Ocean Cleric

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I want to make an Ocean themed Cleric for my next 3.5 campaign. The problem is; I am only allowed to use the Player's Handbook 1. So I don't have access to StormWrack or any other source book.

So what I was thinking was making a Human Cleric of Obad-Hai with either Water/Travel or Water/Animal domains.

I am thinking of equipping him with a Trident,a Large Shield, a net (maybe a bit too gladiatorial?), and he wears Scale Mail. Alternative; Scale Mail and a Ranseur and specialize in disarming?

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
My only suggestion to your outlines is that metal armor like that (though thematically, scales goes with fish) was rarely ever worn on ship-board.  Leather armor at most, due to the chance of being thrown over-board during a storm, or just diving in to retrieve somebody/something else.  Even the conquistadors stowed and stored their breastplates and helms during voyages, donning them only when ashore.

Of course, this is a fantasy world.  So once you have some spell to keep you from sinking like a rock and drowning immediately, that becomes a moot point.
Instead of worshipping a deity, you could also just worship the concept of ocean (water & air are what I would use).
To add to what Neue said: remember that the skill check penalty for armor is doubled for swim checks. And it should be mentioned that Swim isn't a class skill for clerics, even the ones who have the water domain. That means that your maxed level 1 Swim skill check (with the equipment you mentioned is Str mod -10. Skip the shield (or use a smaller one) and stick with nothing heavier than studded leather.
You may also want to consider playing a Druid instead; they have Swim as a class skill.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
There are certainly a number of Clerical Domains that would work with an Ocean going campaign but I'd definitely be looking for options because of how poorly armor works at sea.

In all honesty, I'd also look very strongly at Druid (especially in core only) for a seafairing campaign.
Perhaps a Sai, and call it a hand trident.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.