9/27/2012 TD: "Unleashing the Awesome

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I always hate it when I go to put on my void-shoes in the morning and get warped into a rift. On the upside, now I have a legitimate chance to efficiently consider which metaphors will be the role players to unleash in future comments.
Corpsejack Menace is my new BFF.  Once I figure out how to make GWB work.  There is more to this little gem than Gavony Township and Salvage though...

- Mikaeus, the Lunarch: tap him for two counters on all your creatures, oh and there's a 2-for-1 special on the X counters he comes into play with too.
- Champion of the Parish: He grows twice as quickly.
- Champion of Lamholt: She also grows twice as quickly and without needing white.
- Travel Preparations: one of my favourite little utility spells gets even better: for two mana, two creatures get two counters EACH.

Yeah, I'm gonna have fun with this ugly little puppy, that's for darn sure.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
The blue guilds made out like thieves in this set, and whoever said Wizards hates control is eating their words right now. This is going to be the most miserable Standard since . . . well, last year.
I liked this article and its not something I often say about Flores's articles. However, I think his wrong with martial law. It has a crucial problem. If it would say "at the beginning of an opponents upkeep", it might be usable. Now it doesn't and its going to spend one turn doing nothing. Nobody likes cards that do nothing. Except maybe null rod ;)

I agree with Flores in that Ash zealot is the best offensive red two-drop ever.
I can't wait to try out aggro in new standard, especially since we don't have colorhosers against red around this time!

huhuhuhuhu 
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
Detain's effect reads: "Until your next turn, that permanent can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated." If Martial Law triggers during an opponent's upkeep, it will be able to block/use it's activated abilities on your next turn - effectively a one-turn Arrest effect. Since it triggers on your upkeep, it becomes an effect that lasts two turns.
Detain's effect reads: "Until your next turn, that permanent can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated." If Martial Law triggers during an opponent's upkeep, it will be able to block/use it's activated abilities on your next turn - effectively a one-turn Arrest effect. Since it triggers on your upkeep, it becomes an effect that lasts two turns.

Whats the practical difference if its a continuous effect? The point is to prevent attacking.  Activated abilities can be used in response to the trigger anyway. And blocking... meh irrelevant. If I'd play martial law in constructed, I wouldnt do it so I could attack with my azorius token or whatever. It would be to prevent some big fatty from attacking. 

Ultimately I just wanted to say that martial law  is not a good card.
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild

Whats the practical difference if its a continuous effect? The point is to prevent attacking.  Activated abilities can be used in response to the trigger anyway. And blocking... meh irrelevant. If I'd play martial law in constructed, I wouldnt do it so I could attack with my azorius token or whatever. It would be to prevent some big fatty from attacking. 

Ultimately I just wanted to say that martial law  is not a good card.

How is blocking irrelevent?  If you use detain on a big fatty and it only prevents attacking then you have a big fatty in your way when you are trying to attack.  It also forces them to use activated abilities prematurely so you don't have to worry about them during your attack step or during their turn.

Martial Law may not be a great card that is going to see play in every white deck, but it is not bad.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I think Flores didn't really take his time to read Precinct Captain. It is actually not possible to lose a Rancor'ed Captain in combat and still put a token onto the battlefield, because the captain has first strike. So either 1) The captain kills the blocker AND makes a token; or 2) the captain kills the blocker and DOESN'T make a token; or 3) the battle is a stalemate (against, say, a 1/5); or 4) the captain is killed (by a 2/5 or greater) and doesn't make a token.

Of course, the two cards are still a powerful aggro combo, but this bugged me in the article.
ricklongo and RicardoLongo on MTGO. Check out my articles at PureMTGO
or 5) the blocker also has first strike, both creatures die and you do get a token.
I think Flores didn't really take his time to read Precinct Captain. It is actually not possible to lose a Rancor'ed Captain in combat and still put a token onto the battlefield, because the captain has first strike. So either 1) The captain kills the blocker AND makes a token; or 2) the captain kills the blocker and DOESN'T make a token; or 3) the battle is a stalemate (against, say, a 1/5); or 4) the captain is killed (by a 2/5 or greater) and doesn't make a token.

Of course, the two cards are still a powerful aggro combo, but this bugged me in the article.

It can lose to another first strike or double strike creature (such as another Precinct Captain).
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Inaction Injunction:

Three magic words...

Any guesses which three?

Did anyone else immediately guess "What's your function"?
I'm also not sold on martial law, it might find a spot in some control decks but it really only seems good if you've got the board sweepers to go with it. supreme verdict is the best of the board sweepers and is W/U. In addition it's another 4 mana spell plus the fact that control decks don't really have any great counterspells and I just don't see this fitting in anywhere. Lastly cards like keening apparition and sundering growth will see plenty of sideboards and potentially even some main decks. While I won't be surprised if a decklist here or there utilizes martial law I don't see it being a staple anywhere in the metagame the way that we've seen from other 4 mana white spells in the past (like day of judgment).

cremate was hardly used last time it was standard legal. It was used out of the sideboard in some decks but it doesn't seem like it was even a sideboard staple. I'm not entirely sold on the inaction injunction either. I understand these will probably get played somewhere because of the cantrip but I don't think they'll be very prevalent.

Here is what I find strange about the article. There are two white cards, two red cards, two black cards, and two blue cards. There are two cards from each different guild color combination....... Something is missing here, could be coincidence or maybe he just didn't see any interesting green cards.
Don't be too smart to have fun

While a reusable Arrest would indeed be quite powerful, Martial Law has some gaps.  It can't stop a creature the turn it comes down.  Although Mike mentioned Thragtusk you'll still take a hit from that 3/3 beast until you get another upkeep to detain it.  And if you're trying to stop something with an activated ability, they get an opening during your upkeep while the re-target is on the stack.

Consider Elspeth, Knight-Errant, who often found herself making chump-blockers turn after turn.  As such she was reasonable competent at stopping a single ground-attacker.  But did so immediately, and obviously with a great deal more flexibility.  Considering how narrowly Martial Law does it's one thing, I think those gaps will prove hard to forgive.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Sign In to post comments