Duskwood Abomination [RtR Spoilers]

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This card was inspired by the original meaning of "eldrotch".

Duskwood Abomination {2B}
Creature -- Zombie Elf Horror {R}
Whenever Duskwood Abomination becomes the target of a scavenge ability, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
As long as there are eight or more +1/+1 counters on Duskwood Abomination, it has trample.
{B}: Regenerate Duskwood Abomination
2/2
Changes by currency
2. It's now a 2/2 without intimidate that gets two +1/+1 counters instead of one and regens for {B}.
1. redid the regen ability.  Ironically, I'd meant to redo it in MSE but forgot.
Original aibility
{B/G}, remove all +1/+1 counters from Duskwood Abomination: Regenerate Duskwood Abomination

• Should it cost {1BB}, {2B}, {2BB}, or {3B}?

• Does the +1/+1 counter ability put a counter on the Abomination in addition t those it gets from, say, Korozda Monitor?

• Should I up the regen ability's cost any if the cost changes?

• Would the regen ability be too cumbersome if it removed half the +1/+1 counters, rounded up, on the card from it and could only be activated if there are two or more +1/+1 counters on it?

• Other thoughts are welcome.

Needs more abilities.

L1 Judge

The regen is a feel bad ability, because it resets your dude. Why would anyone ever play this when there's lol troll around?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
The first ability does absolutely nothing in most games and won't reward you even if you do manage to scavenge, because what creature needs another single +1/+1 counter after having just gained four or five of them? The second ability sounds very random and only belongs onto creatures where it's heavily justified by the flavor.. The last ability encourages players to not activate scavenge in the first place, and regeneration has anti-synergy with intimidate because that allows the creature to avoid combat and being damaged.. The creature has many random abilities, without enough synergy between them justifying the combination!
Cats, you posted while I was editing.  Thus, you didn't get to see the changes.  As for the flavor, it's meant to be and eldritch abomination since "eldritch" originally meant "elven".
I don't like Intimidate on this.  It makes Trample rather redundant, and regen less relevant since it won't be blocked nearly as much.

Hybrid regen cost seems odd on a monocolor card.  Obviously you'll have the black to activate it if you cast it in the first place.  I'd either make the mana cost hybrid as well, or make the regen a monocolored ability.  Black or green activation could both work.

Maybe give 2 extra +1/+1 counters instead of 1?  As mentioned, the single +1/+1 counter seems fairly marginal.  Also, if it's going to use a lot of +1/+1 counters, I'd prefer even stats (ie, 2/2 or 1/1).  Makes keeping track of things easier.
I've made the suggested changes.
Personally, to make it less narrow, why not make the first ability; "If a +1/+1 counter would be put on CARDNAME, instead put two +1/+1 counters on  it." and scrap the regeneration ability. It makes it cleaner and only does one thing; play with +1/+1 counters. Also, it should be green; I'm not getting the black flavour.
Personally, to make it less narrow, why not make the first ability; "If a +1/+1 counter would be put on CARDNAME, instead put two +1/+1 counters on  it." and scrap the regeneration ability. It makes it cleaner and only does one thing; play with +1/+1 counters. Also, it should be green; I'm not getting the black flavour.

The flavor is black, but the mechanics are green. Actually, a lot of the mechanics could be black.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt