10/1/2012 Draft Simulator

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
That was interesting.  I bounced around with support color for Black between White and Green, then got a great green flood with 2 Rancor and black almost become a support color for green main.  Go figure.

Creatures (14):
Duty-Bound Dead  --- can power early attackers and provides some level of defense, and if "Rancor-ed" could be nasty threat
Arbor Elf x 2  --- speeds deck, turn 1 drop if nothing else
Ravenous Rats --- instant card advantage early, discarding a land might slow them down enough to kill them
Timberpack Wolf x 4 --- always nice when you can get 4+ of these
Elvish Visionary --- cantrip 1/1, ideal for rush deck
Deadly Recluse x 2 --- deathtouch+reach means ultimate stall to opponent attacks, with rings and Rancor will create problems
Servant of Nefarox --- Exhault and defend  or become bit nasty attacker with Rancor
Primal Huntbeast  --- when you can't target him, and I put a ring on him, he WILL cause you problems.
Duskmantle Prowler --- Another exhault option, but with haste can help surprise late and give you final damage.

Spells (8):
Crippling Blight x 2 --- early kill and late defense removal
Rancor x 2 --- duh!
Titanic Growth --- cut a creature to keep this, helps push through trample and keeps weenies alive.
Sign in Blood --- rush decks burn through more cards quickly, also can provide last 2 points for the kill
Murder x 2 ---- Unconditional kill, what deck doesn't love that?

Artifacts (2):
Ring of Kalonia x 2 --- Most creatures are Green, grow and trample... allows early plays to become mid-game threats.

Land (16):
Forest x 8
Swamp x 8

I left it blanced in land because I have 3 bb cc cards, and because I have 2 Arbor Elf to help keep green flowing, I really only need 1 green to push out something each turn.  This is definitately at speed rush type deck with most creatures costing 2 or less.  Having 4 Timberpack Wolf should give me some fast beef, along with getting one of the rings out to start growing early.  Not to mention the double Rancor to make even 1/1s look nasty.  I left a few more spells than normal for a rush deck, but that was because they are important to the strategy and keep a color balance.

Also have several Plummets and Naturalize available in sideboard, along with some Disentomb which act as additional creatures if you need more.

Started out thinking B/W exhault, but pretty happy with this result.
Hey everyone,

I just ran through quite a few simulations with my friends and we play tested the strongest variations. As many have noted the black/white exalted removal deck sort of picks itself and is very solid. But we also found a very strong white/blue build. The idea was to avoid taking that very tempting first pack murder and instead take the color-flexible Cathedral of War. Then for the secong pick Sleep is very strong. In fact this is probably one of the most underrated cards in draft. Continue with the Captain's call and Augur. You're going to run into the W/B dual land and two */* creatures, Jace's Phantasm, 3 exhaulted 1/1 flyers, two 7 card mill cards which are very stron in draft, a whole bunch of pacify and Odis. This Blue White deck played as well as the Black/White deck which everyone quickly jumped on.

When drafting try to thing about thinks from multiple angles and stay flexible. You never know what will be passed to you next!
Hey everyone,

I just ran through quite a few simulations with my friends and we play tested the strongest variations. As many have noted the black/white exalted removal deck sort of picks itself and is very solid. But we also found a very strong white/blue build. The idea was to avoid taking that very tempting first pack murder and instead take the color-flexible Cathedral of War. Then for the secong pick Sleep is very strong. In fact this is probably one of the most underrated cards in draft. Continue with the Captain's call and Augur. You're going to run into the W/B dual land and two */* creatures, Jace's Phantasm, 3 exhaulted 1/1 flyers, two 7 card mill cards which are very stron in draft, a whole bunch of pacify and Odis. This Blue White deck played as well as the Black/White deck which everyone quickly jumped on.

When drafting try to thing about thinks from multiple angles and stay flexible. You never know what will be passed to you next!

I agree. Is the u/w deck ur talking about have the stall factor + able to mill? When i drafted i was also able to pick planar cleansing
Round 1:
Cathedral of War
Servant of Nefarox
Cower in Fear
Crippling Blight
Aven Squire
Tricks of the Trade
Disentomb
Rancor
Safe Passage
Warclamp Mastiff
Duty-Bound Dead
Plummet
Arbor Elf
Hydrosurge
Island

Round 2:
Duskmantle Prowler
Murder
Aven Squire
Bloodhunter Bat
Pacifism
Pacifism
Attended Knight
Safe Passage
Show of Valor
Crusader of Odric
Plummet
Mind Sculpt
Kindled Fury
Glorious Charge
Mountain

Round 3:
Odric, Master Tactician
Aven Squire
Duskmantle Prowler
War Falcon
Blood Reckoning
Ring of Thune
Crippling Blight
Mark of the Vampire
War Priest of Thune
Bloodthrone Vampire
Disentomb
Safe Passage
Kraken Hatchling
Serpent's Gift
Island

I chose to keep my options open and went for "Cathedral of War" over "Murder" in P1p1.  I built the deck I anticipated, WB aggro, and I don't regret the choice.  The double black cost can be particularly annoying when you're going land light by focusing on low cc spells; Pacifisms are a better fit, and besides I was able to pick one up in P2.  I jumped at "Cower in Fear", a great spell which in an opponent's hand could crush me.  The "Safe Passages" can protect my board from damage due to mass removal.  Powered by 8 exalted permanents, I LIKE my chances!

Creatures (15)
War Falcon
Warclamp Mastiff
Duty-Bound Dead
3 x Aven Squire
War Priest of Thune
Bloodthrone Vampire
Attended Knight
Crusader of Odric
Servant of Nefarox
Odric, Master Tactician
2 x Duskmantle Prowler
Bloodhunter Bat

Other Spells (10)
2 x Crippling Blight
2 x Pacifism
Show of Valor
Ring of Thune
2 x Safe Passage
Cower in Fear
Murder

Land (15)
7 x Plains
7 x Swamp
Cathedral of War

Notable Sideboard
2 x Disentomb
Glorious Charge
Safe Passage
Blood Reckoning
Mark of the Vampire

I started-out B/W, but I took a gamble on the Timberpack Wolf lottery, and a late Rancor made me give green stronger consideration.  I continue to keep my options open in B, G, and W; not sure if I would end-up 2 colors or possibly splashing a third.  In pack 3, the white bombs showed-up in force and the Timberpack Wolf lottery fully got there.  I almost would not have splashed black at all, since some of the cards aren't ideal for splashing, but I came-up short on ideal green and white playables.  If someone had ESP, they would have probably went G/W from the beginning, and probably took a few more fatties, although I don't remember seeing many in these packs.

Round 1:
Murder
Servant of Nefarox
Pacifism
Timberpack Wolf
Aven Squire
War Falcon
Timberpack Wolf
Rancor
Safe Passage
Warclamp Mastiff
Duty-Bound Dead
Plummet
Arbor Elf
Hydrosurge
Island

Round 2:
Aven Squire
Murder
Quirion Dryad
Bloodhunter Bat
Pacifism
Pacifism
War Priest of Thune
Safe Passage
Plummet
Prey Upon
Crippling Blight
Disentomb
Kindled Fury
Smelt
Mountain

Round 3:
Odric, Master Tactician
Planar Cleansing
Pacifism
Timberpack Wolf
Farseek
Prey Upon
Yeva's Forcemage
Mark of the Vampire
Arbor Elf
Timberpack Wolf
Disentomb
Safe Passage
Angel's Mercy
Serpent's Gift
Island

The deck:
Arbor Elf
War Falcon
2 Aven Squire
4 Timberpack Wolf
Quirion Dryad
War Priest of Thune
Yeva's Forcemage
Servant of Nefarox
Bloodhunter Bat
Odric, Master Tactician

Rancor
Prey Upon
Farseek
4 Pacifism
Mark of the Vampire
Planar Cleansing

2 Swamp
8 Plains
7 Forest
U/W/b for me.  Very minimal in the way of exalted, but there is some in there.  I'm fully on board with the mill train because it's fun and because nothing else viable was coming my way.

Round 1:
Cathedral of War Flexible.  Powerful.
Sleep  Good blue card.  Blue seems good.  always.
Pacifism solid limited removal.
Augur of Bolas efficient critter with medium sized butt to hide behind.
Aven Squire exalted works
Augur of Bolas another auger is nice
Mind Sculpt sure.  why the hell not.
Glacial Fortress color fixins
Index nothing else here, but this may actually end up in the deck
Mind Sculpt let's do this
Duty-Bound Dead black splash for more exalted?
Unsummon whatevs
Arbor Elf whatevs
Hydrosurge whatevs
Island whatevs

Round 2:
Duskmantle Prowler Eh...exalted?
Rise from the Grave Suuuuwwwweet
Crippling Blight I need more removal
Kitesail evasion=good
Archaeomancer sure, I can use something to get my mind scuplts back
Tormented Soul good with exalted
Warclamp Mastiff good with exalted
Gem of Becoming for my black splash
Downpour sure, why not
Crusader of Odric why is this still here?  yoink.
Pillarfield Ox critter filler
Mind Sculpt figured it would table and here it is.
Kindled Fury whatevs
Smelt whatevs
Mountain whatevs

Round 3:
Odric, Master Tactician Doooooooooooood.  Yoink
Planar Cleansing Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.  Yoink.
Guardians of Akrasa exalted+fat butt=good for U/W stall deck
Harbor Bandit good with blue and exalted
Kraken Hatchling early butt
Tormented Soul good with exalted
Ring of Evos Isle seems good to me
Wind Drake flying
Rewind we'll see if this happens or not.  not likely
Courtly Provocateur again, we'll see
Door to Nothingness because why the frack not
Downpour meh.
Plummet whatevs
Serpent's Gift whatevs
Island whatevs

Creatures (16)

Non-Creatures (7)
[deck]
1x Pacifism
3x Mind Sculpt
1x Gem of Becoming
1x Sleep
1x Planar Cleansing
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
1x Cathedral of War
1x Glacial Fortress
4x Swamp
5x Island
6x Plains
[/deck]

Creatures - 16
1-4
2-3
3-4
4-4
5-1
6-0

Non-Creatures-7
1-0
2-4
3-1
4-1
5-0
6-1

Total-23
1-4
2-7
3-5
4-5
5-1
6-1

Mana base is a little bit shaky, but I think it will manage ok because there are only 3 double weight cards at 4 cmc and 1 triple weight card at 6 cmc.  Between that, the glacial fortress, and the gem of becoming I THINK this will work out.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Sign In to post comments