have all your lands and your entire deck. 

Edit: Have you considered bountiful harvest sideboard vs rdw/rakdos aggro. I know its a super janky last pick limited card, but with all the ramp maybe its the card that is needed. I just lost a close match vs rakdos, and im sure if i had a harvest/hit harvest off my experiment for 7 i wouldve gotten there.
Bountiful Harvest sounds very, very playable.

I was thinking about dudes in the SB for g2 when te opponents board out removal.

FattiesRamp seems possible with Tusk and Dungeon Geist.

Just a random idea to make Negate g2 terrible.

Props again, Caldera. I got everything I need to try this out now.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Bump!

Caldera, come back!

I'm playing a Blood Crypt in my MD and I have very happy with the decision. 
Show
Bump!

Caldera, come back!

why would you do that? it seems unnecessary
57023148 wrote:
Bump!

Caldera, come back!

Flashback forbidden alchemy. 
Caldera, I remember you now. 

Should I play your list at Indy scgo?  
This deck is hilarious. I threw it together online to playtest with a friend. He scooped after I Epic Experimented for 15 and still left "counter mana" up. Had 2 Temporal Masteries, Devestation Tide, and more ramp to make sure there were no lands in the deck afterwards.

Depends. If you want to win, I have no idea. I don't really follow Standard and went to states on a whim, I have no idea whether playing this is a good decision, I only played it because it was fun and original, I never expected to do well with it. The deck does lose to Zombies and Mono red almost 100% of the time, so that is something to be wary of.

However, if you just want to play something fun and wacky that has a chance of being succesful, go for it. But make sure you play the deck a LOT beforehand, there are a bunch of subtleties that you need to understand, especially in order to get around countermagic and graveyard hate.
57023148 wrote:

Depends. If you want to win, I have no idea. I don't really follow Standard and went to states on a whim, I have no idea whether playing this is a good decision, I only played it because it was fun and I made it, I never expected to do well with it. The deck does lose to Zombies and Mono red almost 100% of the time, so that is something to be wary of.

However, if you just want to play something fun and wacky that has a chance of being succesful, go for it. But make sure you play the deck a LOT beforehand, there are a bunch of subtleties that you need to understand, especially in order to get around countermagic and graveyard hate.

THEN I GUESS I WON'T PLAY IT

but yeah cool deck.

What did you get for your top 8?  

Depends. If you want to win, I have no idea. I don't really follow Standard and went to states on a whim, I have no idea whether playing this is a good decision, I only played it because it was fun and I made it, I never expected to do well with it. The deck does lose to Zombies and Mono red almost 100% of the time, so that is something to be wary of.

but yeah cool deck.

A playmat, 18 packs, bragging rights and a medium sized fan club.

Seriously there were probably a dozen people watching my top 8 match. I feel bad for letting them down

57023148 wrote:

but yeah cool deck.

A playmat, 18 packs, bragging rights and a medium sized fan club.

Seriously there were probably a dozen people watching my top 8 match. I feel bad for letting them down

Thats fun then.

My expectations for the upcomming tournament are low. Just want to have a good time.  

Thats fun then.

My expectations for the upcomming tournament are low. Just want to have a good time.  

That's the only reason I ever play. Of course, I just drew 4 rounds and something like 12 games total with a control deck. So I guess that makes me a dick.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.

Thats fun then.

That's the only reason I ever play. Of course, I just drew 4 rounds and something like 12 games total with a control deck. So I guess that makes me a dick.

See, with combo everybody just scoops because they know it'll take you a long time to do it and they know they lose. With control they know they're going to lose but they make you beat them rather han scooping. 

Thats fun then.

See, with combo everybody just scoops because they know it'll take you a long time to do it and they know they lose. With control they know they're going to lose but they make you beat them rather han scooping. 

Yeah, I'll probably sleeve this up if I go somewhere else. At the very least I won't go to time every round.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Bump!

Caldera, come back!

I'll often have UG when I Farseek and want to get all my colors.  Furthermore, I wanted an additional red source.

I really like the addition and recommend it. 

What did you think about Bountiful Harvest in the SB? 
Show
up!
Show
up!

Not that my opinion or experience matters much, but I'm smashing this list on FNM cause I'm having too much fun with my friends playing it. I'm having a lot of fun using Bountiful vs aggro matches. I generally drop 2 Forbidden and an Increasing Vengeance for 2 harvests and a fog if I see any sort of aggro. Though finding the right cards to pull in and out I find difficult at the moment.

My SB looks like this:

4 Fog
3 Dispel
3 Bountiful
4 Rolling
1 Rakdos Return

I'll post how it goes after FNM tomorrow.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
up!

Not that my opinion or experience matters much, but I'm smashing this list on FNM cause I'm having too much fun with my friends playing it. I'm having a lot of fun using Bountiful vs aggro matches. I generally drop 2 Forbidden and an Increasing Vengeance for 2 harvests and a fog if I see any sort of aggro. Though finding the right cards to pull in and out I find difficult at the moment.

My SB looks like this:

4 Fog
3 Dispel
3 Bountiful
4 Rolling
1 Rakdos Return

I'll post how it goes after FNM tomorrow.

This sideboard is probably better than the one I played at states - the 4th dispel and 5th+6th fogs never got sided in.

57023148 wrote:
I've been thinking about Alchemist's Refuge in the SB.  You can play Experiment and all your spells EOT.  It makes you marginally better against disruption as you can sculpt so they'll need two counters.
Show
I think i'll be adding some number of MD Izzet Charm.  The ability to dig, protect, and kill dorkers (and Thalia g2) is pretty important.
Show
Really nice work here, Caldera.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

So I am thinking of building this deck (just traded for my experiments), but Im concerned about hate. Specifically, the follwing cards:

thalia, guardian of thraben. This makes experiment much worse, and slows your deck down by at least a turn. If your on the draw and your opponent opens champion into thalia, I feel like the game is nearly over. 

deathrite shaman. If you cast experiment vs an active shaman, you risk him exiling your win-con and autolosing there and then. Not pleasant.

dryad militant: Makes casting experiment extremely risky, while beating down at the same time.

rest in peace: Enchantment, so not vulnerable to the same hate as the above cards. Ruins your experiments.

grafdigger's cage: kills experiments. Shuts down flashback. Shuts down the deck. Isnt a creature. Doesnt die to golgari charm.

purify the grave: Control lists sometimes side this, so its good to be aware.

duress/appetite for brains. Not really as scary as the above hate, but can still slow us down.

dissipate/syncopate. The exile clause is highly relevant here. 

Possible Answer cards: 
rolling temblor. solid anti-creature card that kills all the above hate cards, as well as annoyingly fast beaters such as GoST. Gives us a sliver of a chance vs aggro...

golgari charm. Kills thalia and the militant, as well as rest in peace and cards such as intangible virtue. 2cc is nice, but the list doesnt support black well.

abrupt decay. Takes care of all the permanent based hate, including the cage. Downside is the issues with colors, and it doesnt have the blowout potential that charm has.

runic repetition.  This is an interesting way to beat the hate that I actually like a lot. Rather than avoid getting devil's play exiled, you simply dont worry about it. It is also highly relevant that you can have infinite fog with this and mystic retrival, which actually sounds pretty powerful against decks like WG aggro or even WU aggro if they dont see it coming. 

pillar of flame. Kills thalia, shaman, and dryad for a low low cost. Also seems reasonable against rancored strangleroot geist. Can be difficult to have red on turn 1 though. 

izzet charm. Kills all the hate creatures, can help miracle masteries, and help fight the counterspell hate. The versatility seems quite powerful. It might also be possible to maindeck a copy. 

cards we already maindeck:
increasing vengeance: our current counter hate. I actually like 3 copies in the list, as we have few stronger plays than casting mastery with miracle and copying it in the early-mid game. Biggest issue is the manacost, but we can always add 1-2 more steam vents. 

devastation tide: Deals with the permanent based hate fairly well, while also a great answer to midrange. The problem is that the answer cards are all 1-2 mana and so it doesnt hurt for them to recast. In order to cast this and a large experiment, we have to hope we have already had time to cast boundless realms.

General purpose hate:
fog. Buys time vs aggro. Can loop it with runic+mystic

dispel. wins counter wars

rakdos's return There are matchups where having multiple win cons is extremely nice. The fact that this can be cast for x=4 or 5 just to take out someones hand seems pretty sick. I look forward to having the mana to cast this + devastation tide. 

bountiful harvest: Seems like powerful lifegain, and might be just what we need to beat aggro.

I feel like our midrange and control % are strong enough that its probably worth having a couple more maindeck cards vs aggro. It seems highly worthwhile to test the runic+mystic+fog lock. Also, the list of hate was off the top of my head and glancing through states lists, so it would be great to get a more complete list with your help.
runic repetition.  This is an interesting way to beat the hate that I actually like a lot. Rather than avoid getting devil's play exiled, you simply dont worry about it. It is also highly relevant that you can have infinite fog with this and mystic retrival, which actually sounds pretty powerful against decks like WG aggro or even WU aggro if they dont see it coming.

Holy crap this amazing, how did I not see that. I have to play at least one SB. 
57023148 wrote:
Sign In to post comments