Best Solo Class/Race for Heroic lvl

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So my friend came up to me and asked me if I wanted to play a solo campaing.. at first I thought GREAT I can choose whichever class I want without having to fill in a specific role because some douchebags decided to let me pick last ... and then, I remembered, I haven't played in a while and lost my ability to generate an awesome character without even opening a damn book (yeah I was pretty addicted...) anywayys.. Im a bit lazy and Im wondering what Charops would do if they could build any character they wanted while still making him able to survive the lack of a party and just be plain awesome

SO what do you say?... Challenge accepted? ;)
For the entire heroic tier or just the lattar half? If you start at level 6, permastealth pixie would be nice; you will basically be undetectable and can silently kill off each enemy one by one. Use the search function for permastealth and you will find etails in one of the many threads about it.

If for the entire heroic tier, what I'd want is a character with good damage, defenses and perhaps some healing ability. A dwarven charge-focussed slayer seems like a relatively simple and effective build. Go str/dex, pick dwarven weapon training and use a gauge, then pick cunning stalker and surprising charge as feats. For an item, the neckslot item 'cloak of the walking wounded' would be a very good idea. Search the threads for more items of the 'basic charge package' to add even more damage to charges (such as a vanguard weapon and a horned helm).
later heroic tier
Lazy warlord...  

Assuming your friend will adjust the difficulty, i suggest a pixie vampire.  Dex and Cha are probably the 2 most importaint RP skills, and you'll have a nice mix of mobility, regen, and damage.

If he won't adjust difficulty, then erachima's suggestion is good.

Unkillable Revenant are also an option mid+ heroic.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Erachima's suggestion is the best one I can think of too.

If you were to play a pure leader, you would have two minor action leader heals, and thus (speaking loosely) expect to survive a little more than 50% longer than a striker, because you would have 50% more hit points per fight, plus however many bonus HP from the leader heals on top of that.

If you were to play a pure striker, you could (again speaking very loosely) expect to kill things 50% faster as a non-striker, and thus take only about 2/3 of the total damage because the fights would end sooner.  This more or less evens out compared to the leader's heal-based survivability.  Arguments could be made about being better off one way or the other, but we're talking very roughly here.

As a good synergistic compromise, the hybrid ranger/cleric gets the benefit of 1 leader heal (for +25% survivability time), extremely good defenses from Battle Cleric's Lore (scale armor and +2 floating shield bonus), while not giving up too much striker damage potential.  So you will take less damage than a pure ranger (better AC), have more HP than a pure ranger (from the extra heal), and do nearly as much damage as a pure ranger would.
This is maybe the only situation in which it's not a bad idea to play an ossassin. Spend 4 rounds placing shrouds from hiding, attack, rinse repeat.

Since the enemies aren't bashing on your allies while you do this, it's a less terrible strategy. 
Riposte Striking Rogue|Ranger/Cleric

Riposte /w Brutal Scoundrel is higher damage output that twin strike Ranger.  Minor action attacks still let you get Hunter's Quarry every round.  Cleric multiclass gets you healing word once per day.

And you don't need to burn a ton of feats to guarentee Riposte Strike out of turn because you're the only enemy.
You should talk to your friend about what kind of campaign you want to do.

If you want to do typical, straightforward encounters, something like a Ranger|Cleric would be great.

But if you wanted to do a cloak-and-dagger type of thing, a permastealth rouge or assassin could work well.

Hell, you could have a campaign full of social challenges and modified (read:easymode) fights where a bard would be successful.

A solo campaign is the ultimate freedom to play whatever seems the most fun for you because the DM can completely tailor it around your strengths and weaknesses.  Make the most of it.