option to use actual mana instead of evolving wilds?

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
 ok i was just wandering why did magic set up the dual mana decks for better chance of land locking? if you look at a single mana deck like crosswinds or obediant dead or whatever ull see for a 60-61 card deck you got 25 lands. well when you look at dual mana decks like all new dlc is...ull see a solid 21 lands for same 60-61 card ratio now i know theres like 4 evolving wilds equalivent in each dual mana decks, but can't i have choice of having solid mana instead?
idk how many times ive lost a game when i really needed to put a high cost creature out and need pull out solid land to win..then pull out evolving wilds and haft to wait another turn..and its too late.

agree with me if you like or disagree but please explain yourselves and don't be disrespectful while doing it.    
I tend to like the evolving wilds in a lot of decks....they slow you down a bit in that the land is tapped but it cycles land out of your deck and makes your draw a little better...the other upside is you get to pick the color you need.
good point but id rather have the solid land then anything even if its random land you get or whatever late game it usually doesn't matter but get a evolving wilds late game kinda a wasted mana turn cuz only need one land more to play and definite killer to some decks like mindstorms where every land you need right away but it does work for some decks like SS where you need precise mana of 2 green to cast troll and elder.
Overall, Evolving Wilds really is better than four regular lands. In a multicolor deck, having the right colors of mana is really important. Not being able to cast anything in your hand because you have the wrong lands is a terrible, terrible feeling.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Why oh why can't we get dual colored lands instead of evolving winds/terramorphic expanse?
I completely agree the core set duals would be perfect.
It's obviously too late for this version but hopefully the next big thing with Duels 2014 is the introduction of a mana pool.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Still think we need Fastbond.
Imo.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

completly agree need mana pools...or even i laugh so hard at this, bolos artifact lands that cost nothing lmao
I don't get it why they have a whopping 4 of them. Evolving Wilds is a good card for a multi-color deck. But not 4 of them! 2 is enough. 4 is for decks with MORE than 2 colors.
Gamer, 4 mana fixers is ok for a 2 colour deck. For it to be reliable you would need 8. I would never drop and wilds from these decks.
We want ZDK/ONS Fetches

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

How about Sol Ring

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

How about Sol Ring

No mana pool in duels devil, and fastbond is a banned card anyway, lol. Not that it stopped panoptic mirror, but still...

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
How about Sol Ring

No mana pool in duels devil, and fastbond is a banned card anyway, lol. Not that it stopped panoptic mirror, but still...

Cathedral of War: "Am I really that rarely run that I've been forgotten already?"
How about Sol Ring

Cathedral of War: "Am I really that rarely run that I've been forgotten already?"

Yup. Still, no actual pool though, just taps when you need it. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
How about Sol Ring

I'm hoping Mana Pool is the next major thing they add, preferably in DotP 2014. Adding it would open up so many options in usable cards.
Gamer, 4 mana fixers is ok for a 2 colour deck. For it to be reliable you would need 8. I would never drop and wilds from these decks.

In dual color decks with few cards that require 2 mana of one color you don't need fetch lands at all.  24 lands, 12 of each color, would be plenty to assure you get the mana you need, assuming a good shuffler.

I've run dozens of two-color decks over the years, including on Magic Online, and plenty of times I haven't had access to dual lands, and guess what?  I had no mana trouble pretty much ever.

Besides that, even if I were wrong, I should have the option of being wrong.  Removing Evolving Wilds/Terramorphics absolutely should add basic lands back in.  It's inexcusable that the game doesn't already do this.  It makes no G Damn sense at all.  This was a problem with Machinations last year, and they kept it in this year.

How about Sol Ring

One can dream. Actually I believe Fastbond is restricted. I have 3 in my Enchantress's Bond deck. Then again I play casual.
Sol Ring on the other hand is banned in all formats.

Show

Banned, restricted...none of this matters in duels anyway it seems. Maybe one day we will see a mana pool of our own anyway. ~sighs~
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
By the way, your avatar needs to wash his hair. Just saying.

Show

I wonder if Wizards could manage to balance a true ramp deck with Omnath in it. Maybe a mono-green landfall/mana ramp deck that's a spiritual successor to Heart of Worlds.
I wonder if Wizards could manage to balance a true ramp deck with Omnath in it. Maybe a mono-green landfall/mana ramp deck that's a spiritual successor to Heart of Worlds.

OMG!
Imagining that card with Bond and Rings on the battlefield and a Lightning Greaves attatched to it

Show

How about Sol Ring

And why would they not be able to do that with Sol Ring? Heck, basic lands do that. I remember back when basic lands said ": add to your mana pool." So if Cathedral and basic lands can be in DotP despite not having an official mana pool, then I don't see why Sol Ring or Llanowar Elves can't.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Let's get wild. Time for a Door to Nothingness mono-green deck.

Show

Lands: 20

Creatures: 21
[deck]4 Birds of Paradise
2 Noble Hierarch
2 Orochi Leafcaller
3 Quirion Elves
2 Urborg Elf
4 Omnath, Locus of Mana
2 Primeval Titan
1 Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
1 Progenitus[/deck]

Instants and Sorceries: 13
[deck]4 Fog
4 Manamorphose
2 Channel the Suns
3 Harmonize[/deck]

Artifacts and Enchantments: 6
[deck]3 Trace of Abundance
3 Door To Nothingness[/deck]
Banned, restricted...none of this matters in duels anyway it seems. Maybe one day we will see a mana pool of our own anyway. ~sighs~

can only hope u_u
Basic lands do still have the text, "Tap: Add (whichever colour mana) to your mana pool." It's just not written directly onto the card, but is granted as an ability for being an Island, Mountain etc.

305.6. The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words “basic land type,” it’s referring to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has the intrinsic ability “{T}: Add [mana symbol] to your mana pool,” even if the text box doesn’t actually contain that text or the object has no text box. For Plains, [mana symbol] is {W}; for Islands, {U}; for Swamps, {B}; for Mountains, {R}; and for Forests, {G}. See rule 107.4a. Also see rule 605, “Mana Abilities.” 
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Basic lands do still have the text, "Tap: Add (whichever colour mana) to your mana pool." It's just not written directly onto the card, but is granted as an ability for being an Island, Mountain etc.

305.6. The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words “basic land type,” it’s referring to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has the intrinsic ability “{T}: Add [mana symbol] to your mana pool,” even if the text box doesn’t actually contain that text or the object has no text box. For Plains, [mana symbol] is {W}; for Islands, {U}; for Swamps, {B}; for Mountains, {R}; and for Forests, {G}. See rule 107.4a. Also see rule 605, “Mana Abilities.” 

Random question... I've been curious about this for a long time, why does blue mana symbolise a U and black B? I know there can't be two B's but why not reversed? Or a different letter like say I? Sorry it's just strange to me and no one has ever given me a real answer.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
There can't be two B's, and U is a letter in "Blue"?
If I had to make a guess its because black comes before blue alphabetically, 'L' can't be used because it would still be ambiguous so {U} is used for blue (coming later in the alphabet than black) and {B} for black. {u} also has the advantage that 'u' isn't a hexidecimal number whereas 'a' in hexadecimal would represent the number 10, so might be used for that purpose in some programming areas.

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.
I think it's even simpler than that, the "U" sound in "Blue" is as memorable as the "B" sound so it's the only option that really makes sense.  In fact the way most people pronounce "Blue" the U is more emphasized than the B.

Having Black be "K", for example, seems like it would be really awkward.

I dunno, it's always made sense to me either way.

In truth, it was because L and A meant 'land' and 'artifact'. So BLAck got to be B, while BLUe had to go as U.

[<o>]
it's because Black is a selfish color, so they took the B for themselves
that left Blue only with U
proud member of the 2011 community team
In truth, it was because L and A meant 'land' and 'artifact'. So BLAck got to be B, while BLUe had to go as U.

The L part is true, but not the A part.

Umm...MaRo's said as much on his blog, A is Artifact in card files, so A couldn't be used for Black. Hence U for Blue.

So it's that simple. I always just thought of the Japanese word for "ocean" or "sea" (Umi. No idea if it's Ocean or Sea, but it's one of those). I'm well aware this game has no Japanese origin (American, right? Anyway, a western country for sure), but it's something I've seen used in multiple cardgames (some from Japan, some from other countries). I watch too much anime I suppose...

Umm...MaRo's said as much on his blog, A is Artifact in card files, so A couldn't be used for Black. Hence U for Blue.

Yep, right here.

L is for Land. A is for Artifact. I'm not a liar. Have a nice day.

[<o>]
Sorry, I was going off another article that only mentions that L was Land.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

I wasn't calling anyone a liar, I just thought the A = Artifact thing was an urban legend.
I think having 4 in some decks is fine, but others, yes I'd like to swap them out for basic lands.

SS needs the wilds because most (i think all) of it's land fetch costs 2 green.  It needs to reliably have 2 forests by turn 3 so for that, the wilds are good.

GM on the other hand, can be built in a way that no card requires more than 1 of either mountain or swamp, or they're straight hybrids.  So for that one, I'd rather have 2 more of each basic land.  Also, it would help out with the speed of the deck.  Nothing sucks worse than to have your Demigod in hand, 4 lands in play, and you draw an evolving wild. 

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I think having 4 in some decks is fine, but others, yes I'd like to swap them out for basic lands.

SS needs the wilds because most (i think all) of it's land fetch costs 2 green.  It needs to reliably have 2 forests by turn 3 so for that, the wilds are good.

GM on the other hand, can be built in a way that no card requires more than 1 of either mountain or swamp, or they're straight hybrids.  So for that one, I'd rather have 2 more of each basic land.  Also, it would help out with the speed of the deck.  Nothing sucks worse than to have your Demigod in hand, 4 lands in play, and you draw an evolving wild. 

good point wilds works for some but not all the dlc decks like one that it doesn't belong in is CM and GM and maybe a little bit in mindstorms maybe since alot of it pretty equal to hybrid