What does these stats mean?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm just starting out in DnD and I'm a DM, it's really fun, creating and setting up everything. Anyway, I've ran into some troubles. I'm using the "Keep on the Shadowfell" book and I see some stats for Kobold minions:

What do these stats mean?

In the picture, there is a line that says "Ranged 10/20", does this mean the creature with this stat can only attack someone between 10-20 squares from them?

What does "+5 vs. AC; 4 DMG" mean? Does it mean the enemy deals extra damage against Armour class bceause that sounds unlikely.

What's the point of (-1) in Str 8? Why can't it just show Str 7 instead?

Another line read: "Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier (+5) damage." Whatt does 1[W] mean? 

Thanks heaps for taking the time to read this.
Ranged 10/20 means normal range up to 10, from 11-20 you take a -2 penalty to the attack roll.

+5 vs. AC is the bonus you add to the attack roll (say you roll 12, your to hit becomes 12 + 5), 4 damage is the damage the attack does.

A strength of 8 or 9 grants a (-1) modifier, a strength of 10 or 11 grants a (0) modifier and so on.
When you make certain checks, such as skill checks, you don't use the full strength but rather the modifier for calculations.

1[W] stands for 1 times weapon damage.
I'm just starting out in DnD and I'm a DM, it's really fun, creating and setting up everything. Anyway, I've ran into some troubles. I'm using the "Keep on the Shadowfell" book and I see some stats for Kobold minions:

In the picture, there is a line that says "Ranged 10/20", does this mean the creature with this stat can only attack someone between 10-20 squares from them?
It means that from 1-10 squares away its a normal attack. From 11-20 its a long range attack and you take -2 penalty

What does "+5 vs. AC; 4 DMG" mean? Does it mean the enemy deals extra damage against Armour class bceause that sounds unlikely.
Its means Dice roll+5 against the target's Armor Class(AC). Its not damage but hit.

This is because in the D&D adventurer's tool there is a monster maker and it has base stats. However it can be modified meaning that without the modifier it would actually be 9.

Another line read: "Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier (+5) damage." Whatt does 1[W] mean? 
[W]= weapon. So its 1 weapon dmg + str modifier (+5) = total dmg

Read the bold

It means that from 1-10 squares away its a normal attack. From 11-20 its a long range attack and you take -2 penalty

Its means Dice roll+5 against the target's Armor Class(AC). Its not damage but hit.

This is because in the D&D adventurer's tool there is a monster maker and it has base stats. However it can be modified meaning that without the modifier it would actually be 9.

Read the bold

Okay, thanks heaps! This is really helpful! One more question though, what do you mean by "it's not a damage but a hit"? Does this reduce the target's armour? If so, for how long?

Read the bold

Okay, thanks heaps! This is really helpful! One more question though, what do you mean by "it's not a damage but a hit"? Does this reduce the target's armour? If so, for how long?

It adds +5 to its d20 roll to determine whether it hits. Then it does 4 damage if it hits.
To the OP:
Make sure you also download the QuickStart Rules www.wizards.com/dnd/files/QuickStartRule... 

They were part of the original hardcopy module for KOTS and should clear up most of your questions. 
The -1 for Str 8 is not because the base is 9. It's if you do any sort of skill or check that is based on strength you apply a -1 penalty to the D20 roll.

The +5 vs AC means you get a +5 to the attack roll and that the attack roll is targeting the AC defense.

You will really need to get a copy of the rules to play. 
Sign In to post comments