RtR Prerelease Results

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just so we can have all the talk on this in a devoted thread, y'know?

So, I chose Izzet and went 4-1, my only match loss was to a fellow running Selesnya.

I'm wondering how much  of my success was due to just having a really strong card pool. Three Annihilating Fires, three Runewings, Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius, Sphinx of the Chimes, plus a pair of Transguild Promenades and a Blood Crypt made splashing black for a few more removal cards really easy.

For that matter, how many were forced to play a third or even fourth color? Or the dreaded "five color pile"?

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I chose Selesnya and stuck with a W/G combo, I pulled 2 Loxodon Smiters, I managed to get one out in every game and ended up finishing 2-1-2, considering I've only been playing since July I don't think that's too bad
I chose Selesnya as well, and went 4-2. My in-color cards were mostly not that spectacular, though, but numerable. I ended up splashing two colors, black for much needed removal (and added the green-black Guildmage along), blue for my Azorius' Archon, which singlehandedly won me a match against a Golgari deck (both wins were due to him), added Azorius' Guildmage as well. The Guildgates were really helpful for the splashes and Seek the Horizon did a great job, too. Had two more wins against Rakdos players and my token production and low cost creatures were too much to be detained by my Azorius opponent. Lost a match against a fellow Selesnya player (who had a much stronger in-color pool, so not that much to grief about) and a match against Izzet, who had a really strong pool and good draws, while I had to mulligan both games, one down to 6, one even down to 5. Overall, I'm happy with my results and had a lot of fun.
Chose Azorius, went to sit down and opened my packs and saw that I pulled complete garbage, then got up and left.

Glad I didn't spend my time hating my decision of staying. Too nice a day to make a poor decision like that.  
Choose Izzet and managed 1-2 before dropping. My guild pack managed a junk rare (Conjured Currency) and my other 5 boosters turned up 3 B/G gold card rares.  No good common/uncommon support in black or green though, so I stuck with Izzet.  Lost first round to an Izzet player who pulled Niv-Mizzet, won second round against Azorius, lost third against Golgari (Jarad and Desecration Demon... ouch).  Still, was a ton of fun.
I got no removal in my packs in any color. Nor guildmages, nor charms. I did get a vraska and a steam vents, probably going to sell them before they go down.
I went Selesyna and splashed black for removal to (went 4-2).  Though getting an Overgrown Tomb and an Abrupt decay made that decision easy  I found Stab wound and Ultimate price very handy.  Much more removal than I had thought in this set.
I picked Selesnya and wound up splashing blue, mostly for Cyclonic Rift, which did win me one game. I wouldn't say I was forced to splash blue, but I did get 3 Azorius Guildgates in my pool, so I figured I might as well.

I went 3-1 for the night. Collective Blessing was the big winner for me. I won every time I got it out.
I went 4-2 and 4-1 with BR Rakdos (no splashes). The second decks removal for comparison with above posters were: 2x launch party, 2x annihilating fire, 1xauger spree, 1xstreet spasm.  These are all commons btw, except spasm which is uncommon. I also had 2 electrickeries as sideboard  cards. Combine this with 2-3cc heavy curve of aggressive creatures topping out at hellsteed and I think its pretty clear how Rakdos wins you boosters. 

Launch party is  a nice answer to stab wound :D (or arrest, or that grasp thingy)

My only  loss today  was to a bombheavy selesnya deck that splashed blue. (I scooped twice to angel of serenity)
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
I went 3-1-0 with my Selesnya deck, I got 2 bombs from Azorious Detention Sphere and their leader dude who detains 2 per attack.

Boy did the azorious dude get upset when I sphered his detaining enchantment.
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
I picked Selesnya, pulled absolutely rotten stuff with the notable exception of a Trostani and a Smiter. But seriously, HORRIBLE pulls. Not even one removal spell.

Still just barely missed out on the 4-1. Bosh.

I got a PTQ sealed coming up in a few weeks, any underrated gems anyone wanna share? If you're in Selesnya, the 3/3 that heals for 3 when he comes in is a bit of a boss, as is the 2/5 Giant guy that can give himself vigilance.
I want to be Cultured.
Probably not too surprising, but skymark roc is insane, as is deathrite shaman.
Went Izzet for 1- went 4-3 with a decent pool. Should have done better but I'm a little slow to get competitive- ended up with a decent RWU deck.

Played Azorius for 2- went 4-3 with a not as good pool, but I did open a Niv Mizzet! played RWU again.

Those were just the colors that had the tricks and the removal in my pools. 

3DH4LIF3

Played Golgari went 3-1-1 Although I would have went 4-1 if we didn't go to time. My sweet pulls included Lotleth Troll and Vraska the Unseen. I didn't have to but I splashed red for removal. Had two stab wound and decent Scavenge guys. I got to say the scavenge mechanic is great late game. Turning your small and medium creatures into giants is so good. And having a Corpsejack Menace out and then playing unleash creatures... beautiful.
Played Azorius and went 5-1 only lose to Rakdos, I got nothing too good, two Martial Laws were the best and a New Prahv Guildmage that give me good victories, the body was 3 Centaur Healers that attacket unopposed as all my opponents creatures were detainted.

Did any one notice how good Rakdos plays were? In my store there were 65 people in each of 2 prereleases and in both rakdos players won, and half the top 8  were Rakdos players too, even players that were new to the game or never achieve many victories in FNM. Rakdos guild was both strong and easy to play.

Any thoughts?
Guy in front of me picked the last Golgari (sadface), so I ended up choosing selesnya.  
Pulled no good removal, no keyrunes, no charms.  Ended up going pure GW.  

My rares were:
Rest in Peace
Growing Ranks
Counterflux
Hypersonic Dragon
Martial Law
Chromatic Lantern
And obviously the guild rare land.

No good bombs, save for that 8/8 vigilance GW creature for 7 mana, and two of the 5/5 reach/trample spiders.

I felt I made a decent deck with what I had though.   Couple Centaur Healer, a Call of the Conclave, Eyes in the Skies, the one drop that can be sacrificed for 3 mana to make a centaur token... a Slime Molding and a couple populate cards.

I wrecked an azorious deck and a golgari scavenge deck, but predictably lost to both rakdos decks I played against.  Rakdos I think was seriously underrated before people played in the event, and then they quickly learned better.  Unleash, while being a horrid mechanic for Standard, is the nuts in sealed.  Also running into a Desecration Demon was pretty bad luck, as was the guy who splashed green for Jarad.

Ended my event 2-2 with both losses to Rakdos :/
So, I chose Izzet and went 4-1, my only match loss was to a fellow running Selesnya.

I beat that fellow. And won the whole thing. HOW DOES IT FEEL?!?!?
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
3-3-0 playing Azorius. That awkward feeling when I was the only person in the store that didn't pull multiple mythics or any money cards (a friend got a foil Vraska.) I'm not upset either, my sealed pool blew, but Supreme Verdict, 2 Loxodon Smiters and a Desecration Demon made it fun I suppose. I also learned that Chemister's Trick is a much better card that it looks like.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Went 3-2 with a straight Golgari build. It was pretty good. I got 2 dreg manglers. Those guys are awesome. I won a game on turn 5 with those guys.

So much land screw though T_T.

Rares were: grave betrayl, corpsejack menace, abrupt decay, pack rat (awesome card), guild feud (worst rare in the set?) counterflux and deadbridge goliath. Pretty janky though. Abrupt Decay was really nice though.

Went Izzet, lost all four matches which sucks too; got some decent creatures (two Goblin Electromancer , two Izzet Guildgate , Blistercoil Weird , two Tenement Crasher , Cryptborn Horror , and Rakdos Cackler ) but absolutely no Instant/Sorcery support; my best removal spells were three Electrickery and a Chemister's Trick . Oh well, at least I had fun!
Thank you Blitzschnell for the awesome banner!
3-1 Azorius, 3-1 Selesnya
My Azorius regular packs were very good for Selesnya, so that flight I was even three color GWU.
Second flight I lost round 1 to the best player in the room, and round 4 we went to time and got scooped to because I had the better board position after turn 5. You know, so at least one of us gets prize. I would have done the same if I was clearly losing, but three Grove of the Guardian tokens is some pretty good board position.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Selesnya went 5-0 for me. Everyone else hadn't pulled much good, but I had the guild leader and (from the normal packs) two Armada Worm.
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
Went with Golgari. This was the second time I've played, I played FNM the week before with a pre-constructed m13 deck (went 0-4). Today was the first time I've ever had to build a deck on the fly out of booster packs. I have to admit I really liked it. I liked how everyone was pretty much on the same level (card wise). We played 4 games (best of three per pair, x 4 different people depending on standings, if it differs elsewhere). I went 2-2, 19th place overall ( 4 wins, 5 losses). First time I've ever won a game, ever. Nevertheless, I'm pretty proud of my performance and Galgari really came through for me. I really need more removal type spells, I felt that I was lacking that quite a bit. Two matches in a row Launch Party won me the game.

The deck I built was as follows:

8 Forest
8 Swamp
1 Golgari Guildgate
2 Trestle Troll
2 Stab Wound
1 Aerial Predation
3 Korozda Monitor
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Corpsejack Menace
2 Sluiceway Scorpion
1 Daggerdrome Imp
1 Giant Growth
1 Ultimate Price
1 Launch Party
1 Gatecreeper Vine
1 Dreg Mangler
1 Axebane guardian
1 Cremate
1 Drudge Beetle
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Golgari Keyrune

I'd really like to use this as a starting point for my Standard deck. Suggestions?

Just so we can have all the talk on this in a devoted thread, y'know?

I'm wondering how much  of my success was due to just having a really strong card pool. Three Annihilating Fires, three Runewings, Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius, Sphinx of the Chimes, plus a pair of Transguild Promenades and a Blood Crypt made splashing black for a few more removal cards really easy.

For that matter, how many were forced to play a third or even fourth color? Or the dreaded "five color pile"?

Heh, nice, only a few people played Izzet at my release, but none of them did good, so congrats.

I went 2-2, lost to a fellow Golgari player and a Azorius player who was just a jerk, kept rushing me the whole game. 
Selesnya went 5-0 for me. Everyone else hadn't pulled much good, but I had the guild leader and (from the normal packs) two Armada Worm.

That's some pretty wicked luck on those Armada Wurms
I went 2-2 as Izzet. The real winner in that deck was the foil Cryptborn Horror I pulled. Suprise, suprise; a rakdos card. I opened far too many packs that day to know all of the rares in the sealed pack, but I pulled Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius from the guild booster. Was super excited, but he never hit the field. One of the rakdos players actually countered him with Syncopate. Needless to say I was impressed.
Chose Selesnya and went 2-3. Got horrible pulls (some good cards like lotleth troll and ash zealot but I wasn't running red at all and did not get enough to justify splashing black). Pretty much the best cards I had in by deck were the promo and collective blessing. I pulled 0 of the 2 drop 3/3 centaur tokens, no phantom generals, 1 rootborn defense, none of the 8 drop elementals, etc.

My pulls were Lotleth Troll, Ash Zealot, Wild Beast Tamer (Selesnya pack), Underworld Connections, Collective Blessing, Pithing Needle.

Post-tournament I won a random door prize (Selesnya Intropack). I almost traded it to someone else for the Rakdos intro pack and I'm REALLY glad I didn't because from the two intro pack boosters inside, I pulled Blood crypt and Vraska the Unseen.

I beat that fellow. And won the whole thing. HOW DOES IT FEEL?!?!?

Hey, I'm not going to poop on you for doing well. In fact, I'm not going to poop on you at all. Even if I did swing that way, I'm not into that fetish.

EDIT: Ok, I will give you crap for wearing women's clothing, but that's where I draw the line.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Played in 4 regular Sealed, 1 2 Headed Giant Sealed.

Golgari 4-0
Azorious 4-0
Selesnya 3-1 (with a terrible pool, no token makers, infinite populate...)
Azorious 3-1 (lost the last match to mana screw and mana flood)
Azorious/Golgari 4-0

Pulled only two mythics in my pools all day (Isperia and Jarad in the second Azorious), but walked out with 33 packs of RTR, 12 Innistrad and 3 DKA.  Not too shabby, considering the prize packs had 9 mythics, including a foil Jace, Architect of Thought and a foil Dragon.  Also got all 4 Lotleth Trolls, Overgrown Tombs and some other cards I need for a tournament next weekend.
Went to two preleases, and wen 3-2 Selensya in each. Came out of it with some good trades, includign 3 Groves, 4 Wayfaring Temples, a Smiter, and most of the common/uncommon staples to get a deck running. Played every agianst guild except Izzet(which was a suprise), and really only lost to Selensya and Rakdos when I couldn't get my engine running fast enough. The most interesting thing I found in it was hearing as we were going into round 4 of the second Sealed that Selensya was 3 of the Top 4.

Edit: To answer the question about. First tournament I ran purley guild as I ended up with enough tokens. The second tournament I splashed black (Koz Guildmage, Launch Party, Crocs) as while I had pop tricks, I had very little in the way of actual tokens, and ended up really building a stompy deck.
object width="300" height="100" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">
My ranking of the guilds by my own rank was Azorius, Izzet, Golgari, Selesnya, Rakdos. Not really much else to talk about. It was

| | : prerelease, put cards in car, lock car : | |

over two days.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
EDIT: Ok, I will give you crap for wearing women's clothing, but that's where I draw the line.

That is a great coat. Don't be hatin'...
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
I went Golgari and had quite a good pool; I was able to go strictly . I did sideboard in red in one game in order to put more removal into my deck (I pulled three [C]Augur Spree[/C]) but didn't draw a single one of them and lost anyway.

Our tournament went for six rounds and my match record was as follows:
Round 1: 2-0 vs. Selesnya
Round 2: 2-0 vs. Golgari 
Round 3: 0-2 vs. Azorius
Round 4: 2-1 vs. Selesnya
Round 5: I got a bye due to my opponent having to leave early.
Round 6: 1-2 vs. Selesnya

The last match was intense. I went into it 3rd place in the standings. By the third game, there was quite a crowd gathered around the table spectating. If I had won, I would have had to play the Azorius I fought in round 3 in a tiebreaker for first, but losing dropped me to sixth place. But hey, I still placed and took home six packs, so I can't complain. I had a blast in all my games.

My all-star cards of the day were two copies each of [C]Daggerdrome Imp[/C] and [C]Stab Wound[/C]. The Imp plays really really well with the scavenge mechanic, especially after I learned to watch out for [C]Selesnya Charm[/C] and not load them up with too many counters. Stab Wound was great against Selesnya's centaur tokens.

Another nice little card for me was [C]Axebane Guardian[/C]; I had two of them and a [C]Trestle Troll[/C], so they often gave me a nice mana boost along with the [C]Mana Bloom[/C] I pulled. That troll and his regenerative powers kept me alive several times while Stab Wound did its job...

4-2 Golgari, losing to an Azorius/Izzet and another Golgari.
2-2 Selesnya with a blue splash, losing to another Selesnya and Golgari.

Stomped both Rakdos players I encountered.
I played a Saturday Midnight release, went with Izzet, ran straight up red blue, and ended up finishing 6th out of 33. Went 2-0 vs. Azorius, 2-0 vs. Golgari, 1-2 against Raakdos (which ultimately took 1st place) and 2-1 against Rakdos

Cards that did the Heavy Lifting for me
Mizzium Mortars - This one is pretty self explanatory
Essence Backlash - Not the most powerful by itself, but I got two of them in my pool and they worked well with Guttersnipe, Goblin Electromancer and Hypersonic Dragon
Izzet Staticaster was also really helpful, I had two of them and they seemded to like to hang out together.  Very helpful with the crowd control.
Skyline Predator was the last really useful card for me, I'd frequently flash it in right before going to combat, caused a lot of players to rethink and have second thoughts.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I only got in 1 prerelease. After some analysis I decided to go Rakdos. I got fairly phenomenal removal: 2x Dreadbore, 2x Auger Spree, Annihilating Fire, Launch Party, and some others. Auger Spree took down Loxodon Smiter as soon as it hit the board, as well as some other bombs. Then I used it on an unleashed Thrill-Kill Assassin to lessen the board threat. Opponent responded by tapping his last land for Giant Growth. Ouch. He took that game fast, but I had very nice draws for the next games and managed 2-1 that round.

Also pulled a Rakdos, Lord of Riots. Won me every game that he hit the board in. 

Ended up 3-2 out of 5 rounds. Selesnya threatened to put me at a worse record, as pretty much every match involved my opponent dropping Grove of the Guardian. The tempo advantage from populate and that cheap 8/8 is nuts.

Last match was mirror match. I took first game fairly fast with 3 unleashed creatures by turn 3. Turns out he pulled Vraska, the Unseen and a Rakdos. Dreadbored the Rakdos right away, and managed a Vraska kill with the hasty lifelinker. He took the next two games by a narrow margin, ending up 4-1. Some Azorius guy went 5-0.

Got only 3 RTR boosters as prize, but managed to pull $26 dollars out of them some of my rares from the event (as well as a Worldspine Wurm which I didn't sell). Breaking even is always nice.

Altogether I feel that Rakdos, Azorius, and Selesnya are the strongest, although Golgari and Izzet can certainly win games. Nice to see how balanced the guilds are for limited.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
I played Izzet and basically got no bombs except for Desecration Demon.  I splashed black so I could play that (ok, so I had to play more swamps than just a splash), and Ultimate Price.  I did have a decent number of flyers but overall I went 2-3.  The most amusing part of the day was that there were three kids (maybe between 9 - 12 or so), and I played all three in a row.  The two matches I won were against two of them. :P

Nice luck pulling three on-color mythics that combo together. Tongue Out
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
I played twice, Izzet both times.  Once at Friday midnight and once Saturday afternoon.

Midnight event saw me running a FULLY FUNCTIONAL 4-color WURG deck.  1 Izzet Guildgate, 1 selesnya guildgate, 1 steam vents, 1 Izzet Keyrune, 1 Selesnya Keyrune, and 3 Transguild Promenades (one of them shiny) ensured that I pretty much never had any color issues.  Had a friggin blast, it was sooooo much fun to play: went 2-1.

The afternoon event I ended up with a powerful Grixis build that managed to eke out wins against some very powerful opponents.  4-0 folks.  Double Hypersonic Dragon, Chaos Imps, Dreadbore, Blustersquall, Teleportal.

Good stuff.  I'll post the decklists later (if I remember).  Oh yeah, and one more thing that will probably shock most of you hard core limited folks out there.  Midnight deck was 47 cards, afternoon deck was 46.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I played twice, Izzet both times.  Once at Friday midnight and once Saturday afternoon.

Midnight event saw me running a FULLY FUNCTIONAL 4-color WURG deck.  1 Izzet Guildgate, 1 selesnya guildgate, 1 steam vents, 1 Izzet Keyrune, 1 Selesnya Keyrune, and 3 Transguild Promenades (one of them shiny) ensured that I pretty much never had any color issues.  Had a friggin blast, it was sooooo much fun to play: went 2-1.

The afternoon event I ended up with a powerful Grixis build that managed to eke out wins against some very powerful opponents.  4-0 folks.  Double Hypersonic Dragon, Chaos Imps, Dreadbore, Blustersquall, Teleportal.

Good stuff.  I'll post the decklists later (if I remember).  Oh yeah, and one more thing that will probably shock most of you hard core limited folks out there.  Midnight deck was 47 cards, afternoon deck was 46.

I ran my deck a little large and land heavy as well, worked out ok.  This set likes it high cost activated abilities
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

I ran my deck a little large and land heavy as well, worked out ok.  This set likes it high cost activated abilities

That's cool to know I'm not the only one who did that.  Granted my midnight deck being oversized was more actually me not having a frigging clue as to what direction I should take my deck than anything else.  I had lots of color fixing, but no solid plan so I just winged it with the best cards I could pull from each color and it worked out quite nicely.

Midnight WURG deck

Creatures 19

Non-Creatures 8
[deck]
1x Blustersquall
1x Izzet Charm
1x Common Bond
1x Annihilating Fire
1x Seek the Horizon
2x Inspiration
1x Explosive Impact
[/deck]

Lands 20
[deck]
1x Rogue's Passage
3x Transguild Promenade
1x Selesnya Guildgate
1x Izzet Guildgate
1x Steam Vents
3x Mountain
3x Forest
4x Plains
3x Island
[/deck]

I also had a Rakdos Guildgate and a Golgari Guildgate and a Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord in this pool, but my mana base was already stretched, Jarad would be very VERY difficult to cast even with the guildgates and promenades, and I just frankly ran out of time during deck building trying to figure out if/how I could run black.  This current deck as it stands now often had to wait a while to stabilize, but whenever I stabilized, noone ever came back to stop me.  The only deck that beat me was a Rakdos unleash deck that got a nuts draw the first game and I forget what happened in the second game, but he probably just out tempoed me and killed me before i could stabilize.

Afternoon Grixis deck

Creatures 17
[deck]
1x Deathrite Shaman
1x Daggerdrome Imp
1x Rix Maadi Guildmage
1x Dead Reveler
1x Splatter Thug
1x Vassal Soul
1x Lobber Crew
1x Izzet Staticaster
1x Hover Barrier
1x Runewing
1x Goblin Rally
1x Spawn of Rix Maadi
2x Hypersonic Dragon
1x Chaos Imps
1x Skyline Predator
1x Isperia's Skywatch
[/deck]

Non-Creatures (9)
[deck]
1x Blustersquall
1x Syncopate
1x Teleportal
1x Ultimate Price
1x Dreadbore
1x Mizzium Mortars
2x Annihilating Fire
1x Inspiration
[/deck]

Lands 20
[deck]
1x Izzet Guildgate
8x mountain
6x Island
5x Swamp
[/deck]

This deck I had enough direction and time to make so being oversized here was me saying: "hey, it worked last night and I don't feel like cutting anything else."  My mana base is much shakier this time around, and there was absolutely no way I was going 4 color again though, but I obviously did something right since I managed 4-0.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.