who gets to go first matters.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok i didn't see a thread existing for what my concern is so im just going to start new thread, but my concern and i know this is true is based upon your deck you use in magic 2013 on 1v1s does play a role in who goes first and that extra mana turn could make or break your game plan. one reason i know im telling the truth is that before the dlc came out for the xbox game (may be true for psn) i used obedient dead a mono black deck and i always went first and playing that extra mana for this deck is a big help especially with murders costing 3 mana so you can defend against early rushers and only decks that went first before me was the two blue decks crosswinds and dreampuppets and sometimes exalted (which no one uses ranked) and all other decks went second and really liked this rule in magic game because the slower mana (black and blue) went first alot then a (red) goblin deck because of deck speed evened it out. now all this is true before the new dlc came out with the guild decks, but now im seeing this rule being ignored in gameplay, like when your using mindstorms a (blue/red) and your foe using the demon deck (black/red) and the demon deck gets to go first even though its a rush deck and everytime this happens my chances of winning go out the window because the demon deck gets a early mana over you as well as most spells in mindstorms cost 3 mana and by time you get 3 mana its already to late...so what im trying to say is why does this keep happening?....the red mana of both decks should make them even and blue is slower then black yet demon deck goes first...if you think they should fix this or think another way post your reply.

general rule ive observed when playing 1v1s:

blue goes first, followed by black, followed by white, then green, then finally red 

the deck speed evens out the odds of going second but can't even out odds when a demon deck goes first and has really good deck speed..also post if you agree youve seen this when playing..    
Firstly, what's with the wall of text? Throw in a little punctuation and it might be easier to read.

With that out of the way: I don't know what it is you think you are observing, but as for deciding who goes first, it is done randomly. Like an electronic coin flip. There is no algorithm making sure certain decks go first against other decks, because that would go against the rules and nature of Magic.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

actually try using obedient dead for 1v1s and ull see what im talking about. ive played a alot of 1v1s and everytime ive been up against a blue deck they always go first very few will i go first. its about your deck speed and mana color it plays into your odds of going first or not. believe me it exists now should it be there...up to u
Seriosuly dude, make a list in excel or on the back of some scratch paper and keep track over the next 50 games or so if you went first or second based upon your color chosen. Then present the data.

It seems like I always go second but once I started recording it I realized it was all in my head...

ok il try that but again like i said it changed as soon as dlc content came out.
actually try using obedient dead for 1v1s and ull see what im talking about. ive played a alot of 1v1s and everytime ive been up against a blue deck they always go first very few will i go first. its about your deck speed and mana color it plays into your odds of going first or not. believe me it exists now should it be there...up to u

The problem with your accusation is that if I play OD 1 v 1 against deck X, and have even just 1 time where I go first, and 1 time where I don't, your accussations just completely fall apart. I just played MS agaisnt OD for 8 games for another topic, and I went first a share of the time, and I went second a share of the time. It was pretty equal.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White
They've actually done studies on this, and the person that gets the draw first, wins 55% of games in tournaments.  Sure, that's a small advantage, but you have to realize this game is a game about managing resources.  Yes, with the right deck you always want to go first, Goblins is an example of this.  But that extra card is a great boon that shall not be overlooked.

in summary; You're wrong based on the information I have seen on this.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Whay should be fixed in an update is that first The game will choose who starts and then continue to the Mulligan. Here it is not as in yugioh to be first or second does not influence too much... I think that being first or second in magic greatly influences in the choice of your starting hand.
Final Fantasy VII Sign By Miguel_Exe, =33
Whay should be fixed in an update is that first The game will choose who starts and then continue to the Mulligan. Here it is not as in yugioh to be first or second does not influence too much... I think that being first or second in magic greatly influences in the choice of your starting hand.

In real M:tG, you decide who goes first before looking at your opening hand.  This is done so that the cards in your hand don't influence your decision on whether to go first or draw first.  It's only fair.

First, you determine who gets to make the decission, usually by coin flip or die roll.

Second, whoever won makes a decission on whether they want to go first or draw first.

Third, you draw seven cards and decide if you want to mulligan.

Being able to see your starting hand would influence whether you want to be on the go, or be on the draw.  Example; If I'm playing Goblin Gangland, and my starting hand has no 1 mana hasters then I know, i'm already at a disadvantage because the decks main advantage is it's speed.  So, to make up for this loss in advantage, I will take the advantage of having the extra card.  That top deck could be a 1 mana haster.  Even if it's not, i'm now one card deeper into my library, which means I'm getting closer to top decking a card with some advantage.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Indeed. 

I think I dreamed it. But one day I remember that after the update that first came to the iPad first the game said "your're going first, proceeds to the mulligan" 

Or "You're second, proceeds to the Mulligan" or something like that.

I repeat, obviously I was dreaming  because now not happen in Xbox or my ipad. But I think that would be the right thing.
Indeed. 

I think I dreamed it. But one day I remember that after the update that first came to the iPad first the game said "your're going first, proceeds to the mulligan" 

I repeat, obviously I was dreaming  because now not happen in Xbox or my ipad. But I think that would be the right thing.

On PC/Steam it tells you if you are going first or second in the same text box that it asks you if you want to mulligan or not.

You're a lose cannon.

Indeed. 

On PC/Steam it tells you if you are going first or second in the same text box that it asks you if you want to mulligan or not.

Same with PS3
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best
In real Magic there is a coin toss (or whatever), but the winner of the toss then chooses whether to go first or second. In Duels they have just assumed you will always pick to go first. This is something else many people have requested be changed.

I'm surprised at the statistic that going second wins 55%. I've usually found in my experience going first is an advantage. When I started playing many years ago, the player who went first drew a card as well! And then played Ivory Tower.... 
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
If your deck can take advantage of the momentum of going first, it is better than drawing a card.
If your deck is slow however, drawing an extra card might be more useful.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

First is normally right because if the following dynamic.

Aggro vs aggro = want to go first
Aggro vs control = want to go first
Control vs aggro = want to go first
Control vs control = want to go second
Indeed. In DotP be the first involves having an advantage regularly... Although there are times (usually when you have one or two of mana in your starting hand) prefer to try to steal a another. 
It all depends on your deck build but normally control wants to draw and aggro wants to go first. 

If my deck has lots of mass removal like damnation, pernicious deed etc, I'd rather have the opponent play first. Extra card and more card in the field to destroy after Is what I intend to achieve by going second.

aggro like goblins or white weenie etc. obviously wants to go first. 

funny how in paper magic tourneys decks of control vs control would toss a coin to whoever wants to go second. They actually don't want to play first.