Cisnero's Catastrophically Condensed Coin Card Contest

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just realized that tomorrow, it will be exactly 6 years since I joined this forum (Granted, that's not 6 years of continual forum use.  But still!).  What better way to celebrate this complete coincidence of me randomly logging on in time to catch this day... than with a 24 hour contest?

I'll tell you how!  A 24 hour contest for coin flips!  That's how!

Criterion: Create a card that cares about coin flips, but does not actually flip coins.

Note: Creativity is a big one here.  There are exactly 2 cards that currently exist which would fit this criterion, so there's TONS of development room.  Don't make me pick a winner by... flipping a coin!
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
... I'm going to preempt the first smartass that reads that criterion.  When I say "does not actually flip coins," I am not saying "Your card must not be able to perform the physical act of flipping coins."  That would be silly!  I am saying "your card must not have an ability which produces any sort of effect that would allow or require you to flip a coin." 
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Did you see the thing ConfusedAsUsual made the other day? It was beautiful.

I'll try to come up with something. Let me think about it for a minute.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Did you see the thing ConfusedAsUsual made the other day? It was beautiful.

Where?  :O
Show
144902215 wrote:
Little Liar -
Creature - Goblin
Whenever you would lose a coin flip, you may pay . If you do, you win that coin flip instead.
"...B-But it turned up head!! I swear!!"
1/1

For Morgothra's Metafiction contest. Hope you don't mind CAU - I was just impressed by your card.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Goblin Swindler -
Creature - Goblin Rogue
, : The next time you would flip a coin this turn, you win that flip instead.
"Check his pockets. Let's see: loaded dice, two-faced coin, thirty aces of various suits...and a thumb?" --Arrester Lavinia, Tenth Precinct
2/2 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Little Liar -
Creature - Goblin
Whenever you would lose a coin flip, you may pay . If you do, you win that coin flip instead.
1/1

For Morgothra's Metafiction contest. Hope you don't mind CAU - I was just impressed by your card.

I totally agree, if he posts this card he wins...

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Record Arbiter | | Creature - Vedalken | Uncommon | 1/3
Whenever a coin comes up heads, each opponent puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Whenever a coin comes up tails, put the top five cards of your library into your graveyard. 
Unparallel Chaos
Enchantment
Whenever a spell or ability causes a coin flip, copy it three times.
Yes, the cat is both dead and alive until you open the box. Which part don't you understand!? Yes, Febb is both dead and alive until you open the box. Which part don't you understand!?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
So, I'm not a big fan of DFCs, but I do love coin flipping. What most people don't like about flipping is that it is so random. That's my favourite part - but I wouldn't mind making it more playable. So how about you play things that benefit from flipping? Oh, wait, better idea. Levelers. Because I like them more than DFCs.

Polished Roller

Creature - Cat Dwarf Rogue
Whenever you flip a coin Polished Roller levels up.
1/1
(Level 1 - 4)
If you would flip a coin, instead flip two coins and ignore one.
1/1
(Level 5 - 8)
If you would flip a coin, instead you win that coin flip.
1/1

Does that work with the criteria?

Edit: Why is my post so strecthy?

Another Edit: I think I fixed it.

Whatever

Keeps

Enchantment
Whenever you flip a coin, the loser of the toss adds a coin of equal or greater value to the ante.

"But - if you're using your antique Mesopotamian coins - why, I'll have to put a second mortgage on my house!"

139359831 wrote:
Bureaucratic Scribe

Creature - Human Advisor

If you would choose an outcome or make a choice, choose two outcomes or make two choices instead.

"Just one more form to fill in..."

1/2
Fatespinner Golem

Artifact Creature - Golem
Whenever you would flip a coin, you may flip Fatespinner Golem instead. if you do, you win that coin flip.
4/4
//
Spent Rustwreck
Artifact Creature - Golem
He controlled the destiny of others. He never had a say on his own.
0/1

Orensic
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever a player flips a coin, that player loses the game.
2/2  

192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Fate Tempter
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
If you win a coin flip, gain 3 life.
If you lose a coin flip, lose 3 life.
Whenever you lose or gain life in this way, draw a card.
3/3

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Calculiar
Creature - Homunculus
Coins flips result in the opposite of the last result if able. (If the last coin flip was a heads, the next one is a tails.)
Many poor beggars end up hunting calculiars as a method of cursing their poor luck.
2/1

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Vicious Gambler |
Creature — Human Wizard
Whenever a player flips a coin, if it comes up heads, ~ deals 3 damage to target player. If it comes up tails, ~ deals 3 damage to you.
"Raise."
2 / 2
Little Liar -
Creature - Goblin
1/1

I totally agree, if he posts this card he wins...

So, should I?

Burning Chances -
Enchantment
Whenever you win a coin flip, ~ deals 2 damage to target opponent.
Whenever you lose a coin flip, ~ deals 2 damage to target creature.
"I am fine with how the coin turns out either way, as long as you lose out in the end."
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Luckmeister 
Creature - Gremlin
Morph (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for . Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
If you would flip a coin, you may flip Luckmeister instead. (it must be flipped onto the battlefield from a height of at least one foot)
1/1
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Sore Loser

Enchantment

When you lose a coin flip, ~ deals 1 damage to target player.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Cursed Coin
Enchantment
Whenever you flip a coin, destroy all non-land permanents it is touching after it has come to rest.
Not an official entry, just a funny Un card:

Pay to Play
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent flips a coin, gain control of that coin. (This effect is permanent and does not end when the game is over.)
Ambidexttrous Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Each player can only flip coins with his or her non-dominant hand.
The nickname "lefty" seemed rather inappropriate after the little goblin lost his arm in a bet.
2/1
Battered Coin

Artifact

Players can't flip coins.

"It's not even worth it. You can't tell which side is which, anyway."
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Exxile72, your card name inspired me.

Free to Play
Enchantment
Non-creature spells you cast cost less to cast.
Whenever you cast a spell, put a debt counter on ~, then flip X coins, where X is the number of debt counters on ~. Then if you didn't win all the flips, counter that spell.
"By the time they find out what they've gotten themselves into, it's already far too late."

Now for the actual entry:

Krark's Revenge
Enchantment
Whenever a spell or ability ask you to flip a coin and has a target, copy that spell or ability for each other target it may target.
"Why should you get all the fun? EVERYONE is fair game!"

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Unstable Growth
Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Land

When you flip a coin, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
If the result of the flip is heads, add one mana of any color to you mana pool.
If the result of the flip is tails, play or loose 1 life.

"These tomatoes would sell great at the market if they didn't keep exploding" - Grant Mcdoh, Wasteland Farmer.
object width="300" height="100" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">
Mindmage Challenger
Creature - Human Wizard
If you would flip a coin, instead you and target opponent play a MAGIC subgame starting at 5 life, using your libraries as decks. If you win the subgame, the coin comes up heads and you win the flip. Otherwise, the coin comes up tails and you lose the flip.
3/3
Contest closed.  Grading will come... in time!  :P
Show
144902215 wrote:
Contest closed.  Grading will come... in time!  :P

You should determine the winner by flipping a coin.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I'm pretty sure the competitors would smack me if I did that... too bad!

Although I actually remember winning someone else's coin flip card-making contest because he was down to me and someone else... and he flipped a coin to decide which of us won.  That was pretty awesome.  :P
Show
144902215 wrote:
I'm entering anyway.

Azorius Beancounter
Creature - Human Advisor
Whenever a coin flip is heads, put a heads counter on ~.
Whenever a coin flip is tails, put a tails counter on ~.
Spells cost 1 less for each tails counter on ~.
Spells cost 1 more for each heads counter on ~.
1/2
Flip a coin to see if you grade this?
It'll be graded, don't worry... I've been somewhat busy this weekend... but yes, grades will come!

Now, flipping a coin to see if I take time to grade or issue random numbers... that might be something I should do!  Laughing

Show
144902215 wrote:
It'll be graded, don't worry... I've been somewhat busy this weekend... but yes, grades will come!

Now, flipping a coin to see if I take time to grade or issue random numbers... that might be something I should do! 

Cisnero Grades
Sorcery
Suspend 3 - UR
For each player, roll a 10 sided die, then flip coins equal to the number rolled. That player's lfie total becomes the number of heads or tails, chosen at random.

Now, flipping a coin to see if I take time to grade or issue random numbers... that might be something I should do! 

Now flipping coins once a month to see if you'll be flipping coins?
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn