Short MVW Drafting Guide

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I updated my old MVW drafting article to give everyone that is interested in this format a quick guide on what to look out for in terms of money value.
I also provide a short list of important strategic insight from my experience with the format. The drafts are up and running and provide awesome value.

www.mtgoacademy.com/the-quick-guide-to-m...

Hope it is useful and good luck in the queues,

Plejades

MTGO ACADEMY - Magic the Gathering Online Strategy, Articles, Videos, and Cards: The prime source for Magic the Gathering strategy.

http://www.mtgoacademy.com/

Mystical Tutor and Anvil of Bogardan are listed twice. Choking Sands is misspelled. Also noticed later on that Rock Slide was misspelled.
Rock Silde – Can wipe out an entire army.

Thanks for the link. Any chance you could split the money singles up by set? Makes it easier to scan the list while drafting!
Thanks for the information.

I corrected the errors.

MTGO ACADEMY - Magic the Gathering Online Strategy, Articles, Videos, and Cards: The prime source for Magic the Gathering strategy.

http://www.mtgoacademy.com/

Ugh, I wish it was slow.  At least my experience last night the format was not slow.  It probably didn't help that both games the person two for oned me with the red card that destroyed a creature and a land of mine.

The ping enchantment that can be saced.  Yeah, I need to pay attention to that it can be saced.
bah, I had a great R/B deck today, only to get owned by elephant grass and a pro black dude  (4/4 even)   (never saw any red cards to help me out)

But I'll be back tomorrow

MVW drafts, we'll miss you until next time!

Something to add to your drafting guide: watch the clock!
In your singles list, Desertion is misspelled. The card image is not showing up.

Games in this format do seem to take a lot longer. I think it is because the creatures are generally weak and expensive.
Visions/Weatherlight had a bunch of good creatures for limited at least. 
I think maybe games take longer due to lots of spot removal and mass removal like Infernal Harvest/Rockslide not being rare. 
Most of my games went quick. Most slow games I played were due to my opps just not having played those sets much. 

Many opponents didn't fully understand flanking mechanic. I won several close games because of it. 

White pretty much stinks unless you can monopolize the color- then it still isn't great except Empyrial Armor is a beating. Plenty of cards can handle that though... Phantom Wings tend to float till 13th-14th pick and even Sun Clasp let alone actual removal cards. Not enough Griffins in the draft to build around (reliably) and the knights are not nearly as good as the other colors. 

The draft really doesn't begin till Visions gets opened. 
Mirage has some amazing cards- Ray of command, K Torch, and a few more bombs but mainly support stuff and spot removal-
Most winning decks sport (in multiples) River Boas / Breezekeeper / Crypt Rats-Infernal Harvest
Weatherlight gives Green lots more beats and card draw beats. Red gets Cyclops/Fire Whip/Lava Storm... Blue gets Cloud Djinn finisher- Black gets regen guys. 
I think most finals decks sported those few cards, usually in multiples. 
In Mirage I try to pick up good removal (if you see any) then Wall of Roots/Quirion Elf type cards and plan to go green and whatever removal color I get. The B/G guildmages are good too- Flare and the Knights are above average. The median cards are pretty poor-
Then Visions you hopefully open River Boa/Breezekeeper or Nekrataal if you're super lucky. Crypt Rats/Infernal Harvest are great but force B and can get run over sometimes. 3-1 Regen guys scoop to Fire Whip stuff and big beats can run over B before they can Infernal Harvest then get mana back on the board-

Green beats with River Boa and cantrip cards is what I won with/lost to  the most. Green splash Blue or Red is the way to go imo and the cardpool exists whether your neighbors play the same colors or no. Black has great removal but a lot of those deck sporting 3-1 regen creatures/ Necratog finisher type cards were pretty reliant on certain cards like Infernal Harvest/ Crypt Rats going off exactly as needed- Wicked Reward was played against me a lot and it's a risky card- 

I used to think mono black was the way to go with this format but this time around I beat about 7 out of eight opps trying to force the green with support- I think a good # of people are just unfamiliar with the sets though. I won plenty of games due to a mistake on my opps part. 

Whoever Worldslayer is on MTGO smashed me. If it weren't for him/her I'd probably won close to 10 consecutive MVW drafts a couple times. 

I made lots of stupid mistakes while playing which I can't blame on not knowing the cards. More like not paying attention to the game.

I crushed a mono-black opponent after sideboarding my Mangara's Equity. I think Parapet is under-rated. I've completely stalled a green offensive with a couple of them in play and a Gossamer Chains or two. Banding just makes things sweeter.
Yes, Mangaras Equity is a beating, i sided it in against a heavy black deck, and also had an enlightened tutor to find it. (played e.tutor mainly because of 2 empyrial armor)

For me the format was far from slow, i mostly followed the good advice in the guide written above and played R/G. That meant that either i crushed my opponent with my large creatures or my opponent killed me with evasion. Most games were over around turn 8 or 9.

Boy, did the blue creatures suck. Almost everytime my opponents played a guy with phasing i got happy. only exception is the 4/4 flyer for 3U, that guy hits pretty hard.
Boy, did the blue creatures suck. Almost everytime my opponents played a guy with phasing i got happy. only exception is the 4/4 flyer for 3U, that guy hits pretty hard.

There are a bunch of blue creatures that are skill-testers. I agree that the Breezekeeper was the only playable common phaser. But, I think there's a lot of Blue creatures you can build around. Azimaet Drake is pretty good evasion and can deal with opposing Griffins pretty well. Dream Fighter pretty much shuts down green, including its single flanker. With a couple late-pick soldiers in play, a single Cloud Elemental can win you the game. Knight of the Mists coupled with a Shrieking Drake can wreck some decks. The drake is also a decent way to deal with a pacified creature. I nearly decked myself once with my Ophidian enchanted with Phantom Wings. Related to creatures, I've effectively used early Mana Chains to slow down my opponent's board development to the point where I could stall the game and win with evasion (or, the clock).

Serrated Biskelion with a couple of Parapet's in play was lots of fun. Add one or two Shrieking Drakes or just a single Dragon Mask to make it insane.
I guess im fortunate that my blue opponents never went as deep as in those examples above.

Anyway, i should probably change my statement to most blue creatures. Azimaet drake is solid, and Waterspout Djinn was a titanic beating everytime it came down turn 4. it almost felt better than in Zendikar, even if there is no landfall in MVW. Guess thats creature-powercreep for you.

Cloud elemental, however, i was never sad to see. It could never block any of my guys, and they almost never killed me before i killed them so.....
Cloud elemental, however, i was never sad to see. It could never block any of my guys, and they almost never killed me before i killed them so.....

I'd never want more than one in my deck, and it was never an early pick. Not being able to block is a serious disadvantage, no matter how many Parapets in the deck. But, if your deck has the resilence to set up a stall, you can ride it for the win.

Sign In to post comments