Root Gate power: Can I continue a move action after teleporting through the gate?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Root Gate:
Effect: You create two zones, each one in an unoccupied square in the burst. The zones last until the end of the encounter. When you or any of your allies enters either of the zones, that character can teleport to the other zone as a free action, as long as the destination zone is unoccupied. 

So lets say I spawn the gate 2 squares away from me, I move into the gate, does my turn end after I teleport or can I move 4 more squares after that (assuming I have a move of 6)?

And an obvious corollary: if the gate is one square away from me and I get attacked, if I have an immediate interrupt which lets me move on being attacked (say Leaping Dodge: jump half your speed on being targeted with an attack), I get to first jump 1 square into the gate, then continue my horizontal jump two squares further on the other side of the gate, right?
Depends If you think free actions can interrupt during other actions or not.

If you think free actions can interrupt other actions then yes. 

If you think free actions cannot interrupt other actions then no.

[sblock]

Books don't specifically say they do or don't. And a podcast has the designers say they specifically don't. But doing so has other implications and prevent some free actions designed to be taken during other actions like catching a returning weapon or talking to not work as intended.

Here's a transcription of the 4/6/2012 podcast (15 minutes in): 
From the DDI Mailbag: Just how free are free actions… specifically the free action power of the Dwarven Armor daily power?(reference Dwarven armor daily power). When a wearer is hit, can he use free action between the attack roll and damage roll? 
Mike Mearls: I believe that free actions can't take place in between things like attack roll and damage roll.

Jeremy Crawford: what you're getting at Mike is that in this case he could not use the power in between those two things because the power doesn't have a trigger. Basically the only powers in the game that can mess around with timing are powers with triggers, and then those triggers tell you when you get to break a rule. Because it doesn't say that, you have to use this as a discrete action; not interrupting other actions. 
Mike: So it can't take place in the middle of another action.

Jeremy: Exactly.

Rodney Thompson: That may be true specifically for this action because it's the wearer using it between the phases of another character’s actions, but how does that account for the warden? We've said in the past that at any point during a move you can use a free action to mark and then continue that move.

Jeremy: That’s really a DM's call because the default assumption of the system is that the warden has to do it before the move action or at the end of it. Actions don't divide each other up (later) in my campaign I have a Warden and I let him do exactly what you describe: he can interrupt himself. It’s just that by the rules: we're breaking the rules. But this is what D&D is about. (later) Early on in the process we didn't have a concept of no action. If we were going to do this power now, it wouldn't be a free action.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thanks fellow Montrealer ;) Do you play at Gamer's Vault?
No but i often do at Le Valet d'Coeur  ;)

You're welcome !

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Given that there's an explicit reaction step between every square of movement, I think that your comments aren't correct, Plague.  it's pretty clear that you can go through Root Gate during a move action, and continue out the other side.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Its not pretty clear otherwise the OP wouldn't ask.  Wink

We are not talking about triggered actions here but regular free actions. If you think free actions must be taken in order just like minor, move and standard actions, then no they won't be taken between two steps of movement. If you think free actions can be taken during other actions then yes they will.

[sblock]

RC 98 The Actions of A Turn: 
The Three Main Actions: A creature gets the following three actions on its turn: Standard action, Move action, Minor action   
Free Actions: The creature can take any number of Free actions on its turn. 
Any Order: The creature can take its actions in any order and can skip any of them 
Action Points: If a character has an Action Point, it can take an extra action on its turn by spending an Action Point as a Free action.

Yan
Montréal, Canada