Fiend Hunter

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings Community, my question concerns Fiend Hunter. Scenario: I cast him and he resolves, and on my opponent's turn, he draws and casts say, Tragic Slip, then I cast Cloudshift to counter it. The question is this; would the creature exiled by Fiend Hunter return to the battlefield and if I so chose would be exiled again from him re-entering the battlefield like I am assuming? Or would it remain exiled and I would be able to choose another target? The latter seems rather unlikely but I just wanted to make sure. Obviously I wouldn't have to exile the same creature if I didn't want to. Just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. Thanks.
When cloudshift resolves both triggers from the fiend hunter will trigger, the one that brings a creature back and the one that exiles a creature.  You choose the order they are put on the stack.  Since the one that exiles a creature needs a target you would need to choose that target at the time it's put on the stack.  This means you can't choose the creature from before since it will still be exiled when you choose a target.  No matter which order you put the triggers on the stack, a new creature will be exiled and the creature that was exiled will return to the battlefield.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

When cloudshift resolves both triggers from the fiend hunter will trigger, the one that brings a creature back and the one that exiles a creature.  You choose the order they are put on the stack.  Since the one that exiles a creature needs a target you would need to choose that target at the time it's put on the stack.  This means you can't choose the creature from before since it will still be exiled when you choose a target.  No matter which order you put the triggers on the stack, a new creature will be exiled and the creature that was exiled will return to the battlefield.

That makes perfect sense, thank you
also note, you can use Fiend Hunter and Cloudshift to exile creatures permanently.

Cast your Hunter.
Let it resolve and enter the field. 
It's EtB trigger triggers.
Choose a target creature to exile.
In response to that trigger, cast Cloudshift.
Let Cloudshift resolve.
Hunter's two triggers trigger, put them on the stack.
Choose a second creature for the new EtB trigger.
Let the EtB trigger resolve exiling the second chosen creature.
Let the LtB trigger resolve, returning nothing (its linked EtB is still waiting to resolve).
Finally, let the first EtB trigger exile the first chosen creature forever. 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments