Please help this newbie with deck managing.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Been playing a few weeks on the ipad and I'v recently unlocked all of the Exalted Darkness deck but I'm having a hard time figuring out what cards to keep in a deck. You guys take out cards so that your deck has only 60, right? Is there somewhere online that I can see. I see all kinds of decks online for regular MTG but not for DOTPW. I'm guessing this is becuase this isn't really full deck-buiding but doesn't it still make a big difference what cards I have in my library?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

There's a list of deckbuilds here that a forum member put together - it has one decent build for every deck:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Otherwise, you can search the forum - type 'nefarox exalted darkness deck list' in the search box, and you should be able to find the thread devoted to it. The search function is a pain though and it could take some time to find what you want.
Cool. Thanks.
You can also google "exalted darkness guide".. some vids from youtube or links from toptiertactics or wizard forum would appear...

Here are a couple links that might be useful:

Beginners' Guide: Flinging Fire in Duels 2013 - This article goes through the Born of Flame deck with beginner players in mind. It has a few strategy tips that apply to pretty much all decks.

Should you keep that hand? A quick guide to mulligans - Is an article on Top Tier Tactics which, as atatski mentioned, is also a pretty good site for pick up on deck building tips for Duels 2013.

Also to answer your question, yes a lot of people narrow their decks down to a 60 card count. It generally makes them more efficient by increasing the chance that you'll draw the most useful cards that deck has to offer. It's the same way in paper MTG. 

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Thanks for all the help. This is all great.
Does anyone know of a good summary somewhere of when to mulligan that isn't a 14 minute video?

I just went through and looked at mobius's 1v1 guide and they all seem to be pretty solid deck builds though I can't tell if his Jace build is control or mill. After lots of trial and error, many of mine are similar with a couple of differences (e.g. +2 Hostility in Born of Flame).

Though honestly, keep playing and watching how opponents run their decks and what they do. Seems to be the best way to actually learn the game rather than reading stats and deck-lists online---even though this is ever so helpful.

Personally, I like to make my own builds, I don't pay much attention to others. I'll happily hear any advice and opinons, and sometimes change my deck to reflect that, but the best advice I can give to you is to just look through and ask yourself about each card, 'do I need this? Can I live without it? Are there better options, and how often will I get to use it how I want to, and how often will it just be a useless card?' After thinking on it a little, you should be able to come to your own conclusions. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Althought tedious, unlocking each deck's card one by one was a great help to me. Every time I got a new card, I had to decide what to cut. While playing, every time I drew a card I tried to remember if it was a relief or a burden that I drew it. I also watched to see which cards were just sitting in my hand for long periods of time.

I think the only deck that turned out different than I wanted was Jace's. I really want to run that as a turbo mill, but it keeps turning into the control version. Since I think other decks are much better at control, I wish I could figure out an OK turbo mill build.

The problem I have with the turbo mill build is that it depends on forcing your opponent to draw a lot of cards. I really hate giving an opponent more resources to work with.
Does anyone know of a good summary somewhere of when to mulligan that isn't a 14 minute video?

There was a thread on here that a lot of people had input regarding mulligans.

I think the one that was simplest was "how many cards can I play without drawing anything?".  It varies a bit, but most of the time if you have 0-1 plays that's a toss, 2 is a bit of a judgement call (most decks have a few key pieces that will tip the scales there), 3 or more is generally a keeper.  Obviously as you mulligan you get less picky.
Personally, I like to make my own builds, I don't pay much attention to others. I'll happily hear any advice and opinons, and sometimes change my deck to reflect that, but the best advice I can give to you is to just look through and ask yourself about each card, 'do I need this? Can I live without it? Are there better options, and how often will I get to use it how I want to, and how often will it just be a useless card?' After thinking on it a little, you should be able to come to your own conclusions. 

I agree completely. I do the same, I'll read and join in on the discussions in this forum, and some of the advice I read can lead me to change my decks (sometimes drastically) due to points I had never considered. It's great having this forum to discuss cards and strategies, it's definitely made me a better player and deck builder. But I build my own decks, I never pay attention to other's deck builds, though I sometimes enjoy the individual card analysis' that accompany those deck lists.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I have quite a lot of success with this aggro version of the deck in Ranked matches. It certainly worked a lot better than any of the control versions of the deck I tried. It can rack up some very fast wins and will often squash flat slow developing decks before they can get going. It is very weak against certain deck types however, Goblin Gangland and the New Aura deck to name two. Still I would recomend it as a decent starting point for you to fine tune to fit your style.

In this version of the deck 2 Land hands are fine but mulligan anything with less than 2 or more than 4 lands or any draws where the mana available doesn't match weenies in your hand ie: 2 B when you have only small white weenies in hand.

3 - Evolving Wilds
1 - Demonic Tutor
2 - Cathedral of War
2 - Duty-Bound Dead
2 - Akrasan Squire
4 - Aven Squire
2 - Darklit Gargoyle
1 - Doom Blade
2 - Pacifism
2 - Knight of Glory
1 - Mark of Asylum
2 - Knight of Infamy
3 - Unmake
1 - pillory Of The Sleepless
2 - Servant of Nefarox
1 - Whispersilk Cloak
2 - Vindicate
1 - Mortify
1 - Sublime Archangel
2 - Silent Arbiter
1 - Worship
1 - Battlegrace Angel
1 - Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis

Althought tedious, unlocking each deck's card one by one was a great help to me. Every time I got a new card, I had to decide what to cut. While playing, every time I drew a card I tried to remember if it was a relief or a burden that I drew it. I also watched to see which cards were just sitting in my hand for long periods of time. I think the only deck that turned out different than I wanted was Jace's. I really want to run that as a turbo mill, but it keeps turning into the control version. Since I think other decks are much better at control, I wish I could figure out an OK turbo mill build. The problem I have with the turbo mill build is that it depends on forcing your opponent to draw a lot of cards. I really hate giving an opponent more resources to work with.

They key to Turbo Mill in this game isn't cards drawn, it's cards played. My Turbo Mill can dump my hand every turn while drawing 3+ cards, and the non-weenie decks can't. It doesnt matter if you give them cards if they can't play them. 

Here is the build, designed by Gegliosch:

Islands (25)

Creatures (13)

2x Hedron Crab
4x Jace's Phantasm
2x Aether Adept
3x Dreamborn Muse
2x Chancellor of the Spires

Other Spells (23)

3x Thought Scour
2x Tome Scour
2x Unsummon