Me, my girlfriend and Magic !!

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all

Recently (to my suprise) my girlfriend showed an interest in Magic. In fact she played DotP until 3 o'clock in the morning!! I'm a relatively new player myself and have played a few games with decks built from the 2012 deckbuilders toolkit and boosters.

We tried to play an actual game last night and I think she was finding it hard to work out what to play and when. Although I suggested playing DotP again for a bit she insisted to carry on (which I liked!) and she did get better each game. We had about 2-3 games until it got too late on the night. I tried to explain what I would do if I had her cards and I think that helped a lot.

My question is where do I go from here? I don't want her to loose interest because I really like the fact she took an interest in the game and I can see she really enjoys it. Do I continue to play with actual cards / build her an easier deck or just keep playing DotP for now?

Thanks!
Tim
DotP is nice, but quite limited
if you want to stay digital you could try MTGO
for $10 you get basically the same cards as in DotP, but you can build decks

if you want to go Paper try the duel decks
they are fun to play against each other because they are tuned for that
proud member of the 2011 community team
Hey, Tim

I just recently started playing myself and picked up DotP and became hooked! My girlfriend also showed interest in playing magic since I was so engulfed by it so I had her play DotP for a few games. She loves it! We decided to play a few games and she became frustrated with the green/red deck I had built from the 2012 deckbuilder's toolkit I bought against my white/blue. We traded decks and she started kicking my butt! Changing decks around definitely increased her interest (probably because she could actually beat me).

I'm hoping we can keep mixing things up and playing differnt decks. The next step I want to take with her is trying to improve on the decks I've built and have her be involved in that process so she understands how each card interacts. If this goes well, I may buy her a Fat Pack or something for her own use and see how she does with that.

Keep me posted on how things go for you!

Derrek 

Thanks for you replies guys!

I think duel decks could be a good idea, after all they are meant to be played against each other and my deckbuilding skills leave a lot to be desired

DotP was fun because she would play and I would just be at the sidelines helping her when needed, which worked out well because it was something we could do together and work like a team to progress through the campaign, If anything she was better than me because she stuck at it where I would have given up and beating nicol bolas was a real achievement!

I will keep you posted how we get on
If you like helping each other out like that, you might also try seeing if there's any Two-Headed Giant events near you (especially Two-Headed Giant Sealed). You'd play as a team and be able to help each other out as much as you like.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

My question is where do I go from here? I don't want her to loose interest because I really like the fact she took an interest in the game and I can see she really enjoys it. Do I continue to play with actual cards / build her an easier deck or just keep playing DotP for now?

First off, congratulatons. Not everyone is so lucky to have a partner play magic. I have the fortune of having a wife who plays, as well as an 8-year old daughter who is quickly becoming a wiz. We play a mix:

- DoTP, but so far we have just one installation that we share, trying to unlock all cards.

- MTGO with the Planeswalkers cards. We have all the PW decks on two accounts, and this is a great format for learning, but someone has to build a bunch of decks. It's also relatively cheap (by no means do you have to buy all the PW decks, even one or two will get you started). I've built about 15 or so PW decks that we pick from when we play, with lots of different archetypes (except blue control/milling, which none of us can stand playing against ).

- With real cards we have a couple of constructed decks we play with, but the format we play the most is pack wars. Open a booster pack, take out the extra land, add 3 of each basic land, and go at it. Lots of fun and a good way to learn mechanics. 
Hreth, booster wars sounds fantastic.. What if you get a card that costs more than 3 to cast? Quite interested in this format.

Over the weekend I gifted her a copy of DotP on steam so we could both play together, we do live in the same house. But this was an easy way for both of us to play while she is still learning!

I might pickup a couple of intro decks next week when RtR is out, how do people find them? - What I mean by that is, will they be ok as starter decks we can play against each other? Or possibly a dual deck, either way something with relatively simple mechanics?

you get a total of 15 lands in your deck (3 of each = 3*5 = 15), so in the end you will be able to cast all your spells ;)

intro decks are bad value, the cards in it are worthless, but at least you get 2 boosters nowadays
if you want a good preconstructed deck wait for the RTR Event Decks that should come out in the coming weeks
or if you don't care about Standard, get the duel decks, they are fun to play against each other
you get a total of 15 lands in your deck (3 of each = 3*5 = 15), so in the end you will be able to cast all your spells ;)

Not always. Elemental Appealp for example. :P

intro decks are bad value, the cards in it are worthless, but at least you get 2 boosters nowadays

I wouldnt put it like that. Sometimes the cards are OK but just not worth the price, and other times the cards are actually good (and sometimes they are worthless... just not always). Plus you get the deck built for you (convenience can add value).

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Not always. Elemental Appeal for example. :P

just draw some mana ramp :p

Exactly. Here are the rules:

www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resources.aspx...

This is the format used at Magic Celebration (at least it was this year).

intro decks are bad value, the cards in it are worthless, but at least you get 2 boosters nowadays if you want a good preconstructed deck wait for the RTR Event Decks that should come out in the coming weeks or if you don't care about Standard, get the duel decks, they are fun to play against each other

I question the wisdom of judging decks simply by their monetary value. Yes, the decks cost more than they are worth on the market, but for someone starting the game it avoids the initial hurdle of deck construction, teaches concepts of how cards work in themes, and is an easy way to get started. I think there is a market for them.

The booster wars sounds like a fun twist of the game. Thanks, guys
Well we're still playing!

Yesterday I ordered a Izzet vs. Golgari duel deck for us to try. Having looked through the cards online I'm really impressed with the decks and think we will have some fun duels!!

Congratulations on still playing. There are two new Return to Ravnica event decks coming out soon too, that may suit you:

www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/productarticle... 
Hey Hreth,

Yea did see the event decks and the intro decks, think I swayed to the intro packs because of the price (I realise the cards aint great) my problem is I don't know when I will be attending an event (if ever) so for casual play thought the intro decks might be ok... If I add a few of my own cards (I do already have quite a few from old sets)

Let's see how we get on with this vs deck, it has been delivered today.

Unfortunatly I am still in work at the moment but can't wait to get back and show her they have arrived!! Will be some magic fun tonight

I'll keep you updated.

Tim
Intro Decks are not worth it, they teach bad habbits for deckbuilding
for casual stick with the duel decks if you want prebuilt decks
Intro Decks are not worth it, they teach bad habbits for deckbuilding
for casual stick with the duel decks if you want prebuilt decks

How could they tech bad habbits for building? They are already built!

Or do you just mean they are not built very well?
exactly, they are not built very well (close to no removal, lots of singletons)

while the Duel Decks "suffer" from this as well to a degree, they have a generally higher powerlevel to compensate
One thing I do when teaching someone how to play is I play at least 2 games with hands revealed. When they make a poor game decision point it out.

It is difficult to try and teach someone how to play MtG if you don't have a perfect handle on it. For example I was a rules advisor and tournament manager for a group of about 20 players in my military unit in Iraq 2009. I taught many people how to play the game and in general they accepted my judgement on game rulings.

With that said if I happened to be playing that day and the ruling went in my favor then it could make for a sticky situation (especially those players who came from other units and didn't know me or trust my integrity). So here is some advice for you when dealing with rules in teaching your GF.

1.) Be consistent - in order to do this you have to have a firm grasp on the rules
2.) If you don't know, say so - If she has a tarmogoyf in play and a land in the graveyard and you play a shock targetting goyf and she says "he's a 2/3 so he doesn't die because your instant went to the graveyard"..... maybe you thought he would die but now you're unsure. If you're unsure about a rules question here is what you do: Always play the rule her way this game but look it up so that next game you'll have the perfect answer. Tell her how you think it should work and that you are going to look it up. At the start of the next session notify her of any rules information you have learned in between sessions.
3.) ensure the decks are properly balanced or if there is a gap in player skill then give her a more powerful decklist to compensate so the games will be 50/50 - Keep in mind the games at home between the two of you are for fun so if one person is winning too often the other will not want to play as much. You don't want to be caught "letting" her win.... just trust me on this... Don't get caught making terrible attacking decisions (like your four creatures which are 2/2 attacking into her 3 creatures which are 4/5 and she's at 15 life..... or you casting a doom blade targetting her 3/3 vanilla when she has a cloudthresher in play).
Don't be too smart to have fun
Just to keep you updated

My girlfriend now wants to play magic more than me!!

I bought her a few bits and bobs from the local shop. A deck builders toolkit, x4 boosters and when I explained they were for my other half the guy in the shop gave me a free 30 card Garruk deck.. What a nice guy!

So a few marathon sessions later, few posts on these forums and we both know the rules a lot better. We have been having some really close games and enjoying it a lot.

She has been swapping out cards and building her own decks! Amazing 

the free 30 card deck is for every new Magic Player ;)

glad you both enjoy the game
the free 30 card deck is for every new Magic Player ;)

glad you both enjoy the game

I take it all back, I never got a free deck!!  

He knew I had been playing for a couple of months though

Cheers for your help Enigma in the Rules forum

I had tried to google rules but it's difficult when you need to find out about a specific card. Although we find what is printed on the card is literally what you do most of the time!!

also rules change over time
a 2 year old thread about a card might not be relevant with today's rules
If your question isnt answered by the Basic Rulebook, look up the card in Gatherer to see the current wording (Oracle text) and check for Rulings at the bottom of the page. If it still hasnt been answered, then you can check the FAQs in the Rules Q&A forum, or the Set FAQ for the set that the card was released in (although be careful here since old Set FAQs arent updated when the rules change - they are historic documents). If all that fails you can try to check the Comprehensive Rulebook yourself (Ctrl+F to find key words or phrases - dont try to read if from start to finish), or post a thread asking the question in Rules Q&A.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)