Sleep Spell

Here is an alternative Sleep spell, inspired from 2e's Sand Slumber (Al-Qadim). It is to make it more interesting at all levels, but give it a saving throw an not just a "cast and win" effect. 

Sleep

1st level enchantment

You blow sand into the air in the direction of one creature. The creature targetted by the scintillating granules grow drowsy and might fall asleep.

Effect: You choose one creature you can see that is within 100ft of you. That creature makes a wisdom saving throw. If she fails the saving throw she falls unconscious for one round, until she takes damage or someone uses an action to shake or slaps her very hard.  

If the saving throw is successful, the creature is slowed for one round.

Slowed condition:

-Speed is reduced by half, with a minimum of 5ft.  

-There is a -1 penalty on AC and any other roll that is tied to dexterity.  
I don't like the "no save" mechanic either - not just with Sleep but with Charm Person and Command, and al mind affecting spells.

Every spell that does more than just HP damage should allow a save.
Everything expressed in this post is my opinion, and should be taken as such. I can not declare myself to be the supreme authority on all matters...even though I am right!

Sleep does just do HP damage. It just deals HP damage in disguise. It deals 3d8 HP damage, spread around more than one foe, if each foe can be brought to 0 hit points with the damage dealt. Creatures who take damage from sleep can be "healed" from the damage dealt with an action. Personally, I wish all of the save-or-the-creature-is-removed-from-combat effect spells worked like that. You roll damage, and if you roll higher than its current HP the effect takes hold. 

Sleep does just do HP damage. It just deals HP damage in disguise. It deals 3d8 HP damage, spread around more than one foe, if each foe can be brought to 0 hit points with the damage dealt. Creatures who take damage from sleep can be "healed" from the damage dealt with an action. Personally, I wish all of the "save-or-the-creature-is-removed-from-combat effect spells worked like that. You roll damage, and if you roll higher than its current HP the effect takes hold. 

Which would encourage metagaming. 

"Do you think it's HP are low enough now"? 

Players/characters waiting to cast spells until a target is softened up doesn't bother me. It is not really all that different then waiting to ask a question until after you have inflicted a little physical pain (a.k.a. torture). Save-or-die/suck spells that turn fights into swingy affairs, that bothers me quite a bit...

Effect: You choose one creature you can see that is within 100ft of you. That creature makes a wisdom saving throw. If he fails the saving throw she falls unconscious for one round, until he takes damage or someone uses an action to shake or slaps him very hard. 

the correct gender to assign in this case is male in the english langage, please do so unless you want to confuse people, and look like your an idiot.
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
the correct gender to assign in this case is male in the english langage, please do so unless you want to confuse people, and look like your an idiot.

Actually, it is technically correct to use either gender, as long as it's consistent.

As some friendly advice, you may wish to avoid criticizing the grammar of another until you have attained proficiency for yourself.

The metagame is not the game.

Actually, it is technically correct to use either gender, as long as it's consistent.

As some friendly advice, you may wish to avoid criticizing the grammar of another until you have attained proficiency for yourself.

it is one thing to make a mistake, its another to get it wrong on purpose and then to confuse people for no good reason.

male is the default gender in english, you may not like it but it is, when ever you use the female gender readers assume its a for a reason and look back to see what they missed.
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
it is one thing to make a mistake, its another to get it wrong on purpose and then to confuse people for no good reason.

male is the default gender in english, you may not like it but it is, when ever you use the female gender readers assume its a for a reason and look back to see what they missed.

I'm sorry that your English grammar model is obsolete.  It can be quite disorienting for you, personally, when you encounter something like that.

I have a similar issue with typing: I always learned to double-space after a period, to increase legibility, but modern software renders that unnecessary.  I still do it, because that was the way I learned and I see no reason to change.  I'm not going to fault anyone else for not doing it, though.

The metagame is not the game.

I'm sorry that your English grammar model is obsolete.  It can be quite disorienting for you, personally, when you encounter something like that.

I have a similar issue with typing: I always learned to double-space after a period, to increase legibility, but modern software renders that unnecessary.  I still do it, because that was the way I learned and I see no reason to change.  I'm not going to fault anyone else for not doing it, though.

the only way it could be obsolete is if english gained a gender-neutral singular pronoun that is useable in regards to people, given that you must use a gender, it is better to use the same one and male is the standard.

its like saying that "they" should be spelled "thay" yes it is understandable but that is not the way the english langage is, and if you start spelling it like that people will start to wonder if they missed something.

Here is an alternative Sleep spell, inspired from 2e's Sand Slumber (Al-Qadim). It is to make it more interesting at all levels, but give it a saving throw an not just a "cast and win" effect. 

Sleep

1st level enchantment

You blow sand into the air in the direction of one creature. The creature targetted by the scintillating granules grow drowsy and might fall asleep.

Effect: You choose one creature you can see that is within 100ft of you. That creature makes a wisdom saving throw. If she fails the saving throw she falls unconscious for one round, until she takes damage or someone uses an action to shake or slaps her very hard.  

Slowed condition:

I don't like this. First, I'm not a fan of having hundeds of conditions, so I find slow condition ugly, where you can just say "half speed", second, there is no way that looks like sleep. I mean, one round? Only one round? How comes?
I agree it should have a saving throw anyway

Effect: You choose one creature you can see that is within 100ft of you. That creature makes a wisdom saving throw. If he fails the saving throw she falls unconscious for one round, until he takes damage or someone uses an action to shake or slaps him very hard. 

Please, don't spread lies and misinformation about the English language. It is not true that you must use a male pronoun when talking about an assumed subject position. All that matters is that you are consistent. It may have once been true, but it is certainly no longer the case. I mean, I can’t wait to tell the other English grad students in my program that someone actually still insists that an assumed theoretical subject position must be referred to as male, but the claim is only useful for its comedic value. I can also think of more than one feminist scholar, who works in the English field, who would have a field day with such a sexist claim. On the other hand, it is VERY important to start sentences with capital letters, complete sentences with periods instead of commas, capitalize the word “English,” spell the word “language” correctly, and the like. Perhaps, before making fallacious claims, and telling people that they look stupid, you should become a little more self-conscious about your own level of proficiency with the English language. Just saying…   

Sleep

1st level enchantment

Slowed condition:

I don't like this. First, I'm not a fan of having hundeds of conditions, so I find slow condition ugly, where you can just say "half speed",

I see no problem with this. After thinking bout it, I would remove the -1 penalty and maybe give disadvantage to rolls tied to dexterity. 

second, there is no way that looks like sleep. I mean, one round? Only one round? How comes?
I agree it should have a saving throw anyway

The complaints about Sleep are that it is super powerful at low level, but doesn't do anything at higher levels. This issue is adressed with the spell being useful all the time. 

Than the question of having no save. This is also adressed and the spell ain't wasted if the creature as a successful saving throw.

One round, because that was the other complaint. It lasts too long, the opponent is out for the entire combat or just can take your time to just coup de grace him without any problem. I know some people didn't abuse and their was a use to have someone sleep for a long time, like a guard, without people just killing them. 

Maybe a ritual version can exist for that purpose. 

Well it's underpowered against anyone but elites and solos. It's fine against elites and too good against solos, leadin every solo to be erratad against it. So, I don't really like it.

As for the he/she, there's been an intentional move towards using she enough that it isn't weird. It's been going on for years - I bet the original quote used she. In 2nd edition. Hence feeling the advice to always use he being 20 years old