Grave Betrayal?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question about Grave Betrayal. If somebody uses something to destroy all non-land permanents, does Grave Betrayal see the creatures dying and trigger, or no? 

Question about Grave Betrayal. If somebody uses something to destroy all non-land permanents, does Grave Betrayal see the creatures dying and trigger, or no? 

Yes, it triggers. All the creatures you didn't control will return under you control.

It's a special rule for leaves-the-battlefield triggers, specifically allowing it.

603.6c. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent moves from the battlefield to another zone, or when a phased-in permanent leaves the game because its owner leaves the game. These are written as, but aren't limited to, "When [this object] leaves the battlefield, . . ." or "Whenever [something] is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, . . . ." An ability that attempts to do something to the card that left the battlefield checks for it only in the first zone that it went to. An ability that triggers when a card is put into a certain zone "from anywhere" is never treated as a leaves-the-battlefield ability, even if an object is put into that zone from the battlefield.

603.6d. Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. Continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities must be treated specially. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out, abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library, abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached, abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object, and abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane will trigger based on their existence, and the appearance of objects, prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to "look back in time" to determine if these abilities trigger.

[<o>]
yes, it does

it will trigger for each opponent's creature that died and upon resolution of those triggers, a delayed trigger is created for each of those cards, to return it during the next end step

note: noncreature cards can be returned too, provided they were destroyed as creatures
eg. an animated Inkmoth Nexus dies, it'll return (but just as a land) with a +1/+1 counter and be black (but not be a zombie)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Thanks for the quick answers! 
Just won a game of commander thanks to that. 
So this is true even if ALL non land permanents are destroyed ? Wouldnt grave berayal go to the grave at the same time as everything else ? Wouldnt a spell that destroys all non land permanents resolve and instantly remove all from play ?

Yes, they are all destroyed at the exact same time, and grave betrayal can "see" anything that is destroyed at the same time that it is. 

The relevant rule is quoted above by will_dice, but the example was omitted so here it is again:

603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. Continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities must be treated specially. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out, abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library, abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached, abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object, and abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane will trigger based on their existence, and the appearance of objects, prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to "look back in time" to determine if these abilities trigger.

Example: Two creatures are on the battlefield along with an artifact that has the ability "Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life." Someone plays a spell that destroys all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments. The artifact's ability triggers twice, even though the artifact goes to its owner's graveyard at the same time as the creatures.

Yes. Even if ALL permanents get destroyed at the same time, the rule quoted above (603.6d), though its exact wording and number may have changed a little (or not) still exists, and it tells us, that we check the game state prior to that event in order to figure out, which abilities trigger. At which time the enchantment was still on the battlefield and thus in the correct zone to trigger its ability. So it triggers.

Alright, on this topic I have to ask. With this card if I take over someone's creature and I am it's controller what happens when it dies. The reason I ask is do I lose control of it and does it go back into his graveyard or does it go into my graveyard.  The reason why I ask this is because if his creature goes into my graveyard then I can whip it back later. Sorry to ask, but I am just recently getting back into magic and am wondering about this card.

You can never have a card you don't own ("own" in Magic means you started the game with that card in your library) in your library, hand, graveyard, or command zone. It will always go to its owner's corresponding zone.

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

Furthermore, because you controlled the creature when it died, Grave Betrayal won't trigger (for that creature).

Sign In to post comments