Can someone help clarify this blocking/attacking rule for me..

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Me and my friends only play casual so we don't have judges or anything to help us out so hopefully you guys can

Here's my question, when someone attacks say I blocked with an Avatar of Woe, could I then tap my avatar of woe and destroy something and the other creature is still considered blocked?
Also in relation to that question, say I attack with a creature with vigilance, then tap it, would it still be attacking?
1) Yes, tapping a blocker or using one of its abilities does not cause it to stop blocking, and it will deal and receive damage as normal. In fact, killing the blocker does not cause it to stop blocking (although it won't receive or deal any damage in that situation).

You could use the [C]Avatar of Woe[/C] to destroy one of his other attackers for example. This killed attacker won't deal any damage, even if unblocked, because it died before the game got to the Combat Damage step.

2) Yes, tapping an attacking or using one of its abilities does not cause it to stop attacking.
Yes, tapping a blocker or using one of its abilities does not cause it to stop blocking, and it will deal and receive damage as normal. In fact, killing the blocker does not cause it to stop blocking (although it won't receive or deal any damage in that situation).

Yes, tapping an attacking or using one of its abilities does not cause it to stop attacking.

But you can tap a creature in response to it attacking so it isn't considered attacking, correct?
And thank you so much for your help!
Tapping or untapping a creature does not remove a creature from combat. So yes, you can activate your Avatar of Woe after having it declared as blocker. It will still deal and recieve combat damage, unless its ability destroys the attacker it blocked (this does remove the attacker from combat but not the Avatar)

I just started up a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Yes, tapping a blocker or using one of its abilities does not cause it to stop blocking, and it will deal and receive damage as normal. In fact, killing the blocker does not cause it to stop blocking (although it won't receive or deal any damage in that situation).

Yes, tapping an attacking or using one of its abilities does not cause it to stop attacking.

But you can tap a creature in response to it attacking so it isn't considered attacking, correct?

No, you cannot respond to the declaration of attackers or blockers. Those are turn based actions. If you want to prevent a creature from attacking/blocking, you have to do so before it is declared as attacker/blocker, without knowing if your opponent intends to declare it. The latest chance  to do so is in the beginning of combat step (for attackers) or the declare attackers step (for blockers) after attackers have been declared.

I just started up a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

not quite, but kinda ;)

if your opponent rushes into declaring attackers without asking you, you can back the game up to the "begin of combat" step and tap his potential attackers
then he declares the attackers

if you allowed him to declare attackers tapping them at that point will do nothing (they are most likely already tapped)
proud member of the 2011 community team
But you can tap a creature in response to it attacking

It's very unclear what you are asking. You have to tap it to attack with it unless it has Vigilance. You can cast spells and use abilities after attackers are declared, but if it's tapped from attacking, you won't be able to pay a cost. e.g. You can't both attack with [C]Avatar of Woe[/C] and use its ability the same turn under normal circumstances.
Oh okay thank you all so much, and yeah we usually don't declare when we're switching phases or anything like that so we'd just say 'now im attacking with these guys" and then we'd respond, but we kind of always understood that it was happening "before" the attack was declared.
This has been very helpful thanks again
1) In fact, killing the blocker does not cause it to stop blocking (although it won't receive or deal any damage in that situation).

Actually, killing the blocker causes it to stop blocking, because a blocking (or attacking) creature that leaves the battlefield is removed from combat. Of course, the attacking creature it was blocking stay blocked. It is perfectly legal for an attacking creature to be blocked by nothing (see Curtain of Light).

Oh okay thank you all so much, and yeah we usually don't declare when we're switching phases or anything like that so we'd just say 'now im attacking with these guys" and then we'd respond, but we kind of always understood that it was happening "before" the attack was declared.

Shortcuts actually make that acceptable. By saying "I'm attacking with these guys", you're offering a shortcut to move to the declare attackers step. Your opponent can refuse your shortcut by say "I do X first".

If he refuses your shortcut, you don't have to attack as you initially said. If he accepts your shortcut (by declaring blockers, for example), you have to do as you said.

Important: In case you missed the addition to my node, make sure you know that you can't both attack with [C]Avatar of Woe[/C] and use its ability the same turn under normal circumstances.
so a creature that has vigilance can attack and also use its tapable ability?

(i.e.) a master decoy with vigilance can attack and also use his tap ability as a fast effect. 
yes
my favourite card is Stonehewer Giant for that
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments