Planeswalker Quandary

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
As some of you know, I'm working on a block that involves a return to Kamigawa.  One of the characters in the block, Koyama Naomi, starts out as a very powerful mage who is able to planeswalk.  Her planeswalker card will be in the first set, Kami Rejoicing, because her spark ignites after a furious battle with Bolas, who she seeks retribution against with The Sword of Doom.  Considering each 'walker is blue/black/red, should I put both cards in the set?
Naomi, her emblem, and Oni Ken
Koyama Naomi {UBR}
Planeswalker -- Naomi {M}
/+1\: Until your next turn, blocking creatures you control have lifelink.
\-2/: Gain control of target creature and attach a card you control named Oni Ken, the sword of Doom to it without paying Oni Ken’s equip cost. That card’s owner gains control of it when there are four delusion counters on it.
\-6/: You get an emblem with “Creatures you control with delusion counters on them get +1/+0, for each delusion counter on them, have intimidate, and attack each turn if able”.
{3}

Koyama Naomi
Creatures you control with delusion counters on them get +1/+0 for each delusion counter on them, have intimidate, and attack each turn if able.

Oni Ken, the Sword of Doom {4}
Legendary Artifact -- Equipment {M}
Oni Ken, the Sword of Doom is indestructible.
Equipped creature has deathtouch and insanity and gets +1/+0 for each delusion counter on it
Oni Ken can’t equip a creature with four or more delusion counters on it.
When Oni Ken leaves the battlefield, each player sacrifices each creature with a delusion counter on it he or she controls.
Equip {2}
anyone? 
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Do you mean both 'Walkers (since they are both ) or both the new 'Walker and the Sword?  If the first; I'd not put in Bolas at all unless he's a major part of the block's story besides "Faught girl, lit her Spark," and even then, I'd be uncomfortable doing it because you'd have two of the same color 'Walkers in the same set and that look clunky.  If the second; I don't see a problem, go for it.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

There are a lot of technical wording issues with this, but that's all. You don't need to explain the equip cost thing, so you can drop that. But you also can't attach the sword if you don't have it, so you need to add "if able" or "you may".

Gain control of target creature. You may attach an artifact you control named Oni Ken, the Sword of Doom to it. It’s owner gains control of it, whenever it has four or more delusion counters on it.

You can clean up the emblem wording to this,

You get an emblem with “Creatures you control have intimidate, get +1/+0 for each delusion counter on it, and attack each turn if able”.

Oni Ken's wording cleans up to this (and in this order),

Oni Ken is indestructible.
Oni Ken can’t equip a creature with four or more delusion counters on it.
Equipped creature has deathtouch, insanity, and gets +1/+0 for each delusion counter on it.
When Oni Ken leaves the battlefield, each player sacrifices each creature they control with a delusion counter on it.

This about does it as far as I can see. I like how you kept the cost short and worked around color diversity. That would be sure to make her much more playable than she would have been if you had assigned a higher cost @ three colors. The abilities seem very synergistic, although I am not a fan of the insanity ability at all. With that said, I think it's a very great design. The story does read a bit dry, but that's only because the whole "legendary demon sword" thing is kind of old to me. Did you know that was one of Wolverine's main story-lines? Yup, the Muramasa Blade.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

That's what I meant, Azure.

GM, the problem with your wording is it can be used as an elaborate version of Bolas' second if you're not running The Sword of Doom, which I don't want.  On top of that, insanity will be a recurring theme.  Thus, the emblem is only meant to effect creature with delusion counters on them.
Well, you can already do that though. With your wording, I mean. The clause about attching the sword doesn't target, therefore, there is no legal status. Meaning, even if you don't have the sword, under your wording, the only function that targets is the control one. As long as it has a legal target, that's all it needs.

If you want to force the sword in,

If you control an artifact named Oni Ken, the Sword of Doom, gain control of target creature and attach Oni Ken to it. Whenever that creature has four or more delusion counters on it, its owner gains control of it.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)