Splinterfright Centered Deck, U/G or B/G?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need advice or deck suggestions for a deck centered around Splinterfright, I love that guy.

So i've only been playing Magic for about 6 months and have just recently begun to attend my local game shop's FNM. I started playing theg Grave Power intro pack when I first started and i've been playing a modified version of it ever since. Splinterfright idealizes what I want this deck to do, grow more powefull even as my creatures die. Till now i've been playing the deck U/G for some power creature mill but with RTR i'm wondering if B/G would be more appropriate? What deck do you guys think Splinterfright would work best in?

Here is my current deck:

Should I keep the deck U/G heading into RTR just adding some new graveyard flavour G cards or should I kick out the blue for all the new Golgari cards. I love how fast the blue mills though and i'm worried that U/b won't be able to mill fast enough.

What are your thoughts?
If you want my advice then I would suggest :U::G::B:

This means that, all at once, you have access to:

Mulch
Forbidden Alchemy (plus flashback)
Spider Spawning (with flashback)
Laboratory Maniac
Psychic Spiral(from RTR) 
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
Additionally, this is my advice for improving the deck

Mulch is fantastic for this deck, it helps you hit your land drops and mills you at the same time
Jace, Memory Adept is a milling machine and a win condition in himself
Spider Spawning, Laboratory Maniac, Kessig Cagebreakers and Psychic Spiral are all win conditions
Armored Skaab gives you a blocker and mills you
Forbidden Alchemy helps you filter your decks while not letting the cards you want get away
Snapcaster Mage makes use of spells in your graveyard
Thought Scour draws you and mills you

As for what you have, Archeomancer is slow, I am not a fan personally while Sleep and Gnaw to the bone are not great (well, sleep is cool but not necessary for this deck)
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
I've always found this type of deck to be fun but i wouldn't run laboratory maniac unless you have a really good way to protect him. Here's the list that I would run (without changing your original list too much).

lands 22 ( you can certianly substitute the "gate cycle" lands for any duals if budget is a problem.)

still the same basic deck, and Jarad plus ghoul tree, or boneyard or splinterfright seems pretty sick, this is almost the exact list that i plan on running post rotation.  Really i think Jarad is what's going to take this deck from "really good casual deck" status to legitimate tournament deck. i think my final list will likely run some number of abrupt decay and snapcaster mage.

EDIT: if anything i think i would go -2 ghoultree -1 gnaw to the bone, +3 abrupt decay.
As far as blue green goes, I've done quite well in FNM with it.

I have 4 ghoultrees, 4 splinterfrights, 2 boneyard wurms (not a fan)

Boneyards aren't REALLY a turn 2 drop, they are more like a turn 3-4 drop, which by that time you can get a ghoultree out.

Get 4 Armored Skaab. 1/4 creature, mills 4, only costs 3? I also run 4 Deranged Alchemist and 2 Ruinator Skkaab just in case I need a clutch monster.

Also don't forget Artful Dodge. 2 turn win with a ghoultree out. So far, it has been extremely consistent. Not really a "luck deck" when everything I play are creatures (for their utility) and spells with flashback. Which means I don't run Mulch since nothing in the deck is above 3 mana anyway (besides ghoultree). 
From the desk of Ari Lax, SCG Premium writer:

BUG Self-Mill
Featured by Ari Lax on 2012-09-30 (Standard)
As written about in www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/2...
Print this deck!
Maindeck:

Creatures
2 Armored Skaab
3 Avacyn's Pilgrim
1 Borderland Ranger
2 Deadbridge Goliath
3 Deranged Assistant
3 Dreg Mangler
3 Korozda Guildmage
2 Lotleth Troll
4 Splinterfright
2 Ulvenwald Tracker

Instants
2 Gnaw to the Bone
4 Grisly Salvage

Legendary Creatures
2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

Sorceries
4 Mulch

Basic Lands
4 Forest
1 Island
2 Swamp

Lands
2 Drowned Catacomb
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Overgrown Tomb
3 Woodland Cemetery
Sideboard:

3 Thragtusk
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Golgari Charm
3 Garruk Relentless
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
3 Duress

Don't think you need more than just Mulch and Grisly Salvage in this sort of deck, and splashing blue for some number of Armored Skab is great, because it both mills you and gives you a blocker.

(at)MrEnglish22

There is also Gavin Verhey's list from last week, though he was bound by the fact that he couldnt use RTR cards that hadnt been officially spoiled

I know it lacks blue but I thought it offered a nice insight
Show
Blue gives you milling power, but Black gives you more win conditions, and it gives you good milling power, along with stronger removal.  Black also gives you a more aggressive early game with zombies.    
Thanks for the great responses guys! It does seem as nopemx6 mentioned that the choice between blue and black is a choice between faster mill or more win conditions. 

@Cogminded Mulch is an amazing card and i've always been on the fence about including it. Many of the cards you recomended are certainly great for the mill aspect of the deck. I think I may try something more like Gavin Verhey's list that you posted. Looks interesting.

@supafongboon I completely agree about the Boneyard Wurm. They're a nice card but certainly not a T2 drop. The */* is nice once you have a lot of creatures milled but thats not going to happen till turn 4 or so. Splinterfright of course has his own milling built in so its not nearly as dependant on others cards.

@mogg_flinger_ I really like the deck you put together. Specifically the new golgaric cards that really do fit into this deck style really well. Deathrite Shaman, Dreg Mangler and of course Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord are all amazing and will definitely have a great place in the deck. I see how with a lot of land fetch just having one or two island could work in a tricolor deck, just a splash I guess. But I wonder if its worth it for just the Tracker's instinct.

@Jman22 That is a great deck. Looks a bit expensive though and I don't understand the Avacyn's Pilgrim. The Deadbridge Goliath is particularly attractive since it would be part of the mana curve that i'm lacking at the moment.

Okay I think I have a good grasp on the cards I want to keep from my U/G mill deck and which cards I want to put in from the different colors:

Keeepers:
4x Dawntreader Elk (A good two drop that fetchs land, has always been a solid card in the past)
2x-4x Boneyard Wurm (there are better 2 drops then the wurm though he has nice syngery with B/G sacrifice effects)
4x Splinterfright (He's the star of the show!)
4x Ghoultree (Good top deck and nice mid-game to boot)
4x Mulch (an excellent 2 drop that mills and fetchs land, i've used these before but looks like i'll include them again)

Black Cards that Fit:
Deathrite Shaman (While he's just another creature card in the graveyard on the battle field he can both mana ramp AND alter the life balance)
Korozda Guildmage (Both abilites are great just a little mana intensive, A great card but not the best 2 drop in the deck, still a nice ard)
Dreg Mangler (3/3 with haste for 3 is great especially if you factor in his extra usefullness in the grave, though his scavenge wouldn't be huge)
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord (An amazing card period. I will definitely use him if I can find or buy him.)
Deadbridge Goliath (I really like this card for some reason, 5/5 for 4 is great but even more I find that his scavenge could be usefull late game)
Abrupt Decay I've never really run a lot of removal but I like the cut of this card's jib, might be best for a sideboard though
Grisly Salvage Another card that made me say, wow. Its basically the best of both worlds between Tracker's Instinct and mulch. Autoinclude
Jarad's Orders I do love fetch and this is both fetch,mill, and sift combined together. Not sure if its worth it though
Spider Spawning A great lategame card to use but doesn't really work as well with the big creatures in this deck.

Blue Cards that Fit:
Armored Skaab This has been a staple of mine for awhile and I forgot to include it in the OP. Utterly reliable card.
Tracker's Instinct Not really a blue card but its flashback cost is what makes the card worthwhile
Sleep I've used it to help control the board and let my big fatties swing but I was never that enticed by it.

Hmm, after the analysis it certainly looks as though I have fewer blue card that i'll miss. Armoured Skaab will be the big loss but I think that Grisly Salvage more then makes up for his depature. Okay here is my new list and my rebirth (fiting for Golgari) as a B/G deck!

I think i'm pretty happy with this deck though it seems as though it could get pretty expensive. The dual lands have always been hard to obtain in my limited experience. Still its a goal to work towards! What d you guys think? 
Have you ever thought about losing the Dawntreader Elk?  You have an overabundance of 2 drops (16!) and 12 of them can get you mana (Elk, Mulch, Grisly Salvage).    I think you'd be better off with 4 Diregraf Ghoul or 4 GravecrawlerJarad's Orders is worth it too, especially since you're loving Splinterfright.  
Overall the deck has a fairly low mana curve but you are right about the overabundance of 2 drops. I suppose if in playtesting I start having problems then I can add in some Jarad's Orders or more likely another creature. I like having the land fetch from the Elk though.
The Elk is a strong card for this kind of deck for two reasons. Its a blocker, a landfetcher and it fills a slot into the graveyard to get the ball rolling.
Show
If any one is asking how to make a good splinterfight deck e mail me at John_J.Brand@yahoo.com I have the best splinterfright deck so far in the state on Michigan
Sign In to post comments