Ric Flair (White Multiplayer Control)

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ric Flair (Mono White Control)

Introduction

I've been working on this deck for a while now. The premise of the deck is to control the board and prevent creatures from controling the board while you protect yourself until you can play a win condition. This is a fun deck to play at a kitchen table and can be built even if you are on a modest budget. The deck's name is based on legendary wrestler Ric Flair (and his precious white hair). This deck performs the best in small multiplayer games (3-4 players) but can work in singles and larger games as well.

Card Choices

These two cards are the primary win condition of this deck. Endless Horizons allows you to remove all your land from the deck brings about insane card advatnage and more importantly guarantees Goblin Charbelcher to destory an opponent. In addition, it allows you to put your deck in any order you want afterwards! Usually once Endless Horizions is on the battlefield and Goblin Charbelcher comes into play, you probably have won the game.

These are your offensive control options. They are all board wipes. Day of Judgment needs no introduction and is a budget alternative to Wrath of God. Final Judgment will hit everything including indestructible creatures and will prevent recusion as well. Phyrexian Rebirth is another board wipe that also creates an alternate win condition. Kirtar's Wrath is an exceptable alternative Final Judgment and in some metas is a superior option.

These are your defensive control options. Soul Snare is a great turn one play that discourages your opponents from attacking you. Sun Droplet helps you gain life back you may lose, and when multiple ones are out on the field they can actually lead to lifegain. Ghostly Prison is one of my favorite white cards and if played early can really prevent your opponents from doing anything. Witchbane Orb is a budget alternative to Leyline of Sanctity. It prevents you from being burned or from discarding crucial combo pieces.

These are your verstile utility cards. Oblivion Ring is spot removal, primarly for pesky enchantments, artifacts and planeswalkers but can also hit creatures. Faith's Fetters is an acceptable alternative and the lifegain is nice, but Oblivion Ring requires less mana to cast and can hit more things. White does not have many options for card draw but Staff of Nin is quite decent. It allows you to draw an extra card every turn and remove small annoying creatures like Soul Warden and Blood Seeker. However if you have a less modest budget, Mind's Eye would be a better alternative. White Sun's Zenith is a fantastic utility card that is quite underrated. Martial Coup may seem like a superior alternative, but the fact that White Sun's Zenith is instant means it can really come in handy at a pinch as instant blockers. In addition, White Sun's Zenith can be used as an alternate win condition and the tokens can also be destoryed to making your Phyrexian Rebirth bigger!

Plains is the only land card in this deck. While there are great utilty lands, Plains is not only budget, but guarntees your win condition with Endless Horizons and Goblin Charbelcher. This deck wants to have a lot of lands because there are a lot of cards that have a high converted mana cost.

The Deck

Enchantment (14)
4x Oblivion Ring
4x Ghostly Prison
3x Endless Horizons
3x Soul Snare
Instant (2)
2x White Sun's Zenith
Sorcery (8)
4x Day of Judgment
2x Final Judgment
2x Phyrexian Rebirth
Artifact (11)
4x Goblin Charbelcher
3x Sun Droplet
2x Witchbane Orb
2x Staff of Nin
Land (25)
25x Plains

I plan on adding an additional section on match-ups, so please do not hestitate to state what decks would perform poorly against this deck along with which decks would have an upper hand.

Thanks for taking the time to read over my deck. I'm free to answer any questions about the deck and I strongly encourage them, I would also love to hear any feedback or alternative options for the deck.

I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Nice deck.

I like your idea, however I'd consider putting in the other two Final Judgment.  Being able to get rid of Bloodghast etc. and reanimator targets is useful.  Terminus is another way to get rid of them if you have the coin.

I'd also consider some way of finding your main combo pieces, or an answer for that matter.
Unfortunately, Enlightened Tutor is really expensive!, but would be a perfect fit. 
Maybe Golden Wish?     
Wish has the added benefit of you being able to fetch ANY ench., art., including a creature beatstick or more protection that you wouldn't want to main deck, like Ensnaring Bridge, Lightmine Field, Island Sanctuary etc.
Good Luck.

BTW - how do you make the card pic's do THAT? 
Surprised and disappointed that my deck has recieved so little feedback after so many views

Thanks slave, Terminus would be good, but it's not very budget. There's not too much stuff like Bloodghast in my meta, but in some cases adding additional Final Judgment makes sense. Don't forget you do have the Soul Snare though, that also prevent recursion. Oblivion Ring can also (in some cases).

Like you said Enlightened Tutor is amazing, but out of my price range. Golden Wish is an interesting card I never knew about but I kind of like that the deck is Modern as it is now. I seldom play with tutors when I play Magic. I feel that with this deck, I have enough time to draw both of the primary combo pieces because I can stall for  a very long time with control. Also I have Staff of Nin which speeds up the process and Endless Horizons really speeds up the process.

P.S. To make pictures "do that" I just copy the image URL and paste it in with the "Insert/Edit Imagine" option (the icon of the little tree). I got the card images from wizards.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Do you use Staff of Nin on a lot of little guys? You don't need the effect for players since the Belcher takes care of that. I would consider something like Temple Bell, Anvil of Bogardan,  Howling Mine, or cantrip cards. The Staff will come down late, which won't help you draw your combo pieces. While I am not normally a fan of the plankton style cards, these should help get you the cards you need and the time to use them. Oblivion Ring has similar problems in my mind, something like Hobble deals with many decks main ways of killing a player. This could be used to draw some cards and get keep you alive.

As for matchups, anything with a Naturalize can pose a threat. If you slam down Goblin Charbelcher without the mana to activate it then everyone in the game is a giant threat. The Endless Horizons signals your intent very well once the Belcher lands. Taking this out will become a priority. 

To help this, I think some speed could be added to the deck:
Mind Stone will get you more mana and trades itself into cards when no longer needed
Worn Powerstone isn't exciting but does make a lot of mana
Armillary Sphere is a bit clunky, but gets two lands qucikly
Journeyer's Kite is a bit more stable, but outside EDH I find it too slow

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

Do you use Staff of Nin on a lot of little guys? You don't need the effect for players since the Belcher takes care of that. I would consider something like Temple Bell, Anvil of Bogardan,  Howling Mine, or cantrip cards. The Staff will come down late, which won't help you draw your combo pieces. While I am not normally a fan of the plankton style cards, these should help get you the cards you need and the time to use them. Oblivion Ring has similar problems in my mind, something like Hobble deals with many decks main ways of killing a player. This could be used to draw some cards and get keep you alive.

As for matchups, anything with a Naturalize can pose a threat. If you slam down Goblin Charbelcher without the mana to activate it then everyone in the game is a giant threat. The Endless Horizons signals your intent very well once the Belcher lands. Taking this out will become a priority. 

To help this, I think some speed could be added to the deck:
Mind Stone will get you more mana and trades itself into cards when no longer needed
Worn Powerstone isn't exciting but does make a lot of mana
Armillary Sphere is a bit clunky, but gets two lands qucikly
Journeyer's Kite is a bit more stable, but outside EDH I find it too slow

Really mad because I typed out an incredibly deatailed post and it just disappeared magically.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the feedback Razjah. I considered something like Howling Mine, but I don't see how giving everyone card advantage helps me, especially against the few decks in my play circle that run enchantment removal. Staff of Nin is a 6 drop, but this deck is so defensive 6 or 7 turns really isn't that long and hitting the small critters can come in handy. 

I run Oblivion Ring over stuff like Hobble because I need something to hit Planeswalkers or pesky enchantments. Oblvion Ring is verstile removal.

I would never play Goblin Charbelcher or Endless Horizons before I have 7 Plains down unless I know my opponents have zero enchantment/artifact removal. Getting an additional Plains every turn is just icing on the cake but the deck doesn't need more than 7 lands to function. The real purpose of Endless Horizons is to give me insane card advantage and more imporantly set up Goblin Charbelcher for a win. So it really doesn't matter if Endless Horizons gets removed. 

Goblin Charbelcher only goes down on the field if I have 7 lands so it will eliminate an opponent for sure. Then when I reorganize my library, I usually put a Goblin Charbelcher on the top, so even if an opponent that is still remaining tries to remove the Goblin Charbelcher I can just play another one.

You are right about cards like Naturalize, and even worse stuff like Ray of Revelation (hate playing against that card sometimes) but I have so many enchantments and artifacts, it is really hard for my opponents to determine which ones they should eliminate. I literally have 25 of them.  

I really don't think I need more draw or card advantage. A solid (but not amazing) opening hand would look something like this: 1 Soul Snare, 1 Ghostly Prison, 1 Day of Judgment, 3 Plains and 1 Staff of Nin.

This hand would allow me to last for 6 turns without taking any major damage even if I didn't draw anything good during those turns which is incredibly unlikely (I would probably draw another Ghostly Prison and offensive removal spell). 
If you have enough planeswalkers to need Oblivion Ring then keep that by all means, I was just looking for ways to draw more cards. I am not a fan of decks that need to get to 6 or 7 mana without ramp or significant card draw.

If I played this with my group from college, I would win once. Then I would get bashed out of basically every game from that point on. The prisons work great, but a stray Naturalize can open up 10 or more damage quickly in a multiplayer game. Even with 4 Day of Judgment the  chances of getting one to play on turn 4 every game are rough, and your other mass removal spells are a lot more costly. I really think for a deck like this to run smoother you need something Rout or Hallowed Burial to help keep the board clear. Ghostly Prison works as a speed bump, but I wouldn't consider it a great defensive card- determined players will run over this and a deck that cheats out a big fattie will just pay the mana every time and still kill you.  

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

If you have enough planeswalkers to need Oblivion Ring then keep that by all means, I was just looking for ways to draw more cards. I am not a fan of decks that need to get to 6 or 7 mana without ramp or significant card draw.

If I played this with my group from college, I would win once. Then I would get bashed out of basically every game from that point on. The prisons work great, but a stray Naturalize can open up 10 or more damage quickly in a multiplayer game. Even with 4 Day of Judgment the  chances of getting one to play on turn 4 every game are rough, and your other mass removal spells are a lot more costly. I really think for a deck like this to run smoother you need something Rout or Hallowed Burial to help keep the board clear. Ghostly Prison works as a speed bump, but I wouldn't consider it a great defensive card- determined players will run over this and a deck that cheats out a big fattie will just pay the mana every time and still kill you.  

Rout and Hallowed Burial are excellent cards and great recommendations (although neither are super budget). I never knew about those cards and if I had more money I'd probably try to fit them in this deck, especially Hallowed Burial. The next white control deck I make will probably have both of those cards in it.

I understand where you are coming from but my play circle is pretty casual. We're not the type of people that will just gang up on one person. In other words, even if someone takes down one of my Ghostly Prisons, it's not like my 3 opponents are now going to be like "let's just attack Honor Basquiat now."

I haven't ran hard math with this deck yet, but it seems very very likely that between turns 4 and 6 I will board wipe after already being behind at least two forms of defensive control. 

Turn 1 Soul Snare
Turn 2 Sun Droplet
Turn 3 Ghostly Prison
Turn 4 (Nothing or Witchbane Orb)
Turn 5/Turn 6 Day of Judgment or Final Judgment

Something like that is very common, far for the best case scenario, and has me with most of my life still.

Something better but still not optimal would be the following:

Turn 1 Nothing
Turn 2 Soul Snare
Turn 3 Ghostly Prison
Turn 4 Ghostly Prison
Turn 5 White Sun's Zenith
Turn 6 Phrexian Rebirth

In this scenario I take even less damage, possible even none and have a huge win condition on the board with no competition. 

I know what your saying about needing 6 or 7 mana seeming like a hurdle. But I really feel like I have a ton of control that will really prevent me from getting hit.  
.....my play circle is pretty casual. We're not the type of people that will just gang up on one person. In other words, even if someone takes down one of my Ghostly Prisons, it's not like my 3 opponents are now going to be like "let's just attack Honor Basquiat now."

So you don't play combo then?
 In my group, most of us have gotten wary of certain decks just auto-winning, so blue counter is rampant, and if we see an opportunity to knock out whoever is playing one of those decks - we alpha strike them..... or we lose.
We end up having some very fun games as the group is always knocking down the "tall-poppy" at any given moment. 

Razjah has a very valid point.
If you remove all your mana sources from your deck with Endless Horizons;
You run the risk of a single spell forcing you to just give up, as you won't be able to get those Plains back with a another Endless Horizon's - they're gone.  You'll be stuck at four mana for the rest of the game..... 

I'd consider getting some other ways of generating mana once you've hit 4 lands, or a way to activate your Charbelcher quicker than turn 7.
Thran Dynamo would negate this problem of your lands vanishing from your deck, making 7 mana easy.
And also give you an extra 3 mana for activating Belcher on turn 5.
Booyah!
We have one guy who does that "I have to attack you or I lose thing", but he's too competitive. I think that's silly though, if John is the biggest threat, so I spend all my resources taking him out early, sure I might win, but now John has to watch us play for 15 minutes and that's just rude. None of us have crazy decks, there have been a couple decks I ran by forums here and deemed too powerful for our play circle.

Like I said really early, it'd be foolish to cast Endless Horizons before turn 7. I would never ever do that unless I knew I was playing against zero enchantment removal. I also only play the Goblin Charbelcher the same turn I can kill someone with it. Running something like Thran Dynamo instead doesn't help at all because they could just remove that too and you have the same problem.  

I haven't played the deck with my play circle, but I don't know why you guys make it seem like turn 7 is like turn 30 or something. I'm not going to die in the first 7 turns, especially if I'm sitting behind a bunch of defensive control. I just don't see that happening. 
What's with the mindset that Horizons always has to remove every Plains in the deck? It runs 3-4; not just 1. Even if the first one is just nabbing 6 or 7 that's still a great way to draw mostly gas for the rest of the game. He plays 3-4 for a reason; future ones can exile everything if needed.

With respect to the deck itself, I pretty much agree with what most of the people are saying. If people aren't alpha striking the guy who lost his Ghostly Prison then they're doing something wrong. Still, that seems to be the case from the sounds of things, so hey, who are you to complain? Abusing your meta is certainly a viable tactic and I don't blame you for doing it. I would be that competitive guy who would alpha you over and over until you died, but hey, that's me and not the people that you play with.

What I will say is that your situation isn't all that common and so you have to take the advice of posters with a grain of salt. Most of us live in a world where slow, durdly decks can easly get picked off by turn 7, especially if they have bad draws. And like, that's being generous. You could easily be dead on turn 5 or 6 if your draw was exceptionally poor or slow. Yeah, it sucks to lose first, but someone has to and the game can't end until the last man is left standing. I wouldn't let you sit back and kill me with Charbelcher for example. Given the choice of making you lose early and forcing you to wait for us to finish or letting you reach the late game and beat us all quickly, I'd choose the former every time. I'd like for everyone to have as much fun as possible, but I mean why even play if it isn't to win? I'm not there to come in second or third or whatever; I want to take home the W. Slow decks with lots on inevitability can and should be hit fast and hard, and that's what I would personally do.

Not much to add beyond that for obvious reasons.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
What's with the mindset that Horizons always has to remove every Plains in the deck? It runs 3-4; not just 1. Even if the first one is just nabbing 6 or 7 that's still a great way to draw mostly gas for the rest of the game. He plays 3-4 for a reason; future ones can exile everything if needed.

With respect to the deck itself, I pretty much agree with what most of the people are saying. If people aren't alpha striking the guy who lost his Ghostly Prison then they're doing something wrong. Still, that seems to be the case from the sounds of things, so hey, who are you to complain? Abusing your meta is certainly a viable tactic and I don't blame you for doing it. I would be that competitive guy who would alpha you over and over until you died, but hey, that's me and not the people that you play with.

What I will say is that your situation isn't all that common and so you have to take the advice of posters with a grain of salt. Most of us live in a world where slow, durdly decks can easly get picked off by turn 7, especially if they have bad draws. And like, that's being generous. You could easily be dead on turn 5 or 6 if your draw was exceptionally poor or slow. Yeah, it sucks to lose first, but someone has to and the game can't end until the last man is left standing. I wouldn't let you sit back and kill me with Charbelcher for example. Given the choice of making you lose early and forcing you to wait for us to finish or letting you reach the late game and beat us all quickly, I'd choose the former every time. I'd like for everyone to have as much fun as possible, but I mean why even play if it isn't to win? I'm not there to come in second or third or whatever; I want to take home the W. Slow decks with lots on inevitability can and should be hit fast and hard, and that's what I would personally do.

Not much to add beyond that for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I mean, maybe I'm not explaining things right. If a Ghostly Prison went down, people would attack me, but it's not like everyone would just eliminate me. We just don't play like that. Our games have 3-4 players and take about 10 turns for the first player to get eliminated. 

But I'm telling you, if I have a Ghostly Prison, and a Soul Snare, and a Sun Droplet up, I'm not going to get hit very hard by the time I play a board wipe.

If I exile all the Plains as soon as possible, that makes it more likely I will get to my Goblin Charbelcher earlier.  

I want to play in your group. If I had a Ghostly Prison protecting me and someone ganks it past turn 4-5-there is a very good chance I won't untap. Now, if I had the Soul Snare and Sun Droplet I'll probably live, but my group really enjoys killing players. 

I want to play in your group. If I had a Ghostly Prison protecting me and someone ganks it past turn 4-5-there is a very good chance I won't untap. Now, if I had the Soul Snare and Sun Droplet I'll probably live, but my group really enjoys killing players. 

Yeah, I guess we are just more casual players. I don't see the fun in eliminating one of our friends early and then have that person wait 15 minutes while the game continues. We don't have any official casual rules or anything so there are exceptions (if a player in dominating the match, or has been particuarly harsh towards one or two players), but generally speaking no player solely attacks the same player two turns in a row. 
Last question:

What do you guys think about running Ajani's Mantra over Sun Droplet? Advantages? Disadvantages? 
Mantra Pros: Your friends will wet themselves laughing at you, forcing them to bow out and making you the default winner.
Mantra Cons: It's the worst card ever printed.

Droplet pros: It's a decent form of multiplayer mitigation, especially if you can get one to stick early.
Droplet cons: Its value decreases rapidly over time if you fail to stick one early since it will probable be irrelevant once you fall be low 12 or so life and will likely be killed in a single attack (if ever).

Conclusion: Mantra will get you some laughs but Droplet is a solid early game spell in a deck that needs all the help that it can get on that front. 
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
First of all, let me say that I both really like this deck, and that I am by no means an expert. That being said, what if you replaced a Ghostly Prison with Silent Arbiter? The mana cost on the arbiter is higher, but when combo'ed with the Soul Snare, and the Ghostly Prison, it would keep out all attackers.
So I just wanted to come back and thank you guys all. The deck is finished and it does really well in my circle. I am almost concerned it might be a little too powerful. Turn one [Soul Snare, turn two Sun Droplet and turn three Ghostly Prison is awesome. Witchbane Orb does wonders against certain cards, particuarly planeswalkers that target and discard.  I have great draws with the deck generally. The weakness I'm having trouble with are creatures with haste. Particuarly Gaea's Revenge, god I hate that thing, comes out swinging and I can't Soul Snare or Obvion Ring it.

There really isn't much I'm considering changing about the deck so far although I'm sort of considering replacing Oblivion Ring with [c[Faith's Fetters[/c]. Also when I get a little more cash I plan on replacing Witchbane Orb with Leyline of Sanctity.

And thanks TomJD. Silent Arbiter is a great card, but it's a creature and I run way too many board whipes (literally 10 of them) for it to have a strong board presence. Is there any other card like it that is an enchantment or artifact? And in general does anyone know of any other board controling enchantments or artifacts I overlooked that are defensive (Other than Humility which is out of my price range)? Would Meekstone been good, it's a card I recently learned about that I think could be very powerful.

Edit: Just realized Meekstone isn't Modern legal, sigh maybe for another deck. Meekstone + Reverence could be awesome. 
And thanks TomJD. Silent Arbiter is a great card, but it's a creature and I run way too many board whipes (literally 10 of them) for it to have a strong board presence. Is there any other card like it that is an enchantment or artifact? And in general does anyone know of any other board controling enchantments or artifacts I overlooked that are defensive (Other than Humility which is out of my price range)? Would Meekstone been good, it's a card I recently learned about that I think could be very powerful.

Edit: Just realized Meekstone isn't Modern legal, sigh maybe for another deck. Meekstone + Reverence could be awesome. 

Bottled Cloister and Ensnaring Bridge together can mean no one attacks you with creatures.

Crawlspace is not Modern, nor is KismetPorphyry Nodes, however, and perhaps Sphere of Safety are if you rework the deck.

Ward of Bones can be frustrating to play against.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Bottled Cloister + Ensnaring Bridge is pretty neat, and I really could run Bottled Cloister because I only run White Sun's Zenith which usually I don't run as an instant. At the same time, while Staff of Nin costs more, I really like being able to ping small threats.

Perhaps I'll make another control deck with Bottled Cloister + Ensnaring Bridge

What are some other ways mono white could win with aside from Goblin Charbelcher and expensive Planeswalkers?