RTR Sealed Pool & Draft Question

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

When building a sealed pool for the RTR prerelease can I change my deck between rounds by adding and removing cards from my pool?

Is this rule specific for the prerelease or all sealed events? Are the rules for a draft event different?

Thanks,

-Chris-
if the event uses decklists you cannot change cards between matches, you have to revert it to your registered deck

between games you can sideboard as much as you want, you can even change the decksize and add additional land

this is true for all limited tournaments and differs from constructed tournaments (where you can only sideboard by switching out cards 1:1 and have to keep the same deck size)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Do any pre-release use decklists?

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

not sure, but I thought I'd mention it just in case his does
If I remember pre-release correctly, you may make any changes you like to your deck between games.

Criteria are:
-minimum 40 cards
-use only the cards you were given, plus any basic lands you wish

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

The judge may specifically announce that you can't do this. If he doesn't, you're free to make swaps between rounds.
All Generalizations are Bad
Between rounds... but not between games? Or are they the same?

You can make swaps between games in any tournament format where there are multiple games per round. It's called sideboarding.
rounds means different matches in this case
within the match you can sideboard between games, I don't think a judge can stop that
Errr... matches are rounds are games?

a tournament has rounds, in those rounds you play matches, in those matches you play games (in those games you have turns, in those turns you have phases, in those phases you have steps :p)

Magiception!
Pre-releases are the only sanctioned event where you can sideboard between matches AND games. Every other sanctioned event you may only sideboard between games but between matches you must revert back to your origonal deck list.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
You can make swaps between games in any tournament format where there are multiple games per round. It's called sideboarding.

That is very general awnser ;)
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
Pre-releases are the only sanctioned event where you can sideboard between matches AND games. Every other sanctioned event you may only sideboard between games but between matches you must revert back to your origonal deck list. 

That's not true. From the magic tournament rules:

Players participating in Limited tournaments that do not use decklists may freely change the composition of their decks between matches by exchanging cards from their deck for cards in their sideboard without being required to return their deck to its original composition before their next match. The Head Judge or Tournament Organizer must inform players if this option is not being used prior to the start of deckbuilding. This option is not available at Competitive or Professional REL tournament.

For all Regular Rules Enforcement Level limited events (this includes prereleases, but also FNM drafts, and any limited event a tournament organizer may want to host and that is not part of an official WotC program), the Head Judge can choose to not ask for decklists. If he doesn't ask for decklists and he allows it, decks can  be modified between rounds.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Confusion abounds! The rules answers everything concicesly, so I'm just going to quote them.

How to use a side board:
A sideboard is a group of additional cards the player may use to modify his or her deck between games of a match. The player may use these cards in his or her main deck during all games after the first one in a match. Other items (token cards, double-faced card represented in the deck by a checklist card, etc) should be kept separate from the sideboard during game play.

Before the beginning of the second or subsequent game in a match, players may change the composition of their deck by exchanging cards from their deck for cards in their sideboard. If players restart a game due to an in-game effect, the composition of their decks must remain the same for the restarted game.

Before each game begins, players must present their sideboard (if any) face down and, if requested, allow their opponents to count the number of cards in their sideboard. Players are not required to reveal how many cards they have swapped from their main deck to their sideboard.

During a game, players may look at their own sideboard and the sideboard of any players they currently control. The sideboard must remain clearly distinguishable from other cards.

The deck and sideboard must each be returned to their original compositions before the first game of each match.

Restrictions on the composition and use of a sideboard can be found in the deck construction rules for a particular format type.

If a penalty causes a player to lose the first game in a match before that game has begun, or the first game is intentionally drawn before any cards are played, neither player may use cards from his or her sideboard for the next game in the match.

What the sideboard is in a Limited tournament, and special rules for Limited play:
Any drafted or opened cards not used in a player’s Limited deck function as his or her sideboard.

Players may request additional basic land cards for their sideboard. There are no restrictions on the number of cards a player may exchange this way as long as the main deck contains at least forty cards. Cards do not need to be exchanged on a one-for-one basis.

Players participating in Limited tournaments that do not use decklists may freely change the composition of their decks between matches by exchanging cards from their deck for cards in their sideboard without being required to return their deck to its original composition before their next match. The Head Judge or Tournament Organizer must inform players if this option is not being used prior to the start of deckbuilding. This option is not available at Competitive or Professional REL tournaments.