(Post Rotation) CorpseJunk Midrange

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

NOTE: Cavern of Souls is currently Transguild Promenade
NOTE: Temple Garden is currently Sunpetal Grove
NOTE: Ultimately, the deck will include 2x Ajani, Caller of the Pride

*DECKLIST UPDATED - NOVEMBER 3*

~~~~

FNM RECORD (NOV 2) 1-4: My most difficult matchup is Zombies. I lost one of the games due to a sideboard error when I misread Oak Street Inkeeper and then played it incorrectly. The sideboard was changed to what it looks like now following the tourney.  I also lost a Junk mirror match who had Vraska and kept me on the defensive after she hit the table.  The deck was very competitive in every game, despite the record.

~~~~

As soon as I saw Corpsejack Menace, I was very excited.  It was a fun card and made a bunch of my favourite cards better like Mikaeus, the Lunarch and Champion of Lambholt.  So after fiddling around with things a bit, I eventually put this together.

I want this to be a reasonably competitive FNM style deck... my biggest problem last "season" was that my deck would lose to the more efficient human decks because their deck was more focussed than my slightly wackier version. So I'm hoping to find a middle ground between my rogue-ish tendencies and my desire to win.[/quote]
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Very interesting deck. Definitely my kind of deck. I don't have much suggestions for improvements. Llanowar Elves wasn't reprinted in M13 so Arbor Elf instead. Precinct Captain doesn't really fit in with the deck's theme and double white can be a pain in a tri colored deck so I would probably replace those. I like Deranged Outcast more than most people. It fits the deck theme and might work out well here. Or Lingering Souls.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Jeez, no Birds AND no Dorks?  Me no likey. Arbor Elf it is.
Deranged Outcast also seems like a good idea, thanks.

~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
I started playtesting... turns out there was too much mana fixing I trimmed the number of lands and cut the Avacyn's Pilgrims. I also wasn't reliably getting the Menace in time, so I added Jarad's Orders as a tutor, although its kind of costly since I just need a tutor and have no use for putting a creature in my graveyard.  Any other solutions I'm not thinking of?
I actually have a similar brew in the works. Ajani, Caller of the Pride is your frend here. I don't really think you need travel preparations, so I would move the tragic slip to fill this slot, or add Murder. One issue you will likely face is board sweepers which right now are limited to Bonfire, Mutilate, and Verdict. While GW has no board wipe, he have a defense against it in Rootbound Defenses. The Golgari ability Scavage will also be hot once the Zombie hate cools off as Zombies as an archtype will take a hit once players get a fast for the tempo set of RTR, but in this deck it adds counters for your guys on the board. 

Example:
Jarad's Tutor, take Corpsejack, pitch Deadbridge Golaith, savage for 10

You could also drop Corpsejack to two or three if you're tutoring. 4 is only for cards you want to see in your opening hand when you have the mana to play them. 

I might be misreading the value, but my initial passes of the set, I haven't seen too many creatures with Scavenge that are that impressive on their own, but I will give it a second look now that I have Jarad's Orders.  I agree with your rule of thumb regarding 4 ofs, but the problem that I was having is that I wasn't drawing the Corpsejack Menace enough... maybe I should reduce some other four ofs to three?

You may be right about Travel Preparations, its kind of a pet card though, and its one of the cards that are nuts with the Menace out. But, I'll do some more testing to see if it would be better to have a removal spell in there. I forgot about Murder too, so thanks for the suggestion.
actually, there are some good Scavenge'rs.  I might add a little Scavenge toolbox.
I actually have a similar brew in the works. Ajani, Caller of the Pride is your frend here.

I agree, that's awesome... do you think I have a strong enough manabase to handle the in his cost though?

EDIT: What do you think of the list now?
I've been working on a similar list a little bit, although I don't have all the numbers worked out yet. It's not entirely focused on Corpsejack Menace,  but I think he works in it anyway. Something like

Something like that anyway, Gavony Township would be probably be a 2-3 of, with vault of the archangel as a 1 of but it might need to go up to 25 lands for that. I would need to change numbers around or cut some cards altogether, but I was thinking of running Call of the Conclave as a 2 drop, and then you could run Sundering Growth as a sideboard card. It's fine with Armada Wurm and stuff already, although I guess it doesn't work all that well with Jarad. Grisly Salvage also seems like it might be okay with a decent amount of flashback and scavenge, as well as powering up Deathrite Shamans a bit.
I would add a set of Arbor Elves for sure, the guys are very useful. and Mikaeus is amazing with a Menace out, which you should have a reasonable chance of having out.

turn 1: elf,
turn 2: Dreg Mangler
turn 3: Menace
turn 4: Thragtusk
turn 5: Mikaeus (8/8)
turn 6: Armada Wurm.
-> remove a counter from Mikaeus & attack with..
Menace: 6/6
Thragtusk 7/5
Dreg Mangler 5/5
...with a pair of 7/7 wurms hanging around for defense!

or, if you want to give Champion of Lambholt a try (and she's awesome, so why not)...

Turn 1: Elf
Turn 2: Champion of Lambholt
Turn 3: Menace (Champion of Lamholt is a 2/2)
Turn 4: Thragtusk (Champion of Lambholt is a 4/4)
Turn 5 Mikaeus (Champion of Lamholt is a 6/6)
Turn 6: Armada Wurm (Champion of Lambholt is a 10/10)
Same attack as before, except this time none of your creatures can be blocked by anything less than a 10/10... so you pretty much win.)

in both cases, after turn 3 you are really putting a lot of pressure on your opponent to deal with you fast, or die. Heck, after turn 6 they are screwed royally. unless they can sweep the board. There's just too many things that can kill you no matter what they remove.

I think there are going to be a lot of great junk decks that could be built in the new Standard. Your deck is probably more resiliant than mine, but will need a bit more of a complicated manabase so that you can handle the double mana spells.
Is there any particular reason that you're not running Rancor?
It seems like it would be a nice way of ensuring that you're punching damage through. Although I suppose Champion of Lambholt is there for that.
I'm not a huge fan of the Troll here mostly because it seems that you would rather be playing most of your creatures than pitching them to him.
Maybe something like Jarad to Fling things if you get stalled mid/late game?
I tested Rancor quite a bit... it wasn't really making enough of a difference, and there were usually other things I would want to cast when I had it in hand. Plus you're right about Lambchops filling a similar niche.

I don't know either way about the Troll... my thought was if things weren't going my way (Say my Champions all had some very tragic slips) and the board was clogged, he'd be a good way of turning things around. Plus, he gets 2 counters per pitch if the Menace is out... and if the board is clogged, a growing, trampling, troll is not a bad thing to have around.  I'll see what happens.
What about Blessing of Nature or Increasing Savagery?  

With blessing of nature thats 8 +1+1 counters for a mana cost of 1, seems pretty good to me!   
I've got Blessings in the Sideboard... Game one I want to have the removal spell in there instead, then when I know what I'm facing I can decide if I need more punch, or more interactivity.
I'm working on a deck like this, I've realized that corpsejack menace and primordial hydra are a pretty lethal combination. Did you think about running them in this deck?
This deck could definitely use some work.  Bond Beetle?  Drop those for two more Avacyn's Pilgrim.  Predator Ooze's GGG is hard when ur playing three colors, so mana fixing and an improved mana base is necessary.  Im not even going to comment on the sideboard, for thats not the focus here.  I think this deck could do well, but a different build seems necessary.  
Okay, I took the deck to an FNM this weekend.  Afterwards, I made some changes because the deck's toughest matchup is against Zombies.  I also discovered I needed a way to deal with Planeswalkers.  Overall, there's a lot of good things about the deck, and I think its close to being something special.

Any changes you would recommend would be appreciated, especially in terms of dealing with Zombie decks, Planeswalkers, or better replacements for the lands I don't have yet.
Is there any particular reason that you're not running Rancor?
It seems like it would be a nice way of ensuring that you're punching damage through. Although I suppose Champion of Lambholt is there for that.
I'm not a huge fan of the Troll here mostly because it seems that you would rather be playing most of your creatures than pitching them to him.
Maybe something like Jarad to Fling things if you get stalled mid/late game?

- Rancor is now in the deck.  That was one of the lessons I learned at this weekend's FNM.
- Troll is also worth the price of admission. He's a great plan B, or an early threat while waiting for the Corpsejack plan to come together. I've actually cut the Deranged Outcasts, because when I have creatures on the table, I don't often want to sac them... but I usually do have something in hand that I can pitch to the Troll without missing it too much... like Mana fixers if I've got the mana base in good shape.
Anyone?