Monster Traits (undead) - ?!?

Am I missing something?  Can the wight be put to sleep?  Are zombies not vulnerable to radiant/holy damage?  Is there no Undead type or keyword?  I didn't deal with undead during the first go round.
Ah, okay.  Thank you very much for responding.  I hadn't really paid much attention to the monster specifics until the wizard only had sleep left to cast against a wight.  I was taken aback at first, but if it's just an incomplete area of the game then it's not really a big deal.
Unliving: this creature is not subject to sneak attack and critical damage 

Oh please no, not this again. How does not being alive stop something from being hit/targeted in a weak-spot? This was terrible in 3E, and it's still terrible today.
EVERY DAY IS HORRIBLE POST DAY ON THE D&D FORUMS. Everything makes me ANGRY (ESPECIALLY you, reader)

Oh please no, not this again. How does not being alive stop something from being hit/targeted in a weak-spot? This was terrible in 3E, and it's still terrible today.

I think the idea is that something that is not alive doesn't nessecarily have exploitable weak-spots. Decomposing corpses and skeletons don't care if you a hamstring them, rip off their arm, stab them in the guts, chest, what have you. I'd even say that if we are going with things animated by black magics popping of their heads might not do much to stop them. This does lead to some problems, such as being able to punch a zombie to death, but that is the concept behind it and makes a general sort of sense.

I would agree however, that if you can damage it it should be vulnerable enough that you can damage it more with a well-placed shot. Maybe instead of a dagger through the ribs you get to pull off a large section of their back... being decomposed and all that.

also known as the reason to just not have your rogue player show up that week, because he can only hinder the party when you fight undead....
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
also known as the reason to just not have your rogue player show up that week, because he can only hinder the party when you fight undead....

Haven't you heard?  Sneak Attack is "not the defining Rogue class ability."

To me, it's the only defining Rogue class ability.

My fear is that Undea will be loaded with traits.

Ghoul

Mindless: The ghoul cannot be charmed
Fearless: The ghoul cannot be frightened
Soulless: The ghoul is immune to necrotic damage
Deathless: The ghoul cannot be affected by death attacks
Resilient: The ghoul is immune to poison damage
Sleepless: The ghoul cannot be put to sleep or knocked unconscious
etc etc

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

My fear is that Undea will be loaded with traits.

Ghoul

Mindless: The ghoul cannot be charmed
Fearless: The ghoul cannot be frightened
Soulless: The ghoul is immune to necrotic damage
Deathless: The ghoul cannot be affected by death attacks
Resilient: The ghoul is immune to poison damage
Sleepless: The ghoul cannot be put to sleep or knocked unconscious
etc etc

immunity to anything should be rare, that was one problem that 3e had, there are more eligent ways to make undead feel like undead
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
Sign In to post comments