Prey Upon and Deathtouch

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
If Prey Upon is used to make a 4/4 non-deathtouch creature fight a 1/1 deathtouch, does the deathtouch still apply, or is it strictly damage vs damage?
Each creature deals damage to the other. The deathtouch would apply since it would be the 1/1 deathtouch creature dealing the damage.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
No it doesn't. Deathtouch applies only when combat damage is dealt. Creatures, when targeted with Prey Upon, just do regular damage (like Prodigal Pyromancer for example). A 1/1 with deathtouch will not kill a 4/4 using Prey Upon

702.2b. Any nonzero amount of combat damage assigned to a creature by a source with deathtouch is considered to be lethal damage, regardless of that creature’s toughness. See rules 510.1c-d.

edit: i was wrong 
No it doesn't. Deathtouch applies only when combat damage is dealt. Creatures, when targeted with Prey Upon, just do regular damage (like Prodigal Pyromancer for example). A 1/1 with deathtouch will not kill a 4/4 using Prey Upon

702.2b. Any nonzero amount of combat damage assigned to a creature by a source with deathtouch is considered to be lethal damage, regardless of that creature’s toughness. See rules 510.1c-d.

wrong rule
that's for assigning damage

704.5h If a creature has toughness greater than 0, and it’s been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked, that creature is destroyed. Regeneration can replace this event.

it doesn't say anything about combat damage only
proud member of the 2011 community team
If Prey Upon is used to make a 4/4 non-deathtouch creature fight a 1/1 deathtouch, does the deathtouch still apply, or is it strictly damage vs damage?

The Typhoid Rats (or whatever) dealt damage to Ashenmoor Gouger (or whatever), so it is destroyed.

702.2c A creature with toughness greater than 0 that's been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action. See rule 704.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.