[Deck] Tezz Knows Bezz

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just a list I've been messing around with since I woke up this morning. I've won a match against Mana Drain, but I suspect the player may have made a few play errors.

Engines

4 Artificer's Intuition
3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
2 Tezzeret the Seeker

Finding Stuff

1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Expedition Map
2 Thoughtcast

Stuff to Find

4 Chalice of the Void
2 Pithing Needle
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Brittle Effigy
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Voltaic Key
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Engineered Explosives

Stuff That Wins

1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Time Vault
3 Auriok Salvagers

Random Things and Stuff

1 Unburial Rites

Mana-producing Stuff

2 Darksteel Citadel
1 Seat of the Synod
3 Ancient Tomb
3 Polluted Delta
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Academy Ruins
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Underground Sea
1 Swamp
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Pearl
2 Mox Opal
1 Mox Diamond
1 Black Lotus
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Sol Ring

Mindslaver needs to be something else, and Crucible is kind of lackluster if I don't actually pull off Striplock soon after playing it.

But Intuition is stupidly good. I like having exactly the answers I need all the time. And ramping in Blue. And winning out of nowhere. Pyrite kills Bob/Thalia/Revoker and then goes infinite later. Missing Lodestone and Predator makes me sad, I may need to bring back the Brittle Effigy I was using in the first draft to deal with them and BSC/Emrakul/other stoopidz.

Yes, maindeck Cage shuts off Tinker-BSC. No, I don't care. Turning off Dredge/Oath/Hermit Druid/Snapcaster/YawgWin/Opposing Tinker in Game 1 is too good to pass up.

EDIT: Updated with current list. Been getting a lot of calls to add Walk and AR, but I feel that Walk is a little weak and AR clashes with maindeck Chalice. Walk may work out with more Tezzies though...TezzWalk seems like a good two turns. 

Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Tezz the seeker seems kind of slow in this deck...  Is it just for the time vault or would you tinker for that as well?

Intuition is pretty hilarious. 

How consistently do you go off with it? 
Tezz 1.0 has actually performed incredibly well. Tezz 2.0 usually wins within 2-3 turns, but Tezz 1.0 is almost guaranteed 1-2 turns from dropping. The 1 extra mana is the only thing stopping me from switching the numbers.

I do Tinker into Vault occasionally, but Tezz can be a 5-mana repeatable Tinker.

Intuition has got a lot of funny looks and a lot of derisive comments but it always works exceptionally well. Tutoring up Needle for Jace, Spellbomb for Confidant, Chalice to kill Storm dead, I consistently get exactly what I need just fast enough.

Salvagers is a fantastic plan B, I've won several games with it. I do tend to need an untap step since he costs 4 to play and another 2 to use, but it hasn't really been a problem. I can consistently win turn 3 with him through either turn 2: 4 mana, or turn 3: 6 mana.

Vault Key obviously wins turns 1-2 most games that I use it.

Tezz 2.0 beats tend to go to turn 4, usually from turn 2 Tezz, animate, turn 3 animate, swing 10, turn 4 animate swing lethal. I only use this approach when I want a no-cast way to kill (so that I don't walk into Drains or if I am stumped by Spheres after Tezz hits).

The deck reminds me of a buffet deck a friend ran in a legacy tournament.  "A little bit of everything".  It had like 4 archetypes of combo in it.

Does Unburial Rites get sideboarded out regularly?

What do you play in your board?    

The number of combos is more a result of Vintage itself; combos in this format are so compact, cheap, and easy to splash that there's no point not to run them. VaultKey is two cards, one 2cmc and the other 1cmc, both colorless. It's insanely easy to simply slide into two deck slots.

Bomberman is a three-card combo that takes advantage of cards I should be running anyway (Black Lotus and LED), and that I can tutor for easily and quickly. And I can use them both to kickstart the combo, and complete it.

Tinker is a one-card combo in any deck that runs powerful, splashy artifacts. Being 3cmc and blue makes it hard to turn away from.

Anyways, back to the deck. Rites is probably the weak link here; I use it solely for Gifts shenanigans with Salvagers. I always win after Gifts, so I'm inclined to keep doing it.

I have no board yet, but 4 Spell Pierce will be a must to deal with Null Rod. Possibly a few Hurkyl's Recall as well. 
How often do you see Graf Diggers?  That would hurt almost as much as rod.
I run my own Cage. It doesn't hurt at all. I can still Tinker-->Time Vault, I can still lay Tezz beats, I can still ult Tezz and use Intuition, I can still win with Salvagers if I cast it from hand.

Cage shuts off Tinker-->BSC, and it shuts off Rites. That's all, and it's minor enough that I usually go for my own Cage fairly early in a lot of matchups.
Well I obviously didn't read grafdigger's again, it only says creatures from decks...  whoops.

I ask questions because I want to learn some of the complexities.  Gush and such.  I know you're not running it, but that is as complicated a card as brainstorm.
No problem, I love questions whether I'm asking or answering =)

You ask good questions, and I hope I can explain things well.