What's the reason for same statistic - diffrent equipment?

I want to discuss the Splint armour and Glaive.
Please, forgive my grammar.

Why do we need them in the tabs when there are other classic replacements? 
I mean: If splint has the samestatistics as banded, in every category, why do we keep them in the system?

1. If it's because we just copied the chart from AD&D or 3rd ed, then please! that's not professional. The designers should be more critic about what is the role of every piece in the puzzle.

2. If it's for the sake of variety, then why don't we keep the brass plate? half plate? brigendine? Hide armour? Tower shield? and why won't we add Discs armour, Lammellar, and many more?
    If it's really for this sake, then please add as many as you can, and put all the same armour levles in the one row, as if they are one statistic that you can choose how will it look on your character.

3. Or at least put diffrent stats on each. like the glaive. If you want a spear with the same stats, you can choose the longspear. if you want a slashing weapon with the same statistics, you can choose the halberd. So why do we keep it?
    At least put in the lucerian Hammer or the Bec de Corbinn, being some kind of hammer and bludgeoning weapon, and that gives them a good reason for keeping in the game. 

I want to appoligize in advance for giving hard criticism, but I did try to add some constructive criticism.
I really would like the new edition to thrive! It feels lovely in many aspects. 

Sincerly
Raidex 
As some on these boards are already aware, my Friday night group is very familiar with real weapons and armour, since we know weaponsmiths and armourers and have studied medieval and Renaissance examples.

I think WotC should either have categories (not sure what they'd be called) to put splint and banded, for example, in the same category with the same AC values, or they should put every conceivable type of armour in the table so that those who like different types of armour based on character concept and background can have stats for them. Ditto weapons, for that matter.

I'd probably prefer the first (categories), as it would cut down on the amount of space such stats would take up in the book, and they can later publish either expanded tables, or an expanded list of what weapon or type of armour would be in each category.

Of course, we must remember that all we've seen so far is playtest packets. It's quite possible that WotC is giving us only a sampling to work with, and we'll see much, much more in the final product.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Hey everybody,

Since this thread really isn't about a playtest session I'll move it to Playtest Packet Discussion.

Thanks!

Monica
I've proposed the following armor table; it's not as symmetrical as the latest one in packet 2 with its three power tiers for each category, but it makes more sense.

NoneACNotesWeightCost
No Armor10+ Dex modifier0 lbs.0 gp
LightACNotesWeightCost
Leather12 + Dex modifier (max 4)15 lbs.10 gp
Brigandine13+ Dex modifier (max 3)25 lbs.50 gp
MediumACNotesWeightCost
Scale14+ Dex modifier (max 2)30 lbs.75 gp
Chainmail15+ Dex modifier (max 1)40 lbs.100 gp
HeavyACNotesWeightCost
Plate16Stealth Disadvantage, -5 feet movement50 lbs.600 gp
Full Plate17Stealth Disadvantage, -5 feet movement60 lbs.1200 gp
ShieldACNotesWeightCost
Light+1Stealth Disadvantage5 lbs.10 gp
Heavy+2Stealth Disadvantage20 lbs.75 gp

Leather: Includes hide, padded, and leather armor. Typically, leather armor has thicker pieces around vital areas and softer, more flexible pieces covering mobile areas.

Brigandine: Consists of leather/padded/hide vest that is reinforced with semi-rigid plates, studs, and/or rings made of bone, metal, or wood over vital areas. Also, includes "ring mail" and "studded leather" armor. It's extremely flexible and quiet, despite being heavier than standard leather armor.

Scale: Soft leather or canvas coat with overlapping metal scales sewn together.

Chain: Mail armor tunic over leather and/or padding.

Plate:  Includes laminar plates over mail, and/or leather. Ancient Roman "banded" and "splint" armor falls within this category. Also, includes chain tunic worn with a brigandine vest.

Full Plate: This armor consists of a complete set of articulated, interlocked plates of metal worn over mail and padding. Examples include Gothic and Maximilian armors from the late medieval and early renaissance period.

D&D Next - Basic and Expert Editions

I firmly believe that there should be two editions of the game; the core rules released as a "Basic" set and a more complicated expanded rules edition released as an "Expert" set. These two editions would provide separate entry points to the game; one for new players or players that want a more classic D&D game and another entry point for experienced gamers that want more options and all the other things they have come to expect from previous editions.

Also, they must release several rules modules covering the main elements of the game (i.e., classes, races, combat, magic, monsters, etc.) upon launch to further expand the game for those that still need more complexity in a particular element of the game.

Here's a mockup of the Basic Set I created.

(CLICK HERE TO VIEW LARGER IMAGE)

Basic Set

This boxed set contains a simple, "bare bones" edition of the game; the core rules. It's for those that want a rules-light edition of the game that is extremely modifiable or for new players that get intimidated easily by too many rules and/or options. The Basic Set contains everything needed to play with all the "classic" D&D races (i.e., Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling) and classes (i.e., Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard) all the way up to maximum level (i.e., 20th Level).

The Basic boxed set contains:

Quick Start Rules
A "choose your own way" adventure intended as an intro to RPGs and basic D&D terms.

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)
Features rules for playing the classic D&D races and classes all the way up to 20th level.

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)
Includes the basic rules for dungeon masters.

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)
Includes all the classic iconic monsters from D&D. 

Introductory Adventure
(Keep on the Borderlands)
An introductory adventure for beginning players and DMs.

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

A set of hardbound rules that contains the core rules plus expanded races and classes, more spells and a large selection of optional rules modules — that is, pretty much everything that experienced players have come to expect. Each expert edition manual may be purchased separately, or in a boxed set. The Expert set includes:

Expert PHB (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes core rules plus 10 playable races, 10 character classes, expanded selection of spells and rules modules for players.)
Expert DMG (Hardcover, 250 pages. $35 Includes core rules plus expanded rules modules for DMs.)
Expert MM (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes an expanded list of monsters and creatures to challenge characters)

Expansions

These expansion rules modules can be used with both the Basic and Expert sets. Each expansion covers one specific aspect of the game, such as character creation, combat, spells, monsters, etc.) 

Hall of Heroes (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes a vast selection of playable character races and classes, new and old all in one book)
Combat and Tactics (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes dozens of new and old optional rules for combat all in one book)
Creature Compendium (Hardcover, 350 pages.$35 Includes hundreds of monsters, new and old all in one book)
The Grimoire (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes hundreds of new and old spells all in one book)

A Million Hit Points of Light: Shedding Light on Damage

A Million Hit Points of Light: Shedding Light on Damage and Hit Points

In my personal campaigns, I use the following system for damage and dying. It's a slight modification of the long-standing principles etsablished by the D&D game, only with a new definition of what 0 or less hit points means. I've been using it for years because it works really well. However, I've made some adjustments to take advantage of the D&D Next rules. I've decided to present the first part in a Q&A format for better clarity. So let's begin...

What are hit points?
The premise is very simple, but often misunderstood; hit points are an abstraction that represent the character's ability to avoid serious damage, not necessarily their ability to take serious damage. This is a very important distinction. They represent a combination of skillful maneuvering, toughness, stamina and luck. Some targets have more hit points because they are physically tougher and are harder to injure...others have more because they are experienced combatants and have learned how to turn near fatal blows into mere scratches by skillful maneuvering...and then others are just plain lucky. Once a character runs out of hit points they become vulnerable to serious life-threatening injuries.

So what exactly does it mean to "hit" with a successful attack roll, then?
It means that through your own skill and ability you may have wounded your target if the target lacks the hit points to avoid the full brunt of the attack. That's an important thing to keep in mind; a successful "hit" does not necessarily mean you physically damaged your target. It just means that your attack was well placed and forced the target to exert themselves in such a way as to leave them vulnerable to further attacks. For example, instead of severing the target's arm, the attack merely grazes them leaving a minor cut.

But the attack did 25 points of damage! Why did it only "graze" the target?
Because the target has more than 25 hit points. Your attack forced them to exert a lot of energy to avoid the attack, but because of their combat skill, toughness, stamina and luck, they managed to avoid being seriously injured. However, because of this attack, they may not have the reserves to avoid your next attack. Perhaps you knocked them off balance or the attack left them so fatigued they lack the stamina to evade another attack. It's the DM's call on how they want to narrate the exact reason the blow didn't kill or wound the target.

Yeah, but what about "touch" attacks that rely on physical contact?
Making physical contact with a target is a lot different than striking them, so these types of attacks are the exception. If a touch attack succeeds, the attacker manages to make contact with their target.

If hit points and weapon damage don't always represent actual damage to the target, then what does it represent?
Think of the damage from an attack as more like a "threat level" rather than actual physical damage that transfers directly to the target's body. That is, the more damage an attack does, the harder it is to avoid serious injury. For example, an attack that causes 14 points of damage is more likely to wound the target than 3 points of damage (depending on how many hit points the target has left). The higher the damage, the greater the chance is that the target will become seriously injured. So, an attack that does 34 points of damage could be thought of as a "threat level of 34." If the target doesn't have the hit points to negate that threat, they become seriously injured.

Ok, but shouldn't armor reduce the amount of damage delivered from an attack?
It does reduce damage; by making it harder for an attack to cause serious injury. A successful hit against an armored target suggests that the attack may have circumvented the target's armor by striking in a vulnerable area.

What about poison and other types of non-combat damage?
Hit point loss from non-physical forms of damage represents the character spitting the poison out just in time before it takes full strength or perhaps the poison just wasn't strong enough to affect them drastically, but still weakens them. Again, it's the DMs call on how to narrate the reasons why the character avoids serious harm from the damage.

If hit points don't don't represent actual damage then how does that make sense with spells like Cure Serious Wounds and other forms of healing like healer kits with bandages?
Hit points do represent some physical damage, just not serious physical damage. Healing magic and other forms of healing still affect these minor wounds just as well as more serious wounds. For example, bandaging up minor cuts and abrasions helps the character rejuvenate and relieve the pain and/or fatigue of hit point loss. The key thing to remember is that it's an abstraction that allows the DM freedom to interpret and narrate it as they see fit.

What if my attack reduces the target to 0 or less hit points?
If a player is reduced to 0 or less hit points they are wounded. If a monster or NPC is reduce to 0 or less hit points they are killed.

Why are monsters killed immediately and not players?
Because unless the monsters are crucial to the story, it makes combat resolution much faster. It is assumed that players immediately execute a coup de grace on wounded monsters as a finishing move.

What if a character is wounded by poison or other types of non-physical damage?
If a character becomes wounded from non-combat damage they still receive the effects of being wounded, regardless if they show any physical signs of injury (i.e., internal injuries are still considered injuries).

Ok. I get it...but what happens once a character is wounded?
See below.

Damage and Dying

Once a character is reduced to 0 or less hit points, they start taking real damage. In other words, their reserves have run out and they can no longer avoid taking serious damage.

1. Characters are fully operational as long as they have 1 hit point or more. They may have minor cuts, bruises, and superficial wounds, but they are are not impaired significantly. 
  2. Once they reach 0 or less hit points, they become Wounded (see below).That is, they have sustained a wound that impairs their ability to perform actions.
  3. If they reach a negative amount of hit points equal or greater than their Constitution score, they are Incapacitated. This means they are in critical condition and could possibly die.
  4. Characters will die if their hit points reach a negative amount greater than their Constitution score, plus their current level.

Unharmed: 1 hp or more
Wounded: 0 hp or less
Incapacitated: -(Constitution) to -(Constitution+Level)
Dead: Less than -(Constitution +Level)

Wounded
When the character reaches 0 or less hit points they become wounded. Wounded characters receive disadvantage on all attacks and saving throws until they heal back up to 1 hit point or more. This allows for a transitory stage between healthy and dying, without having to mess around with impairment rules while the character still has hit points left.

Incapacitated
Characters begin dying when they reach a negative amount of hit points equal to their Constitution score. At which point, they must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw on each of their following turns (the disadvantage from being wounded does not apply for these saving throws).

If successful, the character remains dying, but their condition does not worsen.

If the saving throw fails, another DC 10 Constitution saving throw must be made. If that one fails, the character succumbs to their wounds and dies. If successful, the character stabilizes and is no longer dying.

Finally, if a dying character receives first aid or healing at any point, they immediately stabilize.

Dead
Characters will die if they reach a negative amount of hit points equal to their Constitution, plus their current level. Thus, if an 8th level character with a Constitution score of 12 is down to 4 hit points then takes 24 points of damage (reducing their hit points to -20) the attack kills them outright.

...Light armor should KEEP full Dex to AC, thank you, and anything more than 50g for mundane equipment is unduly penalizing.  A 1st-level knight or paladin should bloody well LOOK like a knight or paladin.
...Light armor should KEEP full Dex to AC, thank you, and anything more than 50g for mundane equipment is unduly penalizing.  A 1st-level knight or paladin should bloody well LOOK like a knight or paladin.

this, a first level character should be able to buy any 2 mundane weapons, a shield and any armor and still have some left over (if not much for plate+shield+weapon)

I am a hero, not a bumb who cant even aford his ideal armor type

gold never works as a balancing factor for mundate equipment.
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
A 1st-level knight or paladin should bloody well LOOK like a knight or paladin.

Not sure what you mean by "look" like a knight, but it was fairly common for knights to wear chainmail alone. Sometimes they even wore simple leather with brigandine vests.

gold never works as a balancing factor for mundate equipment.

I'm inclined to agree with this...but only when prices are based on its metagaming value more than actual game world value. It's absurd to set the price of something that should realistically cost 50 gp at 500 gp just because it grants an extra point of AC.

That said, 600 gp is more than a fair price for platemail armor, as is 1200 gp for full plate. These items are expensive to make and require exceptional skill to manufacture. Most adventurers should be able to afford it at 2nd or 3rd level. Or perhaps the Knight background needs to have platemail as a starting equipment perk.

At any rate, if realistic prices are an issue, you can just make everything free at first level (since it seems like you pretty much just want to give your character whatever you want anyway).

I firmly believe that there should be two editions of the game; the core rules released as a "Basic" set and a more complicated expanded rules edition released as an "Expert" set. These two editions would provide separate entry points to the game; one for new players or players that want a more classic D&D game and another entry point for experienced gamers that want more options and all the other things they have come to expect from previous editions.

Also, they must release several rules modules covering the main elements of the game (i.e., classes, races, combat, magic, monsters, etc.) upon launch to further expand the game for those that still need more complexity in a particular element of the game.

Basic Set

This boxed set contains a simple, "bare bones" edition of the game; the core rules. It's for those that want a rules-light edition of the game that is extremely modifiable or for new players that get intimidated easily by too many rules and/or options. The Basic Set contains everything needed to play with all the "classic" D&D races (i.e., Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling) and classes (i.e., Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard) all the way up to maximum level (i.e., 20th Level).

Quick Start Rules
A "choose your own way" adventure intended as an intro to RPGs and basic D&D terms.

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)
Features rules for playing the classic D&D races and classes all the way up to 20th level.

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

A set of hardbound rules that contains the core rules plus expanded races and classes, more spells and a large selection of optional rules modules — that is, pretty much everything that experienced players have come to expect. Each expert edition manual may be purchased separately, or in a boxed set. The Expert set includes:

Expert PHB (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes core rules plus 10 playable races, 10 character classes, expanded selection of spells and rules modules for players.)
Expert DMG (Hardcover, 250 pages. $35 Includes core rules plus expanded rules modules for DMs.)
Expert MM (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes an expanded list of monsters and creatures to challenge characters)

Expansions

These expansion rules modules can be used with both the Basic and Expert sets. Each expansion covers one specific aspect of the game, such as character creation, combat, spells, monsters, etc.) 

Hall of Heroes (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes a vast selection of playable character races and classes, new and old all in one book)
Combat and Tactics (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes dozens of new and old optional rules for combat all in one book)
Creature Compendium (Hardcover, 350 pages.$35 Includes hundreds of monsters, new and old all in one book)
The Grimoire (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes hundreds of new and old spells all in one book)

In my personal campaigns, I use the following system for damage and dying. It's a slight modification of the long-standing principles etsablished by the D&D game, only with a new definition of what 0 or less hit points means. I've been using it for years because it works really well. However, I've made some adjustments to take advantage of the D&D Next rules. I've decided to present the first part in a Q&A format for better clarity. So let's begin...

What are hit points?
The premise is very simple, but often misunderstood; hit points are an abstraction that represent the character's ability to avoid serious damage, not necessarily their ability to take serious damage. This is a very important distinction. They represent a combination of skillful maneuvering, toughness, stamina and luck. Some targets have more hit points because they are physically tougher and are harder to injure...others have more because they are experienced combatants and have learned how to turn near fatal blows into mere scratches by skillful maneuvering...and then others are just plain lucky. Once a character runs out of hit points they become vulnerable to serious life-threatening injuries.

It means that through your own skill and ability you may have wounded your target if the target lacks the hit points to avoid the full brunt of the attack. That's an important thing to keep in mind; a successful "hit" does not necessarily mean you physically damaged your target. It just means that your attack was well placed and forced the target to exert themselves in such a way as to leave them vulnerable to further attacks. For example, instead of severing the target's arm, the attack merely grazes them leaving a minor cut.

Because the target has more than 25 hit points. Your attack forced them to exert a lot of energy to avoid the attack, but because of their combat skill, toughness, stamina and luck, they managed to avoid being seriously injured. However, because of this attack, they may not have the reserves to avoid your next attack. Perhaps you knocked them off balance or the attack left them so fatigued they lack the stamina to evade another attack. It's the DM's call on how they want to narrate the exact reason the blow didn't kill or wound the target.

Making physical contact with a target is a lot different than striking them, so these types of attacks are the exception. If a touch attack succeeds, the attacker manages to make contact with their target.

If hit points and weapon damage don't always represent actual damage to the target, then what does it represent?
Think of the damage from an attack as more like a "threat level" rather than actual physical damage that transfers directly to the target's body. That is, the more damage an attack does, the harder it is to avoid serious injury. For example, an attack that causes 14 points of damage is more likely to wound the target than 3 points of damage (depending on how many hit points the target has left). The higher the damage, the greater the chance is that the target will become seriously injured. So, an attack that does 34 points of damage could be thought of as a "threat level of 34." If the target doesn't have the hit points to negate that threat, they become seriously injured.

It does reduce damage; by making it harder for an attack to cause serious injury. A successful hit against an armored target suggests that the attack may have circumvented the target's armor by striking in a vulnerable area.

Hit point loss from non-physical forms of damage represents the character spitting the poison out just in time before it takes full strength or perhaps the poison just wasn't strong enough to affect them drastically, but still weakens them. Again, it's the DMs call on how to narrate the reasons why the character avoids serious harm from the damage.

If hit points don't don't represent actual damage then how does that make sense with spells like Cure Serious Wounds and other forms of healing like healer kits with bandages?
Hit points do represent some physical damage, just not serious physical damage. Healing magic and other forms of healing still affect these minor wounds just as well as more serious wounds. For example, bandaging up minor cuts and abrasions helps the character rejuvenate and relieve the pain and/or fatigue of hit point loss. The key thing to remember is that it's an abstraction that allows the DM freedom to interpret and narrate it as they see fit.

If a player is reduced to 0 or less hit points they are wounded. If a monster or NPC is reduce to 0 or less hit points they are killed.

Because unless the monsters are crucial to the story, it makes combat resolution much faster. It is assumed that players immediately execute a coup de grace on wounded monsters as a finishing move.

If a character becomes wounded from non-combat damage they still receive the effects of being wounded, regardless if they show any physical signs of injury (i.e., internal injuries are still considered injuries).

See below.

Damage and Dying

Once a character is reduced to 0 or less hit points, they start taking real damage. In other words, their reserves have run out and they can no longer avoid taking serious damage.

1. Characters are fully operational as long as they have 1 hit point or more. They may have minor cuts, bruises, and superficial wounds, but they are are not impaired significantly. 
  2. Once they reach 0 or less hit points, they become Wounded (see below).That is, they have sustained a wound that impairs their ability to perform actions.
  3. If they reach a negative amount of hit points equal or greater than their Constitution score, they are Incapacitated. This means they are in critical condition and could possibly die.
  4. Characters will die if their hit points reach a negative amount greater than their Constitution score, plus their current level.

Wounded
When the character reaches 0 or less hit points they become wounded. Wounded characters receive disadvantage on all attacks and saving throws until they heal back up to 1 hit point or more. This allows for a transitory stage between healthy and dying, without having to mess around with impairment rules while the character still has hit points left.

Incapacitated
Characters begin dying when they reach a negative amount of hit points equal to their Constitution score. At which point, they must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw on each of their following turns (the disadvantage from being wounded does not apply for these saving throws).

If successful, the character remains dying, but their condition does not worsen.

If the saving throw fails, another DC 10 Constitution saving throw must be made. If that one fails, the character succumbs to their wounds and dies. If successful, the character stabilizes and is no longer dying.

Finally, if a dying character receives first aid or healing at any point, they immediately stabilize.

Dead
Characters will die if they reach a negative amount of hit points equal to their Constitution, plus their current level. Thus, if an 8th level character with a Constitution score of 12 is down to 4 hit points then takes 24 points of damage (reducing their hit points to -20) the attack kills them outright.

At any rate, if realistic prices are an issue, you can just make everything free at first level (since it seems like you pretty much just want to give your character whatever you want anyway).

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  Mundane, that is to say, non-magical equipment should have a FIXED COST, but NOT one that precludes obtaining it at 1st level.  Such equipment - keeping in mind that we are still discussing MUNDANE, NON-MAGICAL equipment - should, in keeping with D&D's use of the trope, be not only obtainable from 1st level, but obtainable WITHOUT precluding other items... which is to say our traveling knight should be able to have his plate mail, his weapon(s) of choice and a backpack with basic adventuring gear, and still possibly have some gold for the road.
On the topic of armor, I wish there was a real disadvantage to travelling in plate armor.  I doubt that people would be able to ride around from town to town in the sun while covered from head to toe inside a metal can.  Heavy armor should add a lot to AC but require something like 1d4 rounds to equip if you didn't have time to do so before the battle starts. Maybe 1d4 actions, so that others can help you put it on...think a knight PC who travels with a NPC squire to attend him.
Exactly what I've said.  If D&D is to maintain its own identity, it needs to drop the simulationist crap.  

Ok. There's a huge misunderstanding here; I am not a proponent of simulationist philosophy with regard to D&D. Quite the contrary; I relate closer to a minimalist attitude. That is,  first and foremost I prefer simple and concise rules that are easy to use, while also believable and balanced whenever possible. 

I just personally prefer that characters not be able to afford full plate armor at 1st level; It's just play-style preference that I find more believable. If other players want to start with it, fine. I don't really care.

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

I just personally prefer that characters not be able to afford full plate armor at 1st level; It's just play-style preference that I find more believable. If other players want to start with it, fine. I don't really care.

And I'd prefer it if heavy armor could be dropped in a ditch and forgotten about without anyone suffering for it, but somehow I get the feeling that's not happening. Tongue Out

"Believable," as I'm sure you know, is in the eye of the beholder.  This being a game, the primary concern for the dev team should be FUN.  And I, for one, doubt it's very fun for the paladin to have to scrimp every copper to afford the clunky tin tube he needs to rock the same AC as his monk buddy who's running around stark naked.

And let's leave it there, shall we?  Wouldn't want to derail this any further than I already have. Embarassed 
Few points:

1) brigandine isn't light. I've held one before, they're quite heavy. It should go where plate currently is.

2) I still think medium armour should give disadvantage to stealth (but not speed).

3) plate armour should be ridiculously expensive, because that's how it was. Only the richest knights could afford full plate. It should be something to strive for, not to just get at level 1. However, it should provide very good protection because of this.

4) wearing light armour and having a super-high dex shouldn't be a substitute for heavy armour. I agree that a paladin shouldn't have to spend a fortune just to be able to match the AC of a naked monk. Heavy armours should give good protection, and allow a dex bonus of +1 - someone willing to suffer the encumberance penalties of wearing heavy armour should get the protection that goes with it.

Basically, the maximum protection obtainable by light armour should be less than the maximum protection obtainable by by medium armour, which in turn, should be less than the maximum protection obtainable by heavy armour.
Everything expressed in this post is my opinion, and should be taken as such. I can not declare myself to be the supreme authority on all matters...even though I am right!
Few points:

1) brigandine isn't light. I've held one before, they're quite heavy. It should go where plate currently is.

2) I still think medium armour should give disadvantage to stealth (but not speed).

3) plate armour should be ridiculously expensive, because that's how it was. Only the richest knights could afford full plate. It should be something to strive for, not to just get at level 1. However, it should provide very good protection because of this.

4) wearing light armour and having a super-high dex shouldn't be a substitute for heavy armour. I agree that a paladin shouldn't have to spend a fortune just to be able to match the AC of a naked monk. Heavy armours should give good protection, and allow a dex bonus of +1 - someone willing to suffer the encumberance penalties of wearing heavy armour should get the protection that goes with it.

Basically, the maximum protection obtainable by light armour should be less than the maximum protection obtainable by by medium armour, which in turn, should be less than the maximum protection obtainable by heavy armour.

D&D is not and should never be a simulation, if plate was so good you had to wait several levels to gain it either A) plate is too powerfull, and that anyone who has it has too much AC  B) anyone who is designed to have plate will have much less AC then they need.

and if heavy armor was that much better then light and medium then what would be the point of having them? why pay for armor that will still let you be hit on a 5? it would just mean anyone not in heavy armor would be auto-hit on AC
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
1) brigandine isn't light. I've held one before, they're quite heavy.

I mentioned that they are heavier than standard leather armor — in reality, a brigandine jack weighs about 23-25 pounds.  That's nowhere near as encumbering as a full suit of plate armor (50-60 lbs.), much less in the same category as full plate armor.  Standard leather armor alone weighs about 15 pounds. The fact is, a brigandine jack is flexible and quiet and belongs in the light armor category.

I was considering this when I was making my revised table and I'm still on the fence about it. On one hand, medium armor is flexible enough to manuever effectively...but...it does have the potential to be noisy. This reminds me of a game I played many years ago that had "thieves' mail" — chainmail that was interlaced with small leather or canvas strips to prevent the links from clinking together when moving. 

I agree that 1st level characters should not be able to afford full plate armor. However, some people have stated that the heavy armor on my revised table is already ridiculously expensive. I'm comfortable with it being at 600 gp/1200 gp respectively. This price makes it nearly impossible for a 1st level character to purchase it, but within the grasp of 3rd level characters (maybe even fortunate 2nd level characters). I have considered increasing the protection to 17 and 18 respectively, as well. My main concern are the effects that bounded accuracy will have; Until I know more about how characters will scale at higher levels I will remain undecided on this and would rather keep ACs lower.

4) wearing light armour and having a super-high dex shouldn't be a substitute for heavy armour.

I disagree with this. The ultimate goal in combat is not to get hurt before you can defeat your enemy. If you can avoid being hit in the first place, even better. If you're agile and talented at evading attacks, why would you want to burden yourself with armor? It should balance itself out; agile combatants in light armor should have roughly the same defenses as less agile combatants in heavier armors — Perhaps slightly lower than the heaviest of armor, though.

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />and if heavy armor was that much better then light and medium then what would be the point of having them? why pay for armor that will still let you be hit on a 5? it would just mean anyone not in heavy armor would be auto-hit on AC

Because the idea is that light armour lets you maintain full mobility, while granting a small level of protection, making it idea for scouts and skirmishers, while heavy armour limits speed and mobility but grants a high level of protection, making it idea for front liners.

If full plate was no better than leather + being agile, you're basically punishing the not-agile characters by saying "you have to spend XXX amounts on armour, otherwise you'll be hit every round, while El Ninja here doesn't need to!". Therefore, while light+agile should still give a good level of defence, heavy armour should be superior.

Brigandine isn't generally worn on its own, but usually over a mail hauberk. It's certainly not skirmisher armour. Light armours should be leather or padded. I could believe brig as medium armour, but no metal armour should be light.

I would like it to be made so that every armour type has a use somewhere, by someone. Light armours by people who want to stealth, medium armours by people who want protection without losing too much mobility, and heavy armours by people who want full protection and don't care about mobility.

And if you can afford the best armour in the game at level 1, what is there left to aspire to? You already have all the kit you'll ever need, so why save up for any more?

Finally, personally I think all armours should be ramped a bit anyway, to balance out the +2 bonus that all characters have been granted. Leather should be 13 or 14, heavy mail, scale, brigandine etc should be about 16-18 and full plate should be 19, or even 20 (but with penalties to lots of stuff).
Everything expressed in this post is my opinion, and should be taken as such. I can not declare myself to be the supreme authority on all matters...even though I am right!
I agree with Ranger about the suppiriority of Heavy Armour for game purposes. Most defenders are builds that depend on armour, and they are the front liners. They pay for thier defensive statistic by sacrificing mobility, skill level and funds. If the defence you can achieve without heavy armour would be the same or suppirior to that of armour wearing characters, then the players will build thier characters to use this advantage, so they won't pay these prices and there would be no reason for having heavy armour at all.
Further more, on the scenerio of dex based defence equals or supirior to heavy armour, The front line troopers will become the dodgers and evaders: all dex based characters. they sure won't need a defender to stand behind.
That is quite off the baselines of the game.

I’ve removed content from this thread because vulgarities (even masked) are a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

I have made a suit of brig it is not a light armor it is as heavy as plate and in some cases heavier.

www.reliquary.co.uk/brig/brig1.htm

also

@Eisenritter

leave the attacks and attitude at the door. telling people that don't agree with you that they should "go" or to "go to another game" is the exact oposit of what this edition is trying to do.   
I have made a suit of brig it is not a light armor it is as heavy as plate and in some cases heavier.

That's very cool. Yeah, I'm fully aware of what brigandine is and how much it weighs. I also understand the concern that it is "heavy" — it's a metal plated vest. The reason I classified brigandine as light armor is because it's very flexible, quiet, and provides total mobility of the limbs since it's only a vest (or jack), whereas full plate armor is an entire suit of articulated metal plates. By contrast, a brigandine jack is nowhere near as encumbering as a full suit of plate armor.

Also, brigandine is actually what armors like studded leather were mistaken for. What most people think is "studded leather" is actually brigandine (the visible "studs" are actually the rivets attached to the plates on the other side of the leather/canvas).

At any rate, my revised armor table is in its first iteration. It still needs some tweaking with the armor definitions and names, as well as the prices, but I think the AC scaling and DEX mods with light and medium armors are pretty solid (still on the fence about the heavy armor ACs).

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

Brigandine weighs you down, hence it's less good for skirmishers, who want to carry as little weight as possible. I don't think it's quiet either. Let's compromise and call it medium. If for no other reason than to rule that, for balancing purposes, if you want stealth and full dex bonus, you have to wear something that isn't metal.

My table:

Light (full dex bonus and no penalties:

Padded jack: AC13 (ultra-cheap)
Leather jerkin: AC14 (cheap)

Medium (Dex bonus of up to 2, disadvantage to stealth)

Hide: AC14 (ultra cheap)
Scale: AC15 (fairly cheap)
Mail: AC16 (expensive)
Brigandine: AC17 (very expensive)

Heavy (Dex bonus of up to 1, disadvantage to stealth and spot, movement speed -5')

Heavy mail: AC17 (very expensive)
Partial plate: AC18 (really expensive)
Full plate: AC19 (phenomenally expensive)

That way, cost (and penalties) increase with protection offered, and dex can still help you out a bit if you have heavy armour.
I'm kind of in the boat of making armor cost representitive of what it would kind of actually cost. Plate is very time consuming and expensive, ergo a high cost. Whereas hide armor is less in both areas, ero less cost. 

If you make everything accessible to everyone at 1st level, then seriously why not just let everyone pick 2 weapons and a piece of armor and be done with it. No sense in having starting gold at all if that's the mentality. This wouldn't be a terrible system, mind you. But like in 4th edition, equipment prices were scaled down so that a heavy armored fighter could afford everything he needed, so light armored, one weapon characters had a ton of gold left and nothing to spend it on :P That's not really any better.
My two copper.
Brigandine weighs you down, hence it's less good for skirmishers, who want to carry as little weight as possible.

Yeah I'll concede to that; It might be a better match in the medium category.

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

I'm kind of in the boat of making armor cost representitive of what it would kind of actually cost. Plate is very time consuming and expensive, ergo a high cost. Whereas hide armor is less in both areas, ero less cost.

Actually, chain is probably more time consuming than plate... on the other hand, plate requires the time of a specialist with heavy special equipment, whereas most of the time spent on chain can be handled by pretty much anyone anywhere. Making and cutting the rings in the first place takes a specialist, but that's it.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Also, you can buy a mail hauberk from any armourer and, chances are, it'll fit you. A full plate harness has to be custom made to fit the person it was made for. It's like the difference between buying a suit from Primark, and getting one custom fitted by a professional tailor.

When I run modules, I don't let people use armour that they find straight away. I make them take it to an armourer and get it adjusted first.
after seeing the rate of acquisition of treasures (50gp/lvl*pc per adventuring day, 25gp/lvl*pc in a though encounter), I believe that the costs of the equipment are totally wrong. e.g. to earn a plate armor a character 10lvl should make 20 individual hard lvl encounters. I understand the reasons to make expensive equipment, etc. but I do not think the solution is as shown.
The best choice to make a balanced equipment system, is not to make it more and more expensive (in a very unrealistic way: a chain mail is not so cheap and a plate armor is not so expensive), but to balance the design of each single object.
And another thing: why should dexterity be less usefull with a heavy armour? You will probably be less able to dodge, but you can always parry, and deflect.
I would see much more sense in a disadvantage in all agility test (not only stealth) maybe in many strenght and constitution test (endurance, climbing, swimning etc.).
why should dexterity be less usefull with a heavy armour?
You will probably be less able to dodge, but you can always parry, and deflect.
I would see much more sense in a disadvantage in all agility test (not only stealth) maybe in many
strength and constitution test (endurance, climbing, swimning etc.).

I guess that plate armor was really cumbersome, even if tailor made. The high AC is usually representative
of the difficulty to penetrate it or the way it is deflecting hits. My opinion is that it should also limit some if
not all agility advantages and have a minus on strength, agility and (why not) constitution tests.

And it is expensive (it should be). Only the richest knights could afford to buy one. Chainmail was more
common by far (at that time banded, lamellar, ring or splint mail were already obsolete)
I guess that plate armor was really cumbersome, even if tailor made. The high AC is usually representative of the difficulty to penetrate it or the way it is deflecting hits. My opinion is that it should also limit some if not all agility advantages and have a minus on strength, agility and (why not) constitution tests.

And it is expensive (it should be). Only the richest knights could afford to buy one. Chainmail was more common by far (at that time banded, lamellar, ring or splint mail were already obsolete)

Ok, chainmail should be less expensive than plate armor for sure, but probably the difference was not so significant, since in the late Middle Ages and Renaissance, entire garrisons were equipped with that kind of armor (heavy cavalry and heavy infantry). So, even ignoring every chronological aspects, this are two kind of armor that have been widely used in war and, as such, should be relatively common. Moreover I would consider that plate mail is very different from full plate (gothic plate) and much more available on the field.

But the point is not that. The plate armor in the rules could even cost 10.000gp for as much as I am concerned: the point is that a similar amount of money (5000gp), in my opinion, should be quite easy to be acquired by a high level character in a dungeon. And I want that a low lvl character find it more profitable to go into a dungeon and kill some monster than to assault the first lone heavy infantry he stumbles upon, since selling a plate armor is by far much more profitable than looting the dead body of about 40 5th lvl monsters

About the dexterity bonus to AC, I still find much more ‘realistic’ that good reflexes are taken into account, even with heavy armor, or, if you want to be VERY realistic, that heavy armor penalizes not only the ability to avoid damage, but also the ability to strike quickly and efficiently (penalty to hit). On the other side I believe that shield should be much more useful to avoid damage. IMO this could be a realism oriented revision of the armor table:

Light armorAC Bonus 
Padded+1 vs bludgeoning10lb – 5gp
Leather+115lb - 15gp
Chain shirt:+215lb - 50gp
Medium armor (disadvantage to stealth, climb, tumble, endurance, swim) 
Studded leather +320lb – 30gp
Chain mail+550lb – 75gp 
Heavy armor (disadvantage to stealth, climb, endurance, -5feet mov. Unable to swim or tumble)
Splint mail  +660lb – 400gp
Plate mail+760lb – 500gp
Full plate+7damage resistance 1, custom made60lb – 5.000gp
Shields   
Steel buckler+1you can use bows and bastard sword1lb – 10gp
Small wooden +26lb - 5gp
Large wooden+310lb - 5gp