Dandy half-orc

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, need some original ideas for a character concept I have. Toram is an old guy in his late fifties, minor nobility, possibly belonging to House Deneith if gets thrown into an Eberron campaign. Can't get it down in his head that he is old and keeps going out to do exciting stuff, mainly involving exciting duels and similar urbane adventure stuff.

As far as mechanics/whatever goes, I want a melee class that uses finesse and skill to fight with something like a rapier or a dueling cane(non-lethal version of a rapier).

Now, I was thinking about either a rogue(getting a rapier with feat) for a more... rogue-ish bent on the character or a fighter, probably Tempest for a Rapier & Off-hand combo.

P.S. Toram is a big, burly half-orc intellectual whose favorite pastime is reading a Jules Vernes-style novel or a game of chess/equivalent. He is also a bit of a fop and a dandy, dressing according to the latest fashions and always on the prowl for situations in which he can show off how different he is from other half-orcs in his education and interests.

So go ahead and let any interesting ideas for a class and other details. Ideas to improve upon the concept are also welcome.

Do you want to play as a striker or a defender? That's the main consideration for which class to choose.
 Non-rogue classes can easily pick up thievery and/or stealth through backgrounds or multiclass feats.

- Striker?
      Rogue or Thief, with rapier proficiency gained through the Gritty Sargeant background...

- Dual-weapon striker?
     Ranger or Scout...

- Defender?
    Weaponmaster fighter...

- Dual-weapon defender?
    Tempest fighter...

Both? Hybrid Tempest|Ranger, hybrid talent feat for tempest style.

If you go for Tempest in any form, just go with a pair of shortswords rather than a rapier - you'll end up doing just as much damage because of the tempest bonuses, effectively having a rapier in each hand. Call one of them a rapier in-game if you really want to.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I guess a STR/INT Warlord would fit the bill. Perhaps a Swordmage where the royalty feel entitled to the gift of swordmage trainning. I feel a striker doesn't work for your specific background.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I'll see about the warlord idea. Swordmage seems kinda off though, a little away from the image I have in mind... but thanks.

@Jack Erm... Why would I want stealth and/or thievery? Foppish gentlemen usually don't skulk around like cat burglars... which gives me a possible idea for a foppish gentleman that does! Thanks Jack!
I tend to use Maurader rangers as my swashbuckers, armed with rapier and dagger.

@Jack Erm... Why would I want stealth and/or thievery? Foppish gentlemen usually don't skulk around like cat burglars... which gives me a possible idea for a foppish gentleman that does! Thanks Jack!

Thievery covers sleight-of-hand and assorted prestidigitation/card tricks/ etc... If you're going to "magically" pull a rose out of thin air to hand to a lady, you either need to be able to conjure roses for real or steal them from a flower arrangement and hide them in your sleeve without getting caught.
 Stealth is useful for skipping out of a party unnoticed when you're the guest of honor or eavesdropping on people for the latest gossip.
 Other useful skills would be Athletics, Acrobatics or Bluff. Athletics is a class skill for fighters and Acrobatics and Bluff are class skills for rogues.

If you go with a fighter or hybrid, you probably won't have enough skill slots for stealth or thievery without picking them up through a multiclass feat or background, but a rogue gets stealth and thievery for free.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I would start off with Monk. I wouldn't think of it as it's normally portrayed, as some bald dude living off as a hermit in some wilderness -- instead, think "melee class that can wield whatever the hell it frickin wants to". That way, rapier is covered.

You can then build from there. Using a Dex/Cha monk, I would initially consider a Ardent hybrid, since your character seems quite charismatic, being a noble and all. (The Ardent's secondary would suffer a lot, but I wouldn't worry about it.) 

If I wanted to show his intellectual-ness, I would consider a Dex Monk hybriding into Wizard. This would have Dex and Int as your two primary scores, and so your FOB would suffer becuase of a weak tertiary. However, this combination is still good for showing "Heya! I'm smarter than you and can kick yo ass in a rapier-to-rapier fight right before I Fireball your face." (Prestidigation never hurts either.)

And if you really want to get wierd and add an extra punch of flavor? Play a Dex/Cha Monk hybriding into Warlock.

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

And if you really want to get wierd and add an extra punch of flavor? Play a Dex/Cha Monk hybriding into Warlock.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
lol  your animation made it easier to start this day with a smile
you know you could also just do an arena fighter, the build favors light armor, manuverability and you can start the game with a profeciency in both the rapier and the defensive dagger.
I'd like to throw out a vote for Taclord (Int based Warlord) here.  It just seems so... fitting for a foppish dandy.  Handing out buffs to allies with your quick witted remarks and calm collectedness and snappy suggestions, as well as getting under the enemy's skin (fluff those damage bonuses as smacking the enemy off-balance and leaving them vulnerable).  Speaking of fluff, go Rapier and refluff it as a dueling cane.  That's like +3 to Dandy right there.
Seriously, the typical swashbuckler or duelist must be a rogue! But it could easily be either a fighter or rogue tbh.

I can't believe nobody mentioned this, but personally, I'd probably go Bard! With MC in rogue, or perhaps fighter. But probably rogue.
Sign In to post comments