Pros and Cons of Individual Planes

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
I figured I'd start this to get some healthy discussion on which planes we might see revisits to, ala Dominaria (Time Spiral), Mirrodin (Scars of Mirrodin), and Ravnica (RtR).  With how popular this has been, we'll definitely see another (the question is when), but I'd like to take a brief moment to go over each plane we've visited, and its chances of revisit.

Dominaria - The nexus of the multiverse, Dominaria contains many of the most important planeswalkers, and has been the focus of more blocks and sets than any other plane.  The odds we won't see Dominaria again seem quite slim, and in fact, with the 20 year anniversary coming up, it could very well be the next block.

Rabiah the Infinite - I'm a bit biased, because I love this plane, but I don't think Wizards has quite forgotten about it.  I think the Desert subtype offers a lot of options for new lands, the creature types we saw in Arabian Nights are pretty interesting and most haven't been explored much yet.  Ogres, which were in Green and Black, have lots of room, and it's always nice to see a tribe in enemy colors.  Djinns and Efreets were in every color except white, and there's lots of room for new mythics in-flavor.  We only just saw heavy Devil tribal recently, but it was all in red; Rabiah's devil is black, and at that, highly playable, even now!  We could even see Nailah return as a planeswalker.  Not guarantee we'll come back, but it'd probably be my favorite block of all time if we did.

Ulgrotha - This would definitely be met with a lot of initial skepticism, but once cards start getting previewed, people would know that it won't be the same as last time, and we'd finally see Homelands done right (and Minotaur tribal, hurray!).

Rath - Doesn't exist anymore.  So...

Mercadia - Just a plateau, but certainly open to design space.  I'd like to see it done, but as with Rabiah and Ulgrotha, there's no guarantee.

Shandalar - The rogue plane, not because it's home to rogues, but because the plane itself wanders the multiverse instead of being in a fixed position.  Lots of room here, and we've seen an increasing amount of support for the plane.

Mirrodin - We just had it, and we won't see it again for a while.  I'd love to see Myrs again, and Mirrodin free of Phyrexians, but it won't be anytime soon, I suspect.

Kamigawa - This block left a bad taste in peoples' mouths, akin to Homelands, but based on discussions in this forum, it seems people want to see the setting back, just not the poor design of the sets.

Ravnica - Similar to Mirrodin, except the return hasn't even been released yet. lololo

Lorwyn/Shadowmoor - I suppose it's possible, but I suspect doing it in a three set format would feel stale and lackluster, so they'd have to do something special again.  I personally didn't like most of the tribals involved (faeries, kithkin), but there are enough I enjoyed that I'd be fine with it (treefolk, B goblins).

Alara - Still feels a bit too recent for my preferences, but with Alara one plane again, and the hints that Planechase 2012 gave about the mechanics of the wedges integrating, it could be a really fun set.

Zendikar - I don't think we'll see this until 2018 or later.

Innistrad - Is still in standard, lulz.

Anyway, opinions? 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I'm not really sure which one they'll revisit next (obviously we know it's not going to be Ravnica, Innistrad or even Mirrodin since those are all pretty recent). I do think they're more likely to continue alternating between creating new worlds and revisiting old worlds.

Theoretically they could revisit Rath and do a "prequal", however unlikely that may seem.

Personally I would enjoy revisiting any of those worlds. With the way they do storytelling now and their creative teams I'm sure that the setting would be perfect no matter which world they decided to take on.
Don't be too smart to have fun

The next few blocks are already defined, and they considered Scars a way to 'test the waters' about returning to a plane, with RTR being an assumed risk without knowing the fan reaction to Scars.

So I think the next two or three blocks are set on new planes. No return to anywhere until 2015 or 2016 IMO.

I expected this to be discussing these never-visited planes we know from Planechase and other sources.

Shandalar has very high chances to be visited - it did show up in multiple M13 cards (the rings for starters)

Iquatana, Ir, Muraganda, Belenon, Mongseng and Valla all look interesting.

[<o>]
Dominaria contains many of the most important planeswalkers,

Actually, most dominarian PW are dead. 

Karn, Parcher, Worzel, Thomil, Jared Carthalion, Jaya Ballard, Ravidel, and Fiers are all still alive, not to mention any modern planeswalkers who happen to be from Dominaria could count.  If we're just talking prerevisionist 'walkers then Fatima and Shadruu count, as well as Ravi Sengir.  I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.  Yes, lots of the important and cool ones are dead, like Urza, Windgrace, Bo Levar, Taysir, Leshrac, Kristina of the Woods, and others, but "most" aren't dead, and there's a lot to work with still.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I thought Jaya was dead, that's why we are stuck with Chandra
proud member of the 2011 community team

Karn, Parcher, Worzel, Thomil, Jared Carthalion, Jaya Ballard, Ravidel, and Fiers are all still alive, not to mention any modern planeswalkers who happen to be from Dominaria could count.  If we're just talking prerevisionist 'walkers then Fatima and Shadruu count, as well as Ravi Sengir.  I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.  Yes, lots of the important and cool ones are dead, like Urza, Windgrace, Bo Levar, Taysir, Leshrac, Kristina of the Woods, and others, but "most" aren't dead, and there's a lot to work with still.

Unfortunately, those are the more obscure ones that won't help sell the set.
Jaya, Jared, and Ravidel aren't obscure, to my awareness.  And Parcher is obscure enough to seem new to most people, but still trigger a vague memory of the planeswalker more insane than Tevesh Szat, by Urza's reckoning.  And what will sell the set is a return to Dominaria.  It isn't necessary to revive dead planeswalkers, though they could bring back a familiar face or two if they wanted.  Maybe Windgrace, since he bound his soul to the land before he was erased from existence.  Maybe he finds a new body.  Taysir had multiple lives, iirc, and only died twice, so he could be back.  And Shadruu would be loved by all anyway, because everybody loves a Minotaur Planeswalker.  
IDK for me I started in mirage, and stopped around the end of the Urza saga. So it'll be a great Nostalgia for me if they went back to the Domineria plane.(Maybe the Phryxians invaded it!! WOULD BE AWESOME)

The question is worthier or not they can make a set as good as the Weatherlight set was!! I mean Tempest was a bad ass set!

but IDK, maybe it'll be better if they didn't do that, as by that time we'll still be in the middle of RtR set. I would rather see a new plane, then a return to just because it's 20 years...I'm sure if they have anything planned for the 20 year anniversary it'll be a stand alone deal.
Honestly, they could just redo the entire Weatherlight saga, and everybody would love it.  I think WotC could benefit from some true nostalgia, not this early 2000s nostalgia they've been banking on.  Weatherlight had amazing story, introduced some incredible characters, and has so much room left to develop.  
After RTR i would personally preffer to see a new plane visited. Eventually, I would like to see a Return to Innistrad, because I loved the gothic theme's and how simmialr it was to 18th- 19th Century Earth. But not to early as it just ended, maybe down the road in like 2016 or something.

Anyway's I was not playing at the time, but I would love to see a return to Alara. The story seems so interesting to me. I could see it as post-Conflux world, each of the different worlds vie for power in the new Alara. Would be cool to have 3 - Colored decks introduced again. 
We don't know a lot of the oldwalker's fates, and most of them are obscure enough to the playerbase (the majority of which never read the books) that they would have no reason to bring them back. Plus, without their godliness, a lot of them might have died from old age after the mending happened.
Sadly I don't think they will ever re-do a story as the creative team will have nothing to do.  Though they can probably do some prequils.

There are 3 I think that are at the top of the list for when they do their next return.  Dominaria, since they spent so much time there for so long.  Zendikar, since its story is now coming over to Ravnica and people will be curious to find out if it gets saved and how.  Then Kamigawa just because its an interesting and different setting from the rest.  It also had some really nice art.  Then there are some cards that were good.  Probably need to make new mechanics for it.  Though ninjitsu was good.  Also they have hinted at Kamigawa a couple times recently with Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and also the planechase precon. 

I really think Kamigawa return would sell well if they made better mechanics.  I know players dog on the set but that is probably more so the mechanics and it seems to be growing with popularity.
I actually liked Kamigawa.

Back when I didn't know how to play well...

But it was still fun at the lunchtables. 
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Yeah Kamigawa was a weird mix of some awful narrow mechanics on the one side and some quite broken stuff on the other.
Maybe it was a slightly letdown power- and designwise, but Mirrodin set a unfair high standart imho...
Personally I loved it for its incredible flavor and stunning artworks. It's still my favorite block of all time. =P

It's not hard to think about cards of this block that still see plenty of play nowadays though, which is why the popolarity of this block is growing "postmortem" I think.
Like Top, Jitte, Erayo, Gifts, Glimpse, Needle, Ghostly Prison, Isamaru, Kira, Azusa, Tribe-Elder, Kiki-Jiki, Kataki, Sakashima, spirit dragons, Orchard, Blazing Shoal, Orb of Dreams, Final Judgment, Freed from the Real and many many more.
I think it had more staples than most blocks after and many before it. ^^"

So yes I'd love a return to Kamigawa, but I'm horrible biased and I think I would buy every single card of this block - just because I can.
Tamiyo was likely a test to see if people's distaste for Kamigawa has been tempered with time.

If you want to return to Kamigawa you need to be vocal about it!
Tell Wizards employees on twitter how much you want to see Ninja Rats fighting Fox Samurai again.  
Tamiyo was likely a test to see if people's distaste for Kamigawa has been tempered with time.

If you want to return to Kamigawa you need to be vocal about it!
Tell Wizards employees on twitter how much you want to see Ninja Rats fighting Fox Samurai again.  

Here's the thing though, aside from Ninjitsu, Kamigawa mechanics were questionable to say the least..  The flavor was flawless though.  If they could return to the plane with good mechanics and cards, then I'm all for it.  However, I'd like to see them have the balls to do the same with Ulgrotha first.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Here's another thing, other than the samurai and ninjas, most of the flavor was similarly hated.

The small part of Magic's playerbase that is intimately familiar with Japanese flavor loved Kamigawa, everyone else was like "Oh god, what is happening D:"

The flavor was very insular and esoteric. If you got it, everything made sense and was rich and deep and layered.
If you didn't "get it", the flavor was weird and confusing and you wondered why there were floating fish throwing up on everything and why rabbits were on the moon and why the goblins were turtles and what the hell is a Kirin, etc.

Since then they've learned that when it comes to capturing familiar flavor, they need to do just that, what is familiar. Innistrad was very familiar to most players even if they weren't horror flick bluffs.     

Here's another thing, other than the samurai and ninjas, most of the flavor was similarly hated.

The small part of Magic's playerbase that is intimately familiar with Japanese flavor loved Kamigawa, everyone else was like "Oh god, what is happening D:"

The flavor was very insular and esoteric. If you got it, everything made sense and was rich and deep and layered.
If you didn't "get it", the flavor was weird and confusing and you wondered why there were floating fish throwing up on everything and why rabbits were on the moon and why the goblins were turtles and what the hell is a Kirin, etc.

Since then they've learned that when it comes to capturing familiar flavor, they need to do just that, what is familiar. Innistrad was very familiar to most players even if they weren't horror flick bluffs.     

The problem eventually arises that much lore will be used quickly. They do need to hit more obscure tones every once in a while to draw in different kinds of people.

Innistrad is an example of this in a way. Yes it was very traditional horor, but not everyone knows much about it. It did bring in a different fan base to the game though.

Maro's last article shows this a bit. If you replace Nostalgia and Innovation, with well known and obscure, it shows that people do enjoy what they know, but it creates a stale atmosphere around the game. If you mix in more obsure mytholgy, it creats a more diverse universe. This is what much of magic has been trying to do since they moved away from being domineria focused. They are showcasing that their universe is large and diverse, and everyone can find a plane they enjoy.

That being said I still want a Greek themed block soon.
I seem to recall someone asking about a Graeco-Roman world and that it's on his to-do list.
I'd personally love a grim, WW1-like world or a H.R. Giger inspired world.

The first could nicely divide down into a similar Guild structure, with clear factions (while also doubling as Guild support and Lorwynn faction support).  White/Red being Warmongering soldiers, White/Black the spirits of people who died in the worldwide trench warfare, Green/Black the dead and other vermin on the battlefield etc etc.  The second could have a really Otherworldly feel just like that giger-inspired land in Time Spiral.

Generally, I'd be ok with any new world as long as its not a return to pure Fantasy.  Less Dominarias, more Zendikar/Alara/Innistrad/Ravnica.
IMAGE(http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p268/TsengFox/20804.jpg)
I like to see Kamigawa again and this would be thousands of years later if they stick with the current moment in time. Enough for the team to make big changes to the plane. A new species or new spirits.
Boar Samurai would make me a happeh piggeh.

Mechanics I liked in old Kamigawa were Splice (onto Arcane), Soulshift, and Bushido. I didn't say they did them well though.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Valla could be the intended Greek plane. I strongly suspect that we'll see the next couple of new planes named after Planechase/Planechase 2012 planes. I think it was Belenon that had a card in each (making it more represented than Mercadia, Rabiah, Ulgrotha, or Mongseng, much to my irritation)?
I thought Jaya was dead, that's why we are stuck with Chandra

She sort of is, but her death scene consisted of a guy who might have been an impostor saying "BTW Jaya's dead. Hope you're not one of those silly people who gets emotionally invested in things."

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
There was a some things Kamigawa got wrong.

First off the novel mentioned there was Samurai Moonfolk. Lame that there wasn't any.

Kamigawa needs to do more multi-color cards.
Valla could be the intended Greek plane. I strongly suspect that we'll see the next couple of new planes named after Planechase/Planechase 2012 planes. I think it was Belenon that had a card in each (making it more represented than Mercadia, Rabiah, Ulgrotha, or Mongseng, much to my irritation)?

Isn't Valla more like German or Norse?
IMAGE(http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p268/TsengFox/20804.jpg)

Isn't Valla more like German or Norse?

I also expect Valla being either Germanic/Norse seeing as Immersturm translates to "Always Storm" in German(very rough translation on my part as i dont speak german so i had to translate online) which fits with the flavor of Immersturm being an eternal storm.

It wouldnt be too much of a stretch that the name Valla is inspired by Valhalla from Norse mythology.

And then theres the warriors from Warstorm Surge who looks very viking-ish.
I would love to see Valla as the next plane. A whole Norse block would be cool, it would allow alot of Krakens, so you could introduce Kiora Atua as a important planeswalker. It would be interesting to a Viking clan and intro deck. Also, I could see Dragons playing a part in an eternal storm, so a Dragon intro deck, and maybe an apperance from Nicol Bolas and Sarkan would be cool and would make sense.
Ideas for Valla Planeswalkers:

1st Set: (Large)

Kiora Atua (U/G): Set to bring the creatures of the deep to rise against the realm of man who has tormented them for so long.

Liliana Vess (B): Corrupts the Viking with stories of lust and gold, drives them to a war against the elves, and other races of the lands.

2nd Set: (Small):

Sarhan Vol (B/R/G): A so called prophet to man, tells of the coming of a great dragon to help them in the war

3rd Set: (Large)

Nissa Revane (G): Leads the elves in revolt against man.

Nicol Bolas (U/B/R): Coming of the great dragon, uses the vikings to create a huge planeswide war, uses the eternal storm to gain great power.

Just ideas guys. Dont be too harsh. 
Ideas for Valla Planeswalkers:

1st Set: (Large)

Kiora Atua (U/G): Set to bring the creatures of the deep to rise against the realm of man who has tormented them for so long.

Release. The. Kraken!

Just ideas guys. Dont be too harsh.

Overall, not bad. But nowadays blocks have one or two new planeswalkers. So I'd cut Liliana (she should go ) and maybe Nissa, then create a couple original characters.

[<o>]
Yeah Lilliana was just kind of a throw in, I woud want to see a original more, just didnt feel like creating one.
Ravnica and Alara are my two favorite planes because I just love seeing all the cool multicolor-interaction. So if they released a new plane that was big on multi-color stuff and then revisited Alara after RtR, I would be ecstatic.
Ravnica and Alara are my two favorite planes because I just love seeing all the cool multicolor-interaction. So if they released a new plane that was big on multi-color stuff and then revisited Alara after RtR, I would be ecstatic.

I feel like the next block will not be focused on multi color, and will be an original plane, but I would love to see a return to Alara also.
Any stronger opinions knowing what the block has in store for us?
I feel like there's going to be alliance of guilds.
At first I thought that guilds are gonna get crushed, but the image preview of Dragon's Maze (the one with the Izzet guy on it) suggests that there's still an Izzet at least.
-
My main interest is to how the guilds are going to team up. Classic Alara color combinations? Or wizards gonna go crazy and combine guilds to make WEDGE guilds?
-
I haven't read any of Ravnica's books, but have read some articles from the main site here and there (either old ones or the return to ravnica stories), so I only have a general knowledge of the block, but it seems that whatever Dragon's Maze is gonna bring, it won't be an "end of the world" kind of thing, but a major overhaul on the guild's structure (like I brought up, new guilds via alliance).
I feel like there's going to be alliance of guilds.
At first I thought that guilds are gonna get crushed, but the image preview of Dragon's Maze (the one with the Izzet guy on it) suggests that there's still an Izzet at least.
-
My main interest is to how the guilds are going to team up. Classic Alara color combinations? Or wizards gonna go crazy and combine guilds to make WEDGE guilds?

IF the guilds team up I think it will be enemy tri-color (what you called 'wedge''), I think this for two reasons. One, it's been a long while since a set actually reflected enemy tri-color combinations (invasion block I think). Two, just for the sake of being different than the alara block.

But when I was going over the guilds and why certain guilds would team up a few of them wouldn't mesh well in order to create enemy tri-color. So maybe only a few guilds could merge a few remain intact as they were?

Whatever the case, the guilds are ether going to completely dissban allowing ravnica to be a mono colored plane, or they are going to allign in some way. My question is what makes them do so? Environmental disaster  (like when lorwyn was affected by a comet and transformed the plane into shadowmoor? or a huge threat that appears before the plane? (ie, nicol bolas, eldrazi or new phyrexia). If the threat appears I don't think it will be new phyrexia since we JUST left that theme. Eldrazi, eh it's been long enough that they can do it. Nicol Bolas, wizards made this 'big deal' when they threw him in to M2013 so... yea maybe him?

Aside from the end of the RTR block...

I hope we go some where new, the last few sets we're we revisited were nice and all, but I'd like to see wizards be creative for 2-3 blocks before returning to one again.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Ravnica discussion:
Yeah, I've also messed up trying to put guilds together, and it's as you've said, we can create some guild alliances, but some are just..."not meant to" or "doesn't fit quite well" as you've said...
-
General "planes" discussion:
Well, I for one actually want to return to Dominaria. I mean, it'd be cool to see a whole new plane (like Shandalaar) or go back to Kamigawa, but it would be interesting to see what they make of Dominaria (I'm not too sure what happened after Time Spiral, does Dominaria still exist? Is the state of the plane "okay" or is it barren-like?).
Whatever, it's been YEARS since I haven't seen that plane and it'd be good to come back to the place where all the main things happened