Duel hand crossbow wielding or two handed crossbow rogue?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,

i am a fairly new player rolling my first Rogue. I am planning to go  for a ranged build and I am wondering if two one hand crossbow's or one full sized crossbow would be better (or if it is even allowed)? i am weighing toward two one hand bows just for the sheer style factor of it all.

I would also appreciate any pointers about where to put my stats if anyone has any advice they would like to give.

Thanks for your time.

You can't deal Sneak Attack with a regular crossbow and you'd have to spend a feat (or maybe a background, not sure if there is one for ranged weapons) on proficiency, so hand crossbow is probably the way to go.

SNEAK ATTACK
When you make an attack with a light blade, a hand crossbow, a shortbow, or a sling and hit an enemy granting combat advantage to you, that enemy takes extra damage based on your level (see the Sneak Attack table). You can deal this extra damage only once per turn. 

That makes alot of sence actually since I found a feat along the lines of 'Proficency, Crossbow'. Sounds like hand cross bows is the wayto go then. Thanks for the tip, do you have any advice for stats at all?
That makes alot of sence actually since I found a feat along the lines of 'Proficency, Crossbow'. Sounds like hand cross bows is the wayto go then. Thanks for the tip, do you have any advice for stats at all?

For basic building advice I'd take a look at the Rogue handbook -> Han Shot First 
Here's a build I made a while ago that fits this concept. The purpose of Rogue|Ranger MC Fighter is to get snap shot, two-fisted shooter and battle fury stance on the same character.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sparrow, level 30
Revenant, Ranger|Rogue, Lyrandar Wind-Rider, Destined Scion
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Combat Talent
Ranger Combat Talent: Prime Shot (Hybrid)
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Constitution)
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Dexterity)
Choose your Race in Life: Drow
Background: Officer Who Came Out of Retirement, Auspicious Birth (Officer Who Came Out of Retirement Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 24, Dex 30, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 48 Fort: 45 Reflex: 45 Will: 44
HP: 181 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 45

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +23, Insight +23, Thievery +30, Acrobatics +32, Stealth +32, Intimidate +23, Athletics +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +15, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +18, Endurance +24, Heal +18, History +16, Nature +18, Religion +15, Streetwise +16

FEATS
Level 1: Ruthless Hunter
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Crossbow) (retrained to Lightning Soul at Level 11)
Level 4: Two-Fisted Shooter
Level 6: Master at Arms
Level 8: Wrathful Warrior
Level 10: Acolyte Power
Level 11: Mark of Storm
Level 12: Hybrid Talent
Level 14: Called Shot
Level 16: Hidden Sniper
Level 18: Reserve Maneuver
Level 20: Merciless Killer
Level 21: Bow Mastery
Level 22: Prime Quarry
Level 24: Improved Defenses
Level 26: Epic Resurgence
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Superior Will

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Disheartening Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Reserve Maneuver: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike (retrained to King's Castle at Level 3)
Hybrid daily 1: Blinding Barrage
Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid daily 5: Flying Steel
Hybrid utility 6: Tumble (retrained to Battle Fury Stance at Acolyte Power)
Hybrid encounter 7: Snap Shot
Hybrid daily 9: Knockout
Hybrid utility 10: Acrobat's Escape
Hybrid encounter 13: Biting Volley (replaces King's Castle)
Hybrid daily 15: Confounding Arrows (replaces Blinding Barrage)
Hybrid utility 16: Anticipate Attack (Rogue)
Hybrid encounter 17: Pounding Barrage (replaces Disruptive Strike)
Hybrid daily 19: Reactive Shot (replaces Flying Steel)
Hybrid utility 22: Dazzling Acrobatics
Hybrid encounter 23: Manticore's Volley (replaces Biting Volley)
Hybrid daily 29: Five-Missile Dance (replaces Reactive Shot)

ITEMS
Bracers of Archery (paragon tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Battle Harness Starleather Armor +6, Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (epic tier), Eberron Shard of Lightning (epic tier) (2), Thunderbolt Hand Crossbow +6 (2), Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Torc of Power Preservation +6, Shadow Band, Spark Slippers (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (epic tier), Many-Fingered Gloves (paragon tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Stone of Wind (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Don't use a crossbow at all. Play an elf (or revenant elf if you want to use sly flourish), and grab the style feat that lets you use short and longbows for rogue powers and class features that normally require a hand crossbow. Bows have better enchants than crossbows, and an elf sniper is a dastardly man.

Alternatively, do use a hand crossbow, and play as a drow. They get two-fisted shooter and a bunch of other ridiculous stuff that makes their hand crossbows insanely powerful. Couple that with another feat they have that allows them to not take ops when they have a light blade in their other hand, and two-weapon opportunity, and you end up with a rogue who is going to pin-cushion everyone.
I was in fact planning to make him a Drow so I think crossbows will suit nicely.

I'm sure dex is going to be my main stat dump. What comes next depends on what else I want him to do I suppose.
Well here he is,

Let me know what you all think. Any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

T

Ki Raal Varn, level 5
Drow, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Build: Shadowy Rogue
Rogue Tactics Option: Cunning Sneak
Rogue Option: Sharpshooter Talent
Sharpshooter Talent Option: Sharpshooter Talent (Crossbow)
Darkfire Option: Darkfire Charisma
Inherent Bonuses
Occupation - Thief (+2 to Stealth)
Theme: Secret Apostate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 12, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 20 Will: 16
HP: 44 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Bluff +12, Perception +7, Stealth +18, Streetwise +10, Thievery +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +3, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +7, Nature +2, Religion +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Secret Apostate Attack: Apostate's Freedom
Drow Racial Power: Darkfire
Rogue Attack 1: Gloaming Cut
Rogue Attack 1: Palming Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Unbalancing Shot
Rogue Attack 1: Scattering Shot
Rogue Utility 2: Fleeting Ghost
Rogue Attack 3: Fleeting Spirit Strike
Rogue Attack 5: Bloodbath

FEATS
Far Shot
Level 2: Two-Fisted Shooter
Level 4: Swift Footwork

ITEMS
Hand crossbow x2
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Crossbow Bolts
Climber's Kit
Thieves' Tools
Camouflaged Clothing
Disguise Kit
Footpads
====== End ======

For basic building advice I'd take a look at the Rogue handbook -> Han Shot First 

This bears repeating, since you took a bunch of bottom of the barrel powers and ignored gold feats. Also drow darkness is guaranteed two turns of CA against everything, and better than risking a miss with Darkfire, and by your next turn, your Darkfire target may already be dead, leaving you with only one turn of CA.
Also looks like you are planning to try and use Stealth so you probably should look at Rules of Hidden Club too.
I'm actually reminded that I forgot to rate Palming Strike - it sucks, but I'll add it. Gloaming Cut is also positively useless to you without an Int modifer (not that I would ever advocate building a rogue with Int), so I would seriously consider picking up Deft Strike or Sly Flourish. If you're going the permastealth route, you're going to want Deft Strike + Ghostwalker Style at some point in your career anyway.

Unbalancing Shot is ok, although my preference is for King's Castle. Also, you should feel bad for taking Scattering Shot. Fleeting Ghost is utterly useless to a cunning sneak so you should really think about something else like Tumble.

To echo Mengu74, Cloud of Darkness is basically your get out of melee free card and your easy-mode CA trigger, so if you're a drow rogue, you absolutely want it over Darkfire.
Went back and re-read all those powers and compared to teh guide and i totally agree with pretty much all of it. Made some changes and here is the new sheet.

Ki Raal Varn, level 5
Drow, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Build: Shadowy Rogue
Rogue Tactics Option: Cunning Sneak
Rogue Option: Sharpshooter Talent
Sharpshooter Talent Option: Sharpshooter Talent (Crossbow)
Inherent Bonuses
Occupation - Thief (+2 to Stealth)
Theme: Secret Apostate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 12, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 20 Will: 16
HP: 44 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Bluff +12, Perception +7, Stealth +18, Streetwise +10, Thievery +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +3, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +7, Nature +2, Religion +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Secret Apostate Attack: Apostate's Freedom
Drow Racial Power: Cloud of Darkness
Rogue Attack 1: Disheartening Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Rogue Attack 1: King's Castle
Rogue Attack 1: Trick Strike
Rogue Utility 2: Tumble
Rogue Attack 3: Fleeting Spirit Strike
Rogue Attack 5: Bloodbath

FEATS
Far Shot
Level 2: Two-Fisted Shooter
Level 4: Swift Footwork

ITEMS
Hand crossbow x2
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Crossbow Bolts
Climber's Kit
Thieves' Tools
Camouflaged Clothing
Disguise Kit
Footpads
====== End ======

Looks good to me, man. I would personally swap Swift Footwork for an expertise feat since having +accuracy is really important on a striker, but you won't really behind the curve on accuracy for a while, so you can feasibly delay it til level 6.
I like swift footwork with blade vault.  I got an arched eyebrow or 2 the first time I pulled that out.