Wrath of Ashardalon and Castle Ravenloft or The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,
First post

I did make a search and did not find any direct answer to the questions i may have.

1. I play a lot of boardgames and have a habit of merging them (If they corolate to one another; like all of runebound expansions..). Yes they made for solo but was well designed to be merged.
Is it possible to merge the 3 or only 2/3 or none... Opinon matters and i be greatful for it.

2. Other than CON (Which was AWESOME and do pray for an expansion) this be my first wizard boardgame. How is the fun factor and replay? Can it be played as 1 player like Mageknight Boardgame?

3. Talking of CON; is there rumors or any news of an expansion release?
I have not played CoN, so I can't comment from its perspective. The  D&D Adventure System board games are interchangeable, but there are no pre-written adventures that combine them. As a minimum, it is easy to use player characters from one game in another. We do that fairly often, although some work better in this regards. There probably are user written adventures that combine game elements. I could see a massive game being built that could take 6-8 hours to resolve.

The games can be played single-player, but there are only a few adventures written for this mode and it is nowhere near as fun. I would not recommend these games unless you have someone to play with.

There are no announced news of CoN releseases and I kind of doubt there will be any, but I tend to be pessimistic when it comes to expansions (unless they have been announced, of course). 
Thanks Hreth;
1. Hope you are wrong on CON and that they do come out with an expansion.
2. I was just wondering if you can combine the sets and make an adventure using the PC-Monters and etc.. from each of the board games.
    You did say 'YES' which is great.
3. I do like to playout some boardgames (Ex:Mageknight) myself for a challenge of fun. What is the funfactor in combining it and playing solo or with a group?
   (Solo = playing out several character classes within an adventure..)
1. You can very easily merge the games and build your own custom adventures! This may be the best thing about them. Wrath of Ashardalon has rules for campaigns, which are linked scenarios.
2. Best fun factor Ive seen in a boardgame in a long time, and I play stuff like Arkham Horror. You can also "solo" the games by playing multiple characters yourself.
3. I think if we start enough rumors, they'll have to develop a Planescape expansion for Nerath!
LL; well said!! NinjaDog.
I think you best answered it all. Time to invest into all three and pray the actually support their products...
Well dungeon command also comes with "bonus" cards that lets you use them with your board games as well. I think thats a nice bonus.
Very interesting. Do the boards actually matchup and follow the same formula or will i need be a bit creative...
Something to readup on but liking this a lot..

A friend also wondered; "Are there level gaining + if decide to play one type of character can it survive or the enemies require group from the start..."

So lets say;
Class X lvl.1
play 1 class type alone and then kill few easy monsters (if there is such a thing) to obtain a few levels enough to faceoff tougher foes solo

Sorry that i always compare it MageKnight :P wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/
A friend also wondered; "Are there level gaining + if decide to play one type of character can it survive or the enemies require group from the start..."

So lets say;
Class X lvl.1
play 1 class type alone and then kill few easy monsters (if there is such a thing) to obtain a few levels enough to faceoff tougher foes solo

There are only two levels, Level 1 and Level 2, and leveling up requires an element of chance (you must roll a natural 20 on an attack roll or trap disable roll, or draw a treasure card that allows you to level up). There are campaign rules that allow you to keep your level from one game to the next (I think; I haven't played these yet) and keep treasure, but these don't change the maximum level – it is still 2.

I've read on that Hreth, but can i folow the same rulez to make the class Hero gain level from 2 to 3 etc... Should be able to within the same campaign/adventure.
Let me know if wrong... especialy if merging board games will addd new foes + heroes + items etc...
Gracias
Level 2 is it.  There is no level 3.  You could probably easily make a new level by adding two hit points, a new power and maybe increasing your AC by 1.  It's not in the rulebook, but it's a possibly way to go about it.

The boards themselves all actually match up thematically.  They use the standard dungeon tiles style for the most part.  There are some rooms in Wrath of Ashardalon and Legend of Drizzt that have special rules and graphics, though, but they're not hugely different across the games.  Most of LoD takes place in and around Gauntlgrym, anyway, rather than in the Icewind Dale area.

Sure, Drizzt and company never took on Strahd or Ashardalon, so thematically, you'd be mixing it up, but honestly, who cares?  "What if?" scenarios are pretty fun to play. 
Hi thewok,
That is probably what i would do for leveling.. didnt read the method to gain experience but did hear it was mentioned within the rulebooks.. I was thinking (common sense if not wrong with it..) would be to use the same method for gaining level 2 to gain then level 3 etc...

Btw...

Just bought all 3 boardgames so at this point its time dwell back into the world of D&D.. I just hope they persist with this type of games and especially an expansion for one. It be nice to show they care for us sometimes

Thanks again for the response
I've read on that Hreth, but can i folow the same rulez to make the class Hero gain level from 2 to 3 etc... Should be able to within the same campaign/adventure.
Let me know if wrong... especialy if merging board games will addd new foes + heroes + items etc...
Gracias

Each player character card has two sides, one for Level 1 and one for Level 2. Leveling consists of flipping the card, earning additional hp, a new daily power, etc. You could, and some players have, create your own rules for leveling up to Level 3 and so on, but there is no native support for this in the game. Also, the encounters do not scale up by level, so they would get progressively easier.
The amazing thing about D&D is that it gives you the basics and leaves the rest to imagination :D
Its like you said Hreth; "You could, and some players have, create your own rules for leveling up to Level 3 and so on..."

I will learn the rules and then pass some thougts here on how i'd make the levels and monster scaling system.
After i had enough fun figuring it; then would play with my employees at lunch.

I have a habit to get different board games every four months and their expansions to play them to the max. This
looks like something real fun and different.

Gracias

BTW my top Boardgames are; (Hope D&D rulez them all)
1. Mageknight
2. Runebound
3. talisman & Conquest of Norath
4. twilight imperium
5. etc..
I have yet to get Conquest of Nerath (I wants it so...), but I highly recommend Lords of Waterdeep.  It's very good.
CON is a must for D&D and Risk lovers.

I wanted to get LOW but just last week bought 4 expansions for runebound + 12 mini packs...
Today bought 3 of D&D boardgames COR + LOD + WOA

So i am booked for the next 5-6 months.. by then there'd be few expansions to jump on before LOW; ex: Mageknight and maybe some D&D (crossing finger in hopes..)
The Dungeon command tiles are not quite fitt for the boardgames as they have both outdoors and underground areas on them. But on the possitive side, they can be used as standard DnD tiles. Oh and the rules are qute good, the minis are prepainted and all that jazz.

And I suport the oppinion that you should get LoW its the boardgame that recieves by far the most use from us.  
And I suport the oppinion that you should get LoW its the boardgame that recieves by far the most use from us.  

Who is "us" in your case? I'm trying to judge its suitability as a family game. How complicated is it?
US being me and my friends same age, around 27. I would day its about the same complexity as pillars og the earth. If thats not a game you know, I would day its a bit more complex than setlers og cataan. Its mostly resoirse management, and takes about a hour or two to finish.
Sounds like...meh. Will get LOW in 6 months. Doesnt sem like my taste of thing.