Steak Frites "W/U/g/b Graveyard Bullshit"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

So, I was **** around with decklists a few nights ago when I decided to build around a list of criteria. According to my scribbles, that list of criteria was rather simple...

"Whatever color has the most inherent CA."

With my extensive critera in mind, I began to build. I began to build, and build to this magnificent... list. Yeah, it was basically just a list of cards that looked kinda cool. AND FROM THIS MAGINIFCENT LIST ROSE A pretty neat deck. A deck which, afterwards, I realized was almost entirely grave dependant. Thus, also in scribbles at the top of this sheet of scribbles... circled, crossed out, written again and bolded so that you can see it through the scribbles, is "U/W/g/b Graveyard Bullshit".

The deck is, admittedly, kinda a pile. In fact, it's pretty much entirely a pile. But it works! Kinda. It at least works well enough that I'm taking time to type it up.

Landx21
1xForest
2xIsland
1xPlains
1xSwamp
2xDrowned Catacomb
4xEvolving Wilds
1xGavony Township
4xGlacial Fortress
4xHallowed Fountain
1xTemple Garden

Creaturesx10
3xSnapcaster Mage
2xTower Geist
2xThragtusk
3xDeathrite Shaman

Other Spellsx29
4xLingering Souls
1xDispel
2xForbidden Alchemy
2xSyncopate
1xTamiyo, the Moon Sage
4xThought Scour
2xUnburial Rites
2xAzorius Charm
4xDetention Sphere
3xSupreme Verdict
4xAzorius Keyrune
----------------------------
Sideboard
1xDeathrite Shaman
3xDispel
1xTamiyo, the Moon Sage
4xPithing Needle
6xSuper Secret Tech

Yaaaaaaaaaaay! Decklist! Anyway, so far, it's been pretty neat. Since most people are playing X/X Bullshit (like yours truly), I can't really say what it works too well against. However, I can say that it works.

Something I would like to change is to replace the Tower Geists. They're cute, but they're not all that and a bag of potato chips.

Note that "mana sinks" are relatively out of the picture. This deck gets way too many cards and it's pretty much always tapped out.

Speaking of mana, I need to work on the mana-base. It's not failing, but it does have kinks. Also, it's never happened, but I really don't want to accidentally mill away my sources of black and green.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
why don't you augur of bolas over bad geists? 

^I agree

By the construction of your deck, it seems that the overall plan is to cast supreme verdict and then win. Maybe bump it up to 4 copies? Perhaps Oblivion ring? bump Thragtusk to 3 to improve interaction with unburial rites.  

Think with that much card draw you don't need more than 3 of anything you want.

So, since I know its a terrible idea, I'll get it out of the way before the noobs post. DIVINATION!!! OOOOOH YEAH TWO FOR ONE!!!! WOO CA!!!!
Now that we are back from our trip to five years ago, Augur is great in this deck methinks. I am also in the Terminus camp for any deck not planning to win in the first five turns. At least have it SB.
Oh, and -1 Dispel main, +1 Thragtusk. Because 3 Dispel SB is enough to beat the heck outta anything wanting to play instants. I like the idea of it giving you access to all your mana in a turn, but I like Syncopate for that job more. 

Nice name, and nice criteria to build your deck.

(at)MrEnglish22

I'd avoid the name Frites.
Also, not convinced a 4th colour is worth it.

Because doesn't grab non-instants/sorceries. Because it doesn't pitch cards into the graveyard. Because it doesn't fly. Because it's not a 2/2. Because I don't want Augur of Bolas or Tower Geist.

Think with that much card draw you don't need more than 3 of anything you want.

I am also in the Terminus camp for any deck not planning to win in the first five turns. At least have it SB.
Oh, and -1 Dispel main, +1 Thragtusk. Because 3 Dispel SB is enough to beat the heck outta anything wanting to play instants. I like the idea of it giving you access to all your mana in a turn, but I like Syncopate for that job more.

Yeah, I quickly noticed that. I've been gradually shoving more and more down one copy.

Digging through the Wrath effects, I initially had Terminus in the original rough draft. It was an awful plan. Good card. Not good with deck. Thought Scour, even though its instant, is sometimes cast in the mainphase or on the last stick of mana. Azorius Charm has been snap-cast back. It's one more mana to snap-cast back than Supreme Verdict. It ruins Thragtusk+Unburial Rites.

Thragtusk is ****ing sick with Unburial Rites. I've already tossed in +1x more.

I had considered cutting Dispel, but it actually turned out to be incredible. Mana is so tight in this deck. One in a hundred turns sees me not tapping out. Having a 1cc counter, even if it's so limited, solves an infinite number of problems. I'm actually considering cutting the Syncopates for another copy of Dispel and something else. I honestly don't have the mana to make Syncopate work.

Not convinced a 4th colour is worth it.

Which color would you be considering the fourth? The most obvious one in my opinion would be green, but that would cut Thragtusk. Which is without a doubt the best at his job. Black would get rid of the Thragtusk enabler Unburial Rites and it would kill off Lingering Souls and it would kill off the better half of Deathrite Shaman and it would kill off the "I'm bored" function of Forbidden Alchemy.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
So, since I know its a terrible idea, I'll get it out of the way before the noobs post. DIVINATION!!! OOOOOH YEAH TWO FOR ONE!!!! WOO CA!!!!

Nice name, and nice criteria to build your deck.

Golly! How did I forget about Divination?!

In seriousness, it did remind me that Sphinx's Revelation exists. That might be fun as a 1-of. Especially with a snap-cast back.

Also, ty, bebe.

I'd avoid the name Frites.

I shall now use it out of spite.

By the construction of your deck, it seems that the overall plan is to cast supreme verdict and then win.

Nah, I just figure I can Supreme Verdict, so I do. Sometimes I do it on an empty board just as a show of strength and prowess.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
So, should we develop decks named Pomme Frites and Moules Frites.
Not unless they're all variants of FRITES, the reanimation deck.
I don't know or even much care which colour you cut - three colours is overplayed for most decks already based on the available mana. Four is just too many.

It's not that each colour doesn't add individual good things; its in real terms, I.e. win rates, that reveal the 4th colour adds little.
I don't know or even much care which colour you cut - three colours is overplayed for most decks already based on the available mana. Four is just too many. It's not that each colour doesn't add individual good things; its in real terms, I.e. win rates, that reveal the 4th colour adds little.

Irony being that Frites itself was a five-color-pile.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Ok, so, it's been a while, but I think I've settled for this as my go-to for post rotation. Armada Wurm shenanigans aren't as fun/good as I thought it'd be.

With that in mind... changes must be made.

Tamiyo has been removed in favor of another Thragtusk. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing her or Jace again. Maybe even Jace in place of Tower Geist. I only wish he pitched to the grave

1xSyncopate has been removed in favor of another Dispel.

I would like another Unburial Rites and a "toolbox" of creatures it can hit. The criteria being that I must be able to cast them on their own. Considering adding a 1xGriselbrand, but I currently have no way to pitch it if I drew it.

Things that are bad and need to be replaced in relative order:
Lingering Souls
Syncopate
Deathrite Shaman
Tower Geist
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
The only creature that comes to mind for something like this (midrange value?) is Centaur Healer, since he can be thragtusk 5-8. Not anywhere near as efficient, but he clogs up the board ok.

You could always try Grisly Salvage to fill your yard as well.