Bant Midrange

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is the Bant Midrange deck I've been brewing. Just looking for some thoughts/critique.

Creatures
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Restoration Angel
3 Geist of Saint Traft
3 New Prahv Guildmage
2 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
2 Thragtusk
2 Armada Wurm

Spells
3 Selesnya Charm
3 Rancor
2 Azorius Charm
3 Inaction Injunction

Enchantments
3 Oblivion Ring

Land
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple Garden
3 Sunpetal Grove
3 Glacial Fortress
2 Hinterland Harbor
3 Forest
1 Plains
1 Island
1 Gavony Township
1 Grove of the Guardian

Still undecided on the sideboard. Also not so sure on the Inaction Injunction. The cantrip is nice, but I already have O-Ring and the charms to help get rid of annoying creatures/help my creatures get through.

blue seems really, really forced here.  you're better off straight GW, or maybe junk colors since the mana will be better for use of mana dorks (arbor elf, specifically)

this still needs a lot of work and there are a lot of things you've left out. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Doing some playtesting and have made some changes -

-2 Armada wurm
-3 Inaction Injunction
-2 Oblivion Ring 

+2 Wolfir Silverheart
+3 Feeling of Dread
+2 Detention Sphere

As well as a sideboard -

3 Judge's Familiar
3 Knight of Glory
3 Rest in Peace
2 Negate
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Syncopate

blue seems really, really forced here.  you're better off straight GW, or maybe junk colors since the mana will be better for use of mana dorks (arbor elf, specifically)

Admiteddly it is more of a GWu deck. But GoST is an absolute beast, Azorius Charm and Detention Sphere are pretty good, not to mention counterspells in the board for Bonfire and the like. Guildmage is a bear sure, but he can give GoST and other beaters evasion in the early game and is still relevant in the mid-late game with detain.

this still needs a lot of work and there are a lot of things you've left out.

Such as...? If you're going to say I've left things out, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know what things you think I left out :P
i'd move into just GW which opens up another mana dork.  fill out with more 3 drops.  oblivion ring is still serviceable.  add more in color 2 drops (there are a lot of options here).

i don't know specific cards off hand, but a quick search of gatherer should tell you what you need, i guess. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

I think BF is right, Geist is much worsenow that the format is all about Zombies v Thragtusk. I'd say he's a sideboard card for most decks, and certainly doesn't justify a third colour.

Charm and injunction both suck. Go GW, your mana gets way better, and you don't really lose gas.
Made a fair number of changes to the deck. I still have Geist and Azorius charm, but thats it for blue. Not much more than a splash now. When I was playtesting I was just hurting way too much in the early game. That and certain cards just were not making a big enough impact like trostani. Geist is still a champ, especially swinging in with a selesnya charm or the like, or bonding the angel to a wolfir.

Creatures:
4 Dryad Militant
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Restoration Angel
3 Silverblade Paladin
2 Thragtusk
2 Wolfir Silverheart

Spells:
4 Call of the Conclave
4 Selesnya Charm
2 Azorius Charm

Enchantments:
3 Rancor
3 Oblivion Ring

Land:
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
3 Hallowed Fountain
3 Glacial Fortress
3 Forest
2 Hinterland Habor
2 Plains
1 Gavony Township
1 Island

Sideboard:
3 Negate
3 Knight of Glory
3 Rest in Peace
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Judge's Familiar
2 Ray of Revelation (Debating on switching this one out for Sundering Growth I lose the flashback, but if I wait till I attack, I can always populate an angel token.)

Been running very smoothly for me since I've made these changes. Any more thoughts/critiques?
Here is my take on G/Wu that i've been workin on for a week...

[/c]
Lands 25
5 x Forest
1 x Island
3 x Hinterland harbor     
4 x Hallowed Fountain       
4 x Temple Garden    
4 x
2 x Glacial Fortress
2 x Gavony township

Creatures 24
3 x Arbor Elf
3 x Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 x Geist of Saint Traft
3 x Centaur Healer
3 x Restoration Angel
3 x Thragtusk
3 x Armada Wurm
2 x Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
1 x Sigarda, Host of Herons  

Spells 12
3 x Call of the Conclave
3 x Selesnya Charm  
2 x Detention Sphere
3 x Farseek

Enchantment
1 x Collective Blessing

Sideboard
2 x Loxodon Smiter
2 x Detention Sphere
2 x Heroe's Reunion
2 x Graffdigger's Cage
2 x Supreme Verdict
2 x Terminus
2 X Pithing Needle

I don't see dryad militant as being that much of a house against much. Yes, smiter is good, but i think Centaur healer is better against g/b zombies.

I don't see dryad militant as being that much of a house against much. Yes, smiter is good, but i think Centaur healer is better against g/b zombies.

The thing for me was that I was only running 4 Avacyn's pilgrims and no other mana dorks. It just wasn't consistant enough for me, since I couldn't guarentee to be able to have him in my opening hand for that turn 2 Geist or Smiter, and he's irrelevant to me in the late game. Dryad Militant at least has the benefit of being a bit more aggressive as a 1 drop creature itself, and still at least somewhat relevant as a late game draw due to its ability.

As for centaur healer... Azorious charm and thragtusk have been enough lifegain for me to put myself out of zombie range. 

[/c]
Lands 25
5 x Forest
1 x Island
3 x Hinterland harbor     
4 x Hallowed Fountain       
4 x Temple Garden    
4 x
2 x Glacial Fortress
2 x Gavony township

Creatures 24
3 x Arbor Elf
3 x Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 x Geist of Saint Traft
3 x Centaur Healer
3 x Restoration Angel
3 x Thragtusk
3 x Armada Wurm

Spells 12
3 x Call of the Conclave
3 x Selesnya Charm  
2 x Detention Sphere
3 x Farseek

Enchantment
1 x Collective Blessing

Sideboard
2 x Loxodon Smiter
2 x Detention Sphere
2 x Heroe's Reunion
2 x Graffdigger's Cage
2 x Supreme Verdict
2 x Terminus
2 X Pithing Needle

again, there's no real reason to play blue here.  cut the blue lands and giest for a more consistent GW

what is pithing needle even for? 

Photobucket

again, there's no real reason to play blue here.  cut the blue lands and giest for a more consistent GW

Oh I dunno... maybe Lotleth troll. No the blue stays, for supreme verdict, options against controll >>> See Detention sphere's and Geist. Give me a G/W answer for control that I don't already have in the deck.... or g/w options that are answers for g/b zombies that I don't already have. Going into blue gives the deck the Midrange to late game feel.
oblivion ring?

i'm not sure why you need a wrath in a deck that's playing this many creatures.... 

Photobucket

So in testing i've been thinking of dropping the Geist of Saint Traft for Sphinx's Revelation It just seems so much more powerful than geist in this deck. Thoughts?
So in testing i've been thinking of dropping the Geist of Saint Traft for Sphinx's Revelation It just seems so much more powerful than geist in this deck. Thoughts?

Propably a good idea. 
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild

Oh I dunno... maybe Lotleth troll. No the blue stays, for supreme verdict, options against controll >>> See Detention sphere's and Geist. Give me a G/W answer for control that I don't already have in the deck.... or g/w options that are answers for g/b zombies that I don't already have. Going into blue gives the deck the Midrange to late game feel.

Sigarda and Thalia can both help you against control without going into blue.
So my current dilemna with the above list is whether the 2 call of the conclave should be 2 cloudshift. Any thoughts?
So after more testing i've made the following changes

[/c]
Lands 24
5 x Forest
3 x Hinterland harbor     
4 x Hallowed Fountain       
4 x Temple Garden    
4 x
2 x Glacial Fortress
2 x Gavony township

Creatures 24
3 x Arbor Elf
3 x Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 x Centaur Healer
3 x Restoration Angel
3 x Thragtusk
3 x Armada Wurm
2 x Fiend Hunter

Spells 12
2 x Call of the Conclave
3 x Selesnya Charm  
3 x Oblivion Ring
3 x Farseek
2 x Sphinx's Revelation

Enchantment
1 x Collective Blessing

Sideboard
1 x Righteous Authority
1 x Rest In Peace
2 x Detention Sphere
2 x Heroe's Reunion
2 x Graffdigger's Cage
2 x Supreme Verdict
2 x Terminus
2 X Pithing Needle

lol.... ok, last time i'm mentioning this.  CUT BLUE!  you have ZERO reason for even running it.  you shouldn't be running sphinxes revelation, because it doesn't belong.  you want a big card draw spell for your green creature deck?  garruk, primal hunter.  there ya go.

again, wrath effects are a little awkward here. 

Photobucket

I think if you have a third color at all here it should be black.  You only have to look at the available lands and it makes more sense.  You are a base green deck, white secondary.  The shock lands you have now are right for a base white deck, since that has the best/most early mana.  On the other hand, Temple Garden and Overgrown Tomb make for a much more consistent green deck that also runs white and black.  And Arbor Elf taps for all your colors then.

As for actual tools, Disciple of Bolas is much more efficient in your deck than Sphinx's Revelation will ever be.  Unburial Rites gives you great endurance, Grisly Salvage gives you digging power.  Appetite for Brains is your anti-control sideboard, since it takes out any sweeper that isn't Bonfire or Mortars as well as Thragtusk and most planeswalkers. 
Oblivion Ring is usually just as good as Detention Sphere, especially since you're putting on enough pressure that there shouldn't be multiple things you need to get rid of.  Sphere is at its best against tokens, and your creatures just completely outclass theirs so you shouldn't care about them.
I apologize for the lack of hyperlinks in this list. If someone whom is willing to be generous with their time would message me on here with the syntax for putting links into my posts, that would be awesome. I'm only now getting into posting on this forum.

The following is a list I came up with over the past two days using Gatherer, no playtesting has been done. This Band Midrange deck focuses more on higher end threats and control. Some of the numbers can obviously be tweaked and Blessings of Nature could just be more Rancors or even something else entirely. I do think this is a pretty good frame work for a deck of this type.

Supreme Verdict works in this deck because a lot of the low end creatues in use do their main role when they come into play, and thereore I won't miss them. They also are good for forcing your oppoent to overcommit into the board sweeper. Not to mention Moorland Haunt allows you to reuse those resources.

Armada Wurm x 2
Angel of Serenity x 2
Borderland Ranger x 3
Deadbridge Goliath x 2
Gatecreeper Vine x 4
Loxodon Smiter x 3
Sigarda, Host of Herons x 2
Thragtusk x 2
Wolfir Silverheart x 3

----
                                   23 creatures
Blessings of Nature x 2
Cyclonic Rift x 3
Detention Sphere x 2
Rancor x 2
Selesnya Charm x 2
Supreme Verdict x 2

----
                                   13 other
Azorius Guildgate x 1
Forest x 2
Gavony Township x 1
Glacial Fortress x 1
Grove of the Guardian x 1
Hallowed Fountain x 2
Hinterland Harbor x 2
Island x 1
Moorland Haunt x 1
Plains x 2
Selesnya Guildgate x 2
Sunpetal Grove x 4
Temple Garden x 4

----
                                   24 land
                                   ----
                                   60 total

Sideboard Considerations

Crushing Vines
Deathrite Shaman
Elderscale Wurm
Selesnya Charm
Sundering Growth
Ulvenwald Tracker

-----------------------
I'm pretty sure there is another competitive Bant deck in the format, while I was looking through Gatherer I realzed there is a good bit of support for a ramp/control deck that runs far fewer creatures and plays a pretty strong control game. Maybe I'll look into putting something along those lines together and posting it.

-----------------------

To comment on the most recent list of this deck... I don't think 1 mana creature accelerators and farseek(or similar effects) belong in the same deck. One direction focuses on strong 3 and 4 drops and the other focuses more on strong 4 and 5 drops. With that many 1 drop accelerators you want to spend you second turn( and successive turns) rolling out threats, not casting a sorcery accelerator.
if your going to run Bant Midrange, this is my suggestion as it works quite well with a 5-0 record with no game losses 

4x Temple garden
4xHallowed Fountain
4xGlacial Fortress
4xSunpetal Grove
3x hinterland harbour
1 plain 1 forest 1 island
1x rogue's passage (delicious card!)

4x Geist of Saint Traft
1x Sigarda Host of Herons
1x Armada Wurm
1x Azorious Guildmage
1x Selesynia Guildmage
2x Loxodon Smitter
2 x Thragtusk
1x Snapcaster Mage
1x Restoration Angel

4x Farseek
4x Supreme Verdict
2x Azorious Charm
2x Selesynia Charm
3x Cyclonic Rift
1x Sphinx' Revelation
2x Detention Sphere
1x Terminus
1x Entreat the Angels

1x Garruk Relentless
1x Jace Architect
1x Tamiyo Moon Sage

Sideboard (currently)

2x Syncopate
2x Nevermore
1x Dispel
1x Sigarda Host of Herons
1x Entreat the Angels
1x Azorious Charm
1x Selesynia Charm
2x Sundering Growth
1x Witchbane orb
1x Angel of Serenity
1x Terminus
1x Snapcaster Mage  

As for some of the decisions I have made, (the Guildmages an Nevermore etc.) well just test them out an play them... you will quickly see why they are there! As they work just awesome!