What are the best melee STR-based Ranger|Cleric builds?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been looking through some threads and found these. Anyone have any threads to direct me to or builds they know? 

Mul

==================================================
Mul, Cleric|Ranger
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Combat Talent
Ranger Combat Talent: Prime shot (Hybrid)
Cleric option: Battle cleric lore
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 28 Fort: 24 Reflex: 20 Will: 24
HP: 77 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +14, Endurance +11, Nature +16, Athletics +16, Heal +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +9, History +4, Insight +9, Intimidate +5, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven weapon talent
Level 2: Improved defenses
Level 4: Swift recovery
Level 6: superior Will
Level 8: Two handed weapon Expertise 
Level 10: Battle awareness

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Brand of the sun
Hybrid at-will 1: Marauder's Rush
Hybrid encounter 1: Mighty hew
Hybrid daily 1: Moment of Glory
Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid daily 5: Snarling Wolf Stance
Hybrid utility 6: Stream of life
Hybrid encounter 7: Fey beguiling
Hybrid daily 9: Divine power
Hybrid utility 10: Enter the crucible

ITEMS
Dragonriders Drakescale +3, Vanguard Executioners axe +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Horned Helm (heroic tier), Badge of the Berserker +3

=====================================================

Minotaur

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Hybrid, level 12
Minotaur, Cleric|Ranger, Morninglord
Hybrid Cleric: Battle Cleric's Lore
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Combat Talent
Ranger Combat Talent: Prime Shot (Hybrid)
Goring Charge Key Ability: Goring Charge Strength
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 23, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 9, Wis 18, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 30 Fort: 28 Reflex: 24 Will: 26
HP: 90 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +17, Insight +17, Perception +19, Nature +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +5, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +9, Heal +10, History +5, Intimidate +6, Religion +5, Stealth +8, Streetwise +6, Thievery +8

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Spiked Chain Training
Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Prime Punisher
Level 12: Called Shot

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Healing Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Hybrid utility 2: Bless
Hybrid encounter 3: Ruffling Sting
Hybrid daily 5: Weapon of the Gods
Hybrid utility 6: Death Threat
Hybrid encounter 7: Lashing Leaves
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Hybrid utility 10: Resume the Hunt

ITEMS
Radiant Spiked chain +3, Dwarven Wyvernscale Armor +3, Amulet of Protection +3, Casque of Tactics (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Strikebacks (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Siberys Shard of Radiance (heroic tier) (2), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Demonskin Tattoo (heroic tier), Symbol of Hope +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Genasi is usually the superior option
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Genasi is usually the superior option

Just because of the +2/+4 damage from Shocking Flame?
No, because of the +11-40 damage from shocking flame

How does that work, through multi-attacks?

No, Shocking Flame stacks.  What do you think? Innocent

No, Shocking Flame stacks.  What do you think? 

"your melee attacks deal an extra 2 fire damage"

That's right, stacks on multi-swings, no? That's what I asked. 

No, Shocking Flame stacks.  What do you think? 

"your melee attacks deal an extra 2 fire damage"

That's right, stacks on multi-swings, no? That's what I asked. 

'Stacking' isn't the right term; it will apply on every individual attack of a multi-attack.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
It also allows you to tap into fire/lightning support without blowing your weapon enchant or some other method of converting your damage.
It also allows you to tap into fire/lightning support without blowing your weapon enchant or some other method of converting your damage.

Is there a particularly appealing reason to have fire/lightning damage support over untyped support for example? Is there some interesting feats or powers that synergize with these damage types?
There's lots of feats, paragon path/epic destiny features, and items that interact with typed damage. There's plenty that interact with untyped, too, but the typed ones are often either superior (because they're more specific), or stack with the untyped ones.

Do you have access to the compendium?
There's lots of feats, paragon path/epic destiny features, and items that interact with typed damage. There's plenty that interact with untyped, too, but the typed ones are often either superior (because they're more specific), or stack with the untyped ones. Do you have access to the compendium?

Yeah i do. I'm looking through some of the Genasi right now. I found a few cool combos:

Elemental Blessing (+str THP) + Desert's Soul PP = at-will flight and THP every time you move.

I'm assuming you can't use Double Manifestation to add both fire and lightning to your attacks with Shocking Storm.

Would Mark of Storm work for my attacks with Shocking Flame? 

Fiery Blood, Astral Fire, Raging Storm and Lightning Soul seem good.

If there's any that stick out, let me know, I didn't see anything else that crazy yet.
Yes mark of storm works.

Dragonshards add damage to typed attacks as well.
Even without firewind blade shinanigans, the genasi get's +2d8+2 on all melee attacks from Promise of Storm + Shocking flame. At epic this increases to +3d8+8 with double manifestation.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
It does depend on what you want to concentrate on - Humans have some very interesting options with their 3rd at-will, namely Throw & Stab. Cahulaks is a throwable double reach weapon which is a flail. Lashing Flail allows you to slide an enemy 1 square with an MBA. Flail Expertise allows you to prone them instead. And Righteous Brand+Power of Skill+Prone = +3 leader bonus+CA for your melee ally. Hurl & Charge is a really nice level 1 power that allows for minor league charge optimization and a multi-attack.

You won't reach the heights of Striker damage output that the other builds can do, but it is really fun to play and very useful to the group.
That's not melee and I'd also disagree on interesting. You're sinking multiple feats and taking penalties in order to REDUCE your effectiveness against priority targets.

If you're fighting tofu, sure...

I've generally found that tactical DMs put the controllers in the back and having lots of movement capabilities, solid defenses, and the ability to prone can make life really difficult for them. Hurling Charge and Throw & Stab might not be only melee, but they give a lot of action efficiency, particularly in combination.

Example:
Move: Move speed squares
AP: Throw & Stab, where you throw at any relevant target and then move at speed to near a target that is within speed of the controller in the back. Potentially proning that 2nd target.
Minor: Oath of Enmity
Standard: Hurling Charge(free quarry), throw, and then prone controller.

The controller now has a bad catch-22:
Disruptive Strike for aiming at the Ranger|Cleric
MBA if they provoke
Mighty Hew if they aim at anyone else and hit

And if they don't manage to get away from the Ranger|Cleric, they'll eat 4 more attacks that involve 8 attack rolls in the next round. If they're only 2*speed away instead of 3*speed, then you get a Twin Strike against the controller with your AP instead of Throw & Stab. That'll mean a total of 7 melee attacks and 1 ranged attack and easily doable on an encounter basis when you do 15 attack rolls and have a symbol of victory...

Sign In to post comments