Elf Surge

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was trying to take the Elf-Wave deck idea and try and migrate it forward to stick around for RtR. This is my preliminary list, but I am certainly open to changing things that need to be changed.

Creatures:
4 Arbor Elf
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Elvish Archdruid
3 Yeva, Nature's Herald
2 Worldspine Wurm
4 Village Bell-Ringer
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
2 Craterhoof Behemoth
2 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
2 Loxodon Smiter  

Spells:
3 Primal Surge
3 Collective Blessing

Lands:
2 Grove of the Guardian
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
10 Forest
3 Plains

The deck lost Genesis Wave, but it still have Primal Surge, which can do work on its own, since it is by itself the only spell that would stop a surge. I amy up the number of Craterhoof's, since they are awesome, and can be their own win-condition. Worldspine Wurm was my original reason for trying to put this list together, but as I looked at it, it does seem pretty nice, especially if they fail to kill your mana dorks by T3 r 4, becasue if you can pop out a Collective Blessing then your creatures should all be safe from getting killed by most spells.
Nice, I like it!
I am currently brainstorming for an elf deck myself. This is what I came up with:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

But I might have to try something like this too.
You are aware that the ONLY creature that Mwonvuli Beast Tracker can tutor up is Worldspine Wurm yes?

It cannot fetch you Craterhoof Behemoth as that only grants trample with its ETB it doesnt have it as a static effect
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
You are aware that the ONLY creature that Mwonvuli Beast Tracker can tutor up is Worldspine Wurm yes?

It cannot fetch you Craterhoof Behemoth as that only grants trample with its ETB it doesnt have it as a static effect

Yea I know he can only find Worldspine, but I'm okay with that. I may cut him entirely in favor of maybe another elf of some kind. Like I said, my original intent was to be able to consitantly cast Worldspine Wurm, and he helped tutor it for me, without me having to run too many wurms.
-1 Primal Surge, -2 Worldspine Wurm, -2 Muwhkjhas Beast Tracker, -1 Collective Blessing, -1 Yeva,  + some number of Thragtusk, + some number of lands (like 2), + some number of Centaur Healer, +1 Craterhoof Behemoth

(at)MrEnglish22

-1 Primal Surge, -2 Worldspine Wurm, -2 Muwhkjhas Beast Tracker, -1 Collective Blessing, -1 Yeva,  + some number of Thragtusk, + some number of lands (like 2), + some number of Centaur Healer, +1 Craterhoof Behemoth

I probably will end up adding a 3rd Craterhoof, as well as taking out the trackers. Thragtusk is interesting. I don't really see why I need to run 25 land in a non-control deck, especially given that I have 12 ramp sources, and 4 "cantrip" in Elvish Visionary. Yeva is legendary, which sucks, but I almost certainly want to get 1 out every game so that I can ramp and do stuff on their turn and swing for game the next turn hopefully. As a side note, I plan on keep Worldspine Wurm, as he is the reason i wanted to run this deck to begin with. I also think I am going to take out Loxodon Smiter, since I don't really like what he is doing besides being a 4/4 (which is great), but without any other ability it is just kind of blah. Thragtusk may take his place since he does more cool things.
If you want to play a 10+ mana spell EVER, you will need 25 lands no matter how much ramp you have (unless every non-10 mana spell ramps you)

(at)MrEnglish22

Honestly, this deck is going a long way to do something relatively simple. I think preboard there isn't a need for many threats other than Worldspine Wurm, and the rest of the deck should involve acceleration, removal and card economy.

61 Cards

Sideboard a bunch of :U: removal (Detention Sphere, Silent Departure, Devastation Tide, Cyclonic Rift), spare wincons, fogs etc. Play to card economy, sandbag and remove as needed. It's a fairly simplistic engine.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Honestly, this deck is going a long way to do something relatively simple. I think preboard there isn't a need for many threats other than Worldspine Wurm, and the rest of the deck should involve acceleration, removal and card economy.

61 Cards

Sideboard a bunch of :U: removal (Detention Sphere, Silent Departure, Devastation Tide, Cyclonic Rift), spare wincons, fogs etc. Play to card economy, sandbag and remove as needed. It's a fairly simplistic engine.

This is certainly a pretty solid list, but it is so far from what I originally wanted to do that I don't really want to even try it. The original idea is to potentially drop a solid portion of my deck on T4. If the wipe the board, well, that sucks, but it will still be fun to do it, and it will work a few times the way I want, which is the plan. This is more of a control aspect, which could work to get out Worldspine, but ti will take you about 8+ turns to do so, since there isn't any real ramp. Again not a bad idea, but this list is just vastly different than my original elf ramp that I can't really//don't want to do it until I test the elf ramp at least a few times.

As a side note, I think I now agree on adding some lands, Might start with 24 lands (as is the standard number for most decks), and see how that goes. I will also add some other ramp stuff over Loxodon Smiters and Beast trackers like Dawnbreaker Elk or Somberwald Sage. Also taking out 1 Village Bell-Ringer and adding a 3rd Craterhoof Behemoth
I came up with this deck:

Sure, we can add in some Temple Garden in the mana base instead.
Also I guess if you want to play with Primal Surge you can take out Divine Deflection and something else for three copies of that card. Then also substitute Predatory Rampage with Collective Blessing.
Also if you want to play with Worldspine Wurm you can exchange some of the bug guys for him...

What do you think?
I think it looks pretty solid. I wish there were more playable elfves in standard, but oh well, can't really help that. I don't particualrly like Predatory Rampage, mainly beause it doesn't even give trample, so it boosts and makes them block, which is fine, but at that point I would rather have Colelctive Blessing which sticks around (granted for 1 more mana). I will certainly need some SB options for my deck, once people realize how to stop it, so perhaps things like Divine Deflection will serve as a potential place, as well as something like Oak street Innkeeper to give a little protection.
I think it looks pretty solid. I wish there were more playable elfves in standard, but oh well, can't really help that. I don't particualrly like Predatory Rampage, mainly beause it doesn't even give trample, so it boosts and makes them block, which is fine, but at that point I would rather have Colelctive Blessing which sticks around (granted for 1 more mana). I will certainly need some SB options for my deck, once people realize how to stop it, so perhaps things like Divine Deflection will serve as a potential place, as well as something like Oak street Innkeeper to give a little protection.

I must have confused Predatory Rampage with Overrun or something because I thought it handed out trample as well. But as that is not the case I might have to change to Collective Blessing also.

Not sure what I think about Oak street Innkeeper as it only protects against sorcery speed spells and your guys have to be tapped. But might have to test it out anyway...
I know what you mean about Oak Street....but I figure that if you have Yeva out, you can ramp on their turn and theres not much that they cant really do about it (besides killing Yeva), but by that time you could have potentially dropped a Worldspine, or other huge green creature. It would only be a SB card I think, against decks that havea lot of Sorcery removal, such as R/B decks and stuff like that.
This isn't going to be a super popular deck, and i apologize if it annoys people that this is going to get bumped, but I wanted to post some results based on playing at FNM last week, where I went 4-0 and won the whole thing, and had a blast doing it. I have since tweaked the original list after doing some additional playing post tourney against GWU control, and Jund Midrange.

In the tourney itself I played against a Janky Rakdos deck that knocked me down to about 13-15 life before I overwhelmed them with Collective Blessing or Primal Surge. Won 2-0
Next round I played against a UR control deck that resulted in very good games each time, and me winning as a result of a Primal Surge in 2 of the 3 games. Won 2-1
3rd round I played against a GW ramp deck that couldnt quite handle my creatures once Collective Blessing hit the table both games on T3. Followed by a T5 Primal Surge, which ended the game both times after a Craterhoof dropped with about 10 or so creatures already on the board. Won 2-0
In the last round I played against another UR control deck that kind of got screwed with having no quality removal, and after an eary Primal Surge the games were over fairly quickly. Won 2-0

Post Tourney I played against Jund Midrange, which were all very good matchups, I lost 0-3, but should of probably won 2 of the 3 total matches. 1st game his removal took care of my essential mana dorks, and I was hampered pretty badly, and Thragtusk beat my face. Game two he was down to 7, when I swung with a 7/7 Yeva, and he scooped thinking he lost, and then he waited about 2 minutes and tragic slipped to save 1 damage point, and he dropped a thragtusk next turn, and got some removal going, and he eventually won out. A tad controversial, but it was casual, so I didn't care too much. Game 3 was the best game, as it was fairly even, and I had him down to about 12 of so life, casted a Primal Surge, and first card to flip over was another Primal Surge (I've never laughed so hard). Next turn he drop an Olivia, and after a few turns he started taking control of my creatures, and he won that game. I attribute that game to being unlucky, but that happens.
Against GWU control, I discovered that board wipes really, really, really hurt this deck. He won 0-2 against me, as I was never really able to ramp into anything relevant, as he would Supreme Verdict the turn before I could actually do anything. Even still, I was able to make the games decently competitive through the use of Yeva, but Thragtusk really hammered me after awhile. Never was able to cast a Primal Surge in either game, which was a bit depressing.

Overall opinion on the deck it that it is extremely fun to play with, and can do some serious work on T3 or 4 depending on if they use any spot removal to slow you down.
The obvious weakness of the deck is spot removal or board wipes. Since I can't really help with boardwipes, I am just going to have to accept that aspect of the deck being vulnerable, but spot removal I can sort of help by adding Oak Street Innkeeper, as well as Akroma's Memorial. I also didn't like how the deck ran out of steam, and lacked any kind of draw power later on in the game, therefore I've made some changes, which ill post:

Land: 23
1 Grove of the Guardian
2 Plains
12 Forest
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove

Creatures: 29
4 Arbor Elf
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim (Wish there was another 1-drop elf)
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Elvish Archdruid
3 Oak Street Innkeeper (Protection, at least during their turn, plus its an elf)
3 Village Bell-Ringer
3 Yeva, Nature's Herald (Amazing after playing with her)
3 Craterhoof Behemoth (Wins you nearly every game he hits the field)
1 Worldspine Wurm (Taking 1 out lowers curve, and it really only won me 2 games)

Spells: 8
3 Primal Surge
1 Akroma's Memorial (Not much to really explain with this)
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter (Good against control to churn out tokens post board wipe, as well as, drawing cards if needed, or ending a game with the ultimate)
2 Collective Blessing

SB:
2 Rest in Peace (Against zombies mainly)
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 Akroma's Memorial (More protection against heavy removal) (Abrupt Decay and Dreadbore mainly)
2 Staff of Nin (Card draw, plus late game reach, if needed against control)
2 Witchbane Orb
1 Worldspine Wurm
2 Elderscale Wurm (Great against the mirror match, or against RDW, or against tokens, etc.)
2 Curse of Exhaustion (Great against control or miracles to limit their opportunities to cantrip and stuff on my turn, and miracle Terminus)
2 Vorapede (Cheap beater that sticks around after a Boardwipe)

You know...Jarad's creature type is zombie elf...

Just throwing it out there... 
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Even though she's not an elf Avacyn, Angel of Hope would help against board wipes, so she could be a consideration to protect your stuff as well.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
Even though she's not an elf Avacyn, Angel of Hope would help against board wipes, so she could be a consideration to protect your stuff as well.

I do like the idea of Avacyn, I'll have to try her out and see if the WWW cost is problematic, but given that I have 14 W sources, it really shouldn't be. I had contemplated Angel of Serenity to potentially bring stuff back from my graveyard if it should die, but Avacyn seems better overall. What do you think, 1 of or 2 of? or maybe a 1-1 split between SB and MD