Character selection for pickup game?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to start attending a weekly pickup game at the friendly local gaming shop.  I'm going to put together some characters but would appreciate some advice.  I asked the person who runs the event for suggestions - he said I could show up 30 minutes early and make up a character after chatting with the DM. 

Making a character in 30 minutes? 

Madness.

So I'm thinking about trying to optimize the following (in order)  
1: Optimize DM user friendliness: avoid a build that could confuse / annoy a DM who isn't familiar with charop
2: Optimize fun: minimize chance that a character is ineffective due to lack of party coordination (see defender and some controllers)
3: Optimize character effectiveness in role.   

Seems like running a defender or controller with a pickup group could be very frustrating, with no prior knowledge of other builds or desire to integrate tactics.

I was thinking of building out RenZhe's nice Warlord|Warlock/Avenger build from 5th-12th level.  Striker|Leader seems like you can't go wrong, not knowing what the rest of the party would look like.  I'm inclined to draft a little farther from the PH, if there are any other builds that occur to folks. 

I'm guessing that pickup games open to new players would typically be heroic through low-paragon, but I really have no clue.  I expect after the first month I'll have a clue, but why waste the opportunity to obsess about building a character now?

thanks! 
Invoker is a good choice and probably the best option if you want to go controller.  If you did want to do a defender I would go lay on hands chaladin or baladin, maybe with dragonborn as your race.

There are a good number of 5th man classes and builds that work well in most parties.  Most monks and warlocks fit in well in any party.   Domination domain warpriest fits in well as it has a little control, some striker potential, and is a leader.  Cunning Bard is another good choice since it can cover a lot of skills and bring both leading and control.   Hybrid cleric/striker (ranger/barbarian/avenger) or controller (wizard/invoker/druid) would be my choice if you wanted to hybrid since they can be fairly straightforward for a hybrid and helps in any party.
Thank you both very much.  I made an invoker and I'll probably try a cunning bard and then a cleric|striker.

FWIW - level 10 invoker focused on handing out dazes and turn 1 party friendly effects, then switching to lightning focused divine bolts for battlefield repositioning

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Tirah, level 10 Deva, Invoker Divine Covenant Option: Covenant of Preservation

Nelanther Isles (Nelanther Isles Benefit)

Theme: Seer  

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 10, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 20, WIS 20, CHA 8  

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 10, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 8    

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Ref: 23 Will: 25

HP: 59 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 14  

TRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +11, Arcana +16, Insight +18, Religion +18  

UNTRAINED SKILLS Athletics +5, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +5, Heal +10, History +12, Intimidate +4, Nature +10, Perception +10, Stealth +4, Streetwise +4, Thievery +4  

POWERS

Seer Utility: Cast Fortune

Deva Racial Power: Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes

Invoker Feature: Rebuke Undead

Covenant of Preservation  Power: Preserver's Rebuke

Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts

Invoker Attack 1: Grasping Shards

Invoker Attack 1: Blades of Astral Fire

Invoker Attack 1: Silent Malediction

Invoker Utility 2: Wall of Light

Invoker Attack 3: Word of Ruin

Invoker Attack 5: Searing Orb

Invoker Utility 6: Symbol of Hope

Invoker Attack 7: Written in Fire

Invoker Attack 9: Fourfold Invocation of Doom

Invoker Utility 10: Covenant of Endurance  

FEATS

Level 1: Ritual Caster

Level 1: Superior Will

Level 2: Battle Intuition

Level 4: Staff Expertise

Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Quickbeam staff)

Level 8: Power of Skill

Level 10: Mark of Storm  

ITEMS

Ritual Book , Hand of Fate , Brew Potion , Tactician's Finemail +2 x1, Lucky Charm +2 x1, Adventurer's Kit, Disenchant Magic Item, Magic Quickbeam staff +3 x1

Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Eberron Shard of Lightning (heroic tier) , Avandra's Blessing of Confidence (heroic tier)

====== End ======

Something leadery? Every party needs a healer. Having too much leader can be bad, but not having enough is worse. I'de suggest one who'se got good party synergy potential without being dependant. Battlefront or Bowverlord are okay choices. Also melee based clerics.
Invoker|Cleric would be a great option. You get terrific AC and healing from the cleric side as well as an awesome at-will (hand of radiance) and great encounter and daily options from the invoker side.

Morninglord is an excellent leader PP for this sort of build with the right party op. Just tell your friends to pick up Pervasive Light in paragon and everyone gets +10 damage against targets you hit. With all the cleric + invoker bursts and blasts, you can make the whole board vulnerable.