Cleric PrC advice

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another player in my 3.5 group is playing a cleric. Thus far, no one has put any thought into any PrCs for him. While he is perfectly fine as just a cleric, I feel that he is missing out on class features to go with his casting.

He is a NG cleric of Torm. He has the strength and healing domains. We have a houserule that all clerics are proficient with their deity's favored weapon so he wields a greatsword. He plays the character more martial, but that wouldn't necessarily be a requirement. The only requirement is that he cannot lose spell levels. Any thoughts?
Bone Knight from five nations (eberron book) is best for melee oriented clerics. It is a 9/10 casting class, but well worth it due to it's class features. Church Inquisitor and Contemplative are also solid choices, both are from complete divine. They are 10/10 casting classes, but they usually aren't 10 levels long. Get what you want from them and get out if you will.

I honestly can't overstate how GOOD bone knight is for a melee focused cleric. 
Ordanained champion is a good pick if he wants to go for a martial perspective, or ruby knight vindicator depending on how gishy he wants to be
The only problem with your friend for ordained champion is no war domain(and bone knight is much better) the ruby knight vindicator causes him to give up more casting but gives him access to many powerful maneuvers
Knight of the Raven from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is an awesome melee/anit-undead PrC.  Full BAB, 9/10 casting, the Sun Domain for free at 3rd level, d8 HD, and Smite Undead every even level. 

The 1st level of Dragonslayer (from Draconomicon )alone is very nice (if not the whole class), and boosts all casting classes 5/10, be they arcane or Divine.

Demonwrecker from Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is nice if you're facing lots of evil and/or chaotic outsiders.

Lords of Madness has Sanctified Mind for anti psionic-using creatures (primarily evil ones, but can be anti-psionic in general), if your campaign uses them.

Soulguard from Fiendish Codex 2 gives nice immunities, in addition to an average BAB.
There's a good one in the Planar Handbook (that I can never remember the name of), I'll also throw in Thaumaturgist (DMG) and Malconvoker (Complete Scoundrel, iirc).
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
All great suggestions... but somehow they don't really fit his character. Shining Blade of Heironeous would be great except for the fact that its only 5/10 casting.

He is very devoted to Torm, more so that another cleric of the faith might be. This is due to the fact that Torm intervened when he was attacked by a chaos beast and was being disincorporated and gave him a great load of powers (its a light-based version of the Shade template.) He is in every way the consumate Tormish cleric, even to the point of emulating Torm's personality, which was revealed to him when he was transformed. 

Bone Knight would be great except that he has never shown any interest in undead one way or the other. Same goes for the Raven Knight.

The Church Inquisitor looks the best for him, but we haven't encountered his church in quite some time as we are in Zhentarim occupied Shadowdale.

What about Divine Disciple? It's only 5 levels had 5/5 casting. It seems to fit my description of him...

What about Prestige Paladin from UA? Or Warpriest, maybe? I forget how many CL that gives up.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Warpriest is 5/10.

We might adapt the Justiciar of Tyr to reflect Torm.
Could go divine oracle for additional domains too just a though but skill reqs are high I beieve